"Second speech pathology appointment done and I am exhausted from swallowing animal crackers; They gamified swallowing with this device that sticks to your neck and I failed lmao"Fujikura Uruka

Minato Aqua Graduation Doomposting Thread

Last Hologra New

TKN_Lurker

Retired Lurker
Aqua's final hologra appearance.

A good send off and farewell to her years of contribution to Hololive as a whole.

Ateshi vs Atishi New

Willemshaven

Outlasted the Chinese Community Sinicization Group
True & Honest Holofan
The curious case of Ateshi and Atishi

Have you noticed that more recent translated clips use 'Atishi' in place of the more familiar 'Ateshi'? Until this post, this very forum has only used 'ateshi' with zero results for 'atishi'.

I started to notice that since this translated clip at the beginning of the year. I didn't bring it up at the time as I was too shy to ask questions.

This translator (miuki) has a newer clip that also uses Atishi.

With Aqua's announcement of her departure, I decided that now was the time to dig into this.
Ateshi still appears in recent translated clips like this one. In fact, searching for 'ateshi' on YouTube will yield Aqua clips by default.

(Yura has been using 'Ateshi' consistently.)

Interestingly, among the top search results I found this translated animated clip from 2022 that uses Atishi.

Still, 'Ateshi' is much more common than 'Atishi' by title and/or thumbnail alone. Even the Chinese clippers use it.

You have to append 'aqua' to 'atishi' in YouTube search to actually get Aqua clips. Even then, examples of it in the title mostly come from this single Aqua clipper (Hololive are Idols, aka Onion Dealer, aka Sanest Tamanegi), who has consistently stuck to it throughout the years while pretty much everyone else (until recently) was using Ateshi.

This translated clip from 2021 has the explanation of where 'Ateshi' came from. It was something that was picked up by Aqua from Shiina of Nijisanji.

(Suisei teases Aqua by saying 'Ateshi', Aqua reveals its origin)

A viewer in the comments asked what 'Ateshi' means and the clipper pinned it along with an answer.
holoyume - ホロ夢 said:
____
In Japanese, "watashi" means I/me; then "atashi" is the feminine version of it, then "ateshi/atishi" (both ways are as near as it gets to the Japanese あてぃし) is an even cuter version of "atashi" (it's made up, not standard Japanese so someone that isn't in the rabbit hole wouldn't understand it) that Aqua uses a lot when talking, it's her cute way of referring to herself; though turns out it wasn't made by her.For me this is more interesting than funny, knowing the origin of this expression that Aqua uses so much. Well, it's more of a way of speaking/cute accent than a expression by itself. But maybe you can say Suisei's imitation is funny lol
The clipper said that "ateshi" and "atishi" can be used pretty much interchangeably as a way to translate the original Japanese "あてぃし". Interestingly, the same clipper would use Atishi instead a few months after the clip above.

(Kanata's PERFECT IMPERSONATION of AQUA!! Atishi no koto suki sugi!?)

Searching for "あてぃし" on YouTube does in fact yield results of Japanese clips about Aqua. It's also used in some of the stream/video titles by Aqua herself.

I later searched for 'aqua shiina atishi' and found this clip from 2020 that uses 'Atishi', which was the oldest video I could find that uses any form of it.

(The clip is Aqua explaining that she picked up 'Atishi' from Shiina, and in turn Shion picking it up from Aqua.)

I headed to the Hololive Fan Server on Discord, which has a translator chat where I saw lyger (still) hanging out. There must've been some debate of translating it the "right" way.
I first found this post with a screenshot from MV of PANIGHT by NEGI☆U (Aqua, Nene, and Subaru) where 'あてぃし' is romanized as 'Atishi', though the acutal translation changes it to just 'Aqua'.

I later found a post by Noodlebrain, whose translations I used before, where he thinks that 'Atishi' is the accurate romanization.

Finally a search result from the translator chat. Unfortunately, it didn't give me more material to work with.

I then tried out a dedicated Rōmaji converter. Tying in 'atishi' gives 'あてぃし' in Hiragana characters. But typing in 'ateshi' gives 'あてし' instead, which certainly isn't being used on the JP side.

Despite all that, Ateshi won and is preferred in general. Search results for 'Ateshi' outnumbers 'Atishi' by 10 to 1. Even the emotes and stickers use it.

That leaves me with the question on why 'Ateshi' became the default "translation" of あてぃし. I tried putting 'あてぃし' into Google Translate, Bing Translator, and DeepL, but they don't produce 'ateshi'. Only Bing Translate got close to it.

The first usage of 'ateshi' in the server is from January 2020, predating the first usage of 'atishi' by three months. I then looked through the oldest clips with Aqua through Holodex. I found this clip from January 4th, 2020 with over 100k views that uses 'ateshi'. Bingo.

The JP clip of the same moment has 'ateshi' written down as 'あてぃし'.

Miko's pronunciation of あてぃし does sound like 'ateshi', compared to how Aqua pronunciation sounds like 'atishi'. But then I saw this compilation of Aqua saying it a bunch of times and there's many instances where she sounds like she's saying 'ateshi'.

No wonder that attempts to translate an untranslatable term (that the official translators didn't even bother with) just boiled down to writing down in English what's being pronounced. The end result being somewhat akin to a 'Yanny or Laurel' thing.

I decided to look up 'あてぃし' and 'あてし' in /jp/ and /vt/ archives. Those seem to be the only places left to have at least someone make a big deal about it.
Searching through the /vt/ archives did lead me to this thread from 2023 where the OP noticed the 'Ateshi' instead of 'Atishi' thing in translated clips. This one post pointed out that putting in 'あてぃし' in Bing Translator would have it translated as 'ateshi', at the time.

In conclusion, 'Atishi' is the accurate romanization of 'あてぃし'. But 'Ateshi' won out due to a saturation of usage in popular clips and by the big clippers, with support from Bing Translator producing 'ateshi' when translating 'あてぃし', as well as how the pronunciation of of 'あてぃし' could sound to people.

This has been my 445th post on this forum, so it just had to be an effortpost dedicated to Aqua. This was quite a fun process to dig into my curiosity. I welcome any input on this. Especially from those more knowledgeable than me.
[Link]

lOnSlAuGhTl

with her last stream around the corner... can any of you recommend a good live TL extension? only one i found only translates VODs and the translation is meh

Latte'Ninba

God is dead. You aren't. Keep running.
Early Adopter
I'm honestly not sure how she did this unless she did meth like the Wehrmacht in 1940.
She knows some people...

In all seriousness it's been a hell of a marathon, though admittedly I'm only catching pieces of it here and there. From being mia, to the comeback streak, to the announcement into now being constantly busy between live streams, recording stuff and collabing. She's definitely doing a full on sprint to the finish. While it's assuredly a crapton of work, I imagine that with it being the last of Aqua after 6 years she would probably feel worse if she left and felt like something was still undone. If there is a plus side to the end it will be that once she's finished this she can take a break.
Presuming of course she doesn't dive headfirst into a new journey. I don't think it sounds like she's done online entirely at all, but after doing all this a break certainly wouldn't hurt.

with her last stream around the corner... can any of you recommend a good live TL extension? only one i found only translates VODs and the translation is meh
Only thing I know of offhand is LiveTL, but that doesn't translate anything, it just grabs stuff from... I guess well known or approved translators in chat (or maybe it's based on typing something in a specific way I never really looked into it.) It then filters it out into its own chatbox. But because of that it's also dependant on said translators being there. So a lot of non-event streams from JP mems don't get much support unless they have a specific person or two who takes on the job.
Like Sora for example I think has a guy who does it for basically every stream. Meanwhile Mio had one for the live she just did but not in most general streams.

I rather imagine something like Aqua's graduation will have people there to do it though so it would probably work fine at least for that.

Poyoyo & Jill

KAWAYO
I think you would have to rely on TL from translators in the chat using Holodex for this one

bothyourhouses

The curious case of Ateshi and Atishi

Have you noticed that more recent translated clips use 'Atishi' in place of the more familiar 'Ateshi'? Until this post, this very forum has only used 'ateshi' with zero results for 'atishi'.

I started to notice that since this translated clip at the beginning of the year. I didn't bring it up at the time as I was too shy to ask questions.

This translator (miuki) has a newer clip that also uses Atishi.

With Aqua's announcement of her departure, I decided that now was the time to dig into this.
Ateshi still appears in recent translated clips like this one. In fact, searching for 'ateshi' on YouTube will yield Aqua clips by default.

(Yura has been using 'Ateshi' consistently.)

Interestingly, among the top search results I found this translated animated clip from 2022 that uses Atishi.

Still, 'Ateshi' is much more common than 'Atishi' by title and/or thumbnail alone. Even the Chinese clippers use it.

You have to append 'aqua' to 'atishi' in YouTube search to actually get Aqua clips. Even then, examples of it in the title mostly come from this single Aqua clipper (Hololive are Idols, aka Onion Dealer, aka Sanest Tamanegi), who has consistently stuck to it throughout the years while pretty much everyone else (until recently) was using Ateshi.

This translated clip from 2021 has the explanation of where 'Ateshi' came from. It was something that was picked up by Aqua from Shiina of Nijisanji.

(Suisei teases Aqua by saying 'Ateshi', Aqua reveals its origin)

A viewer in the comments asked what 'Ateshi' means and the clipper pinned it along with an answer.

The clipper said that "ateshi" and "atishi" can be used pretty much interchangeably as a way to translate the original Japanese "あてぃし". Interestingly, the same clipper would use Atishi instead a few months after the clip above.

(Kanata's PERFECT IMPERSONATION of AQUA!! Atishi no koto suki sugi!?)

Searching for "あてぃし" on YouTube does in fact yield results of Japanese clips about Aqua. It's also used in some of the stream/video titles by Aqua herself.

I later searched for 'aqua shiina atishi' and found this clip from 2020 that uses 'Atishi', which was the oldest video I could find that uses any form of it.

(The clip is Aqua explaining that she picked up 'Atishi' from Shiina, and in turn Shion picking it up from Aqua.)

I headed to the Hololive Fan Server on Discord, which has a translator chat where I saw lyger (still) hanging out. There must've been some debate of translating it the "right" way.
I first found this post with a screenshot from MV of PANIGHT by NEGI☆U (Aqua, Nene, and Subaru) where 'あてぃし' is romanized as 'Atishi', though the acutal translation changes it to just 'Aqua'.

I later found a post by Noodlebrain, whose translations I used before, where he thinks that 'Atishi' is the accurate romanization.

Finally a search result from the translator chat. Unfortunately, it didn't give me more material to work with.

I then tried out a dedicated Rōmaji converter. Tying in 'atishi' gives 'あてぃし' in Hiragana characters. But typing in 'ateshi' gives 'あてし' instead, which certainly isn't being used on the JP side.

Despite all that, Ateshi won and is preferred in general. Search results for 'Ateshi' outnumbers 'Atishi' by 10 to 1. Even the emotes and stickers use it.

That leaves me with the question on why 'Ateshi' became the default "translation" of あてぃし. I tried putting 'あてぃし' into Google Translate, Bing Translator, and DeepL, but they don't produce 'ateshi'. Only Bing Translate got close to it.

The first usage of 'ateshi' in the server is from January 2020, predating the first usage of 'atishi' by three months. I then looked through the oldest clips with Aqua through Holodex. I found this clip from January 4th, 2020 with over 100k views that uses 'ateshi'. Bingo.

The JP clip of the same moment has 'ateshi' written down as 'あてぃし'.

Miko's pronunciation of あてぃし does sound like 'ateshi', compared to how Aqua pronunciation sounds like 'atishi'. But then I saw this compilation of Aqua saying it a bunch of times and there's many instances where she sounds like she's saying 'ateshi'.

No wonder that attempts to translate an untranslatable term (that the official translators didn't even bother with) just boiled down to writing down in English what's being pronounced. The end result being somewhat akin to a 'Yanny or Laurel' thing.

I decided to look up 'あてぃし' and 'あてし' in /jp/ and /vt/ archives. Those seem to be the only places left to have at least someone make a big deal about it.
Searching through the /vt/ archives did lead me to this thread from 2023 where the OP noticed the 'Ateshi' instead of 'Atishi' thing in translated clips. This one post pointed out that putting in 'あてぃし' in Bing Translator would have it translated as 'ateshi', at the time.

In conclusion, 'Atishi' is the accurate romanization of 'あてぃし'. But 'Ateshi' won out due to a saturation of usage in popular clips and by the big clippers, with support from Bing Translator producing 'ateshi' when translating 'あてぃし', as well as how the pronunciation of of 'あてぃし' could sound to people.

This has been my 445th post on this forum, so it just had to be an effortpost dedicated to Aqua. This was quite a fun process to dig into my curiosity. I welcome any input on this. Especially from those more knowledgeable than me.
[Link]

Well obviously if it really is あてぃし then that's atishi. But given that it's a made up cutesey word, why are we so confident that it's あてぃし and not あてし? If she sounds like she's saying て/te then it should be written like that and if it sounds like she's saying てぃ/ti then it should be written like that.

The only other thing I can think of is if people don't want to write atishi in case it gets read as あちし, which more official romanisation systems do, since てぃ is a kind of unofficial sound that doesn't exist in proper Japanese. And obviously she's not saying ち.

Nigel Nigerman

Once ya go Nigga, you'll never get bigga.
Holofans Orchestra are going to send off Minato Aqua with a bang by doing an orchestral version of her popular song "Aqua Iro Palette". Get ready to cry niggas, this one is going to be emotional AF.

2Q==.jpg:hololove:

Abomination

The abominable amalgamation known as "chyaaat!"
Very nice Startend art.

GV1r-Qdhb-QAAy4b-K.jpg

Willemshaven

True & Honest Holofan

La+ de Central Norte

General of the second army commanded by Gozaru

My favorite Aqua song got an MV :BijouBijou:
But its a Short Version so not the full Song

Shuba Saber

MPP
Early Adopter
Aqua, Towa and Suisei will be doing one more Startend stream on Towa's channel in a few hours:

After that, they're gonna release another cover:

I wonder if Suisei is doing the collab from America or if she already flew back to Japan for this. Major respect if she did, she'll be jetlagged and feeling miserable.

And as of the Valorant event earlier today, all of Gen 2 has had a chance to collab with Aqua except Subaru :depressedtako:I really hope something happens tomorrow.

lOnSlAuGhTl

I think you would have to rely on TL from translators in the chat using Holodex for this one
yeah i got that too since i started watching kson.
if someones interested im currently looking into an extension called "language reactor"
only problem is it requires a transcript of the vod to translate it and it confuses stuff like him, he and I. but other then that its a good extension that doesnt require someone in chat to translate

Aquatic Novellite

Freshwater Shiorin
Early Adopter

Don't cry because it's ending, smile because it happened.

Then cry because it's ending.

TKN_Lurker

Retired Lurker
Reminder for everyone that Aqua's last Minecraft stream will be happening today an hour from now.

Edit: Sorry wrong stream name fixed now

Last edited:

Shuba Saber

MPP
Early Adopter
Reminder for everyone that Aqua's last chatting stream will be happening today an hour from now.

This is for her Minecraft stream. She'll be writing goodbye letters to the Holo girls.

Her last chatting stream will be a few hours after that:

She also just premiered another cover:

The Startend stream was pretty sweet. Just a lot of wholesome and funny moments. Towa was about to cry a few times but held it back cause Aqua was making fun of her. Suisei confirmed that she did fly back to Japan for this collab and almost didn't make it, but her manager pulled through. They answered a bunch of questions, like what were their first/current impressions of each other and how Towa/Suisei felt when they found out about Aqua's decision. Towa tried to stop her at first while Suisei wanted to make sure she had a clear plan afterwards.

Even though the APEX tournament was insanely stressful for all of them, Towa said that getting the group together was a dream come true. If you remember, the reason she applied to Holo in the first place was to make friends and play in tournaments with them. While we won't see them on stream anymore, Startend won't end until they literally die. Aqua said that Startend was basically a changing point in her life and that she's grateful for it. It represents a bright future for her as she keeps going.

There's about 24 hours left. I hope the onion is proud of herself for these last few weeks. Most other people would have definitely broken down by now. It's depressing that there wasn't one more on-stream conversation between her and Subaru, but hopefully Gen 2 shows up in the graduation live.

Willemshaven

True & Honest Holofan

Shuba Saber

MPP
Early Adopter
She made an entire underground section for these letters, pre-wrote the EN/ID ones and translated them with DeepL. From Justice, she talked about Raora's art, Ceci having fun with Sekiro, Gigi's energy and Liz's singing. She even had the mind to write separate letters for Fuwawa and Mococo. Even if they never got to talk, she was definitely keeping an eye on them.
:pomuLove:

Edit: She only got up to Council due to being busy with a million things, so she's writing Myth's now.

Last edited:

Abomination

Saw this pop up in my feed coming out in about 45 minutes:

There really is no resting for her until the end...which is just about here.

Tyrvalla

Early Adopter

Pekora late on the stream probably finishing up the thing that she wants to show to Aqua one last time.

Damn this is a lot of streams collabs and releases for Aqua. It would hurt seeing her interact with the other gen 2 on the last stream.

1724775294641.png

Edit: damn man, they are crying.
:gunpeko:

Last edited:

Abomination

She keeps pushing the chatting stream because of Minecraft, lol. Currently hanging out and having fun with Pekora. Of course, I can't understand what they're saying, but lots of excitement and laughs happening.

You love to see it.

Edit: Peko and Aqua tears. I'm at work, man. This is hard....

Last edited:
Top Bottom