"How do you say 'abortion' in sign language?"Pipkin Pippa

Vidya Games Thread

Ensok

Early Adopter
the problem is 2 fold.

It's still the best Moba out there I want more games in the Moba style but ever since Gigantic got the Axe we have had basically nothing. DOTA is somehow more full of assholes then league is. all the other ones died off.

Despite it's "issues" it is still fun overall even champions that break the game only stomp teams that cannot adapt. Pyke (who fucks with the curve of game time to gold income) is busted but if you never engage him hes actually dead weight.

There is also the fun of doing meme niche shit and having it work. Jhin (my main) is a typical marksman champion so i shove a bunch of mage items on him everyone was threatening to report me till my traps did over 1k damage. bonus was we could disengage clean since none of them wanted to risk stepping on the traps i drop when we ran away.
It was more fun when we still had Dominion and Twisted Treeline, even if just for the rotating game modes like Ascension or Hexakill. Instead now even though Riot has branched out into other games and things like Arcane, the main game actually has less content (except for amount of champions) than it did ten years ago.

Awoogers

basic ass man who loves the british funny woman
the problem is 2 fold.

It's still the best Moba out there I want more games in the Moba style but ever since Gigantic got the Axe we have had basically nothing. DOTA is somehow more full of assholes then league is. all the other ones died off.

Despite it's "issues" it is still fun overall even champions that break the game only stomp teams that cannot adapt. Pyke (who fucks with the curve of game time to gold income) is busted but if you never engage him hes actually dead weight.

There is also the fun of doing meme niche shit and having it work. Jhin (my main) is a typical marksman champion so i shove a bunch of mage items on him everyone was threatening to report me till my traps did over 1k damage. bonus was we could disengage clean since none of them wanted to risk stepping on the traps i drop when we ran away.
Playing pyke is fun because if you can actually hit your hooks and execute you'll still be useful for the team even if you are behind but then again other than those he's more of a liability than an asset

And I need to try that funny 4 man ap build that sounds fun

Awoogers

It was more fun when we still had Dominion and Twisted Treeline, even if just for the rotating game modes like Ascension or Hexakill. Instead now even though Riot has branched out into other games and things like Arcane, the main game actually has less content (except for amount of champions) than it did ten years ago.
They do plan on releasing a new game mode which is a 2v2v2v2 on the next patch and from what I've seen it's a lot of fun and probably my next timesink than be stuck in the perpetual hell of SEA solo queue

Saturnus

haha it's unou
Never really understood continuing to play a game you don't like when you could do literally anything else
As a former Dota 2 player, it's like doing hard drugs. I chase the high of good plays that get me complements from internet strangers and constantly winning. Only for the reality of shitty Peruvians queueing in my games on USE and ruining my games sending me into a spiral of losses. But don't worry, next game will be better! I just gotta queue again. The time for games (~30 mins) doesn't help here.
I got out of it because all my friends stopped playing and Valve needs to build a wall to prevent South Americans from queueing on NA servers.

Awoogers

As a former Dota 2 player, it's like doing hard drugs. I chase the high of good plays that get me complements from internet strangers and constantly winning. Only for the reality of shitty Peruvians queueing in my games on USE and ruining my games sending me into a spiral of losses. But don't worry, next game will be better! I just gotta queue again. The time for games (~30 mins) doesn't help here.
I got out of it because all my friends stopped playing and Valve needs to build a wall to prevent South Americans from queueing on NA servers.
I learned slurs on dota 2

And dota as a whole is big in the PH scene so to the point that it's semi cultural

CalciumAnimal

Drink Milk
They do plan on releasing a new game mode which is a 2v2v2v2 on the next patch and from what I've seen it's a lot of fun and probably my next timesink than be stuck in the perpetual hell of SEA solo queue
i'm hype for soulfighter yeah and all the noobs who will insta lock the new champ and flop with her because assassins seem to get chumped in this game mode outside of expert piloting.
yeah they really need to bring back rotating game modes but they really want you to play that ranked mode instead of having fun. they do have TFT now but that stops being fun once you realize which combos win you the game most often right now it's shadow isles/zaun to their credit they are trying to add more to the gamemode so it's not X wins every time but they clearly don't want to dilute the main game mode.

honestly what i would do is add old game modes to the riot client and let people play them on an older build of leauge. there now you don't have to update / balance 20 game modes. just have a thing that tells you which patch your playing on and ban champions that were not available with said patch unless rito lost the data that should be doable.

especially with the most popular game modes StarGuardian and Odyssey

Awoogers

i'm hype for soulfighter yeah and all the noobs who will insta lock the new champ and flop with her because assassins seem to get chumped in this game mode outside of expert piloting.

yeah they really need to bring back rotating game modes but they really want you to play that ranked mode instead of having fun. they do have TFT now but that stops being fun once you realize which combos win you the game most often right now it's shadow isles/zaun to their credit they are trying to add more to the gamemode so it's not X wins every time but they clearly don't want to dilute the main game mode.

honestly what i would do is add old game modes to the riot client and let people play them on an older build of leauge. there now you don't have to update / balance 20 game modes. just have a thing that tells you which patch your playing on and ban champions that were not available with said patch unless rito lost the data that should be doable.

I miss star guardian and odyssey so much

There's a reason why star guardian is my favorite skinline lorewise and aesthetic wise

CalciumAnimal

Drink Milk
I miss star guardian and odyssey so much

There's a reason why star guardian is my favorite skinline lorewise and aesthetic wise
Star guardians really needs the fucking arcane treatment I appreciate whoever is doing the lore understands both the magical girl genre and the deconstruction of said genre (shows like madoka)

Also seriously Xaylah and Rakan being the perfect fit for a cosmic tragedy

Todd's Strongest Howard

Do not trust the sticker farmer.
Early Adopter
Yeah I'll take a look at 2. I mean I been interested in the series but I played this one shitty one years ago that had like irl time limits for shit you did to your base.

How is 3? see it's mixed review right now, however more positive then negative right now.

There's been a lot of knock-off and series adjacent releases that tried to ape the Jagged Alliance 2 formula but none of them were really proper sequels, and certainly none of them had Currie's blessing or help. He comes across as a little bitter how much the JA name has been dragged through the mud over the years, so for him to throw in with Haemimont and give them his help, they really must have sold him on the pitch or at least bribed the fuck out of him.

JA3 feels pretty good from what I played so far, it's missing a bit of the charm that 2 had with the character personalities but I've only really dealt with 3 characters so far since my fourth is the custom lad and they seem to lack the kind of integration the other hireables have. Gameplay isn't bad, at first I had opinions on how limited and weird it felt but then I came to terms with the fact that I was comparing it against 1.13 mod which has had near two decades of autistic programming to make it what it is, so in comparing it to baseline JA2 it's certainly not as huge of a gap in experience. Certainly feels a bit more refined with the progress the tactical gunfighting genre has had in the last 24 years. There's less guesswork in how much you're benefiting from cover, though I do find it weird their initial idea for balance and design was to eschew the CTH calculations on aiming and relegate that to a day 1 supplementary mod. Their excuse is that gunfights should feel chaotic and the AI doesn't account for the idea that you might know how likely you are to hit, but I personally hate the idea of leaving a lot to chance. There was a comment made during the pre-release lead up stream earlier today about not wanting to promote minmaxing your gameplay as much, which I felt was kind of a weird take to have in the most autistic wargame I've ever played, but at the end of the day while they released the game in a state to share their vision of the product they still have a day 1 option available for any players that disagree with that, so I'm not going to harp on them for it and am appreciative they're not trying to force their vision either. The one goofy thing I feel about the game though is the weapon modifications being able to be cobbled together from generic 'parts'. It grates my sperg soul to imagine just whipping up a whole-ass functional Uzi suppressor from 'parts' I attain form disassembling 10 Browning Hi-Power pistols, but at the same time it saves the ballache of trawling in game merchants for random rolled loot pools of add-ons, and who knows if that is a feature or not still, I've not even hit the mainland yet.

It feels pretty Jagged Alliance. The characterization isn't all there but I can't really fault them on that too much, they're reviving a franchise a quarter-century after the last main entry with only the original designer on board for oversight and direction, there's only so much they can do to capture mid-late 90's cheese and character tropes. I've only used one returning character so far in my squad -- Michael "MD" Dawson -- the others being my IMP custom and two new comers. MD's a simple character to write, he's not a skilled combatant, he's much more a civilian doctor than a combat medic, and he's not that talented in combat on paper, though he does seem to have an innate perk/trait thing that I'm not entirely sure how it's triggered but looks like he can achieve a combat high and become surprisingly capable. He's got his usual attitude of not really liking that he's got to kill people as a mercenary, has a compassionate outlook on things and in general still has his softboy demeanor. He's not retreading the same voice lines or dialogue from 2 but the essence of his character is about 80~90% there from how it feels. The other two newcomers I've been using, some woman I can't remember her name right now but she's a bit of a goofball, comes across as a manic pixie dream girl type calling her voice mail 'talking computer' and always going on about heroes and quests with a sort of conviction that makes me split on whether she's completely delusional or really a psychopath. The other, Omeryn(?), is a mistake. His kit comes with a sawed off shotgun that has miserable range for what I feel to be safe engagements, and every line he has is either about sleeping or eating to an annoying degree, to a point where he comments about others killing enemies as a good thing since then he doesn't have to do anything. It's all delivered with this kind of upbeat, jovial-sounding tone that just comes across like huge passive aggressive bitch mood. The only contribution he's had so far in my capturing most of the first island is the rare chance I get to make use of his double-barrel fire mode, which seems like if it catches someone in cover it forces them to exit cover and become more likely to get hit. Maybe he's actually really good and the tactical application he brings is worthwhile but I'm still learning a lot of the mechanics, I only got about ~4 hours to play and I spent a good 40 minutes testing how skill rolls feel and whether or not savescumming is still a viable method for dealing with static checks, I'm not 100% on this but it feels very seeded so savescumming for favourable skill checks likely won't work near as well as it did in JA2. No training Explosives by attempting to place a mine and then disarming it and picking it back up in a loop, saving after every success and reloading if you blow up. It also seems kind of resistant to basic level memory address hacking but I also didn't try super hard.

I've heard there's some people complaining about the skill/perk tree stuff on leveling up, I don't know what these people are on. Sure, gaining perks is a new thing but JA2 characters had relative levels from 1-10 to determine field experience that went up over time, only difference was that if a merc comes into the field and has Psycho, Ambidextrous and Night Ops as their traits, then they're always going to be the kind of character that you send running in, in the dead of night to gun down patrols with two semi-auto pistols so they don't blow tons of ammo flipping on the full auto and spraying an entire pair of magazines into one grunt. That same character has a chance to develop new skills in the field and have an evolving utility that can change to match whatever focus on skills you take and become an adaptable member of the squad that becomes more than a one trick champion. It can really only be a benefit. As well, even if the game doesn't hit all the markers of being an amazing game, they're planning to release their modding tools within about a month time frame. Said to be the same kind of tools they used in making the game in the first place, spoke of looking forward to see if JA3 gets it's own 1.13 type mod, and if dedicated fans are going to recreate the entirety of JA1 and JA2 in the new engine once they push out the map and quest mod tools in the future. Even if I'd say right now it feels a 7/10, it was built and designed to be modular with the intent of making it accessible for modding, as it was only through modding that JA2 became as long living as it has been. Hearing one of the developers saying that they decided to make actual tools for it all since some other JA-hopefuls that've come out in the past had to be brute forced apart to add in new content made me really understand that they do get that what made JA2 such a treat for the fans is that the entire game's programming had been stripped and externalized to xml files in order to transform it into something much more than what it was originally released as. They get that in the end it'll be the fans that make the experience perfect for themselves, but they can still strive to give us the best base experience possible and in that regard I'd say they did pretty good so far.

It also helps that up to the hour of release it was on sale 20% off and still only costs some $45 despite that, so it's a decently solid feeling game as well as reasonably priced in this year of our mag 2023 where rape dungeons masquerading as AAA developers think $90 is a reasonable price to pay for something that has a coinflip's chance of being unplayable due to zero programming standards. Thank you Haemimont for having the humility to know that their product might not actually be worth $90, and enjoy my part as a satisfied fan that aside from my copy I've also bought two friends the game as well at full price.

Just give us a permanent free pick URF, and every two weeks just scrape the data of the top 12 most picked champs and disable them for the following 2 weeks, on top of giving us the bans. Keep a lot of the worst fucks to deal with in URF from being a permanent fixture if/when they squeak through bans and force people to branch out.

Also yes, all the previous game modes as semi-permanent features too. I miss Dominon, and don't give me any shit about the difficulties of balancing multiple game modes, Riot, you already don't fucking balance your one.

Last edited:

PleaseCheckYourReceipts

In about 30 years, there's going to be an actual war sparked off in SEA from grudges started in either LoL or Dota lobbies.

Awoogers

In about 30 years, there's going to be an actual war sparked off in SEA from grudges started in either LoL or Dota lobbies.
There's actual people who got killed due to this or just regular dota/lol matches btw

Brosnan Pierce Brosnan

God's Strongest Smartass
Dizzy's Husband
Interesting if true

Also I've been testing my rig with some modern games. So far so good. If only the fucking games were. I also installed the Epic Launcher for the first time and it is amazing, first launch I get a crash, second I get black screen, third I get the games to load but they won't download. Then I get disconnected. Its like they took the worst of Uplay, Origin and Steam but its fine because they have weekly free games.

John Vtuber👁️

Sentient Eyeball, Primarch of Hag Pride Worldwide
Certified Manwhore
Interesting if true

Also I've been testing my rig with some modern games. So far so good. If only the fucking games were. I also installed the Epic Launcher for the first time and it is amazing, first launch I get a crash, second I get black screen, third I get the games to load but they won't download. Then I get disconnected. Its like they took the worst of Uplay, Origin and Steam but its fine because they have weekly free games.

Assassin’s Creed Red is reported to have a female samurai and an African shinobi as the protagonists

Please look forward to the inevitable game journalist articles and their historical revisionism of feudal Japan, and if that doesn’t work, how feudal Japan was a combination of sexist and/or racist and needs to do better

Honestly, I am 100% looking forward to the latter, especially since people are now “cancelling” Napoleon and that might just bring Jim back from the grave

I miss Jim, bros…

Kazuma

Early Adopter
Slight offtopic but Empress just cracked Dead Island 2 and this is what she has written in the nfo
Check under the "Release Notes" section.

empress.png
:whatastory:

John Vtuber👁️

Certified Manwhore
Slight offtopic but Empress just cracked Dead Island 2 and this is what she has written in the nfo

Is Katta’s mom single? Unrelated to anything, obviously.

That Chuuba Enjoyer

DM me if you have a Ed, Edd n Eddy clip
Early Adopter

Bro, Empress is something else. I don't know notable figures in the pirating sphere, but this person just so...'interesting' to watch. They've done early crack announcements for those they ERP with, pissed off trans people with the Harry Potter crack, long insane ramblings that remind me of Terry, and somehow being so crazy to get banned off pirating sites.

I hope DEAR LEEDUUURRRR discusses them again one day, such a weird rabbit hole.

Assassin’s Creed Red is reported to have a female samurai and an African shinobi as the protagonists

Please look forward to the inevitable game journalist articles and their historical revisionism of feudal Japan, and if that doesn’t work, how feudal Japan was a combination of sexist and/or racist and needs to do better

Honestly, I am 100% looking forward to the latter, especially since people are now “cancelling” Napoleon and that might just bring Jim back from the grave

I miss Jim, bros…
I believe the recent leaks about it. Gaming has been such a monkey paw in recent years. People wanted Japanese assassins creeds for decade. Now we're getting it, but it's not going to be in the way we had in mind.

Ghost of Tsushima is really the only western developed game I know that respected Japanese history/culture in some fashion.

God's Strongest Dragoon

I miss Jim, bros…
The funny part is that normally I'd believe shit like this is purely trolling but this is probably true and a power play being made to get people to play the female protagonist.
>Assassin's Creed Syndicate includes twin PCs, Jacob and Evie, and the game was suppose to be split evenly between the two.
>corporate comes in, tells them to focus more on Jacob, and marketing is shifted to focus on him, he's even front and center on the box art while Evie is in the back.
>Assassin's Creed Origins has you play as Bayek for pretty much the entire game and then has a short section as his wife, Aya.
>the game was originally suppose to have you play as Bayek for a few hours, kill him, and then have you play as Aya for the rest.
>corporate comes in, tells them to not do that, and now Aya went from being the main character to being a side character.
>Assassin's Creed Odyssey was suppose to have you play as the female Kassandra while her twin brother Alexios is the main villain.
>corporate comes in and tells them to give a male choice, now you can choose to play as Alexios, which will make Kassandra the main villain.
>Ubisoft Quebec, the team behind Odyssey and Syndicate, takes every chance they can to say "Kassandra is the canon choice" as an act of rebellion.
>leaks reveal corporate's interventions up to this point.
>Assassin's Creed Valhalla has a male and female option for Eivor. There's a small section where you play as Odin, Eivor's past life.
>The game includes a "Let the animus choose" as a canon option. You play as female Eivor during main game but male during the small Odin section.
>the studio likely didn't intend to have a male option for Eivor but were forced to include it by management, so they grabbed the Odin VA.
>Mirage is 100% forced to play as the male character Basim.
>The soy devs are likely going nuts because not only can they not make a female choice but "returning to roots" implies that their recent games were wrong (see Blizzard dev reaction to Classic WoW).
>Ubisoft Quebec (Odyssey and Syndicate) is being allowed to make Assassin's Creed Red. They 100% know people would be upset by literal negro choice in Feudal Japan, so they likely did that to force "sexist gamers" to play as the female character.

The main reason corporate originally gave in the leaks to the studios was that "people don't play female characters". So this definitely seems like some soydevs trying to get more people to play the female character than the male character, so they can go to corporate and say "See! They mostly picked the female lead, let us make a game where only a female is the lead now". It's actually fitting for some super leftist soydevs to try to "combat the patriarchy" by being racist and thinking "people are more willing to play the female than be a nígger!"

Last edited:

John Vtuber👁️

Certified Manwhore
The funny part is that normally I'd believe shit like this is purely trolling but this is probably true and a power play being made to get people to play the female protagonist.
>Assassin's Creed Syndicate includes twin PCs, Jacob and Evie, and the game was suppose to be split evenly between the two.
>corporate comes in, tells them to focus more on Jacob, and marketing is shifted to focus on him, he's even front and center on the box art while Evie is in the back.
>Assassin's Creed Origins has you play as Bayek for pretty much the entire game and then has a short section as his wife, Aya.
>the game was originally suppose to have you play as Bayek for a few hours, kill him, and then have you play as Aya for the rest.
>corporate comes in, tells them to not do that, and now Aya went from being the main character to being a side character.
>Assassin's Creed Odyssey was suppose to have you play as the female Kassandra while her twin brother Alexios is the main villain.
>corporate comes in and tells them to give a male choice, now you can choose to play as Alexios, which will make Kassandra the main villain.
>Ubisoft Quebec, the team behind Odyssey and Syndicate, takes every chance they can to say "Kassandra is the canon choice" as an act of rebellion.
>leaks reveal corporate's interventions up to this point.
>Assassin's Creed Valhalla has a male and female option for Eivor. There's a small section where you play as Odin, Eivor's past life.
>The game includes a "Let the animus choose" as a canon option. You play as female Eivor during main game but male during the small Odin section.
>the studio likely didn't intend to have a male option for Eivor but were forced to include it by management, so they grabbed the Odin VA.
>Mirage is 100% forced to play as the male character Basim.
>The soy devs are likely going nuts because not only can they not make a female choice but "returning to roots" implies that their recent games were wrong (see Blizzard dev reaction to Classic WoW).
>Ubisoft Quebec (Odyssey and Syndicate) is being allowed to make Assassin's Creed Red. They 100% know people would be upset by literal negro choice in Feudal Japan, so they likely did that to force "sexist gamers" to play as the female character.
For all intents and purposes, corporate is right in these regards - give people a choice between Male and Female for content value, but the numbers all the way back to things like Mass Effect show that people overwhelmingly choose the Male character when given the opportunity, but that doesn't stop Bioware from trying to make FemShep the "iconic" and "popular" choice

These developers are not able to force people to change their behavior without just simply not giving them the choice in the first place, hence why they have been trying for ages to never have a Male player character again - and it's not even hyperbole when these same developers will gladly tour on interviews and social media posts over the years saying this exact thing

So deflections are most likely going to be, as always:

"Why do you hate womxn?"
"Why do you hate black people?"
"Actually, there were female samurai and Africans in feudal Japan in these specific circumstances, so it's historically accurate, bigot"
"...And if it's not, it's a video game, it's not meant to be real life, touch grass"

Ubisoft would never make a game about African history or mythology and have it star a Japanese Male immigrant - in fact, they would never make a game about African history or mythology period, they would almost immediately be eaten by their own for the slightest of slights or portrayals of anything not up to modern-day standards.

Punished Anime Discusser

Early Adopter
Interesting if true

Oda Nobunaga literally had a black guy as one of his retainers, Yasuke, and his life is pretty well documented, but I'm sure you won't be playing as him, instead you'll be playing as a woman samurai (facemodelled/acted by a Chinese woman) and Jamal Tyrone the ninjgga.

God's Strongest Dragoon

Oda Nobunaga literally had a black guy as one of his retainers, Yasuke, and his life is pretty well documented, but I'm sure you won't be playing as him, instead you'll be playing as a woman samurai (facemodelled/acted by a Chinese woman) and Jamal Tyrone the ninjgga.
They don't do any modeling of the faces anymore. They have AI generate the faces now.

Top Bottom