"I'm starting to reach the age where doing Tai Chi in the morning seems appealing"Hakos Baelz

Vidya Games Thread

God's Strongest Dragoon

Has this not been their MO since the Xbox 360? a literal grab bag of games as they scrambled to get a handful of games that you can put up against much older franchises. Nin had Mario. Sony had Final Fantasy. Xbox had Halo but it wasn't clear that would be their flagship going forward so they also had ..... Literally had to check Wikipedia.

Madden that's it the only other series I'm seeing that Xbox could call their own at the time unless you want to count friggin Blinx the time sweeper which somehow got 2 games 1 more then a bunch of others.
What are you talking about? It was pretty clear that Halo was their flagship since the original Xbox when Halo 2 went wild while Halo 3 solidified that franchise as the cornerstone of the Xbox. They also had Gears of War but that never really took off to the level that Halo did. Halo was a huge gaming monolith in the 7th gen consoles.

The Xbox 360 is a grab bag only in the sense that it was a wild run of game releases that just happened to come out on the Xbox 360 because the PS3 showed up a year late and Sony didn't give people devkits like the retards they are. Even for the games that were set to come out right after the PS3's launch, they didn't come to the PS3 until much later because even big companies like Sega and THQ didn't receive devkits while the PS3 was set to launch with 6 months.

All these games were associated with the Xbox 360 not because of Microsoft's doing but because of Sony being gigaretards while the industry was on a roll pumping out bangers.

CalciumAnimal

Drink Milk
What are you talking about? It was pretty clear that Halo was their flagship since the original Xbox when Halo 2 went wild while Halo 3 solidified that franchise as the cornerstone of the Xbox. They also had Gears of War but that never really took off to the level that Halo did. Halo was a huge gaming monolith in the 7th gen consoles.

The Xbox 360 is a grab bag only in the sense that it was a wild run of game releases that just happened to come out on the Xbox 360 because the PS3 showed up a year late and Sony didn't give people devkits like the retards they are. Even for the games that were set to come out right after the PS3's launch, they didn't come to the PS3 until much later because even big companies like Sega and THQ didn't receive devkits while the PS3 was set to launch with 6 months.

All these games were associated with the Xbox 360 not because of Microsoft's doing but because of Sony being gigaretards while the industry was on a roll pumping out bangers.

Considering how easy for a supposed flagship to collapse and Halo while being an excellent shooter did not really take off till ODST / Combat Evolved which was on the 360/ after the original Xbox life cycle. Source Trust me bro.

I will admit I am a retard and forgot the 360 was not the first Xbox which is also not called the Xbox One.

Fuck you microsoft name your shit better.

Edit: I meant Halo 3 not ODST/Combat Evolved. I am truly the retard.

Last edited:

God's Strongest Dragoon

Considering how easy for a supposed flagship to collapse and Halo while being an excellent shooter did not really take off till ODST / Combat Evolved which was on the 360/ after the original Xbox life cycle. Source Trust me bro.

I will admit I am a retard and forgot the 360 was not the first Xbox which is also not called the Xbox One.

Fuck you microsoft name your shit better.

Edit: I meant Halo 3 not ODST/Combat Evolved. I am truly the retard.
Please spend the 5 seconds to google shit that you're not familiar with. Halo already went gangbusters with Halo 2 on the original Xbox, as it was the second best-selling game of 2004 (beaten by San Andreas because that game had infinite legs). Halo 2's release sales were massive and it earned $125 million in its first 24 hours, which was the record at the time and wasn't beaten until Halo 3.

And yeah, turns out losing your dev team that made the 5 games in the series causes your flagship to collapse in quality. Kind of like how TLOU2 sold 4 million copies in its opening weekend but then slowly crawled to 10 million over 2 years because Naughty Dog had like a 70% employee turnover rate during development. Surely TLOU is a rock solid flagship for Sony that will generate a gajillion dollars with TLOU3?

Its also funny you mentioned Final Fantasy earlier as a flagship for Sony. Turns out Rebirth and FF16 sold so poorly that Square Enix is abandoning Playstation exclusivity and making all their games multiplatform from now on. So there goes that Sony flagship.

CalciumAnimal

Drink Milk
Its also funny you mentioned Final Fantasy earlier as a flagship for Sony. Turns out Rebirth and FF16 sold so poorly that Square Enix is abandoning Playstation exclusivity and making all their games multiplatform from now on. So there goes that Sony flagship.
The other half of it is Enix flooding the market (good job fucking it up as you usually do enix) with the DLC / Intergrade First Solider then the Crisis Core remake then Ever Crisis which is just a retelling of 7 again and also the remasters of basically all the old pixel games and i noticed 7 and 8 in online stores as well.

But yeah if were talking current day even smaller series would have a better fit for the flagship name for Sony though I would put the from souls like games in that slot over neil drunkman who is turning out to be as insufferable as kojima at his worst.

Brosnan Pierce Brosnan

God's Strongest Smartass
Dizzy's Husband
Has this not been their MO since the Xbox 360? a literal grab bag of games as they scrambled to get a handful of games that you can put up against much older franchises. Nin had Mario. Sony had Final Fantasy. Xbox had Halo but it wasn't clear that would be their flagship going forward so they also had ..... Literally had to check Wikipedia.

Madden that's it the only other series I'm seeing that Xbox could call their own at the time unless you want to count friggin Blinx the time sweeper which somehow got 2 games 1 more then a bunch of others.

Madden was considered more of a Sony property since EA said "fuck you" to Sega in lieu of Sony at the time. However Madden appearing on Xbox/GameCube was likely due to the fact that both platforms did very well in the US. Now they did jack shit outside the US but for Football you are targeting the systems that are selling in the US. And so they couldn't ignore the Xbox and GameCube.

If we are going back to the original Xbox you can't really discount the Rainbow Six or Unreal Tournament ports hence why Epic and Ubisoft were associated with Xbox for a time. Sure something like Splinter Cell was on the PS2 and GameCube. But it was an Xbox game much like how RE4 and Killer7 were GameCube games.

Microsoft were just shit at nurturing properties with a lot of them abandoned like Crimson skies, Brute Force etc. But then again on the PS2 what has lasted for Sony outside of Ratchet and Clank for instance?

Microsoft could tend to these goals more. But for 343 they just make shitty Halo games. ID now will just make Doom games and all the dudes making COD (like Treyarch and Raven) will just make COD. So they have properties, but they will just ignore them.

Like look at how long it's been since we had a proper Fable and mind you I am old enough to remember, Fable 1 despite being regarded as a disappointment was a huge deal at the time. So was Fable 2. Gears of War was a big hit, which led to Gears of War 2 being poised to be the next Halo 2 level game. That didn't quite happen if only because COD started to take over the public consciousness.

Shoot for something even more topical, Inafune leaned heavy into the Xbox with Dead Rising and Lost Planet. It didn't work out in the end when everything came tumbling down on him at Capcom, but for a second Dead Rising was a big Xbox property. Which they promptly fucked up with the 3rd game but that's another story.

RestlessRain

Early Adopter
Microsoft were just shit at nurturing properties with a lot of them abandoned like Crimson skies, Brute Force etc. But then again on the PS2 what has lasted for Sony outside of Ratchet and Clank for instance?
Sony leaving so many franchises by the wayside has been both good and bad for them. Obviously, releasing a new entry in a popular series helps with sales of games and consoles. However, Microsoft and Nintendo's reliance on their tentpole franchises means that those console companies have a perception of being targeted to certain demographics and find it difficult to sell to people outside of that, whereas Sony has never had that problem. Microsoft relying so heavily on franchises like Halo and Gears of War really screwed them over when those franchises dropped the ball, whereas Sony releasing a shit game for a new franchise was a financial loss, but had little to no long-term effect on their console or its sales.

And in spite of not really having a mascot character or a tentpole franchise the same way Nintendo or Microsoft do, in spite of having every opportunity to try to do so, Sony has done pretty well in the console wars.

CalciumAnimal

Drink Milk
Like look at how long it's been since we had a proper Fable and mind you I am old enough to remember, Fable 1 despite being regarded as a disappointment was a huge deal at the time. So was Fable 2. Gears of War was a big hit, which led to Gears of War 2 being poised to be the next Halo 2 level game. That didn't quite happen if only because COD started to take over the public consciousness.
:cursedbae:Pretty sure Peter Molyneux was sealed away in the dark realm after making fable 3 where he transmogrified into David Cage. before briefly returning for fable fortune trying to chase that hearthstone money.:cursedbae: Also 3 was a decidedly bad game but 4 is what really killed dead rising.
Sony leaving so many franchises by the wayside has been both good and bad for them. Obviously, releasing a new entry in a popular series helps with sales of games and consoles. However, Microsoft and Nintendo's reliance on their tentpole franchises means that those console companies have a perception of being targeted to certain demographics and find it difficult to sell to people outside of that, whereas Sony has never had that problem. Microsoft relying so heavily on franchises like Halo and Gears of War really screwed them over when those franchises dropped the ball, whereas Sony releasing a shit game for a new franchise was a financial loss, but had little to no long-term effect on their console or its sales.

And in spite of not really having a mascot character or a tentpole franchise the same way Nintendo or Microsoft do, in spite of having every opportunity to try to do so, Sony has done pretty well in the console wars.

so your saying Sony didn't ask for this?:smugpipi: i miss Deus ex.

Ballpark_Look

From all the info I can gather FF16 sold about as well as earlier final fantasy games since the PS2. It's likely some suit at Square Enix set sales targets so astronomically high almost nothing can hit it. This is something that has sadly become extremely common with the industry as a whole. Simply said, the industry has become too big for their pants.

God's Strongest Dragoon

From all the info I can gather FF16 sold about as well as earlier final fantasy games since the PS2
From my understanding, it did ok but it definitely undersold compared to FF15. FF16 sold 3 million copies in its first week while FF15 sold 5 million copies on day 1. FF15 went on to sell 6 million a year later and eventually reached 10 million. We've heard nothing but silence from Square about FF16 sales outside of the initial 3 million, so that's not a good sign. The only time they've even mentioned sales in a positive note was that they said the game sold well relative to the PS5 install base, which sounds like typical corporate coping.

Bug Eater

I finally got around to trying Deadlock, it was fun but I'm completely retarded when it comes to MOBA stuff (perhaps in general). Might stick with it and try to learn the game properly because outside of Marvel Rivals there's not much upcoming that really interests me.

Zyklon Mag

Finished the Voided playthrough of Void Stranger with Gray. I hate puzzle games and sokobans. Friend was yammering away in my ear about there being deep lore while I was bitching at the game thinking I was going to drop it after playing it once. I am now starting a non-Voided playthrough with Gray finding all sorts of weird secrets leading to more fucking secrets. I am talking to rocks. I am busting out MS Paint to solve random nonograms or match pixels like I'm trying to dox vermintide by doorknob pics. I am plunging myself into the abyss as demons laugh at my self-damnation. Crickets' wings buzz endlessly in my pocket and between my teeth.

If you don't like puzzle games/sokobans and don't have the patience to do over 200 levels to get the first glimpse at what's happening, it's dogshit. If you did it anyway, congrats. Do it again but differently. Here's a spoiler-free guide for your first playthrough.

By the way, if there's a black four-eyed block at the top of a staircase, going down the stairs will reset your run. Move that block first before exiting if you want to continue.
void stranger 4 eyed block.png

PatatasDelPapa

DEI things so just ignore me if you want to discuss games.

I don't normally post and I'm not sure if this is the correct place but things happened today and I don't seen them mentioned here and I kinda want to leave a record of it.

On one hand we have the Godot Game Engine Community Manager going on a blocking spree [archive] on twitter and github [archive] for criticisms on a woke post they made. They also are banning any mention of the incident on their discord [archive]. EDIT: The discord is community maintained and not an official one.

On the other hand in a Dragon Quest interview [archive] confirmed that the censoring is from the west imposing their views on the Japanese.

All of this is so tiresome I just want to enjoy my games.

Last edited:

shipmate_F

menhera addicted sister
Pipproject Producer

>Blood Money, PREY, Dead Rising back to back
>F.E.A.R and Gears in the same week
>Skate and Halo 3 in the same month
>Dead Space and Saints Row 2 in the same day
>Fable 2
>Prototype
>Borderlands
>L4D2 and AC2 in the same day
>Bad Company 2

Man that was a lot of good shit. My only complaint about this list is that it doesn't show the ludicrous library of racing, anime and JRPGs in early 360 days because Crowbcat is a fucking westoid, including but not limited to:
  • Tales of Vesperia
  • Naruto Ultimate Ninja Storm
  • Armored Core 4
  • Virtua-On Tangram
  • Bionic Commando
  • Forza Motorsports 3
  • Dante's Inferno
  • Ninety Nine Nights
  • Onechanbara
  • Darksiders
  • DiRT 2
  • Blur
  • GRID
  • Magna Carta 2
  • Vanquish
  • Project Gotham Racing
  • Mirrors Edge
  • Marvel Vs. Capcom 3
  • Devil May Cry 4
  • The fucking Idolm@ster
  • Dragon Ball Burst Limit
  • Eternal Sonata
  • Blue Dragon
  • Lost Odyssey
  • Resonance of Fate
  • The Last Remnant

And so many others after that up-to-Skyrim timeframe, it was just the best option for a long fucking time if you enjoyed videogames. Even after the Kinect it just worked, the Dance Central/Just Dance fever held an audience for some years until eventually they lost traction but it happens, you can't just dump shovelware and expect people to keep at it, the Wii already milked that market.

Brosnan Pierce Brosnan

God's Strongest Smartass
Dizzy's Husband
Bringing up the Xbox 360 library, one of the quirks of the time that MS tried to solicit Japanese dev support was the Science Adventure series. Sony has been pretty harsh the entire time on 3rd parties and censorship hence Chaos:Head was PC only until it got a 360 port. And because Microsoft was more hands off we got further entries.

Basically we wouldn't have Steins;Gate either if it wasn't for the Xbox 360.

Only after it became a hit through the anime did it get a PS3 version... years after the fact. Oddly enough thats the version we got localized in the West. Still have my two copies of Steins:Gate on the 360 though.

RestlessRain

Early Adopter

I think it's entirely reasonable to have the entire dev team for Dustborn locked up and have both the studio's computers, and all their personal computers and phones checked by law enforcement, and release whoever isn't guilty. We'd do it if we lived in a decent society.

PleaseCheckYourReceipts

It sold like 4 million during its release weekend too. So it slowly limped around 6 million more sales after 2 years. For a flagship title, that's awful.

Yeah, GTA5 mind broke the industry. HZD and TLOU2 costing ~200-220 million to make is insane when you look at other games with much smaller budgets. The extra $100+ million they spend on all these small visual improvements that no one truly gives a fuck about is pushing all these studios to "go gangbusters to survive or go bankrupt because your 1 game after 7 years didn't sell insanely well."

You can look at several games on that chart that reached much lower net sales than HZD and TLOU2 but their budgets weren't even half the size of those 2 games, so they were likely far more profitable. It's why Nintendo has been dominating so hard. They don't dump massive budgets into their games so they can make more focused and frequent game releases, causing them to make bank when the games just do well. Mario Kart 8 Deluxe crossed 62 million copies sold and that budget was likely miniscule to half the shit being released nowadays.

The real issues in the industry is that there used to be games making 1/2 billion in sales regularly until fairly recently. That used to be only around 8.4 million units at full price. Normally a couple games a year would do that (net returns to the company was lower, obviously). But trying to get that WoW money took over. Now the 10 most popular games in a year are the same 9 and one hot game that year. It's wild how much as changed.

Though a note that the Xbox One / PS4 era brought Digital Catalogs right along with the death of the Rental Store. It's not really nostaliga for PS2/PS3 era that people have. It's the fact that a normal gamer on a basic budget could play 3-4 new games a month via cheap rentals at the store. If you were a kid in school, you could literally play a new game every weekend for just a couple of bucks. So the games didn't just move more units in previous eras, far larger numbers of people played them.

The quest to move all games to 60 frames per second and 4K resolution is a fools errand. Not because I am a luddite retrograde who enjoys Pong and Frogger, but because there isn't anything impressive to move the tech onwards. All you get are remasters of dreadful trash like TLOU part 2 and dad of war.

The story of Hideo Kojima in one sentence.

Trying to move from 1080p to 4K was going to take 3 console generations. And they could barely do 1080p as it was when they wanted to manage 4K, lol. All of the upscaling tech was dove into because the GPU companies thought they were going to need 8K upscalers by 2020. 8K TVs having not truly taken off has something to do with not going that far.

Kojima is the same as George Lucas. He was fine when there were people to rein his ass in, but the more control he got, the more up his own ass his head went.

All creativity needs some restriction to bounce off of. That's just the nature of it, as there's no clarifying limits otherwise.

The Xbox 360 was the COD console. It was where you played COD in North America. That's really what mattered, which is also why it was where you played Madden at the time. Losing that was the worst part of the Xbox One.

I think it's entirely reasonable to have the entire dev team for Dustborn locked up and have both the studio's computers, and all their personal computers and phones checked by law enforcement, and release whoever isn't guilty. We'd do it if we lived in a decent society.

While I don't disagree, because those virtual signaling types are always the most heinous, and I've seen others have the exact same reaction, I think it was intended for something else. In English, a recently born child is a "newborn". The "new born" is actually a reference to the Christian theological concept of rebirth. So, I think it's intended to be sacrilegious to Christians but comes across as "wait, are they pedos?" to everyone. But that's the level of competence we're dealing with.

VSoyBoy

God's Strongest Dragoon

Though a note that the Xbox One / PS4 era brought Digital Catalogs right along with the death of the Rental Store. It's not really nostaliga for PS2/PS3 era that people have. It's the fact that a normal gamer on a basic budget could play 3-4 new games a month via cheap rentals at the store. If you were a kid in school, you could literally play a new game every weekend for just a couple of bucks. So the games didn't just move more units in previous eras, far larger numbers of people played them.
I'm pretty sure I mentioned this multiple times either here or on the farms. To save myself from writing another novella, the death of the video game rental stores did a lot of damage to the medium/small devs with much smaller budgets in the industry:
>VG rental stores only needed to rent 1 copy 12 times (assuming $5 per rental) over the course of a few years to break even, so it was an easy sell
>devs could expect sell at least 1 copy, maybe more for bigger publishing companies, to each blockbuster or equivalent VG rental store
>With how many rental stores there are in just the US, devs could net +$1 million in net sales in USA & EU rental stores before even worrying about customers
>smaller devs with much smaller budgets could take a lot more risks because a massive chunk of the development costs were already covered

The Xbox 360 was the COD console. It was where you played COD in North America. That's really what mattered, which is also why it was where you played Madden at the time. Losing that was the worst part of the Xbox One.
Yeah, the Xbox 360 version of CoD games would get map packs an entire month ahead of PC and PS3. CoD4 came out of nowhere and completely changed the FPS MP landscape. The release of Halo 3 was also an enormous monstrosity. Then Modern Warfare 2 came out and shattered every record. This shit continued with Halo Reach and Black Ops just dominating again. That 4 year window of CoD and Halo games from 2007-2010 ensured that the PS3 didn't catch up to the Xbox 360 in sales until around 2013.

BlueSharkTV

Fucking Riggers
Early Adopter
Yuria's Husband
Yeah, the Xbox 360 version of CoD games would get map packs an entire month ahead of PC and PS3. CoD4 came out of nowhere and completely changed the FPS MP landscape. The release of Halo 3 was also an enormous monstrosity. Then Modern Warfare 2 came out and shattered every record. This shit continued with Halo Reach and Black Ops just dominating again. That 4 year window of CoD and Halo games from 2007-2010 ensured that the PS3 didn't catch up to the Xbox 360 in sales until around 2013.
for a lot of nostalgia in a single video, and a lot of retrospection too.

God's Strongest Dragoon

Top Bottom