"My theory is, once my mouth is reset back to normal, then the mountain dew might taste too sweet"Fujikura Uruka

Vidya Games Thread

MrProcessor

Soldier of Godrick
1693875101801.png

For some reason this makes me laugh. She's doing a Rock Themed Challenge Run. Rocks are actually very powerful in Elden Ring, so she should do well. I remember when I first started playing and my friends asked me how I was doing, I said, "I'm just using Rock Sling to throw rocks at everyone, it's great!"

"I have a maiden! Her name is Melina! But I'm not going to give you her blood, you weirdo!"

Banana Hammock

Born to Sneed
Early Adopter
God damn, Anya is OP as fuck. I think I have a new favorite.
But we shall never see another Crimson Skies. Another Blinx. Good Gears of War or Halo games. Cooperation with Japan with stuff like Dead or Alive, Panzer Dragoon Orta and Lost Odyssey. Or even fun games to throw on for an afternoon like Brute Force.
Probably not from Microsoft, but I 100% believe that we'll get off-brand Halo, Gears of War, Crimson Skies, etc. It might take a while, but someone will realize that there's a demand for games like that.

PleaseCheckYourReceipts

God damn, Anya is OP as fuck. I think I have a new favorite.

Probably not from Microsoft, but I 100% believe that we'll get off-brand Halo, Gears of War, Crimson Skies, etc. It might take a while, but someone will realize that there's a demand for games like that.
There's something of a fundamental disconnect in the gaming market right now. It's supremely High/Low, where there's massive budget games and then small indie Devs but the middle of the market for productions are almost gone. This is mostly because of distribution changes. The one aspect of Physical Media is that the stores generally have fully purchased the product and they aren't returned (unless it's a pure disaster launch). So if you sell 100k copies to physical Retail, that's around 4 million as a baseline return on the product. If you have 10-15 total staff and turn out 100k to Retail game every 2 years, everyone is eating pretty well.

Without the need for Physical Retail to keep a steady chain of supply into their stores (and especially rental markets), a huge source of generally assured revenue is gone. That makes the Business Decisions very different. There's a reason the PS2 has an absurd number of games on the platform, same with the Wii. Getting a product out into Retail was very likely to make a profit. Same actual cause for the 1980s ultra-violent OVAs. The Japanese Rental Market would always buy enough that if you kept the budget low, you can just print money. Assuming you didn't go nuts. (The 1984 Gaming Crash was do to radical over-supplying physical copies of games, in part.)

Weirdly, Microsoft, via GamePass, has been propping up some of the middle market. They might actually be willing to fund some of the spiritual successor type games.

Though we also have to mention the other problem in Game Development: computer/console games aren't the "hot new thing". It's not attracting top talent in the way it used to. This is true of any mature market, but we're in the maturing phase right now. Thus we remember the Wild West version because it only started ending 10 years ago. Without that very open nature to everything, you don't see the advent of new innovations, while we see improvements on current technology. I thought VR my bring that on, but VR ends up having a far worse mechanical interaction space than other forms of gaming. Which deeply limits innovation there.

John Vtuber👁️

Sentient Eyeball, Primarch of Hag Pride Worldwide
Certified Manwhore
The developers of Battle Brothers are making another game, improving upon the design philosophy after nearly a decade of iteration on the original game.

Introducing MENACE, no relation to the chuuba of similar namesake, a 3D isometric tactics game about Futuristic Marines vs Aliens. Since XCOM seems to be dead in the water after their main guy left Firaxis, this game is about to eat their lunch:

After Battle Brothers, I am more than willing to pay for whatever these developers come up with. If you somehow have never heard of Battle Brothers, consider paying for it and all DLC at full-price from the drop:

Seeing that we now exist in a timeline where Vesper and Nina will never be able to play either one of these games, we're all the worse for it. It's the sort of hardcore tactics game that would make most chuubas ragequit after dying in the tutorial fight, steep learning curve, maybe Biboo or Jelly would be able to work through them? One can only hope.

Superduper Samurai

Early Adopter
The developers of Battle Brothers are making another game, improving upon the design philosophy after nearly a decade of iteration on the original game.

Introducing MENACE, no relation to the chuuba of similar namesake, a 3D isometric tactics game about Futuristic Marines vs Aliens. Since XCOM seems to be dead in the water after their main guy left Firaxis, this game is about to eat their lunch:

After Battle Brothers, I am more than willing to pay for whatever these developers come up with. If you somehow have never heard of Battle Brothers, consider paying for it and all DLC at full-price from the drop:

Seeing that we now exist in a timeline where Vesper and Nina will never be able to play either one of these games, we're all the worse for it. It's the sort of hardcore tactics game that would make most chuubas ragequit after dying in the tutorial fight, steep learning curve, maybe Biboo or Jelly would be able to work through them? One can only hope.

Im geniuenly excited for Menace, getting something as granular as BB (i.e equipping bros individually, collecting equipment, sandbox world) with the general tone and some bits of Xcom sprinkled in would be kino as fuck,

MrProcessor

Soldier of Godrick

The Void: Pioneering VR arcade plans big comeback

The Void was among the first VR arcades to mix real-world objects with virtual worlds, and to do so in a large gaming area for several people at once. Thanks to the great interest in virtual reality and especially in The Void - the first YouTube videos garnered millions of views - the startup managed to reel in numerous well-known Disney licenses such as "Star Wars" and "The Avengers" and turn them into elaborate mixed reality experiences. But that cost a lot of money.
Corona shutdown was a permanent shutdown for The Void - until now
The Void quickly expanded internationally, which required a lot of investment. Then there were the licensing fees for Disney. Even before the Corona pandemic, The Void was said to be struggling financially. Disney shut down the Void arcade at the Disneyland Resort in Anaheim and revoked the start-up's licenses.
I remember reading about these before the unpleasantness. I wonder what they are like?

Kalion

:)

Alright so this game has/had:
  • Early access for pre-orders
  • a full price, $70 purchase to play
  • Seasons with two tiers of a Battle Pass, $10 and $25. You do not earn enough points back to buy the next pass if you complete it unlike other games.
  • A cash shop with items ranging from $8 to $25
  • Upcoming yearly expansions, likely priced at $30 or $40
Any other methods of monetization Blizzard can slap on this game?

Brosnan Pierce Brosnan

God's Strongest Smartass
Dizzy's Husband
Speaking of monetization

Pippa is probably right you know

reinigen

Dang it
Ward Security
Speaking of monetization

Pippa is probably right you know

The only way I would EVER pay that much money for a game would be if it was confirmed hundreds of hours of good, repeatable, and not forced online content. And if there was online content too on top of that, so much the better. But I highly doubt Rockstar could be capable of providing enough content and entertainment to justify even a $90 price tag.

Last edited:

MR.T800

Why do you cry?
[- GENTLEMEN - IT SEEMS I MISSED THE ARMORED CORE 6 HYPE -]
Gentlemen_Its_TimeForArmoredCore.jpg

Punished Anime Discusser

Early Adopter

• Seasons with two tiers of a Battle Pass, $10 and $25. You do not earn enough points back to buy the next pass if you complete it unlike other games.
That's baby shit, check this out.
Destiny 2:
$60 on release, with $30 DLC pass
$40 expansion with 30$ DLC pass
$40 expansion with $30 DLC pass, microtransaction shop balloons due to the game becoming f2p, all DLC expires in 3 months now
$50 expansion with $30 DLC pass, most of previous DLC obliterated, shop doubles in size, single cosmetic outfit set is like $22
Expansion delayed, basically mandatory $30 "Anniversary Celebration" pack
$40 expansion with $40 DLC pass, DLC lasts a year now, dungeons are no longer a part of the base expansion, you have to drop $20 for them, or buy the $100 edition
$40 expansion, $40 DLC pass, $20 for two dungeons, microtransactions more prevalent than ever, two DLC in, they increase the price per DLC from $10 to $12, they don't sell a $12 pack of currency, so really $15 per
Upcoming $100+ expansion & DLC that adds nothing on the horizon

God's Strongest Dragoon

I look forward to their next game launch with shit servers where they implement "priority queue" as DLC.

agility_

We have some serious streams to discuss 🔨
Early Adopter
Because I have not played them, I could not tell you how over-monetized P2W garbage like Galaxy of Heroes or Genshin are, but I'm glad someone has mentioned Destiny 2's case which should be a chapter in the history books.

Alchemyth

Destiny 2:
$40 expansion with $30 DLC pass, microtransaction shop balloons due to the game becoming f2p, all DLC expires in 3 months now
$50 expansion with $30 DLC pass, most of previous DLC obliterated, shop doubles in size, single cosmetic outfit set is like $22
$40 expansion with $40 DLC pass, DLC lasts a year now, dungeons are no longer a part of the base expansion, you have to drop $20 for them, or buy the $100 edition
$40 expansion, $40 DLC pass, $20 for two dungeons, microtransactions more prevalent than ever, two DLC in, they increase the price per DLC from $10 to $12, they don't sell a $12 pack of currency, so really $15 per
You forgot the part where the content you previously payed for is getting deleted because fuck you.

Superduper Samurai

Early Adopter
Destiny 2:
I member when people rejoiced when Bungie was taking Destiny 2 off Activision

lmao

PleaseCheckYourReceipts

I member when people rejoiced when Bungie was taking Destiny 2 off Activision

lmao
The only thing good to come from Bungie going independent again -- then getting bought by Sony -- is Marty O`Donnell finally get paid for his stake in Bungie after 20 years and being a core reason they ever made it.

Todd's Strongest Howard

Do not trust the sticker farmer.
Early Adopter

I would give a suggestion what they should do but I don't want to be investigated a third time.

MrProcessor

Soldier of Godrick
Last edited:

Stunned But Dumb

Huh... The cast got leaked a while ago so Nitara doesn't surprise me, but Megan Fox does... a lot. It's not a character I like like Sonya, so I don't mind if she's good or bad at it but... huh. Rousey PTSD will never go away though

Edit: In case you didn't know the other leaked character and their voice actor seems to be Reiko and Travis Scott. I know this sounds weird after I just said I don't care about Megan, but one celeb VA is weird, two makes me think of how they slowly upped the amount of guest characters they can stuff in each game. I don't like upward trends!! Edit again: I said all this while forgetting completely about the dlc pack 1 with like... three celebrity voices? I think?? GOD

Last edited:

God's Strongest Dragoon

Huh... The cast got leaked a while ago so Nitara doesn't surprise me, but Megan Fox does... a lot. It's not a character I like like Sonya, so I don't mind if she's good or bad at it but... huh. Rousey PTSD will never go away though

Edit: In case you didn't know the other leaked character and their voice actor seems to be Reiko and Travis Scott. I know this sounds weird after I just said I don't care about Megan, but one celeb VA is weird, two makes me think of how they slowly upped the amount of guest characters they can stuff in each game. I don't like upward trends!! Edit again: I said all this while forgetting completely about the dlc pack 1 with like... three celebrity voices? I think?? GOD

the main fighter roster and kameo fighter roster also got leaked again today
Tanya, Rain, Kitana, Mileena | Smoke, Scorpion, Subzero, Johnny Cage | Li Mei, Kenshi, Baraka, Reptile
Shang Tsung, Shao Khan, Sindel, Reiko | Raiden, Liu Kang, Geras, Kung Lao | Ashra, Nitara, Havik, (unknown)

Last edited:
Top Bottom