"AAARRRGH! You can't marry me because I'm already your older sister!"Omaru Polka

Vidya Games Thread

The Rrat

Phoneposting, Rat-loving menace
Early Adopter
I think I might just do that for December this year. Just come up with the format and have people nominate games for categories before making a thread for the actual results.
I'm gonna nominate every Call of Duty for every year one released.

reinigen

Dang it
Ward Security
We should do a forum poll for GOTY since 1990. If only to shit on Inquisition and for me to piss off the planet with my 1996 pick
It's one thing I appreciate about /v/'s Vidya Gaem Awards is they also do GOTY for something 20/30 years ago along with the other awards. Last year was for 1993 and 2003 and the winners were Doom and Windwaker respectively.

CalciumAnimal

Drink Milk
These people are so soulless and uncreative they can't roleplay in a roleplaying game, they have to be looking at themselves 100% of the time,
plenty of people play themselves in videos games hell tons of other people view roleplaying games as "what decision you would make" rather then "what decision would your character make in this situation"

If you want to be more accurate it's these people being tone deaf to everything around them literal self centeredness
>Larian releases Divinity: Original Sin but is snubbed by nu-Bioware's DA:I for Best RPG
>Larian puts out D:OS2 and gets snubbed again by Atlus's Persona 5
>Larian proceeds to continue old-Bioware's Baldur's Gate series and collect every award under the sun

:smugpipi:
Ehhh P5 was amazing for it's own reasons. game hits you over the head repeatedly with aesthetic and style along with being fairly frontloaded I fully believe that Kamoshida was supposed to be a later palace because going from Abusive Blackmailing Rapist Murderer to Plagiarist Murderer seems like a downgrade

Larian's issue has always been publicity because they used to make top of the line jank games then they made OS and OS2 which while still janky are much much more polished they got a lot more notice when the CRPG boom died out leaving only them standing with Owlcat existing shortly after.

My timeline might be a bit off but the point is Larian was always great it just didn't have the publicity the kind of greatness that only happens if you spend years shaking up your own formula and seeing what works.
Meanwhile I've been having an absolute blast playing Star Trucker and that development team is literally two people. I cannot wait until this "quadruple-A" DEI bloat fad gets the rope.
so that they can replace it with quintuple A? because its not a real thing it's a brand and image that sells to idiots who only care about the empty promises sold to them.
That's honestly an interesting question but we'd never come to a consensus in ten million years. There are some very very VERY good games made since 1990 and it'd end up being a popularity poll more than anything else. I would argue Mother 3 is the "best" game made in 2006 for example but no one has ever fucking played that game. Oblivion or Twilight Princess or something would get picked instead.
2006 was LOADED. Oblivion Dead Rising Twilight Princess The First Tomb Raider Reboot Hitman Blood Money Gears of War Need For Speed Carbon God Hand GTA Vice Saints Row Company of Heroes Half Life 2 Just Cause Bully New Super Mario Bros Okami.

All of which deserve consideration in their own ways and nothing stand out to put the rest to the grave.

Security

irc.rizon.net #TheVirtualAsylum
Last edited:

reinigen

Dang it
Ward Security

Apparently this fucking cringe 'lore' is a thing in Vampire Surviors now? Best part is you'll never guess who is apparently responsible.
rw618d.png

Security

Apparently this fucking cringe 'lore' is a thing in Vampire Surviors now? Best part is you'll never guess who is apparently responsible.
rw618d.png

Funny thing is, reading it, I honestly can't tell if it's mocking troons or supporting troons.

CalciumAnimal

Drink Milk

Garbage.

If we're gonna talk about loaded years, then the streak of '96 - '01 will never be topped.
this is what i get for trusting google.

UberSoldat

Dawn of Wars 1 and 2 have been given "Anniversary Editions" that collect the games and their expansions + DLC in 2's case. They are also currently on sale for cheap.

I cannot recommend DOW1 enough. Not only is it arguably the best 40K game, it is one of the best RTSs, period. Although DOW2 has more of a focus on tactics, it's still an excellent game in its own right.

Punished Anime Discusser

Early Adopter
Dawn of Wars 1 and 2 have been given "Anniversary Editions" that collect the games and their expansions + DLC in 2's case. They are also currently on sale for cheap.

I cannot recommend DOW1 enough. Not only is it arguably the best 40K game, it is one of the best RTSs, period. Although DOW2 has more of a focus on tactics, it's still an excellent game in its own right.

If you've owned any version of either game you got everything you were missing for free too. All of the DOW2 DLC, like the wargear packs, and Last Stand characters too.

Brosnan Pierce Brosnan

God's Strongest Smartass
Dizzy's Husband

Garbage.

If we're gonna talk about loaded years, then the streak of '96 - '01 will never be topped.
2002 easily tops 96 through 2001 all by itself, you can delete all other years and just live off of games from 2002 for all eternity.

We had:

Battlefield 1942
Metroid Prime
Dungeon Siege
Morrowind
Resident evil remake
Vice City
Eternal Darkness
Timesplitters 2
Allied Assault
Neverwinter Nights
Ratchet and Clank
No One Lives Forever 2
Warcraft 3

And many others I am missing

UberSoldat

Garbage.

2002 easily tops 96 through 2001 all by itself, you can delete all other years and just live off of games from 2002 for all eternity.

We had:

Battlefield 1942
Metroid Prime
Dungeon Siege
Morrowind
Resident evil remake
Vice City
Eternal Darkness
Timesplitters 2
Allied Assault
Neverwinter Nights
Ratchet and Clank
No One Lives Forever 2
Warcraft 3

Thanks for reminding me we'll never experience another golden age of gaming :depressedtako:

Security

We had:

Battlefield 1942
Metroid Prime
Dungeon Siege
Morrowind
Resident evil remake
Vice City
Eternal Darkness
Timesplitters 2
Allied Assault
Neverwinter Nights
Ratchet and Clank
No One Lives Forever 2
Warcraft 3

Now you got some good ones on that list, but, not only does it not top any of the aforementioned years, you got questionable entries.

Vice City? Outstanding vibe, great framework, rushed game. Too many poorly thoughout missions. Rockstar taking the time they needed resulted in San Andreas. I can only imagine what could've been if they gave Vice City another year in the oven.

WarCraft 3? Controversial pick. I'm on the side of "meh" with that one. Also signaled the end of the reign of the RTS.

Dungeon Siege? ...seriously? This is a troll entry to see if people are paying attention, right?

While the rest of the list include some absolute legends, any year from '96 - '01 beats it. I'll be nice and at least include it in the range, however.

Brosnan Pierce Brosnan

God's Strongest Smartass
Dizzy's Husband
Now you got some good ones on that list, but, not only does it not top any of the aforementioned years, you got questionable entries.

Vice City? Outstanding vibe, great framework, rushed game. Too many poorly thoughout missions. Rockstar taking the time they needed resulted in San Andreas. I can only imagine what could've been if they gave Vice City another year in the oven.

WarCraft 3? Controversial pick. I'm on the side of "meh" with that one. Also signaled the end of the reign of the RTS.

Dungeon Siege? ...seriously? This is a troll entry to see if people are paying attention, right?

While the rest of the list include some absolute legends, any year from '96 - '01 beats it. I'll be nice and at least include it in the range, however.
No I'm serious, if I had to pick PC games in particular to be stuck with I'd choose Dungeon Siege over the likes of Diablo 1/2. As far as that "feel" only Jagged Alliance 2 would beat it. Dungeon Siege excels in the chaos of equipping a small army of dudes and throwing them at a team to create chaos.

Vice City IMO is the first "good" GTA game, 3 was more of mess IMO

Warcraft 3 I felt like I had to include even though I don't really like it.

I also didn't include Super Mario Sunshine (didn't play it) or the likes of Castlevania/Metroid Fusion and others because those are deeper cuts. One of my favorite games from 2002 I didn't even include in the list because we got it in 2003 (and I only realized this now).

I personally don't see how any other year beats 2002 other than maybe 2007. 1998 comes close but IMO, I would only stick my neck out for Starcraft as I don't think Half-Life or Baldur's Gate have aged as well as the 2002 releases.

1999 is interesting because it had Jagged Alliance 2, Planescape Torment, Alpha Centauri and Unreal Tournament (its sequel also came out in 2002) in particular. But if you just compare the releases of 1999 and 2002 there was more variety and bigger oomph with 2002. But I think the 1999 releases are games that have stood the test of time compared to 1998.

EDIT: Looking at the lineups of the other years, the most interesting year and most stacked other than 2002 is naturally 1997. 2000 was pretty light with the standouts being Tony Hawk, the Sims, Deus Ex (which I thought was 99 lol), Diablo 2, Total War and Perfect Dark. While 2001 was a bit haphazard with in my eyes three games dominating the rest, Final Fantasy X, Silent Hill 2 and Ghost Recon. Metal Gear Solid 2 of course deserves a mention but I'd still say the 1998 entry is better.

1996... now that is a weird year if I do say so myself.

:kroniidrinking:

fucking Pokemon originally came out in 96....

Last edited:

agility_

We have some serious streams to discuss 🔨
Early Adopter
GTA3 might have been buggy at times but Liberty City Stories was so good.

CalciumAnimal

Drink Milk
ok but who the fuck remembers dungeon siege? i don't and i played it!

shipmate_F

menhera addicted sister
Pipproject Producer
This debate is weird because for me, 2005 was it. Many modern concepts were born there at a point of polish where 90s gaming was grasping at straws and praying that a bug would be good enough to enhance the gameplay instead of happy little accidents:
  • Tekken 5
  • Resident Evil 4
  • Gran Turismo 4
  • Devil May Cry 3
  • NFS Most Wanted
  • Burnout Revenge
  • killer7
  • Radiata Stories
  • Age of Empires 3
  • Shadow of the Colossus
  • Ninja Gaiden Black
  • Splinter Cell Chaos Theory
  • Star Wars Battlefront II
  • Super Monkey Ball DX
  • Kingdom Hearts 2 (lore sucks but the gameplay fucks)
  • Pokemon Mystery Dungeon
  • F.E.A.R
  • American Wasteland
  • Guitar Hero
  • Psychonauts
I did go back and played some of these games above because I was feeling sad about modern gaming status and they had it all without the current grift. I still enjoy all Genesis and SNES stuff, but they evoke a different emotion than the PS2/GCN/early PC gaming.

Brosnan Pierce Brosnan

God's Strongest Smartass
Dizzy's Husband
This debate is weird because for me, 2005 was it. Many modern concepts were born there at a point of polish where 90s gaming was grasping at straws and praying that a bug would be good enough to enhance the gameplay instead of happy little accidents:
  • Tekken 5
  • Resident Evil 4
  • Gran Turismo 4
  • Devil May Cry 3
  • NFS Most Wanted
  • Burnout Revenge
  • killer7
  • Radiata Stories
  • Age of Empires 3
  • Shadow of the Colossus
  • Ninja Gaiden Black
  • Splinter Cell Chaos Theory
  • Star Wars Battlefront II
  • Super Monkey Ball DX
  • Kingdom Hearts 2 (lore sucks but the gameplay fucks)
  • Pokemon Mystery Dungeon
  • F.E.A.R
  • American Wasteland
  • Guitar Hero
  • Psychonauts
I did go back and played some of these games above because I was feeling sad about modern gaming status and they had it all without the current grift. I still enjoy all Genesis and SNES stuff, but they evoke a different emotion than the PS2/GCN/early PC gaming.
No 2005 was baller. I think RE4 is the game I personally would have the most success arguing that it was the greatest game made and I personally believe FEAR is the greatest FPS

So for fun (and to show how stacked 2002 was) ill go ahead and compile top 10s to compare 97, 02 and 05

1) Star Fox 64
2) Symphony of the Night
3) Final Fantasy 7
4) Quake 2
5) Goldeneye
6) Mega Man Legends
7) Diablo
8) Fallout
9) Diddy Kong Racing
10) Turok: Dinosaur Hunter

1) Morrowind
2) Metroid Prime
3) Eternal Darkness
4) Splinter Cell
5) Xenosaga: Episode 1
6) Panzer Dragoon Orta
7) Resident Evil
8) Serious Sam: The Second Encounter
9) Ratchet and Clank
10) Disciples 2

A toss up between Disciples 2 and Jet Set Radio Future. I also really wanted to throw in Gungrave but I already omitted Wind Waker and Sunshine sooooooo

1) Resident Evil 4
2) FEAR
3) Condemned
4) Jade Empire
5) Devil May Cry 3
6) Mario Kart DS
7) Call of Duty 2
8) The Warriors
9) Killer7
10) Fatal Frame 3

Shadow of the Colossus barely misses the top 10 while I haven't played enough of Mercenaries to rate it sadly. I wanted to include Meteos but Fatal Frame 3 nudges it if only for how good it looks on the PS2. I think Haunting Ground was also 2005 so there is quite a bit of meat to that year after all.

1997. no curse of monkey island? no Age of Empires? Riven? Total Annihilation? Dungeon Keeper BLOOD? Einhander? Carmageddon? Tekken 3?

the last two there are such weak choices I'm starting to wonder if you are not an industry plant meant to subvert us from the inside.
Dungeon Keeper was the closest. Followed by parasite eve

Tekken 3: I don't like Tekken, wouldn't make sense making a top 10 list from me.

Einhander: I mean, no? Like there are quite a few 97 games I'd still put above it much less the top 10. If anything a Cave shooter or a Raiden game would be more deserving of mention. Heck I left out Myth and Klonoa. Shock Troopers I'd rate much higher

Never played that Monkey island or Total Annihilation

Blood was OK, I'd never put it above the first 2 Turoks. I even like Shogo more than it.

Riven: Hell no. Like I'm my mind it occupies the same area as Postal. Not that I don't like Riven, I just don't think it comes close to the top 10.

Age of Empires: This one would make more sense, however it was done so much better in 2 and Rise of Nations and even at that time I'd rather just play Civilization 2.

Carmaggedon: I haven't played it outside of its demo and man. Yeah thats a video game

Diddy Kong Racing I dunno man, it was the best Kart racer until Double Dash. Better than Mario Kart 64. Turok had some of the coolest weapons and batshit level design. Like the crazy shit you'd see in Duke Nukem 3D and Marathon. The issue with Turok is that it's re-release really supercedes it. Really I think Parasite Eve could be there but I still think Turok as a whole is a better game.

Edit: I just fact checked myself and Parasite Eve was released in 98. Which leaves Dungeon Keeper.... It's real close, but even then the original PC port of Turok was solid. I dunno.

Last edited:

CalciumAnimal

Drink Milk
No 2005 was baller. I think RE4 is the game I personally would have the most success arguing that it was the greatest game made and I personally believe FEAR is the greatest FPS

So for fun (and to show how stacked 2002 was) ill go ahead and compile top 10s to compare 97, 02 and 05

1) Star Fox 64
2) Symphony of the Night
3) Final Fantasy 7
4) Quake 2
5) Goldeneye
6) Mega Man Legends
7) Diablo
8) Fallout
9) Diddy Kong Racing
10) Turok: Dinosaur Hunter

1) Morrowind
2) Metroid Prime
3) Eternal Darkness
4) Splinter Cell
5) Xenosaga: Episode 1
6) Panzer Dragoon Orta
7) Resident Evil
8) Serious Sam: The Second Encounter
9) Ratchet and Clank
10) Disciples 2

1) Resident Evil 4
2) FEAR
3) Condemned
4) Jade Empire
5) Devil May Cry 3
6) Mario Kart DS
7) Call of Duty 2
8) The Warriors
9) Killer7
10) Fatal Frame 3

Shadow of the Colossus barely misses the top 10 while I haven't played enough of Mercenaries to rate it sadly. I wanted to include Meteos but Fatal Frame 3 nudges it if only for how good it looks on the PS2. I think Haunting Ground was also 2005 so there is quite a bit of meat to that year after all.
1997. no curse of monkey island? no Age of Empires? Riven? Total Annihilation? Dungeon Keeper BLOOD? Einhander? Carmageddon? Tekken 3?

the last two there are such weak choices I'm starting to wonder if you are not an industry plant meant to subvert us from the inside.

UberSoldat

Y'all are arguing over which years of gaming were based while I'm over here like:

hannibal-eating.gif

(I'm enjoying it all)

God's Strongest Dragoon

It's wild that everyone is sleeping on 2007 and 2004, which were probably 2 of the best years in gaming.
I'm gonna nominate every Call of Duty for every year one released.
I was just going to do 2024 GOTY but I guess I'll take @reinigen's suggestion and do 10/20/30. So that would be 2024, 2014, 2004, and 1994.
2004 is probably one of the most insane years for gaming with 2007 not too far behind.

Top Bottom