"MILK DOESNT EXPIRE i drink milk past 1-2 weeks all the time!! im lactose intolerant though so it kinda hurts ;v;"Lia Rinkou

Vidya Games Thread

Security

irc.rizon.net #TheVirtualAsylum
As for the Switch 2, the important part is that it'll have an actually new SoC to work with.

The important part is that it's backwards compatible and that it allows for higher resolutions and higher framerates.

CalciumAnimal

Drink Milk
Please tell me you're not some zoomer and actually know what this is
R.png
They used Super for one console. hence my "might as well called it to Switch Bros" comment. maybe i'm retarded for not explaining that well enough but there should be a better reason. I guess they also called Metroid SUPER Metroid too.

Lurker McSpic

We need to increase the hag population
on the patent thing, found this comment so take with a grain of salt but it does sound like they patented spawning a monster character based on a firing input

God's Strongest Dragoon

on the patent thing, found this comment so take with a grain of salt but it does sound like they patented spawning a monster character based on a firing input

That isn't the only thing, there's like 3-4 stupid patents they threw in that should get them sued by big MMOs in turn. My favorite is that they patented switching transport vehicles/riding creatures automatically depending on the terrain, such as going into water. Nintendo has a fuckton of stupid patents that have no business holding any water in court.

reinigen

Dang it
Ward Security
As for the Switch 2, the important part is that it'll have an actually new SoC to work with. The Tegra in the first Switch had been on the market for like 2+ years when the Switch eventually released, which means the design is from around 2011. It'll be wild to see what performance increases the new one will bring.
This post was also going around on the leaks subreddit funny enough.
https://www.reddit.com/r/GamingLeaksAndRumours/comments/1fjyril/die_size_estimations_for_the_switch_2_soc_put_it/
Perspective correction of the PCB (credit to Richard from Digital Foundry):

doj0ly.jpeg

You might ask "how would we begin to even estimate the die size using this?" Well we have two key factors to consider. For one we KNOW for sure what RAM is being used based on manifest leaks and more recent leaks. And conveniently enough the RAM spot on the PCB is right next to where the SoC will be placed.We know the RAM part number already, so if we take a peek at the datasheet we see that the dimensions for the RAM package right next to the SoC is is 14mm x 14mm. That gives us a an LPDDR5X package size of 196mm2: (here's the datasheet):

q0zzrv.jpeg

So we know the RAM package right next to the SoC is 196mm2. If we rewind a little bit back to the original Switch, we can see that the SoC package itself is of course larger than the physical die, but the important part to consider is the middle part of the package where the contact points will directly connect with the SoC (it works like this with laptops and other electronics too, but it's not exactly an identical size). Here is the Switch 1 PCB with the SoC removed where we can see how the actual size of the die lines up pretty closely (not 100% exactly the same size as the die):

pahh2l.jpeg

Here is the Switch 1 PCB with the SoC package added onto the board:
566d98.jpeg

So that leaves us with two factors we know:
  • The RAM package directly next to the SoC has an area of 196mm2
  • The area where the die is actually at in the middle of the SoC package is approximately the same size, +/- 10mm2

Here's a picture for illustration purposes:
qgkokp.jpeg

When we factor in perspective correction margin of error, the die sizes not being perfectly the same square shape, and the die not always perfectly aligning on top of the middle square part of the PCB, that puts us approximately in the range of 190mm2 to 210mm2

My speculation: The SoC meant for this PCB is using a more advanced node than SEC8N, because 190mm2 - 210mm2 seems too small to me when we consider the transistor density and the die sizes of T234/Other Ampere GPUs. But we also have to consider that T234 (and other Ampere GPUs) have bits and bobs that T239 will not use so it could go either way! Edit: We also have to keep in mind that a 4nm die of this size would also be pretty expensive, so I think it could go either way really (or it could be something in between Samsung 8nm and TSMC 4nm)

EDIT: I edited some things just to make it clear that more factors have a margin of error, especially how the die on the package aligns with the middle square section on the PCB. I also credited any information I didn't create myself.

EDIT 2: Upon second look, I think it's definitely SEC8N. If we look at the die sizes of Ada Lovelace GPUs like AD106 (which has a ton of L2 cache (cache doesn't scale very well) + nearly 3x as many CUDA cores) this die would be larger than it, which is 188mm2 (4060 Ti). There would be no reason for T239 on 4nm to even be close to this size, or anywhere near the sizes that would make sense for this PCB spot.

I'm all in on 8nm, I don't see another plausible route with this PCB leak.

EDIT 3:
I took the Steam Deck as an example. I made the SoC transparent so you can see how the package and die line up with the contact points on the PCB:

llwpcq.jpeg

Last edit: The Mariko die in the Switch 1 revision was smaller while the contact point area in the middle stayed the same size. So that goes against my theory. I guess we will have to wait and see what happens when this launches. Fortunately we should immediately know whether T239 is 4nm or not when we see a picture of the package, this PCB shot has definitely provided valuable information either way.

RestlessRain

Early Adopter

Nintendo filed a patent in May 2024 to argue that a game released in January 2024 broke their patent.

1726723537646.png

PleaseCheckYourReceipts

Wow, they're putting a 5+ year console life on a many-years behind Samsung node. Samsung must have paid them to produce on that node, lol.

CalciumAnimal

Drink Milk
Wow, they're putting a 5+ year console life on a many-years behind Samsung node. Samsung must have paid them to produce on that node, lol.
nintendo always does this. insert dinosaur joke here. Honestly i wish playstation and XBox followed suit and stopped trying to shove UNTESTED top of the line stuff in and being surprised when it eventually breaks (sony in particular)

Also using tech that people are at least passingly familiar with makes it easy to develop and port shit to your system. Insert playstation has no games joke here.

PleaseCheckYourReceipts

nintendo always does this. insert dinosaur joke here. Honestly i wish playstation and XBox followed suit and stopped trying to shove UNTESTED top of the line stuff in and being surprised when it eventually breaks (sony in particular)

Also using tech that people are at least passingly familiar with makes it easy to develop and port shit to your system. Insert playstation has no games joke here.
My comment was more on the Node. It's Samsung's advance 7nm node. Which has been in full scale production since at least 2018. You don't have to be Apple on the newest node every year, but it should have been running the lower density settings on 5nm to get that power draw & heat benefits. There's been more major nodes to come out since the Switch launched than they'll end up moving up with the Switch 2.

This isn't "cheaping out". Given the power draw benefits alone from more advanced nodes, Samsung must have cut a massive deal that made it way too good for Nintendo to pass up. Home Consoles can't quite do "most recent" node, they have to go on the node with a large capacity to hand over the life span. Though it makes a fairly easy node port to I think Samsung's N4 node(?) for a Pro model in 3 years. I haven't looked at Samsung's node paths in a while.

Lurker McSpic

Nintendo filed a patent in May 2024 to argue that a game released in January 2024 broke their patent.

View attachment 78642
Like I said before they're fucked. The oriental court is gonna rule in favor of nintendo, doesn't matter if they filed it a day before trial :Vesper-UNHINGED: I assume some retard boomer is in charge of approving these patents but if this keeps going nintendo will probably own most of game mechanics under the sun if they don't put people who knows more than dick about games in charge and tells them to fuck off.

reinigen

Dang it
Ward Security
Like I said before they're fucked. The oriental court is gonna rule in favor of nintendo, doesn't matter if they filed it a day before trial :Vesper-UNHINGED: I assume some retard boomer is in charge of approving these patents but if this keeps going nintendo will probably own most of game mechanics under the sun if they don't put people who knows more than dick about games in charge and tells them to fuck off.
The court can't be stupid enough to allow no grandfathering in, right? God help them if that's actually how it goes down.

Superduper Samurai

Early Adopter
We dont know exactly if its even one of the patents they're suing over, right?

For all we know they have something with precedent over that is a much more older and or seemingly blatant one they can strongarm into fucking Pocketpair with no lube

Lurker McSpic

There are many questions that need answers and I know the perfect guy

:ironmousekek::ironmousekek::ironmousekek:
But for real though some of you niggérs have such a hateboner for the guy that seems absurd. Could have some info, since he's an actual practicing lawyer and shit unlike someone from Minnesota :dokiSmug:

Saturnus

haha it's unou
I may love Nintendo's software but as a business they're absolutely fucking awful. I've seen people call them the "Disney of Video Games" for a reason. This lawsuit reeks of absolute cope and seethe from Nintendo & the Pokemon Company. They can't make a better game than a handful of dudes who didn't know what the fuck a git repository was so they passed around a bucket of usb sticks with code and asset changes for the day. So they've gotta strike them down to continue being the #1 slop monster collecting franchise compared to a independent group of developers who just tacks every popular game mechanic together and throws it at the wall to see if it sticks.

They used Super for one console. hence my "might as well called it to Switch Bros" comment. maybe i'm retarded for not explaining that well enough but there should be a better reason. I guess they also called Metroid SUPER Metroid too.
Calling the Switch 2 "Super Switch" just sounds better and gets the point across that it's a more enhanced version of the Switch. It's better than the "new" Nintendo 3DS XL/"new" Nintendo 2DS XL where the "new" doesn't really tell you wtf it is.

Security

I may love Nintendo's software but as a business they're absolutely fucking awful. I've seen people call them the "Disney of Video Games" for a reason. This lawsuit reeks of absolute cope and seethe from Nintendo & the Pokemon Company. They can't make a better game than a handful of dudes who didn't know what the fuck a git repository was so they passed around a bucket of usb sticks with code and asset changes for the day. So they've gotta strike them down to continue being the #1 slop monster collecting franchise compared to a independent group of developers who just tacks every popular game mechanic together and throws it at the wall to see if it sticks.

Calling the Switch 2 "Super Switch" just sounds better and gets the point across that it's a more enhanced version of the Switch. It's better than the "new" Nintendo 3DS XL/"new" Nintendo 2DS XL where the "new" doesn't really tell you wtf it is.

If it is indeed to be, as it looks, just a beefier, better Switch that's backwards compatible, then Super Switch actually makes more sense than the Super NES did. I'm for it.

Superduper Samurai

Early Adopter
This is the same company who pretty much partially crippled their brand spanking new system meant to finally compete graphically with its competitors by calling it a Wii again and confusing many a parent and grandparent because they thought the tablet was just an addon to the Wii
and then anyways it was surpassed gen-wise a year later

Security

This is the same company who pretty much partially crippled their brand spanking new system meant to finally compete graphically with its competitors by calling it a Wii again and confusing many a parent and grandparent because they thought the tablet was just an addon to the Wii

Yes, and we nerds watching their E3 debut of it knew that was how it was going to be viewed.

The Super Switch, however, will be very upfront in not only its name - "It's an Improved Switch!" - but also in how it visually just looks like a bigger Switch. Which is what it is - a bigger, improved Switch.

reinigen

Dang it
Ward Security
Yes, and we nerds watching their E3 debut of it knew that was how it was going to be viewed.

The Super Switch, however, will be very upfront in not only its name - "It's an Improved Switch!" - but also in how it visually just looks like a bigger Switch. Which is what it is - a bigger, improved Switch.
I think for THAT reason they absolutely shouldn't call it Super Switch. With console revisions like the PS Pros and Gameboy had, they should 100% seek to avoid another Wii U incident and put a fucking number in the name for all the idiot parents and grandparents to KNOW it is a totally different thing.

Saturnus

haha it's unou
I think for THAT reason they absolutely shouldn't call it Super Switch. With console revisions like the PS Pros and Gameboy had, they should 100% seek to avoid another Wii U incident and put a fucking number in the name for all the idiot parents and grandparents to KNOW it is a totally different thing.
They should call it the Nintendo Repeater because it is repeating their previous hardware's gimmick while also being "new and different".
:smugselen:

PleaseCheckYourReceipts

I watched that E3. Even afterwards, the discussions around it, from hyper invested gamers, was complete & utter confusion.

I think they'll be fine as long as it isn't the "Switch Pro". Plus, we don't know what new gimmick its going to have. Nintendo always has a new trick, even if it barely works.

Top Bottom