"I've never had anything eaten out of me, I don't have any maggots or worms inside of me, don't worry"Fujikura Uruka

Vidya Games Thread

CalciumAnimal

Drink Milk
There's multiple long form YT series from creators that they could have licensed and adapted then make money. It takes expert levels of stupidity to screw it up.
im sorry to break it to you but just taking an existing script and trying to adapt it to make a film does not work.
at best you recreate the thing 1 for 1 and everyone asks what the point was.
It's Hollywood. They've never made a single good video game movie adaptation in the past 2 decades. What were you expecting from this movie honestly?
Sonic Mario Detective Pikachu Ready Player One (an improvement over the source) Warcraft Tron (both times)

Having flaws does not disqualify it from being good. Not appeasing to sweaty fat nerds who will never be happy is not a disqualification from being good .

Sonic is fucking cringe. But Tails was spot on Donutlord & the humans can go to hell but Robotnik and Walmart Snivy were excellent.

Mario is the most mid movie ever but the rainbow road bit was fantastic.

The worst thing I can say about Detective Pikachu is the inferior version of I need a Hero. Not every adaptation can be Castlevania and even that had it's flop moments.

If you want to scream at Hollywood ask if they gave the upcoming LoZ movie to Wes Ball just because of all the mazes in Breath of the Wild. :guradumbl:

Last edited:

TKN_Lurker

Retired Lurker
im sorry to break it to you but just taking an existing script and trying to adapt it to make a film does not work.

Sonic Mario Detective Pikachu Ready Player One (an improvement over the source) Warcraft Tron (both times)

Having flaws does not disqualify it from being good. Not appeasing to sweaty fat nerds who will never be happy is not a disqualification from being good .

Sonic is fucking cringe. But Tails was spot on Donutlord & the humans can go to hell but Robotnik and Walmart Snivy were excellent.

Mario is the most mid movie ever but the rainbow road bit was fantastic.

The worst thing I can say about Detective Pikachu is the inferior version of I need a Hero. Not every adaptation can be Castlevania and even that had it's flop moments.

If you want to scream at Hollywood ask if they gave the upcoming LoZ movie to Wes Ball just because of all the mazes in Breath of the Wild. :guradumbl:
Mate, Ready Player One was from a book...and not a video game. And the rest of the movies you listed were either "bideo game" children movies or mediocre adaptations.

"Not every adaptation can be Castlevania and even that had it's flop moments."

The castlevania adaptation was fucking shit. And it wasn't even a live action movie, it was a terrible cartoon series that made Alucard fucking gay and botched Dracula's character.

I don't even know why you're defending this when there's decades of flops to prove my point.

Edit: As for Tron, even back in the day it wasn't the success you think it was. Tron legacy had the chance to make it work but it still failed so I don't why it's on here.

PleaseCheckYourReceipts

The primary issue is that the movie was clearly from that mid-2010s period where Microsoft wanted to do Cross Media with everything, so the production decisions were all done at the top without the Project Creatives having any actual input. This is almost always a recipe for disaster because the appeal of long-form Video Productions doesn't work well when subsumed to a greater Media Production. (It's the editing and story flow aspects, mainly.) That's why franchises spawning out of long form video work out pretty well.

But, never let anyone gaslight you about the design phase of Media Production being that hard. There isn't any secret formula for why things work. You can analyze a property and have a great understanding in 2 weeks. This isn't origination, which is hard; it's adaptation of an understanding of an IP. It's laziness and massive egos that causes all of it.

CalciumAnimal

Drink Milk
Mate, Ready Player One was from a book...and not a video game. And the rest of the movies you listed were either children movies or mediocre adaptations.

"Not every adaptation can be Castlevania and even that had it's flop moments."

The castlevania adaptation was fucking shit. And it wasn't even a live action movie, it was a terrible cartoon series that made Alucard fucking gay and botched Dracula's character.

I don't even know why you're defending this when there's decades of flops to prove my point.
once a thing is bad it's bad forever is a weird stance to take when by all accounts games sucked once too.

Games are largely for children hate to break it to you dude and arbitrarily claiming they don't count because of it is some pretty shallow reasoning dude.
Ready Player One sucks IMO and i still say it counts.

Castlevania was great what are you smoking? First off it being animated over live actions is a weird thing to try to disqualify it over it's still an adaptation Botched how? Dracula has no character in Castlevania hes big dumb and evil.

TKN_Lurker

Retired Lurker
Games are largely for children hate to break it to you dude and arbitrarily claiming they don't count because of it is some pretty shallow reasoning dude.
??? So because games are also played by children, the half assed adaptations are ok? Got it mate.
Castlevania was great what are you smoking? First off it being animated over live actions is a weird thing to try to disqualify it over it's still an adaptation Botched how? Dracula has no character in Castlevania hes big dumb and evil.
Were we watching the same thing? It being animated isn't the fucking problem. The Castlevania adaptation made terrible changes to the source material, thought everyone swearing like a 14 year old teen = edgy, wasted the 2nd season on Alucard being depressed then getting sodomized by some gypsies, race swapped a bunch of the characters when there was no reason to, made Dracula's entire tragedy a big fucking joke by having Death just revive both him and his wife by plot convenience then expects to continue the rest of the sequels without you know, Dracula? The overarching antagonist of every single one of the games.

Edit:
Please tell me how this scene doesn't ruin Alucard's character by turning him into a weepy bisexual fag when in the games he was stoic and cool.

Last edited:

Security

irc.rizon.net #TheVirtualAsylum
The only good game movies were Super Mario Bros. and Mortal Kombat from the 90s. Fight me.

CalciumAnimal

Drink Milk
??? So because games are also played by children, the half assed adaptations are ok? Got it mate.

Were we watching the same thing? It being animated isn't the fucking problem. The Castlevania adaptation made terrible changes to the source material, thought everyone swearing like a 14 year old teen = edgy, wasted the 2nd season on Alucard being depressed then getting sodomized by some gypsies, race swapped a bunch of the characters when there was no reason to, made Dracula's entire tragedy a big fucking joke by having Death just revive both him and his wife by plot convenience then expects to continue the rest of the sequels without you know, Dracula? The overarching antagonist of every single one of the games.
and your complaints about the show are shallow.

Dude you sound like a twittard unicorn TOO MUCH SWEARING WHY IS CHARACTER THIS RACE MUH PURE ALUCARD SODOMIZED WONT SOMEONE PLEASE THINK OF THE CHILDREN.

The only thing ill give you was the unnecessary happy ending which they already had together in hell but ultimately does it matter if they did or not it was still a overall well told story with some really good scenes.

PleaseCheckYourReceipts

The only good game movies were Super Mario Bros. and Mortal Kombat from the 90s. Fight me.
The 90s Mario movie I think would have been fine if it wasn't "Mario" and they didn't do so much coke. Mortal Kombat is still peak.

Security

irc.rizon.net #TheVirtualAsylum
The 90s Mario movie I think would have been fine if it wasn't "Mario" and they didn't do so much coke. Mortal Kombat is still peak.

The 90s Mario movie was them going:

"How do we adapt this into live action?"
"We don't."
"...okay... should we just make a ridiculous and entertaining film?"
"Sure."

Great adaptation? No. Fun film? Yes.

PleaseCheckYourReceipts

The 90s Mario movie was them going:

"How do we adapt this into live action?"
"We don't."
"...okay... should we just make a ridiculous and entertaining film?"
"Sure."

Great adaptation? No. Fun film? Yes.
giphy.webp

CalciumAnimal

Drink Milk

Edit:
Please tell me how this scene doesn't ruin Alucard's character by turning him into a weepy bisexual fag when in the games he was stoic and cool.

my point is who cares? Why does this matter?

If you were arguing that it was bad writing or the twins sucked or that it was pointless id agree and it would still not make the series as a whole bad but for some reason you decided to take offense that the European pseudo Nobel is happy to fuck anything that moves.

For the sake of argument let's say you are correct and somehow this is a problem it's never brought up again and you can pretty much ignore it like most of that season.

Meanwhile we get awesome shit like

or

I could honestly post clips all day most scenes with Lisa or Dracula are great You Must Be The Belmont as a running joke. the forge masters hell the friggin canoe debate between the vampires.

Ballpark_Look

Is the PS5's best game about to be a mascot platformer or has Sony just spent millions on reviews???
A

CalciumAnimal

Drink Milk

Is the PS5's best game about to be a mascot platformer or has Sony just spent millions on reviews???
A

when reviews are bought they tend to be 7-8's at the highest since giving yourself perfect marks is a bit too obvious?

Ballpark_Look

when reviews are bought they tend to be 7-8's at the highest since giving yourself perfect marks is a bit too obvious?
I was playing up the joke, but I do think this will be a very good game. What I am skeptical on is whether this is actually a near perfect game or just an above average game in a content starved genre. (Other than Mario of course)

Aquatic Novellite

Freshwater Shiorin
Early Adopter

Do we get the usual suspects bitching about this one because Notch is J.K. Rowling's equally evil sibling, too?

No?

Huh.

agility_

We have some serious streams to discuss 🔨
Early Adopter
I used to believe sony was strapped for cash but seeing them blow 200 million on a failed overwatch clone like it's petty cash, maybe they're doing alright. I used to think "nah it's just microsoft that has that infinite money thing that they can afford to not make a profit for 3 generations of hardware in a row now".

God's Strongest Mozumite

Mega Mozu Milkers.
Early Adopter
ENTERING FLAVOR COUNTRY

VSoyBoy

Do you think they asked Jack Black to shave and cut his hair and he just refused? He literally just looks like Jack Black with a blue t-shirt.

CalciumAnimal

Drink Milk

God's Strongest Mozumite

Mega Mozu Milkers.
Early Adopter
ENTERING FLAVOR COUNTRY
Do you think they asked Jack Black to shave and cut his hair and he just refused? He literally just looks like Jack Black with a blue t-shirt.
I'm confident that's exactly what happened, because Jack Black doesn't play characters, he plays Jack Black. This has always been the case, even in his early roles (Kung Fu Panda, Schoolhouse Rock, Nacho Libre, etc.), but the reason it works in those movies is because those are original films with original characters, so when those original characters are just Jack Black, it doesn't really register or matter. Now that he's started worming his way into all these video game movies, it's extremely noticeable, because these are pre-established characters with pre-established personalities and traits, and all the Jack Black-isms that make it into his performances are much more jarring. Why does Bowser suddenly play piano and sing incredibly obnoxious and ear-wormy songs? Because he's Jack Black, don't you know he's a musician? Why does Steve look like a homeless bum with a huge redneck beard? Because that's just what Jack Black looks like now, you retard! I haven't seen Borderlands, but I'm sure he does the exact same thing with Claptrap in that movie. It's getting very annoying, and I don't know why Jack Black's decided to be this lazy fucking bastard who won't even cut his epic beard in order to play a character, but I'm starting to cringe whenever I see him in things now. I couldn't have imagined 5 years ago I'd wind up hating Jack Black :painpeko:

Top Bottom