"Everytime I drink milk I play the 'sickness gacha', sometimes I'll throw it up! and sometimes I'll get lucky!"Fujikura Uruka

[Live] PIPPAPOSTING

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hff201

Pippa Fan, Failed Normalfriend
Early Adopter
Is healthcare actually absurdly expensive in the US, or is it one of those things where Twitter commies exaggerate and cherrypick because they want a bootleg NHS and Pippa goes along with it as part of her "I don't want to see a doctor" cope?

Punished Anime Discusser

Early Adopter
>google gives you a bunch of bullshit
>chatgpt which pulls directly from google doesn't
1082242637249126471.gif

Brosnan Pierce Brosnan

God's Strongest Smartass
Dizzy's Husband
Is healthcare actually absurdly expensive in the US, or is it one of those things where Twitter commies exaggerate and cherrypick because they want a bootleg NHS and Pippa goes along with it as part of her "I don't want to see a doctor" cope?
Its a clusterfuck man

chihirogumi

Vice was great when they did documentaries on weird stuff, but now they're massively garbage. A lot of it is that they usually become big off of one thing they get right, and once that ends their retarded takes come out.
The good news is earlier this month they've admitted that they're most likely going bankrupt. They already shut down Waypoint, their gaming subsection full of insufferable game journos.

Spergatory

Early Adopter
Little of colum A, little of colum B.

auxchar

auxiliary character
I've never liked them, they look too flimsy. I personally like the Kobra printers which tend to be more sturdy and the price point is higher but still within the $500 price point.
They're not exactly "too" flimsy when you can literally build a printer out of PVC pipe and still have it work lol. Like I said, everything I've done so far has been on an Ender 3. It takes quite a bit more babysitting to get the first layer right, but it will do the job.
PVC printer.png

Planetary Bombardment

It's the only way to be sure.
Healthcare is absurdly expensive in the US, in part because all medical professionals have to pay for absurdly expensive malpractice insurance. If you get medical insurance through your employer, as the vast majority of people do, it's not that bad. You go to the doctor, you drop your copay, and you get good healthcare. If you're paying for it out of pocket or because you're self-employed it kind of sucks. If you barely push back on your bill at all the provider will work with you to reduce the expense. Basically you'll be charged a shit ton of money because the provider knows insurance will pay for it. No insurance? Boy that's weird the bill magically went down.

Topo Chico

If you have a stable job that pays decently you're fine. If you're a poor fuck the government has programs that aren't great but they are better than nothing. A hospital has to make sure you don't die so there's that. If you're one of the people stuck in the middle it takes a large amount out of your paycheck. A person should expect to pay around 5-7k depending on their insurance plan a year. If you're sickly, you're going to be hurtin for cash real quick dependin on the type of plan you have. The insurance industry is very complicated and twitter nigs don't understand it and neither do I. It's not great, but just dont be fat and extremely poor = you should likely manage.

Realticule

Prime Indigenous Pipkin Pippa Appreciator.
Early Adopter
I CAN STILL FIX HER
✡︎ God's Chosen Schizo ✡︎
>google gives you a bunch of bullshit
>chatgpt which pulls directly from google doesn't
View attachment 27256
To be fair, Google isn't bad because it can't search, it's bad because it puts advertised results first which is annoying and they keep increasing the amount of adverts over time as they need shekels. At this point almost the whole first page is advertisements posing as search results.

It's both. Healthcare in the US is retarded and it can be stupidly expensive because of all of the regulation and insurance bullshit, but if you fight it they will usually slash prices and if you don't have insurance, you sometimes end up paying way less than if you do.

Martin Shkreli said it himself, he was giving out the drug for free to anyone who needed it, including illegals, the massive mark up was just to get insurance money because they'd pay regardless. There are also tons of other anecdotes, like on PKA where Woody with insurance paid $2,000 for some aspirin, and Kyle (FPS Russia) paid about $500 dollars for extensive surgery to remove cancer from his eyelid because he didn't have insurance.

They've also done experiments and be cutting out insurance it generally reduced prices substantially.

Oh, and if you want to know how retarded it is, Trump made insulin much cheaper thanks to an EO by allowing sourcing from more places around the world, and Biden killed it along with all the other EO's day one of office because no refunds, fuck you diabetics.

Edit: Oh, and the number of doctors that graduate each year is artificially limited by the government, much like how taxi medallions were (well still are but no one cares because of Uber).

Spergatory

Early Adopter
Healthcare is absurdly expensive in the US, in part because all medical professionals have to pay for absurdly expensive malpractice insurance. If you get medical insurance through your employer, as the vast majority of people do, it's not that bad. You go to the doctor, you drop your copay, and you get good healthcare. If you're paying for it out of pocket or because you're self-employed it kind of sucks. If you barely push back on your bill at all the provider will work with you to reduce the expense. Basically you'll be charged a shit ton of money because the provider knows insurance will pay for it. No insurance? Boy that's weird the bill magically went down.
Yep you explained it better than I could. To give an example, I get infusions for a chronic illness every 7 weeks. The medicine costs "$20,000", but I only pay a $50 copay and insurance through my employer covers the rest. A lot of medicine like mine also has plans to help drastically reduce the cost to a similar amount, but I don't need it due to insurance.

Punished Anime Discusser

Early Adopter
5-7k depending on their insurance plan a year
Meanwhile, second world Slav dystopia: Free + $10 a month for extra insurance that gets you into half the private clinics in the country for basically free because they all have deals with the government. I paid a grand total of about $25 between 10-12 dentist visits. My friend who somehow didn't have health insurance at that time had to get a bunch of shit done for a cancer test and ended up paying less than $10 for all of it.

Topo Chico

Meanwhile, second world Slav dystopia: Free + $10 a month for extra insurance that gets you into half the private clinics in the country for basically free because they all have deals with the government. I paid a grand total of about $25 between 10-12 dentist visits. My friend who somehow didn't have health insurance at that time had to get a bunch of shit done for a cancer test and ended up paying less than $10 for all of it.
I have to subsidize the Yamanbas and the fats (the majority of the bloat) FEELS FUCKING BAD MAN

Hff201

Early Adopter

Punished Anime Discusser

Early Adopter
I have to subsidize the Yamanbas and the fats (the majority of the bloat) FEELS FUCKING BAD MAN
To be fair, my taxes and those $10 are going to the fucking Gypsies halfway across the country who don't even pay taxes, but have 15 children each and get child welfare on all of them.

Realticule

Prime Indigenous Pipkin Pippa Appreciator.
Early Adopter
I CAN STILL FIX HER
✡︎ God's Chosen Schizo ✡︎
Oh, and don't forget, the more shit that's mandated to be covered, like "gender affirming care" that insurance companies can't let you opt out of, the more your premiums and copays go up generally which is retarded.

Sure, but you might walk into a doctor's office in your country and it's Vee with his bag of snake oils and witch potions.

Spergatory

Early Adopter
Dentistry is easily the most fucked up in the US. No insurance covers it well and any little thing done to your mouth is hundreds of dollars at the minimum. It's why Britbongs can afford to have shitty ass teeth.

Punished Anime Discusser

Early Adopter
Sure, but you might walk into a doctor's office in your country and it's Vee.
Worse, it's always fat, 45+ not-the-good-kind hags with hairy arms and karen haircuts.

Hff201

Early Adopter

Punished Anime Discusser

Early Adopter
Pippa please, take the poor lard dog outside.

Thomas Talus

Εκ λόγου άλλος εκβαίνει λόγος
Early Adopter
It's a complicated issue that's muddled by a lot of messy regulations and financial incentives. We pay our medical professionals a lot more than other countries do, but also work them a lot harder. The native supply of doctors is kept artificially low by the med schools, but we import other countries' doctors like crazy. As Planetary Bombardment mentioned, med professionals and hospitals need to carry massive malpractice insurance. Hospital stays are more expensive, but the standard is 1-2 patients per room rather than open wards. If you have insurance, it can cover a lot of your costs, although they may also try to jew you hard; if you're genuinely poor, the state will cover all of your medical bills and you may even be able to utilize more care resources than someone with more money than you. Your insurance rates are jacked up by lavish mandatory minimums that you may never need like pregnancy coverage for males (even before the current trans zeitgeist). Also there are a lot of chronic lifestyle diseases that use massive amounts of resources that everyone else has to subsidize.

A lot of the high costs are because the hospitals know the insurance have deep pockets, so they can jack up the bill. To give an example, when I was in law school I needed to get a medical scan done because I thought I might have appendicitis. I asked the urgent care clinic (a private walk-in facility) how much it would be cash, and they said $90. My copay with my insurance at the time was $50, so I put it on my insurance and paid $50. I later got a bill summary that said that the price for the service was $210, but that they would only bill the insurance company ~$150 and write off the rest. How much did the service "cost"?

But counterbalancing all of this is the fact that if you have cancer or some highly unusual medical condition, you can access the finest facilities and professionals in the world. People like to cite the US as having a high infant death rate in hospitals, but a lot of that is because we attempt to save babies that most countries would write off as stillborn (which doesn't count towards those statistics).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom