"Love huge breast, in my hands and in my mouth, yup would rather say THAT! THAT WON'T GET ME FIRED!"Mori Calliope

Vidya Games Thread

Stunned But Dumb

PleaseCheckYourReceipts

Go too far, walk back the edge cases you know exist but were going to get the most pushback, implement the "better" version that was your intention at the start.

Someone started teaching this method in the mid 2000s in business schools, it seems. It's way, way, WAY too common of an approach to not be some Taught to the MBAs crap.

UberSoldat

So, since Mortal Kombat 1 is about to release, spoilers are already out in the wild.
If you didn't like previous NR stories, this one won't fare any better apparently.
Full synopsis here, https://www.reddit.com/r/GamingLeak.../full_synopsis_of_mortal_kombat_1_story_mode/
a

Having watched footage myself, it honestly doesn't look too bad. Good character moments sprinkled throughout.

Last edited:

reinigen

Dang it
Ward Security
Go too far, walk back the edge cases you know exist but were going to get the most pushback, implement the "better" version that was your intention at the start.

Someone started teaching this method in the mid 2000s in business schools, it seems. It's way, way, WAY too common of an approach to not be some Taught to the MBAs crap.
I believe that technique is colloquially known as "The Big Ask".

PleaseCheckYourReceipts

I believe that technique is colloquially known as "The Big Ask".
Yeah, it's always clearly been from a 1 to 1 negotiating tactical approach, but Tactics aren't a Strategy & you can only do it once since it comes with severe Brand Damage. Strategic Planning at a higher level is, mostly, about setting a Framework in which you operate. The catastrophic problem with "The Big Ask", from a large scale business, is rather than gaining compliance with your customers -- by walking to your intended point by removing "overreach" -- you've informed them of what ways you view as acceptable to raid their wallet. (And most of the overreach points are egregious insults to several niches within customer base.)

To skip having this become a long rant, if some C-Suite level ever happens across this: fire anyone that suggest this tactic for a public-facing Brand change. The entire department, if necessary. It's one of the most pathetic "can't see the forest for the trees" mistakes around right now.

As a recent, to this point, example of it completely burning down a company, Hasbro/WOTC was going to roll out new guidelines but they got leaked early before they could execute on the random Announcement part. Wouldn't have really mattered, the response would have been just as vicious. That document existing burned down 2-3 billion in Brand Value in a week and cost direct money because it badly hurt the Soon-to-be-Released D&D Movie. A Business should not be in the Business of telling their customers to find viable alternatives. Fire morons that suggest such things.

God's Strongest Dragoon

So, since Mortal Kombat 1 is about to release, spoilers are already out in the wild.
If you didn't like previous NR stories, this one won't fare any better apparently.
Full synopsis here, https://www.reddit.com/r/GamingLeak.../full_synopsis_of_mortal_kombat_1_story_mode/
a

Having watched footage myself, it honestly doesn't look too bad. Good character moments sprinkled throughout.
Wow, so they really just fucking speedran through the tournament, Outworld invasion of Earthrealm, ejected Onaga's storyline out of an airlock, and then finished it off with some more multiverse shenanigans to end it with a big reference to Armageddon. What the fuck. Definitely going to watch a playthrough of this shitshow. Some character moments sound kind of interesting but that overall plot is such a mess.

ValkyrieAce

in a toxic relationship with IRyS
a

I'll just watch one of the inevitable cut scene uploads. NRS games always feel like shit to play, so I just check out whatever the dumb story is.

No way dude

DISCORD delenda est
o4ohaht1vxnb1.webp

reinigen

Dang it
Ward Security

Awoogers

basic ass man who loves the british funny woman

reinigen

Dang it
Ward Security
Surprised no one posted, but we have a doubleheader tomorrow. Morning Nintendo Direct, and afternoon Playstation State of Play.

Rumors swirling for a new Donkey Kong game and F-Zero. Potentially even a Switch port of the HD versions of Twilight Princess and Wind Waker from the WiiU. Despite the Switch 2 supposedly shown behind closed doors at Gamescom, don't expect a Switch 2 announcement just yet though as I doubt they'll want to impact Holiday sales.

Big rumor for the State of Play is Capcom announcing the next Monster Hunter as a PS5 exclusive.

God's Strongest Dragoon

Yeah, it's always clearly been from a 1 to 1 negotiating tactical approach, but Tactics aren't a Strategy & you can only do it once since it comes with severe Brand Damage. Strategic Planning at a higher level is, mostly, about setting a Framework in which you operate. The catastrophic problem with "The Big Ask", from a large scale business, is rather than gaining compliance with your customers -- by walking to your intended point by removing "overreach" -- you've informed them of what ways you view as acceptable to raid their wallet. (And most of the overreach points are egregious insults to several niches within customer base.)

To skip having this become a long rant, if some C-Suite level ever happens across this: fire anyone that suggest this tactic for a public-facing Brand change. The entire department, if necessary. It's one of the most pathetic "can't see the forest for the trees" mistakes around right now.

As a recent, to this point, example of it completely burning down a company, Hasbro/WOTC was going to roll out new guidelines but they got leaked early before they could execute on the random Announcement part. Wouldn't have really mattered, the response would have been just as vicious. That document existing burned down 2-3 billion in Brand Value in a week and cost direct money because it badly hurt the Soon-to-be-Released D&D Movie. A Business should not be in the Business of telling their customers to find viable alternatives. Fire morons that suggest such things.
Now every mid-sized indie dev that was ever considering making a game with their product is going to fuck off, which was their entire market. The devs behind Slay the Spire have already stated they're scratching all the work they put into Slay the Spire 2 on Unity and are now going to find a new game engine.

Also did some more research on this whole shitshow. Apparently Unity bought out an Israeli company (I'm not joking) called Ironsource, who was famous for spyware. So supposedly the whole thing about Unity's engine sending info back to their servers about your hardware is actually going to be used to track installs, so that's how they'll magically know. You know what that means? People pirating games made with Unity will also count towards the downloads. That's $0.20 per download. It costs me ZERO dollars to pirate Cult of the Lamb and set up a script to keep installing and uninstalling it over night while I'm sleeping. What does this mean to me? Nothing. What does this mean to the devs? A $4,000 USD fee from the 20,000 installations. Oh gee, I hope there's not some super profitable company using Unity right now.

OH WAIT
genshit.jpg

Mortal Kombat 1 Cutscene movie already out for those that want to watch it

Last edited:

PleaseCheckYourReceipts

Now every mid-sized indie dev that was ever considering making a game with their product is going to fuck off, which was their entire market. The devs behind Slay the Spire have already stated they're scratching all the work they put into Slay the Spire 2 on Unity and are now going to find a new game engine.

Also did some more research on this whole shitshow. Apparently Unity bought out an Israeli company (I'm not joking) called Ironsource, who was famous for spyware. So supposedly the whole thing about Unity's engine sending info back to their servers about your hardware is actually going to be used to track installs, so that's how they'll magically know. You know what that means? People pirating games made with Unity will also count towards the downloads. That's $0.20 per download. It costs me ZERO dollars to pirate Cult of the Lamb and set up a script to keep installing and uninstalling it over night while I'm sleeping. What does this mean to me? Nothing. What does this mean to the devs? A $4,000 USD fee from the 20,000 installations. Oh gee, I hope there's not some super profitable company using Unity right now.

OH WAIT
View attachment 45152

Mortal Kombat 1 Cutscene movie already out for those that want to watch it

My understanding is Unity is a lot bigger in the Mobile Gaming space than Unreal is. Can't confirm that, but seems some logic to it. That's who they're really targeting, but they're absolutely going to kill their entire Indie scene because they've made clear that they can't be trusted to not retro-actively change the fee structure on their game engine.

unity updates.jpg

Attempting to Clarify things

Still looks like, by somewhere next year, it'll be possible for an "Threat Actor" to buy 1 copy of a game and make the Unity fees above the total revenue of the game. And you know the systems will be dumb enough you don't have to "install" anything. Just load the .exe under some sort of spoofing system ID. Their entire ecosystem is about to burn down.

God's Strongest Dragoon

My understanding is Unity is a lot bigger in the Mobile Gaming space than Unreal is. Can't confirm that, but seems some logic to it. That's who they're really targeting, but they're absolutely going to kill their entire Indie scene because they've made clear that they can't be trusted to not retro-actively change the fee structure on their game engine.

Attempting to Clarify things

Still looks like, by somewhere next year, it'll be possible for an "Threat Actor" to buy 1 copy of a game and make the Unity fees above the total revenue of the game. And you know the systems will be dumb enough you don't have to "install" anything. Just load the .exe under some sort of spoofing system ID. Their entire ecosystem is about to burn down.

Yeah, the mobile scene is flooded with Unity games, especially gacha games. The main reason was because Unreal always had the "it's free until you make certain amount of sales, then we start taxing you" while Unity was always "it's free!". Here's some big mobile games with Unity:
  • Fate/Grand Order
  • Azur Lane
  • Honkai: Star Rail
  • Honkai Impact 3rd
  • Raid: Shadow Legends
  • Action Taimanin
  • Arknights
  • Pokemon Go
  • Hearthstone
  • Subway Surfers
  • Among Us
  • Monument Valley 2
Probably some of the most notable non-mobile games I saw with Unity were Fall Guys, Cuphead, Ori, STS2, and Silksong. I did see that "explanation" too but yeah, it takes minimal effort to include a system ID spoofing tool with the script so Unity keeps seeing "a new device has installed!" and charges them 20 cents. I also heard the auto-load on browser for games on itch.io won't count towards it but it honestly doesn't matter anymore, the damage has been done and any indie looking to make a new game is going to say "fuck that" and avoid Unity because trust is huge. Their whole company strategy is to shakedown the gacha machines for money at this point.

agility_

We have some serious streams to discuss 🔨
Early Adopter

The only unity game I play atm is the free vampire survivors clone. Once you're done cheering for the death of gacha shit, spare a thought for Kay Yu and his literally free to play game.

Big rumor for the State of Play is Capcom announcing the next Monster Hunter as a PS5 exclusive.

Lol.

reinigen

Dang it
Ward Security
The Thousand Year Door remake is finally announced!

Edit: The other big thing is an Atlus/Vanillaware Visual Novel/TRPG that's been anonounced.

Last edited:

chihirogumi

Popping in from my posting break to say that Direct was fucking trash. Remakes, remasters and ports nobody asked for. Metroid Prime 4 never. :painpeko:

Abomination

The abominable amalgamation known as "chyaaat!"
One of these days, they'll finally announce a Fire Emblem 4 remake...

Some day...

:fishmandispair:

reinigen

Dang it
Ward Security
Popping in from my posting break to say that Direct was fucking trash. Remakes, remasters and ports nobody asked for. Metroid Prime 4 never. :painpeko:
It definitely felt like the "Scraping the bottom of the barrel" phase we see before annoucing the next console. I expect we'll get the Switch 2 announcement sometime here in the Winter based on the hardware leaks and the report out of Gamescom so as to minimize the impact on Holiday sales this year. At which point the flood gates should hopefully open.

And despite all of that, the Direct will be better than the State of Play because I have YET to see Sony release one that's actually good or better received than a Nintendo Direct. They always seem to make them completely middling.

PemAloeKenzoku

I'm really looking forward to Unicorn Overload, the 13 Sentinels team gives me some confidence it'll be a solid experience. SaGa and Detective Pikachu look alright as well

Top Bottom