"Council forever... at the bottom of the ocean"Magni Dezmond

Vidya Games Thread

Saturnus

haha it's unou
I don't think we'll have to wait much longer to be honest, feels like late October at the latest for a first official look at this point.
When did they unveil the Switch? November? So October or November seems likely imo.
Same here I suspect it's something they intentionally engineers against because even when it get's "hot" it does not seem to go beyond a certain speed at worst it's a audible but not loud air conditioner you might find in a McDonalds or something.
I will say that at some point a year or two ago I did fuck around with it and applied new thermal paste to it because it was getting pretty hot. It still gets hot but not as much as it used to.
I however refuse to believe nintendo made a new system without a weird gimmick.
It lines up according to rumors that Nintendo's hardware division has been more or less left to the whims of their investors. The suits probably just want a Switch that can match a Ps4/Steam Deck in performance rather than a new gimmick because that'll (hopefully) sell. Especially with the roller-coaster of flop (GCN), massive success (Wii), gigaflop (Wii U), massive success (Switch). They probably wouldn't want to chance it and at worst it's just a better Switch that will sell a tiny bit better.

VSoyBoy

When did they unveil the Switch? November? So October or November seems likely imo.
October 20th was the trailer, which was pretty light on details though. The big, detailed press conference was in January. Looking it up now, I noticed they took the original trailer down/privated it. It was definitely there last year, but I don't know when exactly it disappeared.

Nintendo & the Pokemon Company sue Palworld devs. New

Superduper Samurai

Early Adopter

reinigen

Dang it
Ward Security

VSoyBoy

Not copyright but PATENT INFRINGEMENT. That's going to be flying pretty fucking close to the sun IMO. I'm not sure that's a precedent Nintendo wants to start pushing.
Let's not forget that these are both Japanese companies. We all know how Japanese law can play out for cases like this.

This also means that any details on this ordeal will be much harder to come by while it is still developing.

Helmet-kun Backwards

I can't stop repeating words in longposts :(

RestlessRain

Early Adopter

I don't think there's anything to the lawsuit, at least on face value. Capturing and battling monsters is too generic to be copyrightable, and Pokemon wasn't the first to do it anyway. Palworld's pals, and Pokemon's monsters, although they share some similarities, are all different in design, proportion, silhouette, colour and function. There's also a huge difference in how Pokemon plays to how Palworld plays. What I think this actually is, is Nintendo throwing a huge lawsuit at a relatively small gaming company to try and ruin them financially because their game is hugely successful and arguably better than Pokemon. This has really lost a lot of respect from Nintendo for me.

thhrang

Punished Autism Extraordinaire
Early Adopter
Ward Security
♥Realticule's Husbando♥

RestlessRain

Early Adopter
This is the straw that broke the camel's back for you?
I don't follow Nintendo lawsuits too closely but as I understand it, they've mainly gone after emulation and piracy, which they have to do to keep their copyright. It's rather different to go after a legitimate company making legally distinct games, and saying: "fuck you, here's a huge lawsuit and Nintendo's army of lawyers for you to deal with" because that company made a better game than they did.

Lurker McSpic

We need to increase the hag population
Not copyright but PATENT INFRINGEMENT.
It wouldn't surprise me if these orientals patented the capture monster gimmick and want to sue them since they're on the same country. These are the same fags who patented the insanity system from eternal darkness, I think it expired now. These guys are fucked, from what I remember nintendo lobbied to make laws that makes illegal renting consoles and killed most of the venues who would rent consoles. Many turned into bars that let you play old consoles :Vesper-UNHINGED: Nintendo could lobby to have your family killed and no one would bat an eye.

Egg the Boiled

Yeah.
It wouldn't surprise me if these orientals patented the capture monster gimmick and want to sue them since they're on the same country.
How does that apply with all the other monster catching games? Will the autism spread?

reinigen

Dang it
Ward Security
How does that apply with all the other monster catching games? Will the autism spread?
if that were the case, it would generally work AGAINST Nintendo/TPC because they hadn't been aggressively pursuing their patent enough. Especially since one of Pocket Pair's previous game had a monster catching mechanic, but it's only THIS one they sue for.

Lurker McSpic

We need to increase the hag population

if that were the case, it would generally work AGAINST Nintendo/TPC because they hadn't been aggressively pursuing their patent enough. Especially since one of Pocket Pair's previous game had a monster catching mechanic, but it's only THIS one they sue for.
If someone reads oriental could find the patent but from what I know it depends how descriptive they were. Palworld uses balls to capture and deploy monsters, the same way as pokemon. If the patent is basically "monster catching mechanic using balls that offer different rates of success" then palworld is infringing on their patent. Yes it's asinine but that's how shit works and in japan it's worse.

reinigen

Dang it
Ward Security
If someone reads oriental could find the patent but from what I know it depends how descriptive they were. Palworld uses balls to capture and deploy monsters, the same way as pokemon. If the patent is basically "monster catching mechanic using balls that offer different rates of success" then palworld is infringing on their patent. Yes it's asinine but that's how shit works and in japan it's worse.
Give it two days and some autistic Youtuber will have sleuthed it out and made a 30 minute vid on it.

To give you an idea of how retarded game patents can be, see how Namco fucked us out of minigames during loading screens -

Security

irc.rizon.net #TheVirtualAsylum

Unless I'm misreading things, this is indeed Patent Law, and not Copyright Law. From what I'm seeing, Japan, like the US, currently has patents lasting 20 years. If the ball mechanic was it, it would certainly be expired by now.

However, I could easily see it being something more specific like "ball catching mechanic in a 3D open world," in which case, would be a much more recent patent, as I don't think Nintendo had this before a recent-ish game.

John Vtuber👁️

Sentient Eyeball, Primarch of Hag Pride Worldwide
Certified Manwhore
...Well, now I have to keep a close eye on what Nintendo considers infringement, so that I can make sure not to do that with any of my work as well!

God's Strongest Dragoon

Agreed, but maybe this is the gen where Nintendo realizes they just need to make the Switch again But Better.
If they don't call it the Super Switch like the Super NES but instead just go with Switch 2, their marketing department is actually retarded.

CalciumAnimal

Drink Milk
I don't follow Nintendo lawsuits too closely but as I understand it, they've mainly gone after emulation and piracy, which they have to do to keep their copyright. It's rather different to go after a legitimate company making legally distinct games, and saying: "fuck you, here's a huge lawsuit and Nintendo's army of lawyers for you to deal with" because that company made a better game than they did.
Reminder Palworld isn't the only game Pocketpair has made. Hell their entire deal is seeing what games are popular and trying to mix them together.

There is a case to be made against Pocketpair here never grave their newest game is clearly hollow knight is everything but the tiny details. Craftopia is 90% breath of the wild.

Yes pocket pair has the right to make games sharing a genre but they are also the mentally retarded children baiting Nintendo with shit like Verdash it was a taunt it worked.
If they don't call it the Super Switch like the Super NES but instead just go with Switch 2, their marketing department is actually retarded.
Why super specifically? I guess it would be a fun nod to SUPER mario bros but by that logic they could just as easily call it the Switch Bros.

Nintendos usually pretty good with it's names. Gamecube was on the nose but the WII had a great name and slogan same with the Switch?

God's Strongest Dragoon

Why super specifically? I guess it would be a fun nod to SUPER mario bros but by that logic they could just as easily call it the Switch Bros.

Nintendos usually pretty good with it's names. Gamecube was on the nose but the WII had a great name and slogan same with the Switch?
Please tell me you're not some zoomer and actually know what this is
R.png

PleaseCheckYourReceipts

Unless I'm misreading things, this is indeed Patent Law, and not Copyright Law. From what I'm seeing, Japan, like the US, currently has patents lasting 20 years. If the ball mechanic was it, it would certainly be expired by now.

However, I could easily see it being something more specific like "ball catching mechanic in a 3D open world," in which case, would be a much more recent patent, as I don't think Nintendo had this before a recent-ish game.

Fun part about Patent challenges is you can also challenge the granting of the Patent. It's why very few tech companies ever want to bring those cases. What they always want is this monster portfolio of patents that they can use as a cudgel in negotiations. This is almost assuredly TPC trying to avoid losing billions to Palworld. The smarter move would be to just buy them for a billion dollars and use it as a separate brand, but that's probably thinking too far ahead right now. Or Palworld didn't take an offer and this is what followed.

As for the Switch 2, the important part is that it'll have an actually new SoC to work with. The Tegra in the first Switch had been on the market for like 2+ years when the Switch eventually released, which means the design is from around 2011. It'll be wild to see what performance increases the new one will bring.

Top Bottom