"'Nothing beats a ground pound' That's funny because you guys know- that's actually WHAT I DID TO YOUR MOM LAST NIGHT"Amelia Watson

Vidya Games Thread

Abomination

The abominable amalgamation known as "chyaaat!"
Again with the critically acclaimed shit.
:whatastory:

I'm really loving the occasional discussion threads from shills asking people not to review bomb the game or how Blizzard doesn't deserve the hate.

Speaking of another disappointing game being re-released through Steam, I was excited to see Tony Hawk Pro Skater 1 + 2 released on Steam recently, only to be very disappointed to see it's always online for some dumb reason. Thankfully, I saw people mention this because I was about to buy it for $20. Would have been a great one to play on my Steam Deck when I have some down time at work or something, but I can't do that without an Internet connection, I guess.

So, I'll just stick with emulating the original PS1 versions, along with the other games since that still seems to be the best way to play them in 2023 outside of the original hardware. Saves me the money, I guess.

God's Strongest Dragoon

I'm really loving the occasional discussion threads from shills asking people not to review bomb the game or how Blizzard doesn't deserve the hate.

Speaking of another disappointing game being re-released through Steam, I was excited to see Tony Hawk Pro Skater 1 + 2 released on Steam recently, only to be very disappointed to see it's always online for some dumb reason. Thankfully, I saw people mention this because I was about to buy it for $20. Would have been a great one to play on my Steam Deck when I have some down time at work or something, but I can't do that without an Internet connection, I guess.

So, I'll just stick with emulating the original PS1 versions, along with the other games since that still seems to be the best way to play them in 2023 outside of the original hardware. Saves me the money, I guess.
The worst part about the Tony Hawk remake is that the dev that worked on it, Vicarious Visions, got moved from under Activision's management to being folded into Blizzard as Blizzard Albany to assist other teams with their shit projects. So we're never going to get Tony Hawk Pro Skater 3+4 or a remake of Underground.

You know Blizzard is a shit company when people wish you were still under Activision's management.

The Rrat

Phoneposting, Rat-loving menace
Early Adopter
Vicarious Visions
Vicarious Visions was a talented team that did great remaster/remake/ports. They got moved from Activision to Blizzard to help Blizzard Team 3 with D2 Resurrected and eventually D4 because the lead team was flubbing both massively. It's a shame they got merged with the team where they will likely not have a chance to do anything good ever again, if they haven't already all quit, anyway.

God's Strongest Dragoon

Vicarious Visions was a talented team that did great remaster/remake/ports. They got moved from Activision to Blizzard to help Blizzard Team 3 with D2 Resurrected and eventually D4 because the lead team was flubbing both massively. It's a shame they got merged with the team where they will likely not have a chance to do anything good ever again, if they haven't already all quit, anyway.
VV didn't help with the D2 Remake, VV completely took over after Blizzard Team 1 got disbanded and dissolved among the company because they were fucking it up so badly. I don't play Diablo but I heard the remake was done well. Unfortunately the major thing that pissed people off was the servers going to shit, which was yet again Blizzard's fault.

Thomas Talus

Εκ λόγου άλλος εκβαίνει λόγος
Early Adopter
VV helped make Warmind through Season of Opulence for Destiny 2, which had some of the best content the game has ever seen.

CalciumAnimal

Drink Milk

These are the brainlets that think blizzard is being unfairly attacked because Lucifer CodPiece is actual human waste. Who think that Dioblo 4 is the BEST GAEM EVAR and who have never touched 2 let alone one because they are sooooo old. Also how dare you be mean to 3 for being an inferior Gauntlet The Dark Legacy. As if a shit CEO and broken ass games are mutually exclusive.

Harrow Prime

Among Other Names.
Early Adopter
Kronii's Husband
VV helped make Warmind through Season of Opulence for Destiny 2, which had some of the best content the game has ever seen.
You’re right, but it’s for the best that Curse of Osiris and Warmind are ignored.:BijouBijou:

Not sure how many would agree with me, but I do think Forsaken to Opulence was Destiny at it’s peak. The content was actually good and there was actually shit to do that mattered then.

Thomas Talus

Εκ λόγου άλλος εκβαίνει λόγος
Early Adopter
Not sure how many would agree with me, but I do think Forsaken to Opulence was Destiny at it’s peak. The content was actually good and there was actually shit to do that mattered then.
I think that's not far off base. Season of the Drifter had problems (but also Zero Hour, which was one of the Peak Destiny moments), and there have been some genuinely good seasons and expansions since then (Dawn, Arrivals, Witch Queen, Seraph), but the model has worn out its welcome. There have been some great guns and more impressive PvE ability stuff since then, but something about the activities and overall delivery was never the same.

UberSoldat

I hope Bungie moves on from D2 after Final Shape to other projects. D2 was fun while it lasted but the engine is already long outdated and the gameplay loop hasn't changed much since the beginning.

I also hope Marathon doesn't end up a disaster. I hope........

CalciumAnimal

Drink Milk
I hope Bungie moves on from D2 after Final Shape to other projects. D2 was fun while it lasted but the engine is already long outdated and the gameplay loop hasn't changed much since the beginning.

Look even if they do a "ok yeah thats Marathon" job they will definitely fuck around with some of the writing OG bungie is along dead anyone willing to tardwrangle modern bungie writers is long gone (see Desntiny 2) part of the fun is trying to make sense of those terminal logs piece together the fuck is going on.

The best I can hope for is. Actual level music (bring back Power of Seven) Voice acting for the Ai's (nothing else) and pray to fuck the only changes they mnake to the "story" are maybe some new levels/layouts and ADDITIONAL Terminals (that way if the new content sucks you can ignore it)

node

Santa's Little Diversity Hire
Look even if they do a "ok yeah thats Marathon" job they will definitely fuck around with some of the writing OG bungie is along dead anyone willing to tardwrangle modern bungie writers is long gone (see Desntiny 2) part of the fun is trying to make sense of those terminal logs piece together the fuck is going on.

The best I can hope for is. Actual level music (bring back Power of Seven) Voice acting for the Ai's (nothing else) and pray to fuck the only changes they mnake to the "story" are maybe some new levels/layouts and ADDITIONAL Terminals (that way if the new content sucks you can ignore it)
The whole "Marathon is back" thing makes me really suspicious of MandaloreGaming. For anyone who doesn't know, he's a guy who did a review on Marathon 1, 2 and "Infinity" about a year ago. Supposedly there are links to get the games free at the top of the description as well. Almost like that'd be the perfect guerilla marketing campaign to have 2 hours worth of retrospectives with ~4 million views before releasing info about the remake.

Combine that with his shilling of Total War Warhammer 3 which was meh until it turned into a trashfire due to CA scrapping Hyenas and needing to milk TWW for even MORE money than usual to stay afloat, and it's all very strange.

I'll be sure he's got industry connections if there's a "Homeworld" or "Arcanum" remake released in the next year.

Harrow Prime

Among Other Names.
Early Adopter
Kronii's Husband

Well they pretty much said that there's more Destiny shit after The Final Shape, so that's not happening. At the very least they should release a Destiny 3 somewhere down the road to continue whatever it is they got after the end of TFS. New engine, maybe, but definitely try to take the series in a new direction. As for Marathon, I don't know a single thing about it, but given it's meant to be an extraction shooter my hopes for enjoying it are low.

CalciumAnimal

Drink Milk
The whole "Marathon is back" thing makes me really suspicious of MandaloreGaming. For anyone who doesn't know, he's a guy who did a review on Marathon 1, 2 and "Infinity" about a year ago. Supposedly there are links to get the games free at the top of the description as well. Almost like that'd be the perfect guerilla marketing campaign to have 2 hours worth of retrospectives with ~4 million views before releasing info about the remake.

Combine that with his shilling of Total War Warhammer 3 which was meh until it turned into a trashfire due to CA scrapping Hyenas and needing to milk TWW for even MORE money than usual to stay afloat, and it's all very strange.

I'll be sure he's got industry connections if there's a "Homeworld" or "Arcanum" remake released in the next year.
I mean he does (he says he does often enough) but both Marathon and Total Warhammer were video topics because everyone knew about themworking on something (the remakes were pretty known by the public at the time and as for Total Warhammer 3 they announced a release date for it by time he has finished scripting 2) its also why he covered system shock.

If your even slightly paying attention you can learn what games are coming long before they are announced usually through looking at patent registries. It's also at least ONE reason why companies like to horde IP's they can register a bunch at once to try to hide which one they are actually working on (though this ends up being pointless)

node

I mean he does (he says he does often enough) but both Marathon and Total Warhammer were video topics because everyone knew about themworking on something (the remakes were pretty known by the public at the time and as for Total Warhammer 3 they announced a release date for it by time he has finished scripting 2) its also why he covered system shock.

If your even slightly paying attention you can learn what games are coming long before they are announced usually through looking at patent registries. It's also at least ONE reason why companies like to horde IP's they can register a bunch at once to try to hide which one they are actually working on (though this ends up being pointless)
I don't mean "industry connections" as in "I've got friends who tell me things ahead of time, or get my audience deals" more "I have a friend who paid me 30k to shill this oldie game his company bought the IP of so people who like the idea of retro games can pretend to like the shit sequel". That's why I didn't care about the System shock one because he was upfront about the Nightdive remake heavily influencing his coverage.

And TWW3 it wasn't anything in particular tbh, it's just they've dropped a dookie of a dlc that was expensive and worse than Free DLC from the second. I'm just growing sour as I realize that 90% of content on the internet is either direct advertising or guerilla advertising.

CalciumAnimal

Drink Milk
I don't mean "industry connections" as in "I've got friends who tell me things ahead of time, or get my audience deals" more "I have a friend who paid me 30k to shill this oldie game his company bought the IP of so people who like the idea of retro games can pretend to like the shit sequel". That's why I didn't care about the System shock one because he was upfront about the Nightdive remake heavily influencing his coverage.

And TWW3 it wasn't anything in particular tbh, it's just they've dropped a dookie of a dlc that was expensive and worse than Free DLC from the second. I'm just growing sour as I realize that 90% of content on the internet is either direct advertising or guerilla advertising.
we all live in a capitalist society.

Punished Anime Discusser

Early Adopter

Holy shit nigga what the fuck are you smoking?

The "free marathon" links are to AlephOne which are open source fan-ports of the games which have been around for twenty years. He also mentions plenty of reasons why you wouldn't want to play the original Marathon games. What fucking Marathon remake nigga? It's a Tarkov-clone that has nothing to do with the original games except some lore and artistic bits.

He didn't even recommend TotalWaWa3, he said it'd be an OK game if it wasn't buggy as fuck and unbalanced, and had they actually fixed some of the issues from TWW2, and to wait for fixes before buying it, maybe try it out on gamepass at best. He also made a review for it when it came out, not a week ago, which is when Hyenas imploded.

The Homeworld and Arcanum reviews happened because people have been asking him to do those for years. You're also immensely retarded if you think Arcanum is EVER getting any kind of remake. Troika has been dead for over 18 years, ACTIVISION has the rights to it, and nobody is going to pick up a niche-as-all-hell CRPG that didn't even sell all that well.

IdenticalPlateaus

Oh boy! I can't wait for "Ring" to get remade!

node

Obvious I touched a nerve. I'll leave the thread e-daddy alone from now on.

CalciumAnimal

Drink Milk
Obvious I touched a nerve. I'll leave the thread e-daddy alone from now on.
Dude you outed yourself of having no understanding of how game reviewership works that several people are calling you out on it and then you acting like were the ones with the problem.

Don't say stupid shit don't spread lies and rumors and have at least basic understanding before opening your lip or at least don't act surprised when you get bent over like the cheapest whore for your efforts.

Yes people get paid to review games Yes those paid reviews tend to happen around new releases No people arenot OBLIGATED to shill for a game just because they got paid most reviewers make it clear if they took a sponsorship deal or not Massive payouts to shill a game do not happen to channels like mandy and i don't think hes stupid enough to cash his rep in for well cash even if he lives in a shithole.

PleaseCheckYourReceipts

The new Marathon game is a Tarkov-like. The universe actually lends itself oddly well to the concept, but it's really important to understand that no one understands Marathon. Not even the original Bungie creative team. Especially given it has all the hallmarks of a 12-pack of Redbull fueled writing session. But, that's why it's perfect for Bungie. It's the only other IP they own, it sits out there vaguely in the mythos of gaming history for a large chunk of people with money to spend.

Really curious, now, who owns the Zork IP. Considering Fable seems like it's in development hell right now, there's room for the "oh yeah, I've heard of that" IP marketing. Not sure anything Zork would work these days, but, hey, who knows.

There's basically always been Homeworld projects under development since the launch of 1. And Mandalore likes Total War Warhammer. His review channel was always just an excuse to talk about games he likes, but it's evolved. Weirdly.

Well they pretty much said that there's more Destiny shit after The Final Shape, so that's not happening. At the very least they should release a Destiny 3 somewhere down the road to continue whatever it is they got after the end of TFS. New engine, maybe, but definitely try to take the series in a new direction. As for Marathon, I don't know a single thing about it, but given it's meant to be an extraction shooter my hopes for enjoying it are low.

Bungie really can't drop D2. It's their only money maker and they're stuck making it. The problem with a Live Service game that takes off is that it consumers a developer and they can't really work on anything else. They've likely had to massive scale up to have enough of a team to work on the Marathon game, but it's like from the bones of the Destiny 3 game they likely had spent time trying to develop.

If they do actually make a Destiny 3, it'll be after they can move to the next console generation. So it'd span this one + next.

Top Bottom