"Y-You can't do this to me... YOU KNOW HOW MUCH I'VE SACRIFICED?!!"Magni Dezmond

General Thread v2: Enhanced Segregation Techniques!

soap suds

do niji managers are just there to make sure none of the talents make deez nuts joke like wtf :NOWWELAUGH:
Managers support projects and talk about them with livers, there have been many stories of management talking about logistics and all that shit, but they don't offer too much on the resources. If a liver wants to do a project they must reach out to artists, pay for things, schedule meetings with others working on the project, etc.

Enna is currently streaming and talking about her hanging out with Iluna and Petra in Japan. She is also still in Japan and has been there for about a month, which has led people to believe that she's moved there and is living with her dad. I personally don't think so because while I'm sure she would be happy living near her dad and little brother, her sick mom is still in Canada. Millie and Elira are also still in Canada, so she isn't leaving Maple Land unless she can drag those two with her.

Seth

Fubuki's Best Friendo
Managers support projects and talk about them with livers, there have been many stories of management talking about logistics and all that shit, but they don't offer too much on the resources. If a liver wants to do a project they must reach out to artists, pay for things, schedule meetings with others working on the project, etc.
Thats one thing i dont understand in the vtuber industry. Their roles feels more like assistants. You dont see celebrities contacting everyone they will work with. They have managers that gets everything done including the schedule etc. Are managers in the vtuber industry simply underpaid so they get half the job done? Or simply incompetents?

sbm

Early Adopter
Archivist
Hmmmm, so I don't think the shorts meta is paying off as much as i intiially thought. I was a bit colder that others, but I still remember Rin and Yuko having quite a boost in live viewers for awhile. But I'm guessing a lot of the ones from shorts just jump around and aren't retained. Yuko here for instance has about 50k less subs than Pippa, which is a bit. However Pippa right now has 10x as much viewers. Might be an anomaly but I have seen a viewer decline in Yuko (and Rin but I'm more familiar with Yuko to be fair).

YT algo is one topic I know a bit about, so I'll go off a bit here.

Live Streams and Shorts are, in my opinion, not compatible content. The YT live algo can't use the normal retention metrics the YT video algos use. It also can't do as much content detection; most content detection happens in processing time after a stream ends. YT substitutes join/leave rates of a stream to power the algo. If an unusual number of people are joining but aren't leaving the stream, the algo believes the stream is popular and gets served to a greater variety of viewers, until it starts to get served to people who are less interested, which will naturally cause the join/leave rate to taper off.

Any viewer that's likely to click off a stream, whether it's lack of instant gratification or even just to watch the vod later, will reduce the join/leave ratio and affect the push to all other viewers, because again YT doesn't have robust content detection for live content so it can't serve as much by viewer interests.

This isn't as big a deal for video content because viewer preferences include all sorts of characteristics like topics, length, favorite colors, whatever. A viewer who clicks off only affects the algo for viewers with similar preferences. Not as easy for live content as YT has less information about the content to go on.

Side note: Willingness to watch live content is itself an algo characteristic - you can see this easily by training a new account to watch streams, at first you will see no streams at all, the more streams you watch the more likely streams get recommended.

I'm not here saying shorts viewers are nothing. I think for smaller channels any eyes on are a massive plus, and for very large channels live viewership actually stops being a useful metric. It's just a fundamental audience incompatibility.

I'm super interested in a comment she made about "a pool of resources available to us" which I assume means there's a cash warchest/budget. I have to imagine that's per-talent but the way she worded it, it sounds like it's just a giant singular budget that anyone can draw from? I don't even know how that would work.

That said, it's still in honeymoon period, I wonder if this attitude with the management is going to keep up.
To put on my corporate-speak hat for a moment, "resources" in the corporate world 90% of the time means "labor". In the case of a vtuber agency I imagine it's editors, producers, translators, maybe even artists, etc that the company has either employed or contracted.

Porean

Lavender Spider Lover & Tsunderia Scholar
Early Adopter
Thats one thing i dont understand in the vtuber industry. Their roles feels more like assistants. You dont see celebrities contacting everyone they will work with. They have managers that gets everything done including the schedule etc. Are managers in the vtuber industry simply underpaid so they get half the job done? Or simply incompetents?
The managers have the same contracts as the Vtubers, so they only have to work three hours a week, and if that dang ole' tummy hurt? Well you better believe there's no managing being done until they've had at least a week of rest!

BlueSharkTV

Fucking Riggers
Early Adopter
Yuria's Husband
timesmith raft soon.

edit: kronii pov.

Last edited:

Sh4gg1

yeah...
Early Adopter
Just Dance kino is starting soon.

Kotoka and Maria will be doing a offcollab in 4 hours.

Last edited:

Awoogers

basic ass man who loves the british funny woman

reinigen

Dang it
Ward Security
Live Streams and Shorts are, in my opinion, not compatible content. The YT live algo can't use the normal retention metrics the YT video algos use. It also can't do as much content detection; most content detection happens in processing time after a stream ends. YT substitutes join/leave rates of a stream to power the algo. If an unusual number of people are joining but aren't leaving the stream, the algo believes the stream is popular and gets served to a greater variety of viewers, until it starts to get served to people who are less interested, which will naturally cause the join/leave rate to taper off.
I saw Punkalopi talk about this once and she basically said the exact same thing. She basically says she has two separate audiences - her shorts audience and her stream audience. And she's tried, but she has to approach them separately because trying to get one to convert to the other isn't really worth the effort in her opinion.

edit:

@Kuri Rinji - I look forward to the impending days of autism and reeeeeing that will come from this.

The Rrat

Phoneposting, Rat-loving menace
Early Adopter
Indeed, though she started english young enough to benefit at least.
Interesting, I figured her parents moved to Canada before she was born so she was just dual-lingual.

Bernkastel

Mori's pet cat

Just saw that Konami tweet with all the dumb pomudachi high on copium. The 20th is gonna be ugly

On the other hand Mori is just a weird choice

She sounds like she's singing at gunpoint
This is what's considered good in the vtuber scene?
Meanwhile fleshtubers:

One is doing an endurance karaoke live. Another one is a properly recorded and edited cover.

Last edited:

nooternun

(๑ 'ᆺ' ) Pfp is me IRL

Enna is currently streaming and talking about her hanging out with Iluna and Petra in Japan. She is also still in Japan and has been there for about a month, which has led people to believe that she's moved there and is living with her dad. I personally don't think so because while I'm sure she would be happy living near her dad and little brother, her sick mom is still in Canada. Millie and Elira are also still in Canada, so she isn't leaving Maple Land unless she can drag those two with her.
Enna has an impressively strange family even for a vtuber. She talks about her mom's mental illness, does she have a "physical" sickness as well? Ah, I imagine I would be more fucked up then the streamers I watch if I was raised by their family. Pomu, I know you're here. Please move to Japan so you can meet cute girls like Petra and get sponsorships. You could even meet Pekora, your MGS sibling. :pekonod:

La+ de Central Norte

General of the second army commanded by Gozaru

Cute Gozaru is nervous because she cant speak English and she never talked to Raden or Nerissa :D

Lapu is also nervous because she is going to met her favorite VA in the Holo FC stream

Cute LapuSora
Good night

electronic elephant

"I am uncontrollable. I cannot be managed."—Vesper
Early Adopter
Airi casually mentioned black company shenanigans again yesterday. She once worked from 5am Friday until 9pm Saturday. Her company had them clock out at 12am and clock back in at 1am to "reset the timer" on doubletime pay. (That sounds pretty shady to me, but Airi apparently buys it.)

:fishmandispair::fishmandispair::fishmandispair:

Some more lighthearted bits:

Airi finding a car accident in Geoguesser.

Airi talking about pants vs skirts/dresses.

CalciumAnimal

Drink Milk
Matara speaks on having management that's willing to help out with projects.

I'm super interested in a comment she made about "a pool of resources available to us" which I assume means there's a cash warchest/budget. I have to imagine that's per-talent but the way she worded it, it sounds like it's just a giant singular budget that anyone can draw from? I don't even know how that would work.

That said, it's still in honeymoon period, I wonder if this attitude with the management is going to keep up.

On the topic of the warchest.

I SUSPECT there is a cap you can draw per talent. "we have X amount allocated total and you can each draw out Y total" it's logistically fucked like everything else at Vsho but it works otherwise I also assume this is more along the lines of "pay the rest yourself" if you run out of funds or wait for the chest to refill so to speak (yearly budget id wager)

Just to keep things clear.
X wants to make a video
IT costs let's say 5000
They have 3500 left in the chest but they already drew 3500 with the cap being 4000
So they can take 500 from the chest and pay the rest themselves.

They must have one hell of a bean counter to keep track of more then several talents all pulling from this chest for projects though.

Assuming Nina isn't just explaining badly

EDIT: thought could this be related to the "points" system i think Vsho had talents mention that.

Last Of The Mohicans

shopping cart not included
To put on my corporate-speak hat for a moment, "resources" in the corporate world 90% of the time means "labor". In the case of a vtuber agency I imagine it's editors, producers, translators, maybe even artists, etc that the company has either employed or contracted.
This assumes that VShojo has a bunch of those labor resources -- especially artists, theoretically developers, planners, potentially even music producers -- either in house on salary or on retainer in some fashion, wouldn't it?

I suppose some of that isn't out of the question but how is that sustainable, especially when Matara herself came in Day 1 saying fuck the rat race.

SandyCat

Frog enjoyer
GrimmiTV is canonically 107 years old. Does that make her a :holohag:?

soap suds

Enna has an impressively strange family even for a vtuber. She talks about her mom's mental illness, does she have a "physical" sickness as well? Ah, I imagine I would be more fucked up then the streamers I watch if I was raised by their family. Pomu, I know you're here. Please move to Japan so you can meet cute girls like Petra and get sponsorships. You could even meet Pekora, your MGS sibling. :pekonod:
I think Enna's mom is more mentally fucked up than she is physically, but yeah her dynamic with her family is... well it's definitely a dynamic lol. Her relationship with her mom is weird and fluctuates between Enna loving her mom to Enna wanting nothing to do with her, which from the stories we've heard, I don't blame her. She loves her dad and little brother but her relationship with her stepmom is kind of ambiguous. I don't think Enna hates her, but I also wouldn't say she loves her.

Last edited:

DelusionTree

Early Adopter
Airi casually mentioned black company shenanigans again yesterday. She once worked from 5am Friday until 9pm Saturday. Her company had them clock out at 12am and clock back in at 1am to "reset the timer" on doubletime pay. (That sounds pretty shady to me, but Airi apparently buys it.)

:fishmandispair::fishmandispair::fishmandispair:

Some more lighthearted bits:

Airi finding a car accident in Geoguesser.

Airi talking about pants vs skirts/dresses.

Airi is getting scammed out of overtime.
I had a similar experience working for a temp agency when I was a teen, and anonymously reported them for it when they tried to steal my last check.

sbm

Early Adopter
Archivist
This assumes that VShojo has a bunch of those labor resources -- especially artists, theoretically developers, planners, potentially even music producers -- either in house on salary or on retainer in some fashion, wouldn't it?

I suppose some of that isn't out of the question but how is that sustainable, especially when Matara herself came in Day 1 saying fuck the rat race.
Just re-watched the first mention of this and the "pool of resources" was about chat mods and discord mods of all things, right before she started talk about the project.

Aka Split

IRyS's husband
Early Adopter
One is doing an endurance karaoke live. Another one is a properly recorded and edited cover.
Ok but why does the recorded and edited cover sound worse?

Top Bottom