"If I could rent Pippa and Ulka, I would take them to a cosplay cafe and dress them up, then go to a playground where a Death Game was being held and the three of us would play!🎉😎💗"Utatane Nasa

Vidya Games Thread

agility_

We have some serious streams to discuss 🔨
Early Adopter
Repacks, remakes, sequels. That's all you're getting from now on. And this on the "winning" best selling platform switch.

The Rrat

Phoneposting, Rat-loving menace
Early Adopter
I just want to point out the funniest part of the whole stupid Unity debacle. They have NO way to actually audit this with hard proof or numbers. Especially for games that existed before this change. They literally are working off some kind of algorithm to come up with a number and saying "trust us, bro, it's accurate". The shit is beyond wild.

Last edited:

MrProcessor

Soldier of Godrick
Surprised no one posted, but we have a doubleheader tomorrow. Morning Nintendo Direct, and afternoon Playstation State of Play.

Rumors swirling for a new Donkey Kong game and F-Zero. Potentially even a Switch port of the HD versions of Twilight Princess and Wind Waker from the WiiU. Despite the Switch 2 supposedly shown behind closed doors at Gamescom, don't expect a Switch 2 announcement just yet though as I doubt they'll want to impact Holiday sales.

Big rumor for the State of Play is Capcom announcing the next Monster Hunter as a PS5 exclusive.

I watched the Nintendo State of Play while having the Pekora watch along for the Nintendo State of Play in another window. Of course, I couldn't understand what she was saying, but I liked hearing the occasional word I understood.

I'm really looking forward to Unicorn Overload, the 13 Sentinels team gives me some confidence it'll be a solid experience. SaGa and Detective Pikachu look alright as well
Yes, me too. I pretty much buy everything Vanillaware puts out. Nice to see a return to fantasy from them.

Nenélove

Menace of the Asylum
Early Adopter
Nene's Pet Latinx
Latinx/Latine
I know this unity shit isn't going anywhere, and laughing at games we hate is fun, but if it WAS true then literally every unity made game in existence would be targeted for developer bankruptcy, sure that would take out devs you hate, but it would also take out anyone you like. I can see autists online trying to ruin everyone's fun (like always) by going after ANY and all games made in unity if this is realized, therefore I'm more worried than amused here.

Punished Anime Discusser

Early Adopter
Mortal Kombat 1 Cutscene movie already out for those that want to watch it
>we fucked up the time travel bullshit and ruined our franchise, we gotta reset
>reset
>marvel multiverse bullshit instead

Holy fuck just stop making these trash-tier games. There's nothing good about them. The gameplay, story, animation, music, everything except the realism autism graphics is dogshit, the only people who play them seriously are the exceptionally melanin enriched who are too low IQ to get into Tekken or Street Fighter.

God's Strongest Dragoon

I know this unity shit isn't going anywhere, and laughing at games we hate is fun, but if it WAS true then literally every unity made game in existence would be targeted for developer bankruptcy, sure that would take out devs you hate, but it would also take out anyone you like. I can see autists online trying to ruin everyone's fun (like always) by going after ANY and all games made in unity if this is realized, therefore I'm more worried than amused here.
A very probable outcome is a class action lawsuit from the big companies using Unity, likely to make the change not effect games that were released before the announcement.

agility_

We have some serious streams to discuss 🔨
Early Adopter

Kalion

:)

The only game I've been hyped for this year that isn't Armored Core 6.

Punished Anime Discusser

Early Adopter
Speak not of things you know nothing about.
Lil' Majin's run in 2018 is probably one of the most memorable things to have happened in Tekken 7's lifespan, other than Rangchu winning TWT with Panda.

Brosnan Pierce Brosnan

God's Strongest Smartass
Dizzy's Husband
>reset

Holy fuck just stop making these trash-tier games. There's nothing good about them. The gameplay, story, animation, music, everything except the realism autism graphics is dogshit, the only people who play them seriously are the exceptionally melanin enriched who are too low IQ to get into Tekken or Street Fighter.

There is an alternate timeline out there where Tobias still leads MK into glory and prominence as it's been said that Boon doesn't really care about the franchise at all.

Like sure Armageddon kind of threw a wrench into the continuity, but the mess we see here is, I guess it's not unique to Mortal Kombat as every franchise gets lame. But MK keeps derailing itself for no reason story wise. And gameplay wise? They never learn from that either as the modern WB games all play different.

Virtua Fighter got to die at its peak. Tekken keeps iterating upon itself and has a wealth of content. Dead or Alive, well it fucked up, but it was still Dead or Alive. Street Fighter, it will have a fuck up and will come back. Soul Calibur for all its faults modern day is probably the best entry level fighter. There is nothing redeemable about modern MK.

The story keeps getting reset entry to entry. The gameplay keeps getting changed. The fucking artstyle also remains inconsistent. I don't get it. Maybe it's a WB thing, maybe it's an Ed Boon thing. Who knows

Punished Anime Discusser

Early Adopter
They never learn from that either as the modern WB games all play different.
There's one constant about Netherrealm studios games. Zoners are always retard overpowered and ruin the game, and they seem to be completely unable to just stop making the most cancerous zoners known to man. MK9 Cage (OK, he's good at everything in that game), Kenshi and Kabal, Injustice Deathstroke and Zod, MKX Jaqui, Quan Chi, Shinnok, Injustice 2 Deadshot, Starfire, Doctor Fate, MK11's FUCKING ROBOCOP PLAGUE.

God's Strongest Dragoon

There's one constant about Netherrealm studios games. Zoners are always retard overpowered and ruin the game, and they seem to be completely unable to just stop making the most cancerous zoners known to man. MK9 Cage (OK, he's good at everything in that game), Kenshi and Kabal, Injustice Deathstroke and Zod, MKX Jaqui, Quan Chi, Shinnok, Injustice 2 Deadshot, Starfire, Doctor Fate, MK11's FUCKING ROBOCOP PLAGUE.
My favorite was seeing everyone get excited about Cheetah and Black Canary when Injustice 2 was nearing release. You could tell who didn't know how these games work when they thought characters like those and Bane would be good. Nope, it's fucking zoners the whole way down. It took like 1 week before the online community degenerated to picking shit like Poison Ivy, Aquaman, Superman, Fate, or Darkseid, and then just spammed the whole match. NRS games have never been balanced but now it's just blatantly annoying shit.

Saturnus

haha it's unou
It definitely felt like the "Scraping the bottom of the barrel" phase we see before annoucing the next console. I expect we'll get the Switch 2 announcement sometime here in the Winter based on the hardware leaks and the report out of Gamescom so as to minimize the impact on Holiday sales this year. At which point the flood gates should hopefully open.

And despite all of that, the Direct will be better than the State of Play because I have YET to see Sony release one that's actually good or better received than a Nintendo Direct. They always seem to make them completely middling.
This direct was kind of like the old directs for the 3DS towards the end of its life where it was weird ports (eg: Luigi's Mansion, Kirby's Epic Yarn, and the ports of M&L games that drove their studio into bankruptcy) and a few cool games. It wasn't bad but you can tell the sun is setting for the Switch soon. I left happy with Side Order info and the TTYD remake. Really kind of funny (yet sad) that Metroid Prime 4 which was originally advertised in year 1 of the Switch's life is looking more like a launch title for the successor (that implies it leaves vaporware status though).

Stunned But Dumb

I've been trying not to talk about MK since I haven't played or watched the story yet (my friend bought it and we're playing this weekend) but I think the biggest issue is, at least from both their main fanbase and the casual crowd, none of their games have faced significant disapproval and backlash for their issues unlike all the other fighters mentioned here. Like SF5 was explicitly hated by casual and competitves alike until its last couple of seasons or so. I can't recall when people started liking it, because I dropped out around season two.

MK11, their most contentious game, is also the best selling and more game NRS made and no one who played it for more than its garbage story mode really enjoyed it. The visuals were impressive, but from launch the gameplay was hated by anyone who touched it because while the gameplay throughout the games has always been inconsistent, the core style was dropped to poorly imitate a more grounded based fighter that they had no business trying to imitate. Not only was the actual gameplay awful, but outside of story mode the game lacked anything interesting for the casual crowd, which was shocking since in a decade of barebones fighting games Mortal Kombat had for a while been the only series to offer tons of stuff to do besides just fight. Instead you had two despised modes, one that was unfair and unfun and one that was broken and money hungry (and didn't work offline, lol)

but the game SOLD. They don't need to put in that effort to fix their garbage animations, storytelling, gameplay, balance (#starvePaulo), content, and more the iconic image of Scorpion fighting Sub-zero is enough to pay Boon's retirement fund. I like to think the major pushback to MK12 and the obvious fall through of what should've been injustice 3 is what made them take a step back in design, but they're response to bloat and pushback is always to take a step back to classic MK (Deception, 9, and now One) so despite my wish to be optimistic, I just feel uneasy about the games. Not their future, MK games are too popular to stop coming out long after I die, but my interest and their general quality.

Sorry for the long write up. It really is one of my favorite series tat I grew up with and I have tons of wonderful memories through the best and worst days of the series, so it just really sucks a ton to watch something you love become garbage. It feels like lots of media I love is either trash or going that way now.

Fun thing, MKX was the only game where zoners took a backseat for most of its lifespan. Jaqui was good, but Quan's best variation was Summoner which was used more as a mix-up pressure tool and the best characters were almost all 50/50 characters. I still loved that more than INj2's walk forward, crouch meta to deal with the insane zoning that game had. You think they'd have learne- nah, I should stop right there. and in Injustice 1, the best characters were Batman, Batgirl, and SUperman who were also fantastic zoners despite not needing it since they had basically every other tool you could think of. They started designing anti zoners like Martian Manhunter to deal with the problem and he was still mostly outmatched.

I think NRS projectiles at their core are just a poor design. Unlike almost any other game, projectiles pass through each other instead of clashing. If your opponent has a better projectile, instead of you being on the back end but still having a viable way to challenge and compete with them, you just get outpaced and have no options but full on defense until you're chipped out. Even teleports, which you would think would be the best answer, are always too weak because NRS seems too afraid to make them a good answer despite, at least imo, no teleport ever being that good as a mobility or avoidance option. Not even Inj1 Scorpion. Actually come to think of it, there doesn't seem to be a lot of teleports in MKone and I even see Kameos specifically for teleporting in some trailers/breakdowns.

CalciumAnimal

Drink Milk
>reset

why would they stop making money?

Edit: On Zoners. Even when there is counterplay aginst them they are never FUN to fight. the only real options are make everyone a "Zoner" to some degree or to remove it entirely.

On paper in a game about dealing damage without getting hit in what world would you not want to be as far out of danger as you can be while still dealing damage. because no character is allowed to be "weak" anymore zoners do way too much damage for the safety they get as a trade off some games can work around this but if your game is one where ANY character can potentially just sit in a corner and projectile till the timer runs out then there is a fundimental flaw that need correction

Pure Zoners are always cancerous the the game design even the good ones and there are well designed zoners.

Last edited:

ValkyrieAce

in a toxic relationship with IRyS
Zoners are often cancer all the way down. JP came out in SF6, people said he was broken but then others were like "No, people will just learn to play against him," which they did. But now people who play JP have learned to play against the people that have learned to play against him, so he's a nightmare again. AKI looks to be an anti-zoner, so we'll see what happens when she's out in a couple of weeks.

Note: JP is saved from being complete and total aidscancer just by the fact that Korone plays him.

Stunned But Dumb

As much as I hate zoners and think those that play them shouldn't have basic human rights, conceptually I like them and would rather have a couple of good ones in a roster than none at all. I still think designs like Dhalsim are great because while he is frustrating, his zoning attacks still put him at great risk

God's Strongest Dragoon

Fun thing, MKX was the only game where zoners took a backseat for most of its lifespan. Jaqui was good, but Quan's best variation was Summoner which was used more as a mix-up pressure tool and the best characters were almost all 50/50 characters.
Yeah, Jacqui's reputation as a cancerous zoner comes from online play where a brief skip of lag can make it super annoying to fight her and she was the best zoner in MKX. But they gave a bunch of characters teleports, hyper armor, and an actual run command instead of short dashes, so zoners couldn't go out of control. One of the most retarded designs they've been doing with their projectiles (IJ2 was really bad about this) was they included ranged attacks that must be blocked and did significant pushback even when you blocked. So even if you made a proper advance on the enemy by ducking under their shit, they'll eventually push you back with super-metered abilities that give them more time to chip away at you. They honestly have no idea how to balance projectiles and it's very apparent.
but the game SOLD. They don't need to put in that effort to fix their garbage animations, storytelling, gameplay, balance (#starvePaulo), content, and more the iconic image of Scorpion fighting Sub-zero is enough to pay Boon's retirement fund. I like to think the major pushback to MK12 and the obvious fall through of what should've been injustice 3 is what made them take a step back in design, but they're response to bloat and pushback is always to take a step back to classic MK (Deception, 9, and now One) so despite my wish to be optimistic, I just feel uneasy about the games. Not their future, MK games are too popular to stop coming out long after I die, but my interest and their general quality.
I know a lot of people have been feeling uneasy about MK, especially after MK11, but it looks like they picked up a lot of the zoomer casual crowd because as a franchise, MK has a reputation of being easier than Street Fighter. MK at its core is a fucking meme franchise between all the jokes. I don't expect great writing or phenomenal gameplay, I expect to have fun. I'll probably watch the singleplayer tonight or tomorrow before I pass judgement on MK1's story but everyone I've heard has complained about the second half of the game going full retard with the multiverse shit.

CalciumAnimal

Drink Milk
As much as I hate zoners and think those that play them shouldn't have basic human rights, conceptually I like them and would rather have a couple of good ones in a roster than none at all. I still think designs like Dhalsim are great because while he is frustrating, his zoning attacks still put him at great risk
they are fine conceptually but they are nearly impossible to balance. When is why i'm appreciating the slow shift to Puppet style zoners who's bullshit can be punished. The other real alternative is rocket tag style fighting games where they don't get time to fully out range you dying in one or two touches keeps them honest.

Punished Anime Discusser

Early Adopter
The thing with even the most AIDS zoners in Street Fighter (Until fucking JP came out) is that you could always do something to their projectiles. Like hit their fireball with your own, EX fireball through it, parry, eat it with the focus attack, teleport, green hand, armor etc., etc.. Dhalsim especially, since you can just slap the shit out of his hands and it rewards you for being ready to call out his bullshit.

Old Guilty Gear had a retard good airdash so you could just get in on people, and most characters were just designed around aggression. Granblue just lets you lean out of the way of projectiles. Tekken doesn't really have any dedicated zoners unless you're one of the degenerates that tries to zone with Geese, but 3D means you can just step out of the way of the projectile.

Netherrealm zoners usually have borderline hitscan guns, extremely fast fireballs with a fuckload of knockback, some kind of lingering trap that you can't break or completely disjointed projectiles that you can't really do anything to. So you're left with block, some kind of advancing move with super armor or teleport, if you don't have either of the latter, it's just a 10/0 matchup and you might as well put the controller down.

Top Bottom