"I can dual wield badminton, which makes me unstoppable"Rin Penrose

Vidya Games Thread

reinigen

Dang it
Ward Security
2004 is probably one of the most insane years for gaming with 2007 not too far behind.
Agreeing with Jamba here, 2004 was probably the best year in gaming thus far. A notable list:
  • Half-Life 2
  • Doom 3
  • Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic II: The Sith Lords
  • Thief: Deadly Shadows
  • Unreal Tournament 2004
  • Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas
  • Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door
  • Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater
  • Prince of Persia: Warrior Within
  • Driv3r
  • Metroid: Zero Mission
  • The Legend of Zelda: The Minish Cap
  • Pokemon Fire Red / Leaf Green
  • Pokémon Ruby / Sapphire / Emerald
  • Mega Man Zero 3
  • Baten Kaitos: Eternal Wings and the Lost Ocean
  • Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles
  • Metroid Prime 2: Echoes
  • Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell: Pandora Tomorrow
  • Need for Speed: Underground 2
  • Katamari Damacy
  • Ninja Gaiden
  • Far Cry
  • Halo 2
  • World of Warcraft
  • Dragon Quest VIII
  • Counter-Strike: Source
  • Resident Evil Outbreak
  • Fable
  • Syberia II
  • Tribes: Vengeance
  • Tony Hawk's Underground 2
  • OutRun 2
  • Jak 3
  • Cave Story
On the subject of Sony again I didn't realize who the new Sony Interactive CEO was after Jack Ryan, but I'm quickly learning a lot about that idiot the last few days.

CalciumAnimal

Drink Milk
Agreeing with Jamba here, 2004 was probably the best year in gaming thus far. A notable list:
  • Half-Life 2
  • Doom 3
  • Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic II: The Sith Lords
  • Thief: Deadly Shadows
  • Unreal Tournament 2004
  • Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas
  • Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door
  • Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater
  • Prince of Persia: Warrior Within
  • Driv3r
  • Metroid: Zero Mission
  • The Legend of Zelda: The Minish Cap
  • Pokemon Fire Red / Leaf Green
  • Pokémon Ruby / Sapphire / Emerald
  • Mega Man Zero 3
  • Baten Kaitos: Eternal Wings and the Lost Ocean
  • Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles
  • Metroid Prime 2: Echoes
  • Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell: Pandora Tomorrow
  • Need for Speed: Underground 2
  • Katamari Damacy
  • Ninja Gaiden
  • Far Cry
  • Halo 2
  • World of Warcraft
  • Dragon Quest VIII
  • Counter-Strike: Source
  • Resident Evil Outbreak
  • Fable
  • Syberia II
  • Tribes: Vengeance
  • Tony Hawk's Underground 2
  • OutRun 2
  • Jak 3
  • Cave Story
On the subject of Sony again I didn't realize who the new Sony Interactive CEO was after Jack Ryan, but I'm quickly learning a lot about that idiot the last few days.

i find it hilarious that i still have zero idea what concord actually was as a game even fucking anthem i heard more about then this mess.

The Rrat

Phoneposting, Rat-loving menace
Early Adopter

The best part is that they are gearing up to do it all over again:

Same deal with this game. They bought the studio and are thinking it will be a huge hit, like they thought with Concord.

God's Strongest Dragoon

He's the retard that was the CEO of Guerrilla Games (Horizon series). Horizon will continue to be astroturfed with this guy at the helm.

Same deal with this game. They bought the studio and are thinking it will be a huge hit, like they thought with Concord.

On a positive note for SIE, it looks like they won't have to pay any taxes for the next decade.
:ironmousekek:

Last edited:

Zizara

No faith in Humanity
Dizzy's Wife
That, apart from Last Of Us 2, is the stupidest GOTY ever.

Crazy that inquisition won in a year where Mario Kart 8, Alien Isolation and Wolfenstein came out, and those games weren't even nominated. Out of the games nominated the only bigger joke is Hearthstone, all the other nominees are more memorable to this day and should have taken it over Dragon Age.
Inquisition is like the epitome of the open world slop era of gaming, so of course it won. Dragon Age is just such a wild franchise though, it opens with a landmark genre-defining title that immediately catapulted it to the front of the public consciousness as the IP to watch and then EA simply refused to give the audience what they actually wanted afterwards, more of what made the IP valuable in the first place.
Larian's issue has always been publicity because they used to make top of the line jank games then they made OS and OS2 which while still janky are much much more polished they got a lot more notice when the CRPG boom died out leaving only them standing with Owlcat existing shortly after.
Dragon Commander was peak just for being the only RTS where I wished there was less RTS so I could spend more time talking politics and kingdom building with my advisors. I hope Larian brings back some of that creativity because it was some of the best rather than just pumping out "Origins with different set dressing" games. It works though so I wouldn't blame them.
Dawn of Wars 1 and 2 have been given "Anniversary Editions" that collect the games and their expansions + DLC in 2's case. They are also currently on sale for cheap.

I cannot recommend DOW1 enough. Not only is it arguably the best 40K game, it is one of the best RTSs, period. Although DOW2 has more of a focus on tactics, it's still an excellent game in its own right.

DOW1, Dark Crusade, and Soulstorm with Apocalypse mod are really some of the best RTS experiences you can have. DOW is also the source of like half of that times 40k memes and culture, I'm disappointed every time I see Space Marines in other media and they don't sound the same.

Superduper Samurai

Early Adopter
Inquisition is like the epitome of the open world slop era of gaming, so of course it won. Dragon Age is just such a wild franchise though, it opens with a landmark genre-defining title that immediately catapulted it to the front of the public consciousness as the IP to watch and then EA simply refused to give the audience what they actually wanted afterwards, more of what made the IP valuable in the first place.
Evergreen article

This was before 2 released, the enshittification was there from the start

Last edited:

PleaseCheckYourReceipts

i find it hilarious that i still have zero idea what concord actually was as a game even fucking anthem i heard more about then this mess.

Anthem was the one super destructive EA Exec being the only person in the room that could tell Bioware that "Flying like Iron Man is what you should do" for a Warframe knockoff. They then had wasted so much time that they couldn't rework a game together to meet the deadline that EA set because EA was getting supremely annoyed at how long the development had gone. It's a terrible sign for a studio when the Exec known for pushing monetization to the point that global regulation of loot boxes happened is the only one with any sense in the 2010s that an Iron Man simulator might sell well.

Weirdly, Anthem actually was profitable, though barely. It shifted something like nearly 6 million copies in total.

I remember first seeing the trailer. This is *actually* peak early 2020s Western Game Design. Slickly produced but so overdetailed that it's both generic and DOA at the same time.

The Rrat

Phoneposting, Rat-loving menace
Early Adopter
On a positive note for SIE, it looks like they won't have to pay any taxes for the next decade.
:ironmousekek:
Can they even write off Concord? The game actually came out. I thought to qualify, they would have had to scrap it before release.

PleaseCheckYourReceipts

Can they even write off Concord? The game actually came out. I thought to qualify, they would have had to scrap it before release.
Some law change a couple of years ago allows for them to write it off if they fully scrap it. Disney has done this with several shows on their mostly failing streaming service. If you fully remove the content, you can use up to a 10 year carryforward on the loss. That's probably why they were so quick to pull the plug after it clearly failed.

Tubedude

He's the retard that was the CEO of Guerrilla Games (Horizon series). Horizon will continue to be astroturfed with this guy at the helm.
Ah, based off how the Horizon games are with everything outside of it's mid gameplay (imo), no wonder he thinks these inevitable flops are going to be massive hits.

Security

irc.rizon.net #TheVirtualAsylum
I was just going to do 2024 GOTY but I guess I'll take @reinigen's suggestion and do 10/20/30. So that would be 2024, 2014, 2004, and 1994.

>1994 was 30 years ago

fg0buj.gif

30 years before 1994 was 1964. The difference between 1964 and 1994, and 1994 and 2024 is enormous. Time does not make sense to me.

Top Bottom