"My name; E:R. The E is long, the colon is semi- but the R is hard"E;R

Vidya Games Thread

Awoogers

basic ass man who loves the british funny woman

Twin Adder

*dusts off his glass and puts them on*

View attachment 54443
View attachment 54444
If I am to read into this, it looks like a retro clone made by a tranny prostitute about being a prostitute. It has everything, it has it all.
375737374.jpg

I was just looking at random screenshots and apparently the game even has Mr. Crush himself. They really do have everything :crushface:

agility_

We have some serious streams to discuss 🔨
Early Adopter

View attachment 54443
View attachment 54444
If I am to read into this, it looks like a retro clone made by a tranny prostitute about being a prostitute. It has everything, it has it all.
We went from Gradius, Axelay, Turtles in Time, Castlevania, Star Fox, Contra, Mega Man... to whatever this shit is.
Scratch that, this stuff is necessary for heightening one's appreciation of what true games used to be.

God's Strongest Dragoon

I think regardless of whatever anyone thinks about Season of Discovery for Classic WoW, it is incredibly hilarious to hear Retail troons seething because Classic got Mage healers, Warlock tanks, Rogue tanks, and Shaman tanks before them.
:Vesper-UNHINGED:
Also they mentioned in an interview what the content phases will be: Phase 1 will be lvl 25, Phase 2 will be lvl 40, then lvl 50, and then lvl 60.

Last edited:

Kuri Rinji

Marlon Reis
The original WoW and the Burning Crusade are some of the most fun I had with gaming in my life. This new Season of Discovery thing reminds me of how the WoW Beta used to be where you could actually allocate stat points for your characters manually and create some goofy hybrids that sometimes worked, sometimes didn't.

It's at least worth checking out now.

God's Strongest Dragoon

The original WoW and the Burning Crusade are some of the most fun I had with gaming in my life. This new Season of Discovery thing reminds me of how the WoW Beta used to be where you could actually allocate stat points for your characters manually and create some goofy hybrids that sometimes worked, sometimes didn't.

It's at least worth checking out now.
It's pretty much diet Ascension WoW, which is actually a good thing because Blizzard is at their best when stealing other people's ideas (Guild War's mounts for Dragonflight, Warcraft 2 = Warhammer, Starcraft = 40k, Overwatch = TF2+MOBAs, etc).

You can make a lot of stupid specs with Ascension WoW because it's classless and Mystic enchants let you build some really dumb shit. I will say that SoD looks like it won't be as crazy (because Ascension has had several years of building up these designs and their classless system enables that even more) but Rune Engravings in SoD look to be infinitely more convenient to change and apply than Mystic Enchants in Ascension.

Kuri Rinji

Marlon Reis
After many weeks and reaching far into the past, I completed my TOP 50 vidya list. No particular order, just my favorites. I'm interested in seeing what's everyone's picks.

You can make your own list here: https://topsters.org/

chrome_LFn3CJDv8O.jpg

The Rrat

Phoneposting, Rat-loving menace
Early Adopter
It's pretty much diet Ascension WoW, which is actually a good thing because Blizzard is at their best when stealing other people's ideas (Guild War's mounts for Dragonflight, Warcraft 2 = Warhammer, Starcraft = 40k, Overwatch = TF2+MOBAs, etc).

You can make a lot of stupid specs with Ascension WoW because it's classless and Mystic enchants let you build some really dumb shit. I will say that SoD looks like it won't be as crazy (because Ascension has had several years of building up these designs and their classless system enables that even more) but Rune Engravings in SoD look to be infinitely more convenient to change and apply than Mystic Enchants in Ascension.
Season of Discovery seems really cool but I have worries:
  • Content: I can't see this having enough content to it.
  • Vanilla mechanics: I don't have the time to grind in *current year*
  • Blizzard: Do I need to explain?
I am just reluctant to do anything WOW-related. Having that feeling of constantly fighting the devs over what is and isn't good is just too exhausting.

After many weeks and reaching far into the past, I completed my TOP 50 vidya list. No particular order, just my favorites. I'm interested in seeing what's everyone's picks.

You can make your own list here: https://topsters.org/

View attachment 54569
Solid list. I wish I liked MGSV more than I do. I feel like I would have to turn off my brain completely to play that game again and enjoy it, though. Still salty about that game. Konami and Kojima really fucked it up: Konami because chapter 3 actually seemed good and Kojima because chapter 2 wasn't and for replacing Hayter.

Zapan1984

Aquatic Novellite

Freshwater Shiorin
Early Adopter
Not a big gamer, so I cannot provide a full fifty games.

Attachments

• chart.png
    chart.png
    3 MB · Views: 23

braindoko

Oh, the assylum has a video game thread, let's see what discussion they're hav-
So I check this "Indiecade" thing that Steam has on its frontpage thinking its some kind of Indie sale.

Not quite, Valve, stop having third parties advertise their awards show on your platform

For instance, a couple of the "winners"

View attachment 54367

View attachment 54443
View attachment 54444
simpsons-grandpa.gif

CalciumAnimal

Drink Milk
Oh, the assylum has a video game thread, let's see what discussion they're hav-

simpsons-grandpa.gif
and yet none of them are mocking goodbye volcano high ITS RIGHT THERE.

Failures all of you.

Saturnus

haha it's unou
and yet none of them are mocking goodbye volcano high ITS RIGHT THERE.

Failures all of you.
Is Goodbye Volcano High that one game that ripped its characters from that /v/ visual novel, Snoot Game?

MrProcessor

Soldier of Godrick
This list only counts for today.
Tomorrow the list would be different.
Yesterday the list would have been different.
But today, this is the list.
chart (2).png

(Edit: I already see many problems with this list. First, I need to cut Splatterhouse 2 and 3, because I should only have one game per series. I can replace those two games with Phelios and Sagaia since the list is lacking Shmups.)

(Edit 2: Hold up, I didn't put any GBA or DS Castlevanias? I suppose at least with Castlevania I followed the "one game in a series" rule.)

(Edit 3: I see the Megaman 3 picture is for Megaman Mobile 3. This is an error, it should be the NES game. No mobile game made my list.)

Last edited:

PleaseCheckYourReceipts

We went from Gradius, Axelay, Turtles in Time, Castlevania, Star Fox, Contra, Mega Man... to whatever this shit is.
Scratch that, this stuff is necessary for heightening one's appreciation of what true games used to be.

The mid to late 2000s had the massive Flash Game Boom. I thought that was going to lead to a lot more creative games in the future because it radically expanded the base of designers, as you didn't have to have a professional level of programming knowledge. Turns out the "better tools" has only led to a far worse place. When "Game Dev" became a trendy thing among Art Students, you know we were in for a mess.

Lee Crabb

Resident Liacon
Seems like the Escapist is in its death throes.

To be fair, I stopped taking The Escapist seriously after they gave Dragon Age 2 a perfect score, and that was over a decade ago.

thhrang

Punished Autism Extraordinaire
Early Adopter
Ward Security
♥Realticule's Husbando♥

Superduper Samurai

Early Adopter
Seems like the Escapist is in its death throes.

To be fair, I stopped taking The Escapist seriously after they gave Dragon Age 2 a perfect score, and that was over a decade ago.

>see discord

>first things besides regular chat channels things are role pickers
>its all faggy pronouns

lol,lmao

CalciumAnimal

Drink Milk
The mid to late 2000s had the massive Flash Game Boom. I thought that was going to lead to a lot more creative games in the future because it radically expanded the base of designers, as you didn't have to have a professional level of programming knowledge. Turns out the "better tools" has only led to a far worse place. When "Game Dev" became a trendy thing among Art Students, you know we were in for a mess.
most of the true creativity went "ok ive made a few successful flash games and even got hired by EA" and then a year later went "why the fuck did i ever want to work in games dev again"

I know at least 4 flash game devs went to work for EA hell one of them even collabed with EA before accepting a full hire. only one (the armed with wings dev) still exists and at least two others who wisely turned the offer down (before it was public knowledge EA were the true scum)

The ones I know went to Sega actually enjoyed the experience everyone knows about Sonic Mania by now i'm sure but sega has a long ass history of hiring fans at least Sega of america does.

The one I know was hired by Enix was never heard from again I assume they are still working in the artist mines making Yshtola a little thicker by one pixel every time she shows up.

Brosnan Pierce Brosnan

God's Strongest Smartass
Dizzy's Husband
One thing that we are facing in the arts, and a lot of things in general but specifically to this thread is the fact that limitations breed creativity. Just look into the history of Doom, leading up to it. Or the development of Quake, or SNES games. Any of those examples, walls were hit. However getting around that wall, climbing it or taking an alternate path in either design or programming lead to really cool stuff. You know what we got with the barriers down? The return of vapid point and clicks, copy pasted Metroid clones, walking sims. A lot of indie and quite frank now AAA and AA just take a prior design and they don't even try to innovate on it.

Look at Cyberpunk, they hit a wall hard. But instead of innovating or using that as a benchmark they just kept going, they kept asking for delays for "future hardware". When the design was the problem. They thought they could get away with anything, and instead of breaking down that wall they got humbled by it. Meanwhile Ubisoft, EA, they formed the wall and are content to stay within it.

Those low barrier walking sims and metroid clones? The wall is never considered. They have their design already done for them. The new barrier is making overly creative games which to be frank, most devs are not designers these days it seems. Not in the classic sense. And designing something fresh is difficult as with each new fresh spin, each unique idea... well thats one more off the board.

EDIT: If I were to be so bold, I was around during the heyday of the Xbox 360. Now every dev on the planet is going to disagree with this take I'm about to take but when the Super Meat Boy creators got Microsoft to up the filesize limit on XBLA it sowed the seeds of doom for that platform. The file limit WAS a barrier limitation. And with that gone a lot of the uniqueness of those games was lost until you just had AA games on it, then AAA then boom. Gone, dead platform.

Top Bottom