"Nodoka... you've got no technique when it commes to tickling; The only way to learn is to tickle girls whenever you meet them!"A-chan

vReverie Implosion Watch - Cheri Lupina and Erika Byakko graduation announced, other talents suddenly on PL accounts

Murrayしないで

Just go live!
So Xvkr started me down a bit of a rabbit-hole. I was informed that vReverie's parent company had no US holdings *at least during generation 1's existence*. I've been searching myself, and 'L&C Digital LLP' has nothing in the US Securities & Exchanges database. I am absolutely not a professional in any way when it comes to business matters, but from what I can tell, they have no established US holdings at all even today. If this can be verified with any accuracy, it would be pretty significant.

What relevance would them having or not having a US holding company have?

MerelyTourist

jkterjter jkterjtier
LM's Ladyboy
Look at Jason from AkioAir. He deliberately pursued spurious legal action against former talents because he hated them for 'betraying him'. Look at WACTOR, who publicly doxed former talents. A company like vReverie has prettymuch all a talent's vital info, and that gives them tremendous leverage even if the talent desperately wants to get away from them. In a case like this where the founders are extremely malicious assholes, it makes perfect sense to me that they want to be as careful as possible.
Dangers of doxxing are greatly exaggerated. And two dumbfucks in singapore are in extremely weak legal position too, they literally risking confiscation of their physical properties for debts, be it their talents or other entities. I highly doubt they can throw at talents anything that could survive motion to dismiss, if it even gets to that. Talent, on the other hand, have really good chances to fuck up founders if they choose so. Especially if they're also in SG.

The Proctor

Manager Arc Unlocked?
Staff member
Lovebug Proctologist
What relevance would them having or not having a US holding company have?

Legal rights. They need to have some sort of USA-based holdings to sue in a US court over things like breach-of-contract, NDA violation, etc.

MerelyTourist

jkterjter jkterjtier
LM's Ladyboy
Legal rights. They need to have some sort of USA-based holdings to sue in a US court over things like breach-of-contract, NDA violation, etc.
Ehm... not really? They will have bad standing in court and will be heavily scrutinized for tax situation, but this is not a requirement to sue.

Thomas Talus

Εκ λόγου άλλος εκβαίνει λόγος
Early Adopter
Ehm... not really? They will have bad standing in court and will be heavily scrutinized for tax situation, but this is not a requirement to sue.
This is way outside my normal practice, but my understanding is that the Alien Tort Statute only allows non-US parties to sue US parties in US courts if the claim falls under those defined as prohibited norms under either the law of nations or treaties adopted by the United States. It's more about human rights violations or piracy than about things like breach of contract.

Nenélove

Menace of the Asylum
Early Adopter
Nene's Pet Latinx
Latinx/Latine
This is way outside my normal practice, but my understanding is that the Alien Tort Statute only allows non-US parties to sue US parties in US courts if the claim falls under those defined as prohibited norms under either the law of nations or treaties adopted by the United States. It's more about human rights violations or piracy than about things like breach of contract.
Suing people in another country is a huge pain in the ass, specially if both countries don't have diplomatic relations. You can't force a foreign court to take a case.

MerelyTourist

jkterjter jkterjtier
LM's Ladyboy
Suing people in another country is a huge pain in the ass, specially if both countries don't have diplomatic relations. You can't force a foreign court to take a case.
Yup, this is why i wrote "if it even gets to motion to dismiss part". Judge can just decline without reading, and local lawyer you hired won't run to file any complaints to the board, unless it's some surefire case worth literally millions to his pocket.

Top Bottom