"And now whenever I go to the bathroom, I'm gonna say 'I need to lubricate the toilet'"Fujikura Uruka

Vidya Games Thread

Kyouko

Vanitas vanitatum
The other new release I'm looking forward to. I've been seeing great reviews! One even went so far as to call it the best 2D Mario game since World on the SNES. This actually you? If so, how's it so far from your perspective?
It's so far the best Mario game I've played in my life, every stage surprises me with the Wonder Flowers and I'm 13 hours in, there's puzzles, races, you can play with friends even (but since I'm on emulator that's off the limits). The game is SMB3 but done with drugs and complete creative freedom, S-tier game definitely.

And yeah, it's my Steam Deck running it

CalciumAnimal

Drink Milk
It's so far the best Mario game I've played in my life, every stage surprises me with the Wonder Flowers and I'm 13 hours in, there's puzzles, races, you can play with friends even (but since I'm on emulator that's off the limits). The game is SMB3 but done with drugs and complete creative freedom, S-tier game definitely.

And yeah, it's my Steam Deck running it
hows it's compared to Odyssey just as a comparison of quality?

Kyouko

Vanitas vanitatum
hows it's compared to Odyssey just as a comparison of quality?
It's a 2D mario game, it has way less things to do and it's pretty straightforward, however, what it does in a short amount of time is just phenomenally executed. The music, the artstyle, the level design, even the flowers that talk to you are quirky but aren't annoying; it's like Todd Howard saying "it just works" but here it's not a lie, it does work indeed. The quality is there

agility_

We have some serious streams to discuss 🔨
Early Adopter
What if we've all been had by an elaborate troll

chad sapieha.png

MrProcessor

Soldier of Godrick

View attachment 51606
1697823353321.png
I don't have any reason to believe the latest version doesn't have unremovable pride flags in it. The article may be fake, and an attempt to rub people's noses in the fact the game is woke, but I don't doubt that the game will be woke.

I think the last Spider-man game I bought was Spider-man for the Sega Genesis, I give it 4 1/2 out of 5 stars. I think the last Marvel game of any kind I got was Hulk Ultimate Destruction for the GameCube, I think it's good but I liked Prototype more. My favorite Marvel games are the Capcom fighting games. If the woke stuff doesn't bother people I'm sure that Spider-man 2 will be a competent action game, so don't worry about it unless woke stuff bothers you. In which case I'd advise getting something else.

Last edited:

Abomination

The abominable amalgamation known as "chyaaat!"
It's a 2D mario game, it has way less things to do and it's pretty straightforward, however, what it does in a short amount of time is just phenomenally executed. The music, the artstyle, the level design, even the flowers that talk to you are quirky but aren't annoying; it's like Todd Howard saying "it just works" but here it's not a lie, it does work indeed. The quality is there
Well, with that glowing endorsement and apparently people saying it's the best since World, I'll have to pick it up. I'm not the biggest Mario fan, but Super Mario World is one of my favorite games, and I've played it countless times.

View attachment 51606
I mean, what's the troll? Trick people into not buying a $60 to $70 game that's a bit fun at best, but can easily be replaced by another fun game?

I guess he could claim he got people online to seethe, but it's not like anything he said isn't believable given some of the stuff in previous games. Though I guess given how much people complained about some of the stuff in previous games, you could question why the people who would complain are even still bothering the with Spider-Man games.

Again, I was never going to play it, anyway.

Audi Vide Tace

Self-Proclaimed Lurker
Geist's Second Husband
this is literally how i imagine america
The average American daily morning routine consists of stepping out on to their porch, firing a warning shot into the air, take aim and fire at a random gangbanger, and then throwing the body in the dumpster.

Waste management services come on Mondays.

Kyouko

Vanitas vanitatum
Well, with that glowing endorsement and apparently people saying it's the best since World, I'll have to pick it up. I'm not the biggest Mario fan, but Super Mario World is one of my favorite games, and I've played it countless times.
>it goes by sprite keyframes
>New enemies keep coming every few stages like it doesn't have an end
>Open zones with hidden things within each
>Hidden special world
>Stages that are just events for fun aside from the regulars start -to-finish classic ones
>References all the mario games
>The Wonder Flowers change the game in a way that can twist even the platformer genre

Like man I get surprised and excited about them I can't even imagine what it has in store on the hidden world, they're all just really unexpected
>Couch coop where you can mount a Yoshi if your friend chooses it

Yeah, I'm thinking kinomaxx :pippasadl:

Last edited:

Banana Hammock

Born to Sneed
Early Adopter
God damn. There's another Hololive-themed Suika Game spinoff.

CalciumAnimal

Drink Milk
so Average 2D Mario game thanks.
>Hidden special world
>Stages that are just events for fun aside from the regulars start -to-finish classic ones
>The Wonder Flowers change the game in a way that can twist even the platformer genre

Like man I get surprised and excited about them I can't even imagine what it has in store on the hidden world, they're all just really unexpected

OH wow you way undersold it with your first post. Ill probably pick it up then sounds like a good time waster.Above average Mario Game.No insult but think really hard about the last time you heard about a bad mario game. Sunshine ? (I 100% it and still remember it fondly even with all the bad decisions)

Saturnus

haha it's unou
>Hidden special world

The only bad things imo is the lack of true online co-op play (its still ghosts and race to the end shit). Also the fact that local co-op is missing the dumb shit you could do to your friends (ie; fuck them over by throwing them """accidentally""").

Kyouko

Vanitas vanitatum
so Average 2D Mario game thanks.

OH wow you way undersold it with your first post. Ill probably pick it up then sounds like a good time waster.Above average Mario Game.No insult but think really hard about the last time you heard about a bad mario game. Sunshine ? (I 100% it and still remember it fondly even with all the bad decisions)
the last time was New Super Mario Bros. U, that game was good, but it wasn't a hit. It showed fatigue and lacked punch

(now I'm watching Mari Mari playing Wonder after she got her soul crushed by how bad Sonic Superstars was)

Aquatic Novellite

Freshwater Shiorin
Early Adopter
No insult but think really hard about the last time you heard about a bad mario game. Sunshine ? (I 100% it and still remember it fondly even with all the bad decisions)
The NSMB series was moderately panned for being incredibly derivative.

Admittedly, it was moderately panned by old Mario fans. As far as I can tell via my extended family, the kids loved it.

My biggest criticism is the elephant powerup wearing bloomers when you play a female character. Can I, like, play Daisy or Toadette and not get hit in the face with elephant bloomers, Nintendo? Pretty please?

Btw and quite on topic, if one is thinking of watching a streamer play it, Shion is pretty competent at Mario and started it.

reinigen

Dang it
Ward Security
Yea, I've dipped my toes into Wonder as well. I'm part way through Level 2, and am basically agreeing with BVTM. Game is absolutely great so far. Some thoughts
  • The game taking place in another Kingdom has given them free reign to design a crap ton of new enemies, and some of them are really great so far.
  • The wonder segments are all over the place. Some are total LSD trips. Some just change the level layout (flipping the water to the ceiling of a cave rather than the bottom as an example)
  • There are different ending paths in some levels that are really hard to find. Took me a few attempts to find some of them.
  • Along those lines, the amount of hidden stages in the levels is pretty great. If you just blow through the main path you'll only get, like, half the stages in a world. It takes a bit of exploring to find all of them. And the hidden ones are consistently the most interesting and more difficult thus far.
  • Found two areas of the Special World. They are PUNISHING. I'm setting them aside for now to just clear the normal game and get some lives stocked up, cause I'm sure they're going to require me to just throw bodies at it.
This is easily the most fun I've had with a 2D Mario game in a LONG time.

diethylether

bird molecule

It only took them 11 years (and probably 4 more) but CIG are finally finishing up on sq42
It looks promising tbh

Aquatic Novellite

Freshwater Shiorin
Early Adopter
  • Found two areas of the Special World. They are PUNISHING. I'm setting them aside for now to just clear the normal game and get some lives stocked up, cause I'm sure they're going to require me to just throw bodies at it.
The difficulty ratings for the levels are a bit weird. The difference between four and five stars is greater than the difference between one and four...

You'll blow through everything. Kids game. Four stars, secret passage, no problem. Oh look, a five star difficulty level, maybe we'll finally get a challenge for once.

Twenty lives later...

Reminiscent of Super Mario Land 2, the final castle difficulty spike, actually.

I will say that a lot of what Mario Wonder does has already been done by Donkey Kong: Tropical Freeze, and often better integrated (the LSD trips just happen organically, rather than you hitting a wonder seed).

However, Tropical Freeze has weird floaty jump physics I intensely dislike. Whereas Mario Wonder's jump physics are most closely resembling SMB 3, I think.

And jump physics kind of matter in platformers.

Punished Anime Discusser

Early Adopter
MGS Collection vol. 1 reviews and info are out.
People are mad that it's just very faithful ports and fixes of issues the HD collection had instead of another shitty remaster/remake.

Allah give me strength to not fedpost.

The Rrat

Phoneposting, Rat-loving menace
Early Adopter
MGS Collection vol. 1 reviews and info are out.
People are mad that it's just very faithful ports and fixes of issues the HD collection had instead of another shitty remaster/remake.

Allah give me strength to not fedpost.
Seems to be mixed between people happy they are faithful and idiots complaining about them. The releasw actually does seem to be incredibly extensive with a lot of content it is good to have the games obtainable on modern platforms and PC (officially) in as close to perfect ports as possible.

Harrow Prime

Among Other Names.
Early Adopter
Kronii's Husband
An unintelligent man is about to do an intelligence build in Cyberpunk. Can't wait to see how it goes.:BijouBijou:

edit: I don't feel very intelligent after using overclock and giving a guy cyberpsychosis.:annoyedpippa:

Last edited:

Harrow Prime

Among Other Names.
Early Adopter
Kronii's Husband
Lol double post

I killed a Korean woman, I will never recover from this.:ameraintear:

Seriously though, King of Cups ending fucking hurts. Better than the alternative, sure, but man.
And fuck the game for suddenly going survival horror mode.:annoyedpippa:

Top Bottom