Vidya Games Thread

BlueSharkTV

Fucking Riggers
Early Adopter
Yuria's Husband

Brosnan Pierce Brosnan

God's Strongest Smartass
Dizzy's Husband
And even stuff like Lost Odyssey, The Darkness, Crysis 2 and the Army of Two games (among many others) were omitted from that video

God's Strongest Dragoon

Brosnan Pierce Brosnan

God's Strongest Smartass
Dizzy's Husband
I mean look at this shit

PS3 "won" in sales at the end because of a stronger post 2012 library and also because Sony can sell systems in the EU which MS failed to do. And at the time also sold consoles in Japan.

If the 360 was released today with that lineup Sony wouldn't have the Japan advantage because Japan doesn't care anymore. They'd still have the EU market though for some weird voodoo bullshit reasons. But even with the EU advantage I doubt Sony could have competed with that output.

Sony was smart at the time with backwards compatibility with the PS2 with big games like final fantasy 12 and God Of War 2 landing on that system at the end. Outside of that the PS3 was fucking rough exclusives wise for a long time.

MrProcessor

Soldier of Godrick
I know it's fake but a souls like with Jason Blood as the protagonist GIVE
Gone be the form of man...

I've been playing with Bazzite on a bunch of old PCs. Ever want a Steam Deck with no screen that can only play older (or modern 2D and low spec) games?

https://bazzite.gg/

It's honestly amazing, I put it on this candybar:

And I'm happily playing Powerslave Exhumed without a care in the world..

God's Strongest Dragoon

PS3 "won" in sales at the end because of a stronger post 2012 library and also because Sony can sell systems in the EU which MS failed to do. And at the time also sold consoles in Japan.
The Xbox was largely a US and UK console while it was pretty weak in the rest of the EU market and absolutely nonexistent in JP because if it wasn't made by the Japanese, the JPs didn't want it.

BlueSharkTV

Fucking Riggers
Early Adopter
Yuria's Husband
The Xbox was largely a US and UK console while it was pretty weak in the rest of the EU market and absolutely nonexistent in JP because if it wasn't made by the Japanese, the JPs didn't want it.
the issue with the OG Xbox and to some extent the X360 was that it had no weeb games, most people in EU and some spic countries cared too much about visual novels and Jrpgs because of anime being at it's peak around that time (the biggest Xbox related games in spicland were COD and Halo and you could get COD on PS3 anyways) and the biggest issue with the X360 was online play costed money and on PS3 it was free so a lot of people didn't want to pay for an online service since they already had to pay for the console and the games too.
and there were probably more issues with the X360 having too many issues with it red ringing a lot so people saw that and thought it wouldn't be worth the risk, the OG Xbox didn't have that many exclusives either so the PS2 and Gamecube were more successful by having "bigger" names attached to it like Cuckjima and anything Nintendo related (just look at the Switch it has nothing of value but people just buy anything related to nintendo.)

RestlessRain

Early Adopter

VSoyBoy

Atlus... what the fuck is this promotion?

CalciumAnimal

Drink Milk

normal for Atlus. hell the albino lady even says it outright "the connections might surprise you" aka jack and shit.

I think Atlus has some connections to car dealerships or manufacturers or something?

reinigen

Dang it
Ward Security
normal for Atlus. hell the albino lady even says it outright "the connections might surprise you" aka jack and shit.

I think Atlus has some connections to car dealerships or manufacturers or something?
I've seen enough Japanese megacorps in my time I've learned to not even question it.
xsuy5v.jpeg

npopfj.webp

God's Strongest Dragoon

I've seen enough Japanese megacorps in my time I've learned to not even question it.
xsuy5v.jpeg

npopfj.webp
It's always fun to find people that don't know Sony sells life insurance.

agility_

We have some serious streams to discuss 🔨
Early Adopter
Legacy wise, the 360 "won" that generation based on the games which were greenlit and distributed. PC front pajeetsoft's "games for windows" initiative was a dismal failure but the 360 was more than enough to fulfill Balmer's "get a computer on joe sixpack's lounge" directive. They fucked it all up because microsoft are ran by genetic retards.

Commercially the Wii handed everyone their asses. It moved more plastic dongle trash than anyone has ever in the history of mankind, and it was a way easier sell for families and non-game players as a whole.

The PS3 just didn't turn up. Kutaragi bet the farm on a quantum-leap computing machine that 1) developers never cared to learn to optimize for cost and time reasons 2) had a substantial learning curve for new programmers due to the cell processor algorithms which lost production leverage to the 360s-to-windows pipeline 3) sony found themselves playing catching up with stuff like the PS move and psp integration to minimal impact. Killing off the psp might have been the financially sound decision but my god, was it the wrong one under every other parameter, they just handed over the portable market to the upcoming nswitch.

It was an interesting generation of hardware due to how different each of the strategies employed was. I agree that it was the swan song before the jackboot of live services, lootboxes, gacha, hollywood movie slop and remastermania that we all suffer under from.

Last edited:

CalciumAnimal

Drink Milk
Legacy wise, the 360 "won" that generation based on the games which were greenlit and distributed. PC front pajeetsoft's "games for windows" initiative was a dismal failure but the 360 was more than enough to fulfill Balmer's "get a computer on joe sixpack's lounge" directive. They fucked it all up because microsoft are ran by genetic retards.

Commercially the Wii handed everyone their asses. It moved more plastic dongle trash than anyone has ever in the history of mankind, and it was a way easier sell for families and non-game players as a whole.

The PS3 just didn't turn up. Kutaragi bet the farm on a quantum-leap computing machine that 1) developers never cared to learn to optimize for cost and time reasons 2) had a substantial learning curve for new programmers due to the cell processor algorithms which lost production leverage to the 360s-to-windows pipeline 3) sony found themselves playing catching up with stuff like the PS move and psp integration to minimal impact. Killing off the psp might have been the financially sound decision but my god, was it the wrong one under every other parameter, they just handed over the portable market to the upcoming nswitch.

It was an interesting generation of hardware due to how different each of the strategies employed was. I agree that it was the swan song before the jackboot of live services, lootboxes, gacha, hollywood movie slop and remastermania that we all suffer under from.
i mean the portable market already belongs to Nintendo. the DS essentially printed money as much as the Wii did and before that the GBA had essentially no competition. The Vita was really good competition and deserved way better then it got.

Vita means dead on revival in latin.

Spooked But Lobotomized

Stopped at a thrift store and got lucky with a copy of sly cooper collection for ps2. Only ever played the first. How nice.

What's funny is that someone knighted a games journalist for some reason

CalciumAnimal

Drink Milk
Stopped at a thrift store and got lucky with a copy of sly cooper collection for ps2. Only ever played the first. How nice.

What's funny is that someone knighted a games journalist for some reason
co founder of games workshop of all things. Ian Livingstone. Also Eidos though that was more indirect.

He's mainly responsible for the Fighting Fantasy series ever had one of those CYOA novels that also uses dice or a board. yeah hes the one that made that more accessible and mainstream.

Including writing his own modules.

He's essentially Gary Gygax for roleplaying books and just because it's awesome Rhianna Pratchett had a hand in one of the novels. Steve Jackson also writes a bunch of them (the other co founder of Gamesworkshop)

If your into ttrpg's you may passingly be familiar with the name Firetop Mountain that was him.

MrProcessor

Soldier of Godrick
i mean the portable market already belongs to Nintendo. the DS essentially printed money as much as the Wii did and before that the GBA had essentially no competition. The Vita was really good competition and deserved way better then it got.

Vita means dead on revival in latin.
I am really looking forward to the day when Vita Emulation becomes solid. Suddenly a bunch of games nobody played back in the day will probably become Internet memes.

Saturnus

haha it's unou

...Bro did you miss the collab Atlus had with Shin Megami Tensei V and Slipknot they had earlier this summer? SMT might have a hard rock/metal/hard techno/D&B/Breakcore OST but  Slipknot of all bands?

UberSoldat

Steam sale on turn-based games

Notable titles include, but are not limited to: Songs of Conquest, Rogue Trader, SpellForce: Conquest of Eo, XCOM, FFX, Pathfinder, Darkest Dungeon, Mechanicus, Jagged Alliance 3

CalciumAnimal

Drink Milk
...Bro did you miss the collab Atlus had with Shin Megami Tensei V and Slipknot they had earlier this summer? SMT might have a hard rock/metal/hard techno/D&B/Breakcore OST but  Slipknot of all bands?
what's wrong with slipknot there are way worse bands in the same genre and them and disturbed for that matter actually know how to make music.

Top Bottom