"Why do the cute ones have to be the rapists?"Tomoe Umari

Vidya Games Thread

God's Strongest Dragoon

Onaga is in Reiko's ending in case you were wondering. He's also mentioned in some pre-fight dialogue.
I wasn't aware of Reiko's ending but isn't his mentioning in pre-fight dialogue basically people mentioning alternate timeline Onagas? Onaga is pretty much the best route they have going forward, hopefully they actually give him that focus in MKTWO. If they were patient, they could just make the whole struggle that sets up his return be the next game but knowing NRS, they'd speedrun that by the end of the second arc and then defeat Onaga by the end of that game right after they introduce him.

CalciumAnimal

Drink Milk
I wasn't aware of Reiko's ending but isn't his mentioning in pre-fight dialogue basically people mentioning alternate timeline Onagas? Onaga is pretty much the best route they have going forward, hopefully they actually give him that focus in MKTWO. If they were patient, they could just make the whole struggle that sets up his return be the next game but knowing NRS, they'd speedrun that by the end of the second arc and then defeat Onaga by the end of that game right after they introduce him.
bold of you to assume they won't Kotal Khan him

Punished Anime Discusser

Early Adopter
Shitty story and cast aside, I find it un-fucking-believable that we're, what, seven games into NRS as a game dev studio, and every game past Injustice 1 had absolutely retarded budgets, giant fucking teams, and the animation is still so completely dogshit. I just don't get it.

The jumping animation is still every character just farting to propel themselves into the air because NOBODY BENDS THEIR FUCKING KNEES OR SPINE IN THIS GAME, FOR THE SEVENTH GAME IN A FUCKING ROW. Why did most characters lose their unique jumps as well? Where'd Kitana's weird goblin flip go? Why do none of the characters lift up their fucking feet when running, dashing or moving forward with an attack? It's a game with no animation cancelling, and yet so many preset chains have animations snap into key poses with nothing in between. Yeah, I get you need fast animations for framedata reasons, but holy shit nigga, just hand-animate something that looks fast, don't take mocapped animations and then speed them up, that looks horrible.

I mean, it's an improvement over the previous game, all of their releases were animated better than the one that came before, but they're basically climbing from absolute rock bottom to somewhere around Finnish AA PS2 game nobody's ever heard of tier. Another 10-12 releases and they might catch up to Street Fighter 4's worst, or Tekken 7's literal reused PS1 animations.

Awoogers

basic ass man who loves the british funny woman
Holy mother of Christ how is ares real

Even the bad ares can fuck me up by spamming chains like god knows how long and farts on my face like I owe the god of war fucking money

And the fact that he can somehow pull me when I'm ulting as Jing wei is fucking bs

But then again I played Jing wei maybe it was hubris on my part

CalciumAnimal

Drink Milk
Holy mother of Christ how is ares real

Even the bad ares can fuck me up by spamming chains like god knows how long and farts on my face like I owe the god of war fucking money

And the fact that he can somehow pull me when I'm ulting as Jing wei is fucking bs

But then again I played Jing wei maybe it was hubris on my part
Exactly why i went back to league. there is no REASONABLE counterplay to ares bullshit you have to take the self cleanse spell everytime and only use it for his stupid ult. which puts you on the backfoot because right from the get go you are down one of your options.

It's bad game design and your whole team has to do this and if they play well and all cleanse his ult it feels bad for Them to just have their ult stuffed like that not that it matters it's CD is vastly lower then the cleanse CD is so next time they use it your screwed.

Awoogers

Exactly why i went back to league. there is no REASONABLE counterplay to ares bullshit you have to take the self cleanse spell everytime and only use it for his stupid ult. which puts you on the backfoot because right from the get go you are down one of your options.

It's bad game design and your whole team has to do this and if they play well and all cleanse his ult it feels bad for Them to just have their ult stuffed like that not that it matters it's CD is vastly lower then the cleanse CD is so next time they use it your screwed.
Yeah it is

But other than that the game is genuinely fun that particular game lasted like a fucking hour and it was close with both open titans

Haven't had that kind of fun in a while

CalciumAnimal

Drink Milk
Yeah it is

But other than that the game is genuinely fun that particular game lasted like a fucking hour and it was close with both open titans

Haven't had that kind of fun in a while
it is a fun game don't get me wrong but design choices like ares are all over the place just less obvious. I vastly prefer Smite's jungle if i'm being honest and some of it's creativity pays off.

Awoogers

it is a fun game don't get me wrong but design choices like ares are all over the place just less obvious. I vastly prefer Smite's jungle if i'm being honest and some of it's creativity pays off.
The fact that you can build attack speed on mages and melt towers like butter is genuinely funny

CalciumAnimal

Drink Milk
The fact that you can build attack speed on mages and melt towers like butter is genuinely funny
Lulu exists if your a degenerate.

Awoogers

Stunned But Dumb

This is what FG commentary is like nowadays?
Sometimes... Yeah...

Edit: I neglected to read everything else before I commented but yeah, Invasions is kind of... eh. Wish it were better. I really enjoyed the story mode until the final chapter. The novelty and humor of it all just doesn't grab me long term like I would like for it to. I admit I was honestly really invested in the bloody outworld coup story that was going on before we speedran to armageddon. I might be in the minority, but I actually really like the Kameo system and am more interested in seeing more Kameos than actual characters, oddly enough. I'd still rather have Jax, Sonya, and Kano as playable.

Also the second part of the game (lol) got leaked a bit ago. I cannot remember all the details, but:
Basically Bi Han goes off and does some dumb crap that turns him into Noob Saibot and Cyrax and Sektor ask Kuai Liang to come help save him. I don't recall (or care) too much about the rest. I assume Onaga is going to be there somewhere because all of the tower endings are canon this time (sort of a where are they now after the story) and Shao Khan and Reiko do a prison break to go and tame Onaga to take over Outworld.
I do know the leaked dlc characters are Sektor, Noob Saibot, Cyrax (now as a woman), someone else, and Ghostface (as in from Scream) and not in that order.

I don't know, I vastly enjoy actually playing against people in this game as opposed to MK11, but it still feels empty? It feels like a fighter that came out in late 10s. Very pretty but beholden to the burdens of a severe lack of interesting content. The worst thing is it feels as if they tried and just failed when it comes to that. Like they're not sure how to put together an MK game that grabs everyone anymore. I've played fangames with more content and secrets and fun stuff outside of the actual fighting.

There's more I wanted to say, but I kind of got lost in it all. I don't think I'd be playing this if my friend wasn't tbh

Last edited:

Harrow Prime

Among Other Names.
Early Adopter
Kronii's Husband
I am omnipresent.
What's even more fucked up is I also picked up something related to a guy named Nolan a few seconds before. Why do you people gotta choose usernames related to some of the most random shit in the real world? One day I will be in my 80s playing Destiny 3.5: Remix: Remake and I'll hear mention of how the "Bay Lurker" was arrested along with a guy whose nickname is Scoots during a police raid. When I do I will officially enter a vegetative state as I realize that I never left the asylum.:BijouBijou:

agility_

We have some serious streams to discuss 🔨
Early Adopter
MK Shaolin Monks on the PS2 was the last time I put time into a mortal kombat game. I thought about getting into the one with all the horror characters, as it seemed like a neat idea. Then I came to my senses and realized the novelty would wear off within a week.

God's Strongest Dragoon

I don't know, I vastly enjoy actually playing against people in this game as opposed to MK11, but it still feels empty? It feels like a fighter that came out in late 10s. Very pretty but beholden to the burdens of a severe lack of interesting content. The worst thing is it feels as if they tried and just failed when it comes to that. Like they're not sure how to put together an MK game that grabs everyone anymore. I've played fangames with more content and secrets and fun stuff outside of the actual fighting.
The Krypt was always a big point for keeping people engaged after they finished the story and they just jettisoned that shit for "Endless Tower Mode with a different name". MKX had a pretty linear 1st-person Krypt with jumpscares but it was still pretty fun to explore. Despite all of MK11's flaws, they really went deep for the Krypt and made it a 3rd-person exploration game with puzzles. The only major issues with MK11's Krypt was that they purposely designed it to take WAY too long and there was a bunch of shit they shoved in the Krypt that wasn't collectibles (skins/fatalities/etc) but was instead random power-ups to use in Tower modes.

Previous MK games tried out a bunch of little minigames/side content to do. Deception had Konquest mode, which was a whole adventure mode that used the game's fighting system when necessary. They had some cool stuff like Chess Kombat, which was Chess but you fought with the pieces and health is carried over in fights. Some pieces had special functions (like the bishop can cast spells like Healing pieces, Pawns are numerous but only have 40% HP). There was also Puzzle Kombat, which was Tetris with special abilities. Meanwhile Armageddon had a Kreate-a-Fighter system and Motor Kombat (pretty much Mario Kart). MK9 had a lot of options with Challenge Towers (think Smash Bros Melee challenges), Test your Might stuff, and tag-team mode. Tag team was far more interesting than the Kameo system because it had "tag assists" like the Kameo system but it also allowed you to actually swap characters out mid combat and extend combos. Even more interesting was that the tag team mode allowed you to play 4-player Mortal Kombat in teams of 2v2.

They had a lot of options to go with for side content but instead shoved in an Endless Tower with scenary called Invasion mode, all so they can do "seasonal invasions" to try to FOMO players. The Kameo system has the same problem that the Trophy and Mii fighter system had in Smash Ultimate, where people see their desired character in those systems and get annoyed because it pretty much hard deconfirms them ever coming as a DLC character. It doesn't help that the Kameo system is pretty much a worse tag team mode.

MK Shaolin Monks on the PS2 was the last time I put time into a mortal kombat game. I thought about getting into the one with all the horror characters, as it seemed like a neat idea. Then I came to my senses and realized the novelty would wear off within a week.
You mean MKX? Pretty much each of the new games mostly followed a "theme" with the guest DLC fighters. MKX was horror characters (Predator, Leatherface, Jason, Xenomorph), MK11 was Action characters (Terminator, RoboCop, Rambo), and MKONE is looking to be comic characters (Homelander, Omni-Man, Peacemaker).

Last edited:

CalciumAnimal

Drink Milk

Punished Anime Discusser

Early Adopter
GAME DEVS AND QA TESTERS UNIONIZE, THEY CAN'T FIRE US ALL!

1696503455239.png

Awoogers

God olorun is such a fun god to play

You go monkey and melt towers like butter

agility_

We have some serious streams to discuss 🔨
Early Adopter

Punished Anime Discusser

Early Adopter
At times I am reminded QA in the industry ranks lower than office supplies. I would much rather work at a fast food drive thru, for the variety.
And the QA industry will never improve, because there's always some impressionable 20 year-old willing to work for dirt wages and in horrible conditions because he's trying to use a QA job as a stepping stone into the actual games industry.

God's Strongest Dragoon

Let's see if Blizzard can go 2 for 2 for games on Steam with "Overwhelmingly Negative". Even trying to get that Halloween season boost by releasing it mid October on Steam.
:ironmousekek:

Top Bottom