"this is the pattern of behavior which i call 'wife-baiting' - in which i post things that make people want me as their wife"Juniper Heartstrings

Vidya Games Thread

Ensok

Early Adopter
Well, I already uninstalled League of Legends again. I feel like Riot is trying to tell me something when they make me lose 8 games in a row (which is my all time record) in less than twenty total ranked games. And nothing of value was lost.

1566935408083.png

Brosnan Pierce Brosnan

God's Strongest Smartass
Dizzy's Husband
Not to get political, but rest in piss

The Holiest Hole

Needs to stop using imgur links
guess they want to listen to the trans advocates now instead of a :WHORE!!!:

That Chuuba Enjoyer

DM me if you have a Ed, Edd n Eddy clip
Early Adopter

MrProcessor

Soldier of Godrick

That Chuuba Enjoyer

Early Adopter
12 hours or so till Baldur's Gate 3 will be fully released.

fsdfdfs.jpg

Who plans on playing it?
What race/class combo will you try out?
Will you rizz up your followers and not fail like Tenma?
Will you be a good guy or complete dick to all that walks on the plains of existence?

I might go for a serious good guy route as my first playthrough. maybe do something funny. Like a half-ling warrior or orc wizard specializing in necromancy.

Last edited:

agility_

We have some serious streams to discuss 🔨
Early Adopter
On news of OW clones hurting like OW right now...

Lol! :SelenHAHAhere:
I needed some good news, this will do nicely.

Has anyone else here played the Kiseki/Trails RPGs? I am almost caught up with the storyline that is released in the West (playing Cold Steel 4 now) and I find it admirable that it is not just a great RPG series with no modern gaming bullshit (it actually works on release, the very few MTX can be easily ignored, no Western sensibilities, a surprisingly good localization despite NISA doing half the games), but on top of all that it's taking on the ambitious task of telling an overarching narrative that spans 10+ games. Character arcs from the very first game are still relevant and addressed 8 games later. The world building puts the Souls games and Elder Scrolls games to shame too. This shit is like crack. I've already beaten Azure, CS1, CS2, and CS3 in the past 4 months.

I really wanted to get into Cold Steel, but by the 2nd game I got hardcore filtered by the anime and young characters. And I've heard nothing but good things about Trails in the Sky which I'll have to play on pc. It's just that in my case, I can only handle so much anime style crap. My guilty pleasure is already a terrible/mediocre game series, Star Ocean. the latest entry btw, a solid good game that nobody should pass up.

Last edited:

PleaseCheckYourReceipts

Considering the FTC has shown that Sony makes nearly twice the revenue from consoles sales than their 1st party exclusives, that actually shows people aren't even buying many of the Sony exclusives. From a flat rate view, the PS5 is $500 and a 1st party exclusive is usually $60. Ignoring all the other CoGS, that means it takes ~8 exclusive sales to match a console sale. Of course it's going to take a while for a console sale to be surpassed from exclusives sales but that's really bad. Keep in mind that there's something like 16 exclusives. So people are buying a playstation because everyone is going playstation and because Xbox has practically nothing in exclusives. Then people might buy 3 or so exclusives but then they'll fuck off and play all the 3rd party games like CoD, GTA, Fortnite, Apex, FIFA, Fall Guys, or even Overwatch 2.

For example, here's the most played PS5 and PS4 games of 2022:
[source]
And here's a list with only the Sony-exclusives, with the 2022 releases in bold and in italics
Ghost of Tsushima is their most popular game and the only game they had that managed to break into the top 10 most played for 2022 on their platforms. Meanwhile The Last of Us Remastered was played more than The Last of Us Part 2. Horizon Forbidden West, a game that released in 2022, only managed to reach 18th. The only sales figures we've got on TLOU2 and HFW is 10 million and 8.4 million respectively. These games likely lost money, their whole purpose was to get people onto a Playstation console. It's probably why we won't see a PC port for Ghost of Tsushima for a few more years, it's their most played game and they're using it to get people onto the Playstation platform.

FUCKING HOT WHEELS UNLEASHED WAS MORE PLAYED THAN THE LAST OF US PART TWO.
View attachment 36174

EDIT: Apparently the list didn't include it but Death Stranding was 58th
I know this is a really massively late response (I was away for a while), but there's a little bit of an error in your perspective on the economics of big, first party titles. They'll get roughly 65% of the first 2 weeks of revenue. So if you can get reasonable sales figures, you can get an idea how much money they brought in. The launch MSRP would have been closer to $70USD. Digital sales are obviously much higher revenue per unit (95%?), and a lot of the sales are now strictly digital. TLOU2 made back its money + marketing in the first 2 weeks. ( I also believe retail sales locations can't return boxed games? Though maybe I'm thinking of other products.)

However, that's a disaster for the project. Big titles should be doing 5x ROI or more. The smash hits are doing 15-50x. CD Projeck Red is still making >300 Million USD a year on the Witcher 3. That's what those long-tail products do. It's something every other entertainment industry hates about Gaming. Long tail products are still worth 10-20 USD even 5-10 years after they've been launched. Skyrim is likely still doing >250 million USD per year... STILL! (One cannot defeat The Todd.)

While not a murder of the bottom line, TLOU2 is probably the worse case scenario for Sony. It's not a failure, though it clearly will have missed most of its benchmarks. At the same time, they don't have the balls to clean house after the disaster because "it didn't go that badly" / "marketing was hurt by leaks". And the entire launch cycle did some pretty nasty PR damage to Sony in the process.
I really enjoyed farcry 5 too. I remember the controversy the game had at release with it being seen gloryifing religious extremist and far right politics. Was a weird time, cause if you played the game it doesn't really do that.

Farcry 6 I didn't care for. I know it had breaking bad dude, but the setting and everything in it didn't interest me. Think they should take a step back and go back to their roots with Farcry 2 or 3 as inspiration. Maybe try something new as well, but ubisoft hasn't been doing good with that in recent years. Think be better just to do something smaller and concise.
The lead up to Farcry 5 didn't get political. Ubisoft was really good about being very clear on that. However, Game Journalists were more than happy to extol the virtues of killing White people in rural areas and they desperately wanted that to be the key point of the game. When GG happened, it was clear too many in Gaming "Journalism" really wanted to be in politics. It was Farcry 5 that made clear the industry was staffed by raging bigots.

Ubisoft, to their credit, actually made a solid game and really dove into what Cults, apocalyptic or not, do to people. There's some pretty good YT Video Essays on the game and a lot of the complexities they were playing with. It actually might be the last Ubisoft game with deeply entwined thematic elements.

That Chuuba Enjoyer

Early Adopter
Ubisoft, to their credit, actually made a solid game and really dove into what Cults, apocalyptic or not, do to people. There's some pretty good YT Video Essays on the game and a lot of the complexities they were playing with. It actually might be the last Ubisoft game with deeply entwined thematic elements.
I agree on the journalist stuff. They really jumped to conclusion in things and didn't play the game to realize their view of the game was wrong.

Farcry 5 I really enjoyed. It had some gameplay issues, with kind of becoming too powerful if you know the quirks of the AI. However, I really liked the characters in it. Honestly John Seed is one of my favorite villain's in the series. His eulogies for each sibling after you defeat them, is touching and kind of humanizes the villian in the story.

Really good acting and love that they showed real ugly crying with him slurring words, snot, and really broken from it all.

Also love how in a way, your character can be seen as the horseman of the apocalypse. With your actions throughout the game causing the nuclear apocalypse. Ending sequence was good too and the quick ending at start too. when you can just walk out the chapel and not start the inevitable nuclear holocaust. Which probably can be seen as the good ending, cause you wouldn't play into John Seeds hands then.

Last edited:

PleaseCheckYourReceipts

I agree on the journalist stuff. They really jumped to conclusion in things and didn't play the game to realize their view of the game was wrong.

Farcry 5 I really enjoyed. It had some gameplay issues, with kind of becoming too powerful if you know the quirks of the AI. However, I really liked the characters in it. Honestly John Seed is one of my favorite villain's in the series. His eulogies for each sibling after you defeat them, is touching and kind of humanizes the villian in the story.

Really good acting and love that they showed real ugly crying with him slurring words, snot, and really broken from it all.

Also love how in a way, your character can be seen as the horseman of the apocalypse. With your actions throughout the game causing the nuclear apocalypse. Ending sequence was good too and the quick ending at start too. when you can just walk out the chapel and not start the inevitable apocalypse. Which probably can be seen as the good ending, cause you wouldn't play into John Seeds hands then.

Ubisoft unironically landed on a great setup for a Farcry game. There actually are cults around that are about as batty as the ones in 5 here, and upper Rockies is a great setting for the type of game play Farcry lends itself to. (Just a bit unfortunate about the whole murderously bigoted Game Journalists.) Ubisoft also landed, sort of by accident with FC3, on supremely charismatic lead Villains. It makes the marketing work while also making everything fairly memorable.

There's also a funny bit where, because it's still Ubisoft and their weirdly French aversion to Good Guys, in FC3 and beyond, you're actually playing the main villain. They've taken the whole fact Spec Ops: The Line happened (actually not a good game but an extremely well presented story) and have been running with that approach ever since. Thus, FC5 actually ends on a question of who is actually the bad guy.

Abomination

The abominable amalgamation known as "chyaaat!"
I really wanted to get into Cold Steel, but by the 2nd game I got hardcore filtered by the anime and young characters. And I've heard nothing but good things about Trails in the Sky which I'll have to play on pc. It's just that in my case, I can only handle so much anime style crap. My guilty pleasure is already a terrible/mediocre game series, Star Ocean. the latest entry btw, a solid good game that nobody should pass up.
The Cold Steel arc is notorious for this. I usually have a fairly high tolerance for anime style crap, possibly because I don't actually watch anime, and Cold Steel definitely grated some nerves at times. While I still like them, CS 1 and 2 are the worst in the series for me. Although 3 and 4 aren't any better in the anime style aspect, and they can arguably be worse for that. The Sky trilogy is definitely good, as is the Crossbell arc. They still have their anime feels to them, but definitely not as bad as Cold Steel.

I still need to catch up on the Star Ocean series. Only played the first two games.

agility_

We have some serious streams to discuss 🔨
Early Adopter
Star Ocean 3 aka Till the end of Time, man; I preordered that game thinking it would be the Xenogears of its time. It has the jankiest, most broken crafting system but the combat is so hypnotically addicting. Storywise,
well the first 2/3 is a straightlaced affair and fetchquest, and then you cross a gate and find out that your whole universe is indeed a simulation. A live videogame, so all the crap you went through as Claude in SO2 or your adventures in First Departure? all of it is a game. The real world is just loaded with jaded people who only care about themselves blabla muh social commentary on Japanese society blabla
Honestly the breaking point of the series for a lot of fans and I do not blame them. But the game was fun to play so I love it to this day.
Star Ocean 4 aka The Last Hope first came out on 360 and while pretty, still had plenty of stuff that rubbed me off like english-only voice acting and a ton of cutscenes. It then came out on PS3 as the international version, which is what you should find and play. This is also the last straw with Motoi Sakuraba and his endlessly silly hammond-organ fiddling

Star Ocean 5 aka Integrity and something or other... is a game. It sure is the jrpg of all time but even as a fan of the series I cannot let up on the derpiness of the characters, the cliche plot or the minimal production values (at parts the graphics look on par with a phone adventure). I played it for the crafting and upgraded combat engine but many people just didn't like it being centered around yet another medieval style planet (just like First Departure)
I'm still playing through SO6 aka Divine Force but so far I have been pleasantly surprised. It's probably also the last time I play a SO game on console as whatever comes after this title will end up on both the sequel to nintendo's vasectomy machine and steam, doubtful I'll buy a ps5 at this point. Unless sony unfucks themselves somehow but I've given up.

Punished Anime Discusser

Early Adopter
Ubisoft unironically landed on a great setup for a Farcry game. There actually are cults around that are about as batty as the ones in 5 here, and upper Rockies is a great setting for the type of game play Farcry lends itself to. (Just a bit unfortunate about the whole murderously bigoted Game Journalists.) Ubisoft also landed, sort of by accident with FC3, on supremely charismatic lead Villains. It makes the marketing work while also making everything fairly memorable.

There's also a funny bit where, because it's still Ubisoft and their weirdly French aversion to Good Guys, in FC3 and beyond, you're actually playing the main villain. They've taken the whole fact Spec Ops: The Line happened (actually not a good game but an extremely well presented story) and have been running with that approach ever since. Thus, FC5 actually ends on a question of who is actually the bad guy.
None of the Far Cry games really have a clear cut good or bad guy, save for the first, kinda, mostly because the villain of 1 is a literal evil scientist. Far Cry 2 doesn't have a morally good character in the whole fucking game. Three has a bunch of varying degrees of evil retard, with you being king retard in the middle, while Jason's story arc is terribly written. Far Cry 4 had a three way between commies, crackhead commies, and an evil dictator who is somehow the best outcome for the country. Five is just crazy cultoids vs feds, and the cultoids were objectively right in the end even if they did terrible shit to the people.

Zapan1984

View attachment 39176

Who plans on playing it?
Will you be a good guy or complete dick to all that walks on the plains of existence?

I might go for a serious good guy route as my first playthrough. maybe do something funny. Like a half-ling warrior or orc wizard specializing in necromancy.
I will go with Spore Druid as i wasnt aware that exists, havent played DnD in many years.
Either as Drow, Tiefling or Githyanki and for the first round serious, too

PemAloeKenzoku

View attachment 39176

Who plans on playing it?

Probably going to go Warlock/Bard Tiefling for a first run then pick random options in coop with friends

Todd's Strongest Howard

Do not trust the sticker farmer.
Early Adopter
Who plans on playing it?

War Cleric of Ilmater if I can. No race decided yet but something decidedly non-human. If any of the females are interesting enough I might see about it but it's not going to be a focus. Going to try to play as neutral good as I can. All of this subjected to change if I see a particular direction the story might be going and a Cleric may be at odds. Depending on all what's available for classes and races, if Astral Path Monk is in that's a major contender for PC choice, making my current Cleric/Monk character for a campaign I'm playing in.

MrProcessor

Soldier of Godrick

One of my favorite things in 4 & 5 are the "Do Nothing" endings, where if you don't initiate the whole game by doing something, it just has a brief sequence for an ending where you and the main antagonist don't end up going to war.

God's Strongest Dragoon

List of Classes/Sub-Classes

Probably going lock, might multi-class to cleric after I get lvl 3 for the Pact Boon in lock (Pact of the Blade makes your melee attacks scale with Charisma instead of Strength) so I can go big Battle Caster. Cleric also gets access to their Sub-Class at lvl 1 and that enables you to go War Cleric for instant Heavy Armor proficiency.

Either that or I'll go "I don't give a fuck" Human Male Fighter named John Smith.

Last edited:

That Chuuba Enjoyer

Early Adopter
List of Classes/Sub-Classes
Probably going lock, might multi-class to cleric after I get lvl 3 for the Pact Boon in lock (Pact of the Blade makes your melee attacks scale with Charisma instead of Strength) so I can go big Battle Caster. Cleric also gets access to their Sub-Class at lvl 1 and that enables you to go War Cleric for instant Heavy Armor proficiency.

Either that or I'll go "I don't give a fuck" Human Male Fighter named John Smith.
Wait, I thought you were taking a month off after Noland ban?

Also yeah that sounds like a cool class combo and plan! I'm kind of eager to see how act 2 is. Cause I know act 3 is probably going to be smaller than the first two.

Abomination

The abominable amalgamation known as "chyaaat!"
Definitely starting off with Warlock. It's usually my go-to with 5e, and since they added Archfey, my favorite for a Warlock, I'm really looking forward to seeing how that plays out.

Top Bottom