"Stop sending me discord friend requests, I will not add your grooming ass"Kattarina Qutie

Vidya Games Thread

Punished Anime Discusser

Early Adopter
Singularity is pretty fantastic. I always side with Demichev at the end. You know why? Because he makes sense!
just kill them both lmao

Nenélove

Menace of the Asylum
Early Adopter
Nene's Pet Latinx
Latinx/Latine
I just want silksong to drop, fuck all of this industry horseshit I hope the market crashes again.

Todd's Strongest Howard

Do not trust the sticker farmer.
Early Adopter
I just want silksong to drop, fuck all of this industry horseshit I hope the market crashes again.

A total collapse of the game development industry would only be a benefit. As soon as it starts going down and it becomes clear to all the profit-starving vulture companies that continuing forward is nothing but a net deficit to their bottom line they'll cut their losses and run rather than put in any work to try to remain in contention for the sake of the hobby. All that will be left are people that want to makes games for the passion of it.

A Curse upon the house of Mojang, for the Early Access plague you unleashed to spawn malformed, incomplete games.
A Curse upon the house of Bethesda, for the villainy of microtransactions that has beset the world and fouled the air.
A Curse upon the house of Electronic Arts, for the rampant consumption of talent and passion leaving nothing but ruin.
A Curse upon the house of Activision-Blizzard, for the butchery of classics to the pursuit of coin in service of locusts.

Ruin and damnation find you in the end, where the rot that fills your hearts seeps into the roots of your foundation and hollows the earth beneath your feet. Fall fast into the heart of the world and remain in torment forevermore, beneath even the circle of God's fallen light and the eternal cold of the traitor's heart.

Banana Hammock

Born to Sneed
Early Adopter
Fuck yeah, nigga. Got the Couch Potato achievement.

Harrow Prime

Among Other Names.
Early Adopter
Kronii's Husband
I downloaded Warframe again after being away from it for so long. It is time to see if my namesake is still as godly as he was.

and since I didn't die I guess I can make some attempts at a no save professional run on RE4 later.

Todd's Strongest Howard

Early Adopter
Been playing a lot of Barotrauma lately. 20+ hours, still barely able to tolerate leaving the sub even in the first biome. Reading some of the shit about what to expect later, including the Abyss and the shit that comes from it... :beataniugh: Thank god I don't have Jovian radiation on. I dealt with one single Hammerhead and then spent 3 hours in the station reconsidering life choices.

Kalion

:)

tl;dr: Starting January 1st, 2024 Unity will charge all devs with downloads over a certain amount a fee PER INSTALL.
This means you could make a small but good game, charge $2.99 for it and release it, go to sleep, and wake up in debt.

The Holiest Hole

Needs to stop using imgur links
What the hell even counts as an install?
If I uninstall and redownload the game does that count as an install?
Is Unity planting trackers in each of their packages so I'm essentially downloading spyware to "identify and verify" I am the same user installing the game and they "promise" to not put in anything else?

Apparently a game that uses Unity has to reach an Audience(200k downloads) AND a revenue level(200k dollars) to be saddled with the runtime fee but I'm looking at the rates they're giving and it racks up to stupid levels of billing and it's PER MONTH. Not only that but if you're a developer in a 3rd world country you get a discount on the flat fee of 90% so I guess we're gonna watch a new wave of developers that definitely 100% live in zimbabwe or something.

I can understand wanting to scale their price to profit alongside a successful game but they do NOT have the technology nor the permission to be able to implement this.
There is a silver lining however, this change clearly targets and kills aspiring mobile developers so if you hate mobile gaming it's time to cheer.
(Hearthstone is made with Unity so that's another L for Activision Blizzard)

Last edited:

Kalion

:)
What the hell even counts as an install?
If I uninstall and redownload the game does that count as an install?
Is Unity planting trackers in each of their packages so I'm essentially downloading spyware to "identify and verify" I am the same user installing the game and they "promise" to not put in anything else?
Yep.

I can understand wanting to scale their price to profit alongside a successful game but they do NOT have the technology nor the permission to be able to implement this.
They absolutely do not have the technology yet and are just HOPING their devs figure out it in time.

God's Strongest Mozumite

Mega Mozu Milkers.
Early Adopter
ENTERING FLAVOR COUNTRY

Brosnan Pierce Brosnan

God's Strongest Smartass
Dizzy's Husband
Joh Riccetelo'd

He's still the CEO of Unity right?

Well I just hope that means that fucking platform will die now.

God's Strongest Dragoon

Yep.

They absolutely do not have the technology yet and are just HOPING their devs figure out it in time.

So I can just keep deleting and reinstalling a game I bought that was made with unity and start causing excessive fees to that developer. So you're saying I can bully the Firewatch devs into financial ruin unless they pull their game from steam.
:smugselen:

Punished Anime Discusser

Early Adopter
So I can just keep deleting and reinstalling a game I bought that was made with unity and start causing excessive fees to that developer. So you're saying I can bully the Firewatch devs into financial ruin unless they pull their game from steam.
Time to light up the Chinese botfarm and reinstall Escape From Tarkov 497 trillion times until BSG fucking croaks.

Saturnus

haha it's unou

tl;dr: Starting January 1st, 2024 Unity will charge all devs with downloads over a certain amount a fee PER INSTALL.
This means you could make a small but good game, charge $2.99 for it and release it, go to sleep, and wake up in debt.

1694558876221.png
It's so over bros...

Awoogers

basic ass man who loves the british funny woman

reinigen

Dang it
Ward Security
Yep.

This seems extremely exploitable and I have no idea how they intend to reasonably enforce this. Would this kind of thing even hold up in court if challenged?

God's Strongest Dragoon

Some info from someone that was allowed to play a demo of Mirage

Just some random bullet points:
  • He got to do some missions, including a black box assassination mission. He didn't speak greatly about the mission variety (oh go collect this thing instead of kill this dude). The game definitely is lending itself to encouraging stealth as shit went south real fast when he tried to go in knives-blazing. Melee is very simple counter, light attack, and heavy attack, and finishers for when you stun the enemy. The PC is actually very weak and will die very quickly.
  • It is very much the same graphically as Valhalla, the major change is just their usage of colors more with fabrics and greenery that makes it feel more vibrant
  • He stated that there's significantly more NPC density but I didn't see much of it in his video, didn't seem to me as densely packed as Unity's Paris
  • The city building density is very much designed for rooftop-to-rooftop traversal due to how close everything is
  • The game isn't limited to just Baghdad as there's a surrounding area of desert/oasis but he mentioned the majority of the game was in the city
  • You can hire factions like in the old games like Mercs but they have a special token currency now. You get those tokens by doing contracts and other side content and can spend it on a bunch of stuff like bribing NPCs for info on your major assassination target or access to a special passage for a mission. He was hesitant of this system at first but he approves of it because it encourages you to do all the side stuff instead of just beelining for the main story.
  • You can ride a camel and can use it through the city but it definitely feels like with Brotherhood where you can take the horse into the city but it will be jank and it's designed to be used outside the city.
  • The minor dialogue cutscenes look to be the same stiff/AI designed cutscenes from Valhalla
  • The movement does have improvements to feel better than Valhalla but it isn't a big noticeable jump and anyone that was expecting something as fluid as Unity's parkour is going to be disappointed
  • There was a couple moments he had where the enemy AI revealed how dumb it was, like not detecting him while it's looking in his direction while he's throwing knives at the guard's buddies
  • The game follows the recent games where it doesn't hold your hand and tell you exactly where the target/documents/whatever is, it just tells you "it's in this base" or "east side of the bazaar". Like "go across this bridge on the southwest of the city and look for the building with the red roof"
  • Skill trees are just 3 vertical lines that are like a dozen at most each (takedown skills, items, scouting with bird). So simple stuff like "Carry 2 more knives" instead of some shitty Diablo RPG shit like "+2.34% damage on ranged attacks when you're above the enemy" like in Valhalla
  • He enjoyed the black box mission, as it was set in a bazaar and he had to find the target, who's identity was concealed. The game didn't handhold at all and just trusted the player to look around for clues/intel. It sounds like you can't cheese it on subsequent runs or by looking it up online as it seems collecting the clues "triggers" the NPC spawn or something like that. There was a bit of feeling like the original AC1 where you have to do all the tailing/eavesdropping for your target but here you do it all in one mission. Example of clues:
    mirage.jpg
  • Ultimately he says it definitely succeeds at feeling old-school 2012 AC in terms of structure but it doesn't feel "by-the-numbers" either, as it manages to keep it fresh. It does feel outdated in design but that was the point as it's a return to the old style.
I do like the sound of those blackbox missions because those were a huge highlight from Unity and especially Syndicate. All the issues prevalent with the framework of Valhalla's engine remains but those assassination missions/city design are what's going to hopefully carry the game.

Last edited:

Todd's Strongest Howard

Early Adopter

Zapan1984

hmm it seems that Riccitiello sold his Shares a few days ago wonder why /s
but as im not that knowledgeable about Stockmarket stuff isnt that against some law or so? given he probably knew what would maybe happen with the Stocks.

Last edited:

PleaseCheckYourReceipts

Time to light up the Chinese botfarm and reinstall Escape From Tarkov 497 trillion times until BSG fucking croaks.

This seems extremely exploitable and I have no idea how they intend to reasonably enforce this. Would this kind of thing even hold up in court if challenged?

While it wasn't my first thought, it did come to mind that some dedicated Antis could in theory cripple a majority studio. But Unity is huge on the App Space, to the point a major App Developer attempted to buy Unity for 17 Billion last year. There's so many potential things wrong with this model, it's going to take a while to work through. I think it's going to cause the complete death of Unity in the Indie Dev space. At least with Unreal, it's just 5%. With Unity, it could easily scale to massively more if you get an accident hit. HoloCure is safe because it's a free game; Vampire Survivors may be furiously moving the game to a new engine as we speak.

hmm it seems that Riccitiello sold his Shares a few days ago wonder why /s
but as im not that knowledgeable about Stockmarket stuff isnt that against some law or so? given he probably knew what would maybe happen with the Stocks.

I'd have to dig through everything, but Officers in companies regularly sell shares all the time. The regular, schedule selling is how you avoid Insider Trading issues. (The real play is always to just stop selling when the price is going to go up. Because it's only a crime when you Make a Trade on Insider knowledge. Not when you do not do a trade.)

Top Bottom