"What the fuck is IRC? What the fuck chat, is this before flip-phones or after flip-phones??; 'A decentralized messaging system' lol what does any of that mean!?"S.S. Isa

V&U - Proving that Koreans can be as bad as Singaporeans and Japanese.

fern_._

soft armpits
To understand what life is like in Korea, just imagine all of the societial problems and issues that plague Japan but multply it by ten. Koreans in general are a race of lolcows who are very susceptible to cult-like thinking. North Korea is an obvious example, but in South Korea a former prime minister was removed from office a few years ago because she was under the control of a death cult. Regardless of whether it's north or south, the Korean peninsula isn't a great place to live.
Korea is a country where getting a boss who’s only a mild dick is a once in a lifetime opportunity. This mainly lies in the societal and educational issues that Korea as a country faces due to its rapid economic growth under dictatorial rule. While previous dictatorships have been dethroned, Korea still suffers from an aging population and low birth rate owing to government programs to reduce the birth rate in the past and the growing cost of raising a child in the country. As such, Korea suffers from a government voted into power mostly by 30~40 year olds, and that specific slice of the population is one of the worst generations the country has seen. That is why, even though various societal reforms and such have been somewhat successful in the past, Korea is still hyper-resistant to change and is hell bent on keeping the broken systems of the past dictatorial rules alive. The entire political system is run by conservatives, and the ones that call themselves “liberals” are the most conservative of the bunch. Korea is the US if the US’s insanities were cranked up to a hundred.
The entertainment industry of Korea isn’t exempt from the socially hyper-conservative highly consumerist societal trends of the nation. Comedians will get canceled online for racism and sexual abuse but still get their own segments in the country’s most watched comedy show. Talent agencies will be exposed to have insanely inhumane conditions and near-illegal contracts but they will still proper because they’re the driving force behind the spread of Korean culture (the main way in which the government tries to grow Korean influence abroad) and also because they net a bizarrely high amount of money for the economy. Child labor makes up a big part of the K-pop and K-drama industry and nothing has been done to combat that. Kids as young as 12 or 13 are selling their lives to major entertainment corporations as part of inhumane trainee programs just to get the chance to debut as a K-pop idol. The general public is well aware of this, yet nothing is being done. It’s not a surprise that it’s leeched into the VTuber sphere. Next thing I know, Korean VTuber talent agencies will start recruiting middle/high schoolers and force them into horrifying contracts to make them into the next “Hoshimachi Suisei”, whatever that’s supposed to mean.

TL;DR:
Korea is headed at Mach 10 towards a brick wall, and they cannot even hope to scale it. For any VTubers, students, or other people interested in working with a Korean company or coming to Korea, don’t. There is no future waiting for you here.

Last edited:

fern_._

soft armpits
The blame of the situation seems to rest entirely on V&U’s shoulders, but that’s if we assume Serafi is telling the entire truth. We have no way of verifying her claims, though, so I’ll just have to take them at face value. She states that her problems with the company mainly had to do with how upper management handled things and the managers that she’s been assigned. I don't have a reason to doubt her claims about V&U’s incompetencies and I have a suspicion that the “managers” that she’s been assigned have actually been interns, as it’s a common practice to hire incompetent but academically excellent students in new and old Korean companies. There’s no way to salvage something after the core itself has rotten, just gotta pray something better comes to take its place.
Incompetency is a very common theme amongst failed VTuber agencies, and I’m surprised that nobody (aside from a select few) has learned a lesson. At this point, I’m convinced that it’s safer to be an indie than a corpo VTuber. Hope V&U gets what they deserve and Serafi manages to grow despite this.

MerelyTourist

jkterjter jkterjtier
LM's Ladyboy
The blame of the situation seems to rest entirely on V&U’s shoulders, but that’s if we assume Serafi is telling the entire truth. We have no way of verifying her claims, though, so I’ll just have to take them at face value.
There's no need to dig deep. Simple facts:
> she was unsatisfied with whatever, reason is complelely irrelevant
> she wanted to leave
> contract is expired too
> corpa tries to intimidate, fails, proceed to twatter bullshit in absence of other options

Nenélove

Dying from mexican sickness
Early Adopter
Nene's Pet Latinx
Latinx/Latine
To understand what life is like in Korea, just imagine all of the societial problems and issues that plague Japan but multply it by ten. Koreans in general are a race of lolcows who are very susceptible to cult-like thinking. North Korea is an obvious example, but in South Korea a former prime minister was removed from office a few years ago because she was under the control of a death cult. Regardless of whether it's north or south, the Korean peninsula isn't a great place to live.
Any country where the vast majority of the population believes that fans consume fucking oxygen and will asphyxiate you if left on is a country I wouldn't call "sane" or any other word which approaches that one in meaning.

Abomination

The abominable amalgamation known as "chyaaat!"
The Serafi model was a good one, and it's a shame it's essentially dumpstered now. Shame on whoever is at most fault or shame on both.

I don't know shit about the company or the person behind Serafi, and I frankly don't care enough to do my reps on this one. Been too many of these situations lately, and I'm tired of going through them. Best wishes to whoever is decent in this situation and screw off to whoever is shitty in this situation.

That's all the useless commentary I have to offer.

fortnitesmasherX

Does anyone have an archive of Serafi's content? I tried looking on Ragtag buy couldn't find anything.

Bronze

Does anyone have an archive of Serafi's content? I tried looking on Ragtag buy couldn't find anything.
one of V&U discord mods, master117, said they've archived pretty much everything, but its an offline archive afaik.

fortnitesmasherX

one of the discord mods, master117, said they archived pretty much everything, but its an offline archive afaik.
What discord? The V&U one?

Random_Cultist2:ElectricBoog

Semi-nominal Lurker

Korea is a country where getting a boss who’s only a mild dick is a once in a lifetime opportunity. This mainly lies in the societal and educational issues that Korea as a country faces due to its rapid economic growth under dictatorial rule. While previous dictatorships have been dethroned, Korea still suffers from an aging population and low birth rate owing to government programs to reduce the birth rate in the past and the growing cost of raising a child in the country. As such, Korea suffers from a government voted into power mostly by 30~40 year olds, and that specific slice of the population is one of the worst generations the country has seen. That is why, even though various societal reforms and such have been somewhat successful in the past, Korea is still hyper-resistant to change and is hell bent on keeping the broken systems of the past dictatorial rules alive. The entire political system is run by conservatives, and the ones that call themselves “liberals” are the most conservative of the bunch. Korea is the US if the US’s insanities were cranked up to a hundred.
The entertainment industry of Korea isn’t exempt from the hyper-conservative highly consumerist societal trends of the nation. Comedians will get canceled online for racism and sexual abuse but still get their own segments in the country’s most watched comedy show. Talent agencies will be exposed to have insanely inhumane conditions and near-illegal contracts but they will still proper because they’re the driving force behind the spread of Korean culture (the main way in which the government tries to grow Korean influence abroad) and also because they net a bizarrely high amount of money for the economy. Child labor makes up a big part of the K-pop and K-drama industry and nothing has been done to combat that. Kids as young as 12 or 13 are selling their lives to major entertainment corporations as part of inhumane trainee programs just to get the chance to debut as a K-pop idol. The general public is well aware of this, yet nothing is being done. It’s not a surprise that it’s leeched into the VTuber sphere. Next thing I know, Korean VTuber talent agencies will start recruiting middle/high schoolers and force them into horrifying contracts to make them into the next “Hoshimachi Suisei”, whatever that’s supposed to mean.

TL;DR:
Korea is headed at Mach 10 towards a brick wall, and they cannot even hope to scale it. For any VTubers, students, or other people interested in working with a Korean company or coming to Korea, don’t. There is no future waiting for you here.
TLDR: Worst Korea is a IRL cyberpunk setting. High Tech, Low Life.

agility_

We have some serious streams to discuss 🔨
Early Adopter
Seoul is a cyberpunk dystopia, you don't need to squint your eyes. Samsung, SK, Hanwa and Hyundai own the government, dictate their service terms and appoint whoever they deem fit to the appropriate seats. The people who currently cannot make ends meet are indistinguishable from those rundown slumdogs you read about on a Stephenson novel.

Poyoyo & Jill

KAWAYO
Each day that passes only gives Ayame more reasons to destroy Korea

Paladin

Resident Sad Girl Enjoyer
Given the Korean nature of this, I feel it fitting to include these breakdowns of the ongoing gender conflict in Korea. Their not perfect, but it is useful for the amount of context behind all the crazy shit we see from the Korean side of the sphere, and I imagine it's only going to get worse.

Aquatic Novellite

Freshwater Shiorin
Early Adopter
Each day that passes only gives Ayame more reasons to destroy Korea
Quite the opposite. She enjoys their suffering.

Destroying Korea would make the Koreans happier and is therefore strictly opposed by Ayame.

agility_

We have some serious streams to discuss 🔨
Early Adopter

It's nearly 48 minutes, is this some nerdrotic-quartering quality griftosphere slop, or is it actually an interesting opinion.
Actually you know what, they're using the g word instead of sex, I'm going to assume it's the former.

theseeker

It's nearly 48 minutes, is this some nerdrotic-quartering quality griftosphere slop, or is it actually an interesting opinion.
Actually you know what, they're using the g word instead of sex, I'm going to assume it's the former.
I've also been told they were also downplaying Megala, an extreme feminist movement in Korea that took it to it's logical extreme and was even involved with political corruption and their impact on Korea as a whole can not be understated given they practically made the pinching gesture into the Korean version of the Nazi salute and Koreans will panic if they get caught accidentally making it because its what Megala used to mock Korean men's "tiny penises". It's a huge rabbit hole that makes alot of Western Feminists look tame in comparison.

The Proctor

Manager Arc Unlocked?
Staff member
I've also been told they were also downplaying Megala, an extreme feminist movement in Korea that took it to it's logical extreme and was even involved with political corruption and their impact on Korea as a whole can not be understated given they practically made the pinching gesture into the Korean version of the Nazi salute and Koreans will panic if they get caught accidentally making it because its what Megala used to mock Korean men's "tiny penises". It's a huge rabbit hole that makes alot of Western Feminists look tame in comparison.

Any interesting papers/documentaries/etc that are worth looking at about this?

Paladin

The first video is more meandering, discussing Korean culture and neo-Confucianism. There are many problems with its construction, for example, when he talks about the gatcha drama and then goes on a 10-minute-long explanation about the Korean air disaster. It makes sense and does provide a lot of insight, but the point gets lost in the weeds. It's not perfect, but it is definitely a good primer for all the crazy bullshit coming out of Korea.
Edit: The second video covers the Megala movement in more detail, but I agree with the criticism that he doesn't go over it in enough detail. He sidesteps the worst parts of the movement as obviously bad instead of discussing what happened outside the strange anti-male LGBT stuff he uses as an example.

Last edited:

theseeker

I know it was a huge talking point on 4chan's /vg/ board for awhile because people were finding pinching gestures in Gacha and MMO games made by Koreans which got some people fired but I don't know any particularly worthwhile papers or documents regarding them outside of >wikipedia. also I misspelled their name it's Megalia. There's also another movement called Womad which split off from Megalia,

Edit: @The Proctor I found a 4chan collage while digging for a particular clip in /vg/'s archives: https://arch-img.b4k.co/vg/1603481830990.jpg
It's posts from 2016 from a Korean 4chan Anon

Last edited:

Paladin

Just about everything I've seen has been locked behind a language bearer through a Wikipedia article are not too bad, surprisingly (Megalia)(WOMAD). Most of the videos on the EN side tend to hide the true extent of the crazy feminist shit to one extent or another. I would ask the Korean bros here for a bit more insight, as the videos I linked above are the best explanation I've seen outside of what was explained to me by Korean bros. The videos are also an autistic deep dive into Korean culture and history and serve as good primers on the subject.

Nenélove

Dying from mexican sickness
Early Adopter
Nene's Pet Latinx
Latinx/Latine
Any country where the vast majority of the population believes that fans consume fucking oxygen and will asphyxiate you if left on is a country I wouldn't call "sane" or any other word which approaches that one in meaning.
This is for all of the uninformed morons who keep reacting to this post: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fan_death I am not making shit up.

Top Bottom