"Hold on I gotta pee I'm gonna edge you guys"Millie Parfait

Idol EN Gen 2 Premier/Debut/Digging thread

Scoots

The Pontiff of PonWolf
Early Adopter
There's something I can't quite put my finger on. I'm not really good at articulating it, but I think it's better to just do it with pictures anyway:

View attachment 29603
FyLrpKDXsAYmCtB.jpg

I'm trying not to be too much of a PC fag but the top picture looks much more aesthetically pleasing to me. Maybe someone with more design experience can articulate it better than I can, but it just doesn't quite feel like the models from Idol belong together, the styles are too different.
I think just going by my preference I like the muted colors of Alias more but the Endless girls aren't bad to me I think the worst one is Coni but stiil not bad for a clown

RestlessRain

Early Adopter
The first thing from the get go is the silhouettes, all of phase's silhouettes are unique enough that you associate them with the character instantly that's why having variety in bodies and statures is a must when you're designing a group of characters, now compare this to idol's. The only one who stands out is the dragon one, the other 4 blend together because they have almost the same body proportions.
Judging the designs themselves that's a bit more subjective because of personal taste but from a more technical standpoint idol's designs are either overdesigned or basic and some of their color palettes will kill your eyes. The clown is a fucking nightmare to look at if you want to keep your retinas. The dragon's colors are just full on neon light and nothing blends together nicely everything you look at is a highlight. The princes has a decent palette but I would've gone with a brunette instead of a blonde but that's just me, the design is just basic IMO. The goth girl has a good palette for what they were aiming but the design is visual aids, too much at once. The only one that I think is decent enough but loses points by being put with the rest is the racoon but even then the design overall is pretty basic. Some of these are what a child that has started to make their oc would make if they had a professional artist as their slave :Vesper-UNHINGED:

I'm not being a phasefag though, you can check any other corpo gen and see some of the things I pointed out, this really feels like it's someone's tumblr OC that they got a pro artist to draw. The model isn't everything but you really need something at least memorable if you want to market your shit. For example just look at erina's design, if you put that thing on a poster people will remember it but if you put the dragon from idol you've seen at least 5 designs like those and one is that redhead from niji from the top of my head.

There's some good points in here.

I've decided to split the group into three. I'd apologize for my shitty image editing if, well, I gave a shit.

1686343450061.png

These kind of look similar in design. One looks much more supernatural than the other but there's some similarities in dress sense and hair style and brightness of colour (even for the purple-black goth rocker). Like, if you told me these characters belonged in the same anime, I'd believe you.

1686343659715.png

These two kind of look similar as well - straight hair, more conservative outfits, more cute in style, slightly more muted colour palettes. If you told me these two were in an anime together I'd believe you, but if you then told me the previous two were also in that anime I wouldn't. I can't imagine the visual style of a setting where these two characters belong with the prevous two characters, they are too different in presentation.

As for the clown-acrobat...
1686343824601.png

Abomination. And, again, looks nothing like the previous two sets of characters I posted, and I can't imagine (and don't want to imagine) a setting where she fits in with either of the previous two groups.

Scoots

The Pontiff of PonWolf
Early Adopter

I've decided to split the group into three.
View attachment 29616

These kind of look similar in design. One looks much more supernatural than the other but there's some similarities in dress sense and hair style and brightness of colour (even for the purple-black goth rocker). Like, if you told me these characters belonged in the same anime, I'd believe you.

View attachment 29618
These two kind of look similar as well - straight hair, more conservative outfits, more cute in style, slightly more muted colour palettes. If you told me these two were in an anime together I'd believe you, but if you then told me the previous two were also in that anime I wouldn't. I can't imagine the visual style of a setting where these two characters belong with the prevous two characters, they are too different in presentation.

View attachment 29620
Abomination. And, again, looks nothing like the previous two sets of characters I posted, and I can't imagine (and don't want to imagine) a setting where she fits in with either of the previous two groups.
Prolly would be a better Idea to compare endless to E-Sekai tbh

Imo neither group looks like they belong together except Fuyo and Yuko as holiday themed designs

Last edited:

PleaseCheckYourReceipts

...historical accuracy?
Unfortunately, if you ask questions, you don't want answers.

Someone will eventually start with a cover of My Sharona. At least be on point.

Lurker McSpic

We need to increase the hag population
Prolly would be a better Idea to compare endless to E-Sekai tbh
View attachment 29622View attachment 29623
Imo neither group looks like they belong together except Fuyo and Yuko as holiday themed designs
looking for character consistency in a vtuber gen is a fools errand unless they're going for an specific theme. The difference is day and night holy shit :whatastory:either gen1 had better design sense or head jew put his foot down on some things. In the end they will still do great even if their designs are basically generic shit since head jew has infinite money for marketing but if you were to let them stand on their own they would have a hard time getting enough eyes, gen 1 while more simple in their designs they at least were interesting enough to look at.

cucurut

I've decided to split the group into three. I'd apologize for my shitty image editing if, well, I gave a shit.

View attachment 29616

View attachment 29618

View attachment 29620
I really think the issue is only in the first group. There is just no clear theme.
Why pierced elf ears? Horns looks weird. Why thorns as accessories? Either drop them or make them part of body. Scaly hands, ass while legs are human is such an odd choice. Clothes... Just mess. Also way, way too many colors - red, light blue, dark blue(pants), yellow accent, and whatever the pants and back of hands are. At least there is only one symbol - cloud.
Roca - why at the same time use symbols of cross, thunder, eyes and heart? Especially why thunder?
Why phase characters look so much better? Because there is no elements which do not add to their theme. You have military brown-pink wolf, pink princess, white-black angel-devil with red heart accent, white-blue tiger cyborg, beige-green loli panda, starry woman with scissors. Shiina has the lightest theme but it is still pulled off somehow.
The same with e-sekai. Yellow-black electric eel with thunder, poor blue ghost baby, gold-green leprechaun, ... this one - whatever, and violet-black princess. Even if the models are more complex (Juna, Rin) there is nothing useless or unrelated to the theme.
I think clown is one of the better designs. I hope the talent is exceptional and has clear idea what to do with the gimmick character. Otherwise, why?

Murrayしないで

Just go live!
I do think the bright colors come off as garish. In isolation they look fine, but then you put all five of them together like that and the clashes are apparent. I don't really think it's necessary to think of them needing to have the same theme or anything like that.

I do think there's a broader problem of new character designs coming off a bit checklist-y, borrowing elements from established characters and not thinking very far outside the box, but that's not something exclusive to Idol. But it's not hard to see the dragon as less thicc Coco and the racoon as a Panko recolor OC donut steel, about as much as Yuko/Gura.

Lazybug

Punished bug girl lover
I'm probably the only one with the inverse opinion busy designs don't bother me I actually kind of like them. The raccoon and octopus girl are even kinda plain. The only thing that throws me off is the Clown girls chest which to me looks like she was meant to have boobs but they got lopped off at the last minute.

CalciumAnimal

Drink Milk
Clowns not even once.

reinigen

Dang it
Ward Security

God's Strongest Dragoon

Shuba Saber

MPP
Early Adopter
Aviel putting his infinite shekels to use.

Wonder who else he paid and how much he put into advertising.

reinigen

Dang it
Ward Security
Oh no, that was a "haha funny" video. Not interested in the clown in that way. She'd have to be more like Bouncy to suit my tastes. :smugselen:

Johnny Jambalaya

99%
Early Adopter
Ward Security
Oh no, that was a "haha funny" video. Not interested in the clown in that way. She'd have to be more like Bouncy to suit my tastes. :smugselen:

Absolutely haram

God's Strongest Dragoon

preparetospray.png

sbm

Early Adopter
Archivist

Abomination

The abominable amalgamation known as "chyaaat!"
View attachment 29620
Don't make fun of me like that.
:annoyedpippa:

I do think the bright colors come off as garish. In isolation they look fine, but then you put all five of them together like that and the clashes are apparent. I don't really think it's necessary to think of them needing to have the same theme or anything like that.
100% agree with this. While the body proportions are a bit too similar to each other, some of them look like they're trying their best to look unique and are just overkilling it. As you said, if it was just one or two, it wouldn't stand out as bad, but as is, it's pretty intense.

However, at the end of the day, I guess all that really matters is if they are entertaining streamers. Don't want to judge them based on their models. I'm sure they're all excited to get started streaming and getting settled into things, so I wish them the best for that.

Lee Crabb

Resident Liacon
I initially thought Coni's design was kinda bad but I must say its slowly growing on me.

Azehara

!!Foot Dox Confirmed!!
Early Adopter
Here's the debut schedules, and apparently all the talents will have a cover song premiering, which seems like a good move, bit generic song selection but unfortunately to be expected.
These songs are so overdone by now. I guess they get picked so much because the licensing might be easy to acquire but jesus. Wish we would get more obscure songs.

They literally named the raccoon, raccoon.
CONI CONI is going to get a certain type of audience with a name and design like that.
:vespernice:

Based on the strength of the vocals needed to do Backlight correctly, people are floating the guess that Roca is Chapipi

Edit:
People are also guessing Kai is this Peurto Rican VTuber that graduated recently

Someone has also compiled a list of all graduations thatight be relevant in 2023 so far.
list of the graduated/hiatus chuubas post-2023

>Nunki https://twitter.com/nunki_dayo Graduated Febuary 26th
>Lilita LaPlume https://twitter.com/lilitapuff Graduated Febuary 29th
>ProjectHarune https://twitter.com/ProjectHarune Graduated March 20th
>TsunariVtuber https://twitter.com/TsunariVtuber Graduated April 2nd
>Elaine https://twitter.com/Elaine_KoMETA Graduated May 8th
>Wabyuu https://twitter.com/waabyuu Graduated May 20th
>Iekushi Chapipi https://twitter.com/IekushiChapipi Hiatus May 25th
>Blair Labri https://twitter.com/BlairLabri_NS Graduated May 26th
>Natsumi Moe https://twitter.com/vtuber_moe Retired May 30th

upcoming graduation/hiatus chuubas

>Miria https://twitter.com/Miria_KoMETA Graduating June 26th
>Virgil https://twitter.com/Virgil_KoMETA Graduating June 26th
>Ayane Hylo https://twitter.com/ayanehylo Graduating July 16th

Which one of this girls was it that left a "If I were to reincarnate as someone else don't talk about my past life" message in their graduation notice? I think that one might be one to look for (the name escapes me and I dont think I wrote her name down).

looking for character consistency in a vtuber gen is a fools errand unless they're going for an specific theme. The difference is day and night holy shit :whatastory:either gen1 had better design sense or head jew put his foot down on some things. In the end they will still do great even if their designs are basically generic shit since head jew has infinite money for marketing but if you were to let them stand on their own they would have a hard time getting enough eyes, gen 1 while more simple in their designs they at least were interesting enough to look at.
I agree with you. Unless they use the same artists you cant expect shit about gens. Idols didnt have the same artist but they did have the same rigger though. I think that might also add to the consistency if they all have the same bounce and similar movements.

I do think there's a broader problem of new character designs coming off a bit checklist-y, borrowing elements from established characters and not thinking very far outside the box, but that's not something exclusive to Idol. But it's not hard to see the dragon as less thicc Coco and the racoon as a Panko recolor OC donut steel, about as much as Yuko/Gura.
Given that these girls will stream alone 95% of the time, it makes sense for their colors to be as saturated as they are. Similar to a kid's toy that has saturated colors and sparkly shit.

I initially thought Coni's design was kinda bad but I must say its slowly growing on me.
I really like it. Has really nice gremlin energy and her hair is really nice. Its going to be really yab once the jacket gets removed since the pants seem to be one of those lowleg pussy-hugger type pants. Also going by the placement of her shit it basically barely covers her nips.

I like them all. I do agree that as a group they all seem a bit mismatched but they can work around that with their attitude and personality. Blue-loli buff is evident from the start unless people have already identified her and mass migrated from her past life.

1686367060151.png

Aquatic Novellite

Freshwater Shiorin
Early Adopter
Top Bottom