"-WTF-... what what... hmm What, Thank you, Fuck!"Amemiya Nazuna

Vidya Games Thread

PleaseCheckYourReceipts

I'm pretty sure I mentioned this multiple times either here or on the farms. To save myself from writing another novella, the death of the video game rental stores did a lot of damage to the medium/small devs with much smaller budgets in the industry:
>VG rental stores only needed to rent 1 copy 12 times (assuming $5 per rental) over the course of a few years to break even, so it was an easy sell
>devs could expect sell at least 1 copy, maybe more for bigger publishing companies, to each blockbuster or equivalent VG rental store
>With how many rental stores there are in just the US, devs could net +$1 million in net sales in USA & EU rental stores before even worrying about customers
>smaller devs with much smaller budgets could take a lot more risks because a massive chunk of the development costs were already covered

Yeah, the Xbox 360 version of CoD games would get map packs an entire month ahead of PC and PS3. CoD4 came out of nowhere and completely changed the FPS MP landscape. The release of Halo 3 was also an enormous monstrosity. Then Modern Warfare 2 came out and shattered every record. This shit continued with Halo Reach and Black Ops just dominating again. That 4 year window of CoD and Halo games from 2007-2010 ensured that the PS3 didn't catch up to the Xbox 360 in sales until around 2013.

Same thing happened with the small market movie and the OVAs in Japan. The wildest part is what the American Movie Studios did. Every release was 15-30 million of 98% profit margin money from Blockbuster, but they looked at Netflix's revenue (without EVER looking at their cost base) and went "we need our own streaming platform!". It was always going to fail because it's clear MBA stands for Most Braindead Advisor.

Though my impression is the death of the rental market has actually more to do with being overleveraged into the height of the commercial real estate market right as the GFC kicked off. Then, once the cascade of closures got rolling, everyone just went to Netflix. Especially as it seemed Blockbuster lived off late fees.

Atlus... what the fuck is this promotion?

A random interview with the Haas team really doesn't make any sense. They're the only "USA" team with a currently German & Belgian drivers.

God's Strongest Dragoon

Though my impression is the death of the rental market has actually more to do with being overleveraged into the height of the commercial real estate market right as the GFC kicked off. Then, once the cascade of closures got rolling, everyone just went to Netflix. Especially as it seemed Blockbuster lived off late fees.
Yeah, Blockbuster did themselves in when they started ramping up the late fees even more harshly. It was still reasonable to rent but if you were even late 1 day to return, it might be as if you rented it twice and god forbid you were a few days late. Netflix was also like $5/month back then, so it was infinitely better. Instead of renting 1 movie for 5 days for $5 and risking late fees, Netflix was basically letting you have free access to your local rental stores catalog with no late fees.

Last edited:

Banana Hammock

Born to Sneed
Early Adopter
I am really looking forward to the day when Vita Emulation becomes solid. Suddenly a bunch of games nobody played back in the day will probably become Internet memes.
3 years Progress Report: Summer 2024
vita3k Compatibility List
vita3k_compatibility_improvements_png.png
Looks like it's coming along pretty nicely. Out of 2120 Vita games, 1228 are fully playable with no game-breaking glitches.

Last edited:
Nintendo Switch Emulator Ryujinx has ceased development due to a C&D from Nintendo. New

Saturnus

haha it's unou
In "Man, Fuck Nintendo!" Circlejerking news. Ryujinx, aka the other Switch emulator made by Brazilians, has been told to C&D operations (or else) by Nintendo's legal team.
GY01qTtWoAI4rKA.jpeg

Last edited:

MrProcessor

Soldier of Godrick
In "Man, Fuck Nintendo!" Circlejerking news. Ryujinx, aka the other Switch emulator made by Brazilians, has been told to C&D operations (or else) by Nintendo's legal team.
View attachment 79638
On the plus side my most recent update of Ryujinx is still working, but I guess it won't be updating anymore. In general, you are better off buying everything that is not Nintendo exclusive for PC. As to Nintendo exclusive stuff, well, I'm not sure it's really worth it to buy a Nintendo console just for that.

I don't think Nintendo can really hard stop emulation development, but they can probably make it inconvenient in the first world. They aren't really going to stop the Chinese or the Russians though. The only reason I was buying Nintendo cartridges was to dump the roms to play them on PC, but I guess there's no reason to do that any more. Pity.

Banana Hammock

Born to Sneed
Early Adopter
Wasn't ryujinx open source? I have no doubt we'll see a fork pop up in a day or two.

tragic amphibian

Legacy wise, the 360 "won" that generation based on the games which were greenlit and distributed. PC front pajeetsoft's "games for windows" initiative was a dismal failure but the 360 was more than enough to fulfill Balmer's "get a computer on joe sixpack's lounge" directive. They fucked it all up because microsoft are ran by genetic retards.

Commercially the Wii handed everyone their asses. It moved more plastic dongle trash than anyone has ever in the history of mankind, and it was a way easier sell for families and non-game players as a whole.

The PS3 just didn't turn up. Kutaragi bet the farm on a quantum-leap computing machine that 1) developers never cared to learn to optimize for cost and time reasons 2) had a substantial learning curve for new programmers due to the cell processor algorithms which lost production leverage to the 360s-to-windows pipeline 3) sony found themselves playing catching up with stuff like the PS move and psp integration to minimal impact. Killing off the psp might have been the financially sound decision but my god, was it the wrong one under every other parameter, they just handed over the portable market to the upcoming nswitch.

It was an interesting generation of hardware due to how different each of the strategies employed was. I agree that it was the swan song before the jackboot of live services, lootboxes, gacha, hollywood movie slop and remastermania that we all suffer under from.
The major problem that the PS3 had, with respect to multiplatform development, was that its memory management was a nightmare in comparison to the 360. The 360 had 512 MB of memory that could be allotted on the fly to system or video memory. The PS3 had fixed 256 MB of system memory and fixed 256 MB of video memory. Every single multiplatform title I worked on in that era was easy to get going on 360 (Plus the 360 dev kits had much friendlier debug/dump regimes compared to the PS3), dead simple to get going on PC, and seemingly endless wailing and gnashing of teeth for PS3 development.

A big example, from the guys over at Obsidian/Bethesda/Zenimax (independent of lol Gamebryo), is that The Strip and Freeside were originally designed as single spaces in Fallout: New Vegas. The PS3's memory handling meant that Freeside got split into two areas and The Strip got split into 2 or 3 bits (I haven't played the game for a couple of years so I can't remember if there's an extra area for the NCR Embassy and Michaelangelo's on the far side of The Tops or not). Those hard hard memory limits that the PS3 brought made shit miserable and so many studios have stories about features or events that needed to be restructured, reduced in scope, or cut in multiplatform titles because of it.

The PS3 exclusives of the time looked fantastic since you could design the game from the ground up with the stupid memory management in mind. A common approach in multiplatform dev was to downscale the textures a bit, which is why the PS3 ports tended to look a bit worse than the 360 versions.

Saturnus

haha it's unou
Wasn't ryujinx open source? I have no doubt we'll see a fork pop up in a day or two.
Yuzu and Ryujinx were open source. Yuzu forks occasionally get their code pulled off Github because the "well" was poisoned with actual copyright infringement or some shit. I doubt Ryujinx has the same issues but I don't have a hobby to read and compare code lol.
A friend of mine brought up the theory that this might be precaution for the Switch's successor. If it really is just a beefed up Switch then Ryujinx(/Yuzu and its forks) would be like Dolphin where it emulates both Switch (GCN) and now potentially Switch 2 (Wii) on day 1, eliminating the need to buy their new console.

Punished Anime Discusser

Early Adopter
View attachment 79638
Wasn't even a C&D as Nintendo had no grounds and Brazil wouldn't have enforced it anyways. Nintendo paid the BRs to pretty please stop working on the emulator and they took the money. So realistically, unless Nintendo wants to pay every retard under the sun, forks should be fine to work on.

UberSoldat

Warhammer vidya bundle, contains the worthwhile titles Battlesector and Inquisitor Martyr

EDIT: Upon further examination, money goes to a troon charity so NEVERMIND

Last edited:

Lurker McSpic

We need to increase the hag population
Wasn't even a C&D as Nintendo had no grounds and Brazil wouldn't have enforced it anyways. Nintendo paid the BRs to pretty please stop working on the emulator and they took the money. So realistically, unless Nintendo wants to pay every retard under the sun, forks should be fine to work on.
It wouldn't be too out there. Realistically it's easier to pay off the autistic asshole who is making you lose money instead of letting him continue the work since they can't sue him. If you've been around this is also the theory of why darkalex stopped modding the psp back in the day. You'd be insane not to take the deal unless you have a hateboner for nintendo which you should have but money is better than no money.

Punished Anime Discusser

Early Adopter
Warhammer vidya bundle, contains the worthwhile titles Battlesector and Inquisitor Martyr

EDIT: Upon further examination, money goes to a troon charity so NEVERMIND
1727898687060.png
:dokiSmug:

Ballpark_Look

Remember the scam game The Day Before? Well those devs are back and have the balls to start crowdfunding another game.

A

Lurker McSpic

hey remember the "not in a million years" bit, guess who did it in the year of our lord 2024
1727842629218644.jpg
and just so you see how ass is the remake, here's a comparison of james meeting maria

You can argue the original's voice acting is stiff but every line maria says is coated in sex, everything she says has this seductive tone but then you have this valley ass karen that can't act on the remake :selenpointandlaugh:
and yes I stole it from the farms thread :whatastory:

Punished Anime Discusser

Early Adopter
hey remember the "not in a million years" bit, guess who did it in the year of our lord 2024
View attachment 79741
and just so you see how ass is the remake, here's a comparison of james meeting maria

You can argue the original's voice acting is stiff but every line maria says is coated in sex, everything she says has this seductive tone but then you have this valley ass karen that can't act on the remake :selenpointandlaugh:
and yes I stole it from the farms thread :whatastory:

A blood tithe had to be paid for Eva to get hotter in MGS3D, that's just the way of the world.

Alchemyth

It wouldn't be too out there. Realistically it's easier to pay off the autistic asshole who is making you lose money instead of letting him continue the work since they can't sue him. If you've been around this is also the theory of why darkalex stopped modding the psp back in the day. You'd be insane not to take the deal unless you have a hateboner for nintendo which you should have but money is better than no money.
And then you change your handle, fork your repository, continue development, and wait untill Nintendo contacts you again. Seems like a good way to scam those assholes out of their money.

CalciumAnimal

Drink Milk
And then you change your handle, fork your repository, continue development, and wait untill Nintendo contacts you again. Seems like a good way to scam those assholes out of their money.
next time they don't ask they show up with papers already filed and lawyers at your house.

I'm all for taking the money and running but that shit only works once.

UberSoldat

Lurker McSpic

Gman reviews most Aliens games

isn't this the niggér who was saying that if you enjoy killing npcs in gta you're a psychopath or something along those lines?

Anyway people got a hold of early copies of SH remake and they're uploading comparisons. Here watch how they butchered the stairs scene

Angela sounds so much like a tranny and james has one emotion throughout everything I've seen.

They also did eddie dirty, his original design looked like your average fat dude from the time, these assholes turned him into a 40 year old goblin ass creature that sounds retarded. They also removed the camera work that added to eddie's original craziness.

Superduper Samurai

Early Adopter
isn't this the niggér who was saying that if you enjoy killing npcs in gta you're a psychopath or something along those lines?
Yeah, he had a melty on twitter about that even though he has gleefully reviewed postal 2 where he recorded himself doing the optional pedestrian murder like the marching band

a couple months later he called someone a coomer while having numerous coomer thumbnails himself

Top Bottom