"Because I live in Japan, it's just more convenient for management to sometimes choose me - sometimes they would want some people from overseas, but you know the cost, the time, it's not worth it sometimes sadly"Kotoka Torahime

Vidya Games Thread

Awoogers

basic ass man who loves the british funny woman

CalciumAnimal

Drink Milk
I'm confident that's exactly what happened, because Jack Black doesn't play characters, he plays Jack Black. This has always been the case, even in his early roles (Kung Fu Panda, Schoolhouse Rock, Nacho Libre, etc.), but the reason it works in those movies is because those are original films with original characters, so when those original characters are just Jack Black, it doesn't really register or matter. Now that he's started worming his way into all these video game movies, it's extremely noticeable, because these are pre-established characters with pre-established personalities and traits, and all the Jack Black-isms that make it into his performances are much more jarring. Why does Bowser suddenly play piano and sing incredibly obnoxious and ear-wormy songs? Because he's Jack Black, don't you know he's a musician? Why does Steve look like a homeless bum with a huge redneck beard? Because that's just what Jack Black looks like now, you retard! I haven't seen Borderlands, but I'm sure he does the exact same thing with Claptrap in that movie. It's getting very annoying, and I don't know why Jack Black's decided to be this lazy fucking bastard who won't even cut his epic beard in order to play a character, but I'm starting to cringe whenever I see him in things now. I couldn't have imagined 5 years ago I'd wind up hating Jack Black :painpeko:
Because you don't cut that epic beard.

But yeah you nailed it guy is not an actor he's not trying to be and i can't really blame him for taking the checks they throw at him but also just please fucking stop.
Jim Carry has the same problem a few years without him made him much more bearable.

Honestly his recognizability is all jack black really has left.

Saturnus

haha it's unou
Games are largely for children hate to break it to you dude
>I am losing (what little) ground (I have) for my argument. Time to pull out the most outdated take-
Do we get the usual suspects bitching about this one because Notch is J.K. Rowling's equally evil sibling, too?
Pretty sure the usual suspects wear earplugs and screech loudly about how "HATSUNE MIKU AND JEB_ MADE MINECRAFT NOT NOTCH!!"

God's Strongest Dragoon

I used to believe sony was strapped for cash but seeing them blow 200 million on a failed overwatch clone like it's petty cash, maybe they're doing alright. I used to think "nah it's just microsoft that has that infinite money thing that they can afford to not make a profit for 3 generations of hardware in a row now".
We already saw during the FTC trial what Sony's entire gameplan is. They're willing to throw away $200 million on a shitty game like Horizon 2 or TLOU2 because it's all about luring people to their platform. They don't make games to sell for money, they make games as an advertisement of their platform. From what was shown during the Insomniac leak and the FTC trial, there's a very good chance that their platform cut from Call of Duty being on Playstation earned more for them in 1 year than their entire Spider-Man game franchise (SM1, MM, and SM2), which is suppose to be their most profitable flagship right now yet they don't even own the full rights to it. Its why Sony spurned up every propaganda machine they could to try to fuck with Microsoft's acquisition of Activision Blizzard because the thought of CoD leaving Playstation is a nuclear level threat to them.

Concord is potentially the biggest flop in gaming history as a $200 million moneypit but that's a drop in the bucket compared to the $1.5 billion they were pulling in from just their Call of Duty cut in 2021. The PS5 selling slower than the PS4 is what should concern them, especially when Xbox is dead in the dirt this console generation. The PC gaming market has been growing like a monster and every person that swaps to PC gaming is another person not buying shark cards or Call of Duty cosmetics on the Playstation platform. It's why Sony has been more frequently releasing their games on PC, they want to establish a beachhead but that Helldivers 2 fiasco has shown that they can't demand things of the PC gamers because they're not a walled garden like the Snoys on a PS5. I guarantee if there wasn't immense backlash to the PSN requirement for Helldivers 2 on PC, Sony was going to demand a PSN subscription down the line.

CalciumAnimal

Drink Milk
>I am losing (what little) ground (I have) for my argument. Time to pull out the most outdated take-

Pretty sure the usual suspects wear earplugs and screech loudly about how "HATSUNE MIKU AND JEB_ MADE MINECRAFT NOT NOTCH!!"
Then refute it instead of dismissing it. You can do it I BELIEVE.

Zizara

No faith in Humanity
Dizzy's Wife
So I bought the Space Marine 2 early access (on Steam):

1st strike - installs both EAC anti-cheat malware and fucking Epic Games, neither of which was disclosed beforehand. Devs are trying to cover their ass by claiming it's just for crossplay but so far as I can tell you can't opt out (which would be desirable because I'm not on PC to put up with the average console shitter) and you can't avoid being routed through Epic's systems.

2nd strike - mandatory agreement to data harvesting to play the game. Hopefully they'll get raped by the EU data laws or something.

3rd strike - It's actually unplayable. The game consistently freezes on the opening cutscene and I haven't been able to go any further. The cutscene is unskippable because of course it is. I'm seeing other complaints that the game is a massive resource hog and unstable from those who have been able to actually play, as well as missing a lot of tech options.

Of course there's already plenty of human cattle screaming about how all of this is perfectly fine and to please stop neg reviewing and bullying billion dollar companies. I think I'll be refunding.

Superduper Samurai

Early Adopter
3rd strike - It's actually unplayable. The game consistently freezes on the opening cutscene and I haven't been able to go any further. The cutscene is unskippable because of course it is. I'm seeing other complaints that the game is a massive resource hog and unstable from those who have been able to actually play, as well as missing a lot of tech options.

Of course there's already plenty of human cattle screaming about how all of this is perfectly fine and to please stop neg reviewing and bullying billion dollar companies. I think I'll be refunding.
the cutscene is actually skippable although i had to lower the resolution to 900p because it has a conniption if your PC is minimum recs (like mine) and tries to load the FMVs or whatever, i just mashed enter and it gave me the "loading" in the bottom right and bumped back up to 1080p when i hit gameplay

Other than that it actually runs relatively ok for min recs for me, it said 30 at 1080p but even on heavy setpieces with a fuckton of nids it runs at 50-60 and without setting my PC on fire

Last edited:

Brosnan Pierce Brosnan

God's Strongest Smartass
Dizzy's Husband
Someone brought up that the new Star Wars game by Ubisoft might have re-used assets from Beyond Good and Evil 2. Is this real? Did they scavenge the dead carcass of this project for that abomination?

Reminds me of the rumor of that one Lost Planet spinoff re-using assets from Mega Man Legends 3. Which iirc that was never proven or disproven but it was still lame (the game was rather meh, not a disaster like this Star Wars game though)

Punished Anime Discusser

Early Adopter

Game ran like utter shit, updated my drivers to AMD's CONCORD™ OPTIMIZED DRIVERS, and after that it runs mostly fine, it does dip into the 50s and very rarely 40s during big setpieces. Most settings on high, and don't even have to use FSR, 6650xt.

MrProcessor

Soldier of Godrick
They need to move their headquarters back to Japan and layoff everyone who worked in the LA office.
Layoff and execute, Yakuza style.

ogey_rrat

ogey

PleaseCheckYourReceipts

Because you don't cut that epic beard.

But yeah you nailed it guy is not an actor he's not trying to be and i can't really blame him for taking the checks they throw at him but also just please fucking stop.
Jim Carry has the same problem a few years without him made him much more bearable.

Honestly his recognizability is all jack black really has left.

Jim Carrey defaulted to just playing himself for a while until the checks dried up. Then he's gone back to playing characters with the Jim Carrey-isms. (Frankly, getting him to play Robotnik was such a good get.) But Jack doesn't really have another character he can play. That's kind of just it.

We already saw during the FTC trial what Sony's entire gameplan is. They're willing to throw away $200 million on a shitty game like Horizon 2 or TLOU2 because it's all about luring people to their platform. They don't make games to sell for money, they make games as an advertisement of their platform. From what was shown during the Insomniac leak and the FTC trial, there's a very good chance that their platform cut from Call of Duty being on Playstation earned more for them in 1 year than their entire Spider-Man game franchise (SM1, MM, and SM2), which is suppose to be their most profitable flagship right now yet they don't even own the full rights to it. Its why Sony spurned up every propaganda machine they could to try to fuck with Microsoft's acquisition of Activision Blizzard because the thought of CoD leaving Playstation is a nuclear level threat to them.

Concord is potentially the biggest flop in gaming history as a $200 million moneypit but that's a drop in the bucket compared to the $1.5 billion they were pulling in from just their Call of Duty cut in 2021. The PS5 selling slower than the PS4 is what should concern them, especially when Xbox is dead in the dirt this console generation. The PC gaming market has been growing like a monster and every person that swaps to PC gaming is another person not buying shark cards or Call of Duty cosmetics on the Playstation platform. It's why Sony has been more frequently releasing their games on PC, they want to establish a beachhead but that Helldivers 2 fiasco has shown that they can't demand things of the PC gamers because they're not a walled garden like the Snoys on a PS5. I guarantee if there wasn't immense backlash to the PSN requirement for Helldivers 2 on PC, Sony was going to demand a PSN subscription down the line.

Part of what caused the "Gilded Age" was the economic understanding of the USA's California Gold Rush and the sheer amounts of money made by Infrastructure and "primary" goods companies. That's simply where the money is at. It's why everyone tries to "scalemax" then use that dominant position to have a new infrastructure system people have to buy into.

MrProcessor

Soldier of Godrick

reinigen

Dang it
Ward Security

Is the PS5's best game about to be a mascot platformer or has Sony just spent millions on reviews???
A

Astro's Playroom is essentially a free glorified tech demo for the capabilities of the PS5 controller (gyro, superfine rumble, adaptive triggers, etc) which clocked in at 3 hours but was EASILY a 10/10 game which had no business being as good as it was.

Astro Bot is more fleshed out version of that game, so I have no doubt it's capable of being a 10/10 again. Plus we got this-

I got the game myself and am enjoying it so far.

God's Strongest Dragoon

Astro's Playroom is essentially a free glorified tech demo for the capabilities of the PS5 controller (gyro, superfine rumble, adaptive triggers, etc) which clocked in at 3 hours but was EASILY a 10/10 game which had no business being as good as it was.

Astro Bot is more fleshed out version of that game, so I have no doubt it's capable of being a 10/10 again. Plus we got this-

I got the game myself and am enjoying it so far.

The PSVR game was a cute little tech demo but labeling it 10/10 seems a little weird. Everything I've seen of the newest game is mostly 'member berries of old IPs that Sony has either killed off or left to rot while the gameplay is mostly just aped from Mario games that came out decades ago. When I opened up twitter and I see that fucking Redbull already has an animation ready to go on release day to celebrate the game's release, it definitely seems like Sony pulling on every string they can to glaze this game and make people forget about the Concord nuke that just went off.

reinigen

Dang it
Ward Security
The PSVR game was a cute little tech demo but labeling it 10/10 seems a little weird.
The PSVR game is a 3rd separate game, Astro Bot Rescue Mission.

And the Memberberries are pretty small incidentally, you don't dwell on it too much. The game is a solid platformer completely removed from all of that.

CalciumAnimal

Drink Milk
The PSVR game was a cute little tech demo but labeling it 10/10 seems a little weird. Everything I've seen of the newest game is mostly 'member berries of old IPs that Sony has either killed off or left to rot while the gameplay is mostly just aped from Mario games that came out decades ago. When I opened up twitter and I see that fucking Redbull already has an animation ready to go on release day to celebrate the game's release, it definitely seems like Sony pulling on every string they can to glaze this game and make people forget about the Concord nuke that just went off.
God Of War & Ragnarök had more member berries then Astro's did

God's Strongest Dragoon

And the Memberberries are pretty small incidentally, you don't dwell on it too much.
I don't know man, when 150 of the 300 bots (which function as the Mario Stars) are various reference characters, I have a hard time believing that.
The game is a solid platformer completely removed from all of that.
I'm not saying it's a bad platformer, it seems like an okay/good platform. I'm saying it's weird that this somehow popped up to 4th highest rated platformer of all time on release day. Same feeling I have about TOTK being rated so high that it outranks Majora's Mask.
God Of War & Ragnarök had more member berries then Astro's did
I didn't play Ragnarok but the member berries in GoW were relevant to the story.

CalciumAnimal

Drink Milk
I didn't play Ragnarok but the member berries in GoW were relevant to the story.
the first game referances the previous GOW games alot though i will admit most of them are story or character related so yeah.

Theres also a Meta one which exists just to make Christopher Judd say "indeed" the sardonic response uttered by Teal'c (Stargate SG1) which may or may not count.

Though i do recall a few of the dialogues referencing Kratos's other adventures including the handheld spinoffs playstation all stars and other trivia.

However Ragnarok has 17 "poems" which exist to reference other games including The Order : 1886 of all things among others like Uncharted Horizon Zero Dawn The Last of Us and Bloodborne.

Also on TOTK not everyone likes Majora's mask dude it probably has LOZ's best story overall but it's mechanics while neat are a mess 100% is a pain in the ass (especially due to keton) and it is otherwise a very very basic game that plays near identical to OOT.

Tears was the over hyped sequel to one of the best LOZ games in decades which while not amazing has a really stupid gimmick that keeps people playing for hours longer then they normally would. Finishes off the Story breath started and overall is better even if the story is weaker.

No surprise it sold gangbusters despite being a disappointing follow-up saved by it's one gimmick.

Last edited:

God's Strongest Dragoon

However Ragnarok has 17 "poems" which exist to reference other games including The Order : 1886 of all things among others like Uncharted Horizon Zero Dawn The Last of Us and Bloodborne.
Wow, that sounds pretty cringe. If it was a few easter eggs or references, it would be fine but 17 of those things sounds pretty dumb
Also on TOTK not everyone likes Majora's mask dude it probably has LOZ's best story overall but it's mechanics while neat are a mess 100% is a pain in the ass (especially due to keton) and it is otherwise a very very basic game that plays near identical to OOT.
The couples mask is like the only pain in the ass mask to get and you never needed to go all autistic and collect every mask in the game. Getting the Fierce Deity Mask is kind of shit because while its cool to obliterate the final boss, it really trivializes it to the point that you just don't notice it. Had the same experience with all the bosses in BOTW. Game devs clearly didn't consider bomb arrow damage and availability. I can't remember any of the bosses because I just kept bomb arrows for bosses and proceed to kill them before I saw any mechanics.
Tears was the over hyped sequel to one of the best LOZ games in decades
That's not a tall order. BOTW was coming off of the heels of Skyward Sword and Twilight Princess, probably the two weakest entries in the 3D style.
Finishes off the Story breath started and overall is better even if the story is weaker.

No surprise it sold gangbusters despite being a disappointing follow-up saved by it's one gimmick.
I'd go into detail shitting on TOTK but its become so tedious as that game is. I will say that the biggest crime of BOTW and TOTK is that the shrines are largely at least somewhat interesting puzzles but they ended up taking too much development from the dungeons, causing those to feel lackluster.

The handheld games had a better track record of quality games than the mainline 3D era. It's why I have somewhat interest in Echoes of Wisdom because A Link Between Worlds was a pretty great classic style Zelda.

Top Bottom