"I want a high quality working replica of a Genoese mercenary's crossbow so bad"Noir Vesper

Nijisanji L Collection

Awoogers

basic ass man who loves the british funny woman

Seth

Fubuki's Best Friendo
I mean, maybe?? I think pointing at Myth is missing the actual target, though; again, I feel like Kiryu Coco opening successful & popular corpo vtubing up to EOP viewers did way more for the western scene than Myth debuting. I'd even go so far as to say that giving the credit for the rise of western vtubing to Myth instead of Kiryu Coco is putting the cart before the horse. Or the dragon, whatever.
Coco popularized vtubers in the west. Myth popularized western vtubers. Those are 2 different things.

Malchior

I agree, but in the timeline we inhabit it's Hololive that pulls the trigger first and it's been pretty heavily implied by everyone involved that Cover only felt pressured to do so by the strong overseas response to Coco's meme reviews - including a super active Reddit community.

I would disagree with this one, who made the overseas more "popular" was the first clipers that added translations to any JP vtuber, I don't want to say Coco didn't helped, but she by far wasn't the main reason... Cover saw a untapped market with people dedicated to watch even with the language barrier, and english being the "international language" (fuck Esperanto btw) that was just a calculated risk, you can see that even if all Myth girls weren't that popular, all of them had a better grasp than any of the JP counterparts of the time, imagine if the myth girls were as skillful as Kanata on debut with her power points....

Sankisei

HOLOLIVE SAIKYO
I agree, but in the timeline we inhabit it's Hololive that pulls the trigger first and it's been pretty heavily implied by everyone involved that Cover only felt pressured to do so by the strong overseas response to Coco's meme reviews - including a super active Reddit community. If Nijisanji had debuted LazuLight instead of NijiIN in 2006, there's every chance that the first gen of NA Holo fans jump ship and completely change the course of history.

I mean, maybe?? I think pointing at Myth is missing the actual target, though; again, I feel like Kiryu Coco opening successful & popular corpo vtubing up to EOP viewers did way more for the western scene than Myth debuting. I'd even go so far as to say that giving the credit for the rise of western vtubing to Myth instead of Kiryu Coco is putting the cart before the horse. Or the dragon, whatever.
Coco was popular among already Vtuber fans
Korone and other JP vtubers were the introduction in the west to people outside
Most of my normie friends got into Vtubers just because of Rushia,Miko and others saying the N-word not a Coco meme review

MerelyTourist

jkterjter jkterjtier
LM's Ladyboy
i refuse to acknowledge those faggots in any way whatsoever
I share the sentiment, but their historical significance is undeniable. They are washed out now, but their legacy lives on. "NIjisister" already becoming an idiom, i think the word will stick for a while even after nijisanji itself disappear.

Awoogers

Coco was popular among already Vtuber fans
Korone and other JP vtubers were the introduction in the west to people outside
Most of my normie friends got into Vtubers just because of Rushia,Miko and others saying the N-word not a Coco meme review

yup this is what im talking about

people underestimate the impact that n-word and GTA had on this sphere

tgmslc

Coco's impact on the West is massively overstated. Normies like Sodapoppin were watching Korone and Miko clips before Myth came around, not Coco. Coco was only enjoyed by people already in the community. Kizuna Ai first broke into the Western normie-sphere, then Korone and Miko paved the way to actually legitimize VTubers as funny anime girls that streamed, and then Myth exploded late that same year.
Do we have any clue of the conversion rate from ppl who watched western streamers react to JP clips to actual vtuber stream watchers? Genuinely asking, not trying to be sarcastic for once. If it's true, I'd be willing to retract some of the shit I've said.

Coco popularized vtubers in the west. Myth popularized western vtubers. Those are 2 different things.
I dunno, man, I feel like "East vs West" isn't even the most useful dichotomy of this industry when "Youtube vs Twitch" seems to define the two halves of the community a lot more effectively. Like, Twitch side has a lot more random collabing & react content & variety streams & much longer streams, where Youtube is all single-game streams & has more of a focus on music/mv production as well.

Awoogers

Do we have any clue of the conversion rate from ppl who watched western streamers react to JP clips to actual vtuber stream watchers? Genuinely asking, not trying to be sarcastic for once. If it's true, I'd be willing to retract some of the shit I've said.

I dunno, man, I feel like "East vs West" isn't even the most useful dichotomy of this industry when "Youtube vs Twitch" seems to define the two halves of the community a lot more effectively. Like, Twitch side has a lot more random collabing & react content & variety streams & much longer streams, where Youtube is all single-game streams & has more of a focus on music/mv production as well.
as i remember old twitch vtubers back then actually played games or had gimmicks and such(raven manor,yui) before iron lung popularized react content due to her sheer subathons

El Rrata

Gringo Tolerable
Early Adopter
I mean, you'll never find any hard numbers for any of this shit. Most will be anecdotal. But Korone had an emote that basically every streamer adjacent to Soda had enabled for use with third-party emote addons (which everyone uses). I never even heard of Coco before I got into holo. Soda is also the person who unleashed the plague that is Amogus into the world 3 years after the game came out, for more context on his influence.

yup this is what im talking about

people underestimate the impact that n-word and GTA had on this sphere
And Coco never said it. Checkmate,:nehgah:

Awoogers

I mean, you'll never find any hard numbers for any of this shit. Most will be anecdotal. But Korone had an emote that basically every streamer adjacent to Soda had enabled for use with third-party emote addons (which everyone uses). I never even heard of Coco before I got into holo. Soda is also the person who unleashed the plague that is Amogus into the world 3 years after the game came out, for more context on his influence.

And Coco never said it. Checkmate,:nehgah:
yeah as much as she was my oshi it would have been a lot more cooler if she dropped a slur back then

El Rrata

Gringo Tolerable
Early Adopter
yeah as much as she was my oshi it would have been a lot more cooler if she dropped a slur back then
If it makes you feel better, she is from Atlanta, so I bet she has dropped plenty in her younger years.

Awoogers

If it makes you feel better, she is from Atlanta, so I bet she has dropped plenty in her younger years.
like a true american

Security

irc.rizon.net #TheVirtualAsylum
I can only give my tale:

Saw Kizuna Ai, thought that was neat tech, didn't pay much attention. Years later, saw some Miko clips in 2019 (not sure when). Her singing along to some music while playing Ark; her making music in Ark while singing We Will Rock You in her own special way; and of course, Nigga~. Didn't actually start to look more heavily into them until I watched some Hamburgaga videos of Fubuki. Eventually the Aqua one pushed me over to investigate more. From there, around March/April, I looked into clips and streams from Fubuki, Aqua, Marine, Aki, Flare, and Korone. Doggo was the one that sucked me in, but wasn't enough to get me to oshi to the point where I'm watching every stream I could - that would be Coco, who got me interested in the whole connected scene (which was just Hololive in my eyes at the time).

So I'm incredibly biased, but Coco may indeed be the single most important person when it comes to the popularization of vtubers in the West - and for that, I should hate her, but she still holds a place in my heart.

I think she was the great bridge. Vtubers may eventually have grown this large in the West, and they would've grown large in Japan, but without the US, I don't think we'd see the level of increase so fast in Japan, and without Coco, the US wouldn't have given vtubers the attention it did.

Aquatic Novellite

Freshwater Shiorin
Early Adopter
I agree, but in the timeline we inhabit it's Hololive that pulls the trigger first and it's been pretty heavily implied by everyone involved that Cover only felt pressured to do so by the strong overseas response to Coco's meme reviews - including a super active Reddit community.
Not for the first time, no.

Coco's first meme review being on July 24, 2020 aside (EN debuted exactly seven weeks later), EN auditions started in April 2020, four months after Coco's debut. Keep in mind, that's when the auditions were announced, the internal process to get to that point must've started earlier.

Whatever convinced Cover to launch EN, Coco wasn't it.

Neither was it Korone, whose meme playthroughs of Doom and Banjo Kazooie also postdate the EN auditions. The only meme moment of significance that predates them is indeed Miko demonstrating her allegiance to Jefferson Davis' dream on stream.

I'm afraid we must give Cover some credit. It planned for EN before the viability of the EN market was established. It didn't accidentally stumble into a niche it was barely aware existed, it consciously created this niche. EN had been 5+ months in the making. That Korone's playthroughs and Coco's meme review blew up during this timeframe was certainly beneficial for Myth' eventual appearance, but the decision to launch Myth was made first. It was only after the auditions that exposure hit critical mass.

Yagoo mentioned a little bit ago that Cover needs to look overseas to expand, as the Japanese market provides only limited means to grow. I strongly suspect that he already believed this in 2020.

El Rrata

Gringo Tolerable
Early Adopter
To stay on topic, I think we can all agree that Nijisanji had absolutely nothing to do with VTuber popularity in the West.

Sorry, SEASisters, you are not Western. You don't count towards that.
:BijouBijou:

Superduper Samurai

Early Adopter
To stay on topic, I think we can all agree that Nijisanji had absolutely nothing to do with VTuber popularity in the West.

Sorry, SEASisters, you are not Western. You don't count towards that.
:BijouBijou:
I think it benefited from the overall vtuber boom but it was always from people who already watched Niji and decided to try their hand at shilling their oshi
And then their proper EN gen dropped and alot of general interest in some of the more obscure NijiJPs evaporated alongside their retarded clipping guidelines
Always interesting to see how Holo is very much into mixing their language gens and Niji just makes them each use their own fountain

Niji opening a fucking IN branch and then attempting to hastily rebrand it into EN is probably one of the funniest fumbles in vtubing and an indicator of how retarded as a company niji was before any of its major yabs started rolling

Nenélove

Menace of the Asylum
Early Adopter
Nene's Pet Latinx
Latinx/Latine
I agree, but in the timeline we inhabit it's Hololive that pulls the trigger first and it's been pretty heavily implied by everyone involved that Cover only felt pressured to do so by the strong overseas response to Coco's meme reviews - including a super active Reddit community. If Nijisanji had debuted LazuLight instead of NijiIN in 2006, there's every chance that the first gen of NA Holo fans jump ship and completely change the course of history.

There are many factors to it:
  • Clippers
  • Myth
  • Coco
  • COVID
  • Memes
  • Luck
There's no "single or most important cause" for the boom, it was magical moment when the stars aligned and vtubing grew tenfold. We also have to take into account that HoloEN auditions were opened in april shortly after they debuted the IDs and CNs which means the company very likely already had global expansion in the mind before coco debuted, the tale of her inspiring management to give it a try is an embellishment.
Fair point too. I think there is at least handful of key people who facilitated vtubing boom of 2020. And there are other historically important people, i.e. Doki's importance in no way is lesser than Coco's. And there are smaller people could turn out to be way more important than you'd assume, like recent Shondo case. Then we have to begrudgingly include Luxiem in this VIP list too.
Doki wasn't really known before she joined Niji, at least I had never fucking heard of her.

Shondo only got popular in like the last 3 years, long after the boom was over.

Luxiem also got popular after the boom and they mostly targeted a completely different market of chink fujos that have nothing to do with the west, Niji as a whole arrived late to the party because they insisted in trying to one-up Holo's announcement of an EN gen with the half-assed rebranding of their shitty IN gen instead of actually putting in the effort to race Holo to the punch.

Superduper Samurai

Early Adopter
Fair point too. I think there is at least handful of key people who facilitated vtubing boom of 2020. And there are other historically important people, i.e. Doki's importance in no way is lesser than Coco's. And there are smaller people could turn out to be way more important than you'd assume, like recent Shondo case. Then we have to begrudgingly include Luxiem in this VIP list too.
Doki was a a nobody who got big after she hit it in Niji, otherwise she had a small but dedicated fanbase, she has nothing to do with 2020's boom or status
and Luxiem notably debuted after HoloID, EN1, ID2, EN2, Niji's ID, Ethyria, Obsidya and Lazulight, indies like Tsunderia, Cyberlive, Phase Connect, MyHolo, etc
so they have nothing from the early boom besides capitalizing on the female crowd

On the topic of dokibird, the vtuber wiki allegedly states she recieved 39ccv on debut in 2020 and 298ccv in her graduation stream in 2021

Last edited:

Nenélove

Menace of the Asylum
Early Adopter
Nene's Pet Latinx
Latinx/Latine
ORACLE.png

I was reading that old ass auditions announcement and I found a time traveler in the replies... Bro fuckin' knew
of delphi.png

Anotha one
holy guacamole.png

Is that...? KEK

Smelliest007

Vtubing was popularized in the west by me taking a shit on a hot summer Wednesday.

Top Bottom