"We did it! We won a wigger race!"Oozora Subaru

Vidya Games Thread

Awoogers

basic ass man who loves the british funny woman
Voodoo Vodun Vodou w/e you want to call it have a ton of overlap because most Loa are aspects as viewed as part of life and death and also those aspects affect other aspects which change the Loa in turn.

Baron Semedi and Maman Brigitte both govern life and death Brigitte is the aspect of the afterlife specifically and that it's in SIMPLE terms an eternal party which reflects on Baron Semedi making him also a death party god in many stories while also being specifically the protector of the "boundary" between life and death.

I am very much over simplifying this explanation

TLDR it's a cool pantheon.
As someone who's read a fuckton of mythos growing up I'm biased in saying that all pantheons are so fucking cool like yeah it's not all rainbows and definitely a lot of fucked up shit(looking at you specifically Greek mythos) the fact that I haven't started on this game as early as it was released feels like a crime on my childhood monkey brain doused with Percy Jackson

Punished Anime Discusser

Early Adopter
1696167560903.png
I haven't played the game in years and years, and am surprised it's even still around considering it's a HiRez game, but I'm sure we'll get more Slavic Gods than this one day.
Haha.

Arthurian fucking legend has like five characters and slavs get two, fucking HiRez.

Awoogers

View attachment 48042
I haven't played the game in years and years, and am surprised it's even still around considering it's a HiRez game, but I'm sure we'll get more Slavic Gods than this one day.
Haha.

Arthurian fucking legend has like five characters and slavs get two, fucking HiRez.
I mean paladins is still alive all things considered and as old as smite is it's still a successful title for the most part

Then again you look at how many Chinese/Mayan gods are in the game then you look at my squid boy Cthulhu

My guy is the only one in the great old ones faction and that's even considering we only had like 2 or so in the polynesian

Punished Anime Discusser

Early Adopter
I mean paladins is still alive all things considered and as old as smite is it's still a successful title for the most part

Then again you look at how many Chinese/Mayan gods are in the game then you look at my squid boy Cthulhu

My guy is the only one in the great old ones faction and that's even considering we only had like 2 or so in the polynesian
Paladins being alive and well is an absolute anomaly considering how many times HiRez fumbled on that one and made terrible updates that would've killed any other game. Especially the Cards Unbound update.

Chinese/Mayan gods are there because MOBAs are extremely popular with Chinks and LATAM people. There's a reason every MOBA ever made has a Sun Wukong and a fuckload of CNY skins.

Awoogers

Paladins being alive and well is an absolute anomaly considering how many times HiRez fumbled on that one and made terrible updates that would've killed any other game. Especially the Cards Unbound update.

Chinese/Mayan gods are there because MOBAs are extremely popular with Chinks and LATAM people. There's a reason every MOBA ever made has a Sun Wukong and a fuckload of CNY skins.
I've been playing paladins since forever and yeah as broken as it is it's still alive and well and has a loyal fanbase

And yeah as someone from SEA it's basically in people's lifeblood to play MOBAs but then again one of the most recognizable and popular mythos is by far the Greek so it directly translates to the game as it plays to the mind of the curious on mythos or just moba junkies

Other mythos like say lovecraftian or Celtic is more on the junkies on the subject or someone who's clearly not sane to wade through texts a hundred years old to read mythos and other adjacent materials

CalciumAnimal

Drink Milk
View attachment 48042
Haha.

because arthurian legend has a shit ton of books and shit to pull from and most are translated slavic lore is mostly oral tradition alot of the writings are unknown or untranslated

Also from a game making stand point what's gonna make Koschei different from any other "deathless" god.

MrProcessor

Soldier of Godrick

I worry the next GTA won't be worthy of an Elite Miko.

Harrow Prime

Among Other Names.
Early Adopter
Kronii's Husband
I stopped playing Mortal Kombat after MKX. This is what FG commentary is like nowadays?

also it's fucked up that I take a day away to play some more Cyberpunk and I loot an item called Jambalaya. The fuck is this shit?

CalciumAnimal

Drink Milk
I stopped playing Mortal Kombat after MKX. This is what FG commentary is like nowadays?

also it's fucked up that I take a day away to play some more Cyberpunk and I loot an item called Jambalaya. The fuck is this shit?

MK sucks everyone knows it sucks so the commentators desperately oversell everything because they are paid to SF6 blew MK1 out of the water everyone knows it and jumped ship to the superior game the people left playing MK1 are either die hard fans or know there is no real competition left for the game (easy tourney wins) because again everyone is enjoying street fighter.

Punished Anime Discusser

Early Adopter
MK sucks everyone knows it sucks so the commentators desperately oversell everything because they are paid to SF6 blew MK1 out of the water everyone knows it and jumped ship to the superior game the people left playing MK1 are either die hard fans or know there is no real competition left for the game (easy tourney wins) because again everyone is enjoying street fighter.
There's a reason 99.% of the MK competitive scene is chocolate milk elementals and the most whitetrash motherfuckers imaginable.

Anyways, MH World is a dogshit game that seems passable until you get to the endgame of base World. And Lunastra is probably one of the worst redesigns I've ever seen for an enemy in a videogame. Behemoth can go back to killing retarded burger kings in Labyrinth Of The Ancients, because that fucking aborted creature getting a positive reception genuinely ruined every "difficult" monster added after it. This inspired by me dying to Lunastra in the Lunastra + Teostra fight after Lunastra did four supernovas in a row somehow.

edit: Beat that shit on the third attempt, doesn't make Lunastra any less of an abortion. I had done this when World was actually new, and also beat most of the ATs and other endgame cancer back then, but it seems I had just shoved it out of my brain due kusoge-induced trauma. Can't believe I forgot that the endgame for this was so horrific it made me appreciate the Apex monsters and the procedurally generated grinding quests from MH4U.

Last edited:

That Guy Over There

It's time to Moom
There's a reason 99.% of the MK competitive scene is chocolate milk elementals and the most whitetrash motherfuckers imaginable.

Anyways, MH World is a dogshit game that seems passable until you get to the endgame of base World. And Lunastra is probably one of the worst redesigns I've ever seen for an enemy in a videogame. Behemoth can go back to killing retarded burger kings in Labyrinth Of The Ancients, because that fucking aborted creature getting a positive reception genuinely ruined every "difficult" monster added after it. This inspired by me dying to Lunastra in the Lunastra + Teostra fight after Lunastra did four supernovas in a row somehow.
I suggest cheesing the fuck out of lunastra and teo, they really can't do anything when their heads are constantly covered in sticky ammo from light bowguns.
I remember in one fight a friend and I had ko'd teo 9 times in about 10 mins using two sticky lbg builds.
I will agree that the behemoth fight is bullshit, same for the ancient leshen.

Harrow Prime

Among Other Names.
Early Adopter
Kronii's Husband

Yeah base world has some endgame issues that I never bothered doing, and Lunastra is a fucking piece of shit, that much everybody can agree on. Iceborne does a good job at having a better endgame I feel. Probably what saved it for me.

Punished Anime Discusser

Early Adopter

1696301879466.png

Any opinions from my Spix hombres and chicas over the move that will definitely save Bungie and Destiny, for real, for real this time.

node

Santa's Little Diversity Hire

Brosnan Pierce Brosnan

God's Strongest Smartass
Dizzy's Husband
Goddamn, first it was Spanish and now I have to learn Hispanic. When will this madness end!?!??!

God's Strongest Dragoon

I am omnipresent.
The only reason MK has ever had an audience was because of the casual fun, the B-movie fun story mode, and the gore. In terms of casual fun, they completely scrapped the Krypt for some retarded "Invasion" mode that's pretty much just an endless tower where you walk a straight path to each fight instead of going up a tower (fucking Idol Showdown had a better version of this). For the past several games they fucked the story up so hard that it's not even B-movie "it's so bad, it's good" and it's just blatantly bad. The gore/violence isn't even interesting any more because everyone is desensitized to it and it's stopped being fun/goofy/cool fatalities and more "watch me kill this guy in 1 uninteresting attack and then desecrate the body".

To top it all off, the roster has sucked dick for the past two games as they jettison a bunch of fan favorites every fucking game in favor of shit that no one fucking wants. It also rubs people the wrong way when their mains across several games are just chilling as Kameo Fighters (Jax, Sonya, Kano) or the character that they hoped would return is a fucking Kameo Fighter (Stryker, Sektor, Cyrax). Even if we get cool characters that everyone begged for, they fuck it up (Nitara and Havik). It doesn't help that the Kameo Fighters bullshit is just another layer of complexity that people don't care about nor want to interact with but is a foundational part of the game. So instead of getting a tag team game mode that everyone asked for, we get this "assist" move system stuffed into every part of the game.

So yeah, they fucked up all the things that made people enjoy their games and removed the characters that people just enjoy to play. SF6 being good is just extra salt in the wound, especially with Capcom willing to have attractive female characters while NRS wants their women to wear burqas. The only saving grace is some of the cool parts of the story mode before it goes full Marvel Multiverse shitmode but people can just watch a youtube video for the story instead of paying $70.

Last edited:

CalciumAnimal

Drink Milk
I am omnipresent.

The only reason MK has ever had an audience was because of the casual fun, the B-movie fun story mode, and the gore. In terms of casual fun, they completely scrapped the Krypt for some retarded "Invasion" mode that's pretty much just an endless tower where you walk a straight path to each fight instead of going up a tower (fucking Idol Showdown had a better version of this). For the past several games they fucked the story up so hard that it's not even B-movie "it's so bad, it's good" and it's just blatantly bad. The gore/violence isn't even interesting any more because everyone is desensitized to it and it's stopped being fun/goofy/cool fatalities and more "watch me kill this guy in 1 uninteresting attack and then desecrate the body".

To top it all off, the roster has sucked dick for the past two games as they jettison a bunch of fan favorites every fucking game in favor of shit that no one fucking wants. It also rubs people the wrong way when their mains across several games are just chilling as Kameo Fighters (Jax, Sonya, Kano) or the character that they hoped would return is a fucking Kameo Fighter (Stryker, Sektor, Cyrax). Even if we get cool characters that everyone begged for, they fuck it up (Nitara and Havik). It doesn't help that the Kameo Fighters bullshit is just another layer of complexity that people don't care about nor want to interact with but is a foundational part of the game. So instead of getting a tag team game mode that everyone asked for, we get this "assist" move system stuffed into every part of the game.

So yeah, they fucked up all the things that made people enjoy their games and removed the characters that people just enjoy to play. SF6 being good is just extra salt in the wound, especially with Capcom willing to have attractive female characters while NRS wants their women to wear burqas. The only saving grace is the some cool parts of the story mode before it goes full Marvel Multiverse shitmode but people can just watch a youtube video for the story instead of paying $70.
Dispite the cries of BETRAYAL Injustice is really the franchise they should of kept work on the dumbass Kameo system would be more forgivable in a superhero game where pandering to it's players only get's them more invested not less.

It also tends to lean into dumb fun a lot more since it's so divorced from MK's GRIMDERP by its own nature.

Remember when people were actually excited to hear MKONE was going back to the basics scrapping the story entirely and going back to a basic fighting tourney (that most fighting games are because it's fun and it works as justification) and then were depressed to learn that was not the case it was yet another reboot in the continuity of reboots that keeps happening because their own stupid lore must be adhered to

as devicive as Tekken is sometimes (screwing over certain characters) keeping the story in the backround is the right call for most fighting games. Guilty Gear does it Street Fighter does it (though arguably 6 did something at least slightly new) and it's been doing it for years with a MUCH LARGER CAST.

The only story focused fighting games I can think of are Soul Caliber (works because they play it out as a journey with a specific end point) Injustice (dumb and stupid but get's leeway for being comic book stuff) and some one off games from the genesis era (Eternal champions anyone?)

Maybe im biased here but MK does not deserve to exist in it's current state as one of the "big fighting game franchises" give us more soul caliber give us more samsho hell Dragonball Fighterz with it's broken ass boss characters or Skullgirls also deserve followups.

MrProcessor

Soldier of Godrick
The only story focused fighting games I can think of are Soul Caliber (works because they play it out as a journey with a specific end point) Injustice (dumb and stupid but get's leeway for being comic book stuff) and some one off games from the genesis era (Eternal champions anyone?)
Eternal Champions was supposed to be a series, but it got killed by the infighting over at Sega. There were the two games, the original Eternal Champions and Eternal Champions: Challenge from the Darkside for the Sega CD. I thought the Sega CD version was a lot better than the cartridge version, probably because the cartridge version was designed to work with Sega's fitness device, the Sega Activator:

The cartridge was the second "packaged game" to be included with the Sega Activator, an elaborate infrared ring controller that players stood in and punched and kicked in order to make the characters perform different combat movements. It was one of only a few games that actually recognized the Activator and took advantage of most of the features of the unit. The player using the Activator was given an advantage of receiving 50% less and inflicting 50% more damage than the player using a regular controller.
-- Wikipedia, Eternal Champions
Whoever decided that a 2D fighting game needed to be designed specifically to work with a full body fitness device deserved a raise and a promotion. So, I hope he got what he deserved.

God's Strongest Dragoon

Dispite the cries of BETRAYAL Injustice is really the franchise they should of kept work on the dumbass Kameo system would be more forgivable in a superhero game where pandering to it's players only get's them more invested not less.

It also tends to lean into dumb fun a lot more since it's so divorced from MK's GRIMDERP by its own nature.

Remember when people were actually excited to hear MKONE was going back to the basics scrapping the story entirely and going back to a basic fighting tourney (that most fighting games are because it's fun and it works as justification) and then were depressed to learn that was not the case it was yet another reboot in the continuity of reboots that keeps happening because their own stupid lore must be adhered to

as devicive as Tekken is sometimes (screwing over certain characters) keeping the story in the backround is the right call for most fighting games. Guilty Gear does it Street Fighter does it (though arguably 6 did something at least slightly new) and it's been doing it for years with a MUCH LARGER CAST.

Maybe im biased here but MK does not deserve to exist in it's current state as one of the "big fighting game franchises" give us more soul caliber give us more samsho hell Dragonball Fighterz with it's broken ass boss characters or Skullgirls also deserve followups.
MK only exists as a "big fighting game franchise" because of its budget and legacy, which has gone to shit several games ago. The story mode is fun when they focused on the simple stuff or stuck to the campy nature of the story but they speedran a bunch of fan favorite storylines like the Tourney, Deadly Alliance, Onaga, and Armageddon for no reason at all. They got completely obsessed with upping the MK4/Fallen God stakes in MKX with Timeline/Titan bullshit in MK11. Of course they felt compelled to up the stakes again with Multiverses/Multiple Titans. It's all so tiresome.

Speaking more on Onaga, they teased his return to such an insulting degree between the Invincible Army, the Deadly Alliance, Damashi, and the characters added in Deception like Ashran, Shujinko, Darrius, and Havik.

UberSoldat

MK only exists as a "big fighting game franchise" because of its budget and legacy, which has gone to shit several games ago. The story mode is fun when they focused on the simple stuff or stuck to the campy nature of the story but they speedran a bunch of fan favorite storylines like the Tourney, Deadly Alliance, Onaga, and Armageddon for no reason at all. They got completely obsessed with upping the MK4/Fallen God stakes in MKX with Timeline/Titan bullshit in MK11. Of course they felt compelled to up the stakes again with Multiverses/Multiple Titans. It's all so tiresome.

Speaking more on Onaga, they teased his return to such an insulting degree between the Invincible Army, the Deadly Alliance, Damashi, and the characters added in Deception like Ashran, Shujinko, Darrius, and Havik.
Onaga is in Reiko's ending in case you were wondering. He's also mentioned in some pre-fight dialogue.

Top Bottom