"Y-You can't do this to me... YOU KNOW HOW MUCH I'VE SACRIFICED?!!"Magni Dezmond

Vidya Games Thread

Awoogers

basic ass man who loves the british funny woman

Punished Anime Discusser

Early Adopter
they still havent fixed those?
I think they fixed the major one and then people stopped talking about it, no clue about the other ones.

Security

irc.rizon.net #TheVirtualAsylum
You wanna hear the depressing part? Fortnite now looks much better than Fortnite five years ago, and is actually pushing a bunch of the new UE5 tech and fidelity, but people don't realize because they either don't play it, or because of the art style. A better example would be us going from Skyrim to Skyrim in Space in 12 years. Or from Call of Duty 2019 to Call of Duty 2019 but worse looking over five years. Or Battlefield 5 to Battlefield 2042. Or all of Capcom's RE engine games somehow getting greasier and uglier than DMC5.

Watched some video of Fortnite graphics over the years, and it's more akin to the PS4 to PS5 leap, maybe PS3 to PS4. Basically, noticeable evolution, but nothing major, and a lot of the changes seem to just be implementing tech that's over 20 years at this point, and so as general computing power increased, it allowed them to make use of more for the type of game it is. For example, the water effects in Chapter 1 (which I assume is their sorta-season labeling) are very basic, but that's the tradeoff for trying to do a large scale multiplayer game with all the construction shit and what not you can do. Chapter 2 had much improved water effects, but the effect itself was something I saw in Unreal 2 over twenty years ago. (Oddly, Chapter 3 went back to Chapter 1 in this regard, while Chapter 4 went back to Chapter 2).

Everything else I'm seeing from Fortnite's graphical evolution is mainly just slightly fancier shaders over time.

This is nothing compared to what we saw year to year in the 90s. The noted five year difference between F-Zero and Wipeout is a great example.

Or if you want shooter demonstration, the gods of id Software with Doom (1993) and Quake (1996). (tried to find video of these two that are as close to how it was if you'd play them as they came out. Imagine Quake 1 at 15fps, however, and it'd be more accurate.)

Fortnite seems to still be a great example of the stagnation, despite being Epic's current baby.

God's Strongest Dragoon

Fortnite seems to still be a great example of the stagnation, despite being Epic's current baby.
That's the point. It's their cash cow and its important that retarded children can play it on their ipads and Nintendo Switch. So much of their revenue is tied to dumbass kids asking their parents for V-bucks and showing how cool they are compared to the other kids in school. This was one of the reasons why WoW was so successful, you could play that shit on a shit computer.

Last edited:

Superduper Samurai

Early Adopter
I kinda wanted to post this because it was kinda funny
But Thor aka Piratesoftware, twitch streamer who has been riding a huge popularity boom thanks to him taking advantage of YT shorts among other things, had a bit of a strange over-reaction to Ross Scott's "stop killing games" pettition, https://www.stopkillinggames.com/ an initiative that seeks to petition the EU govt to draft legislation in order to help provide methods in order to keep games alive and not unplayable, Louis Rossman, a popular tech youtuber and proponent of similar issues like Right to Repair, has put out a video directly calling out Thor, since he refused to have a dialouge with Ross, allegedly actively deleted a VoD comment from Ross, and outright called him "Disgusting" because of his attempt to use EU law to force devs to make games playable offline

Currently there are waves of PirateSoftware fanboys slapfighting and other people expressing disappointment that a creator that allegedly fights for consumer rights and talks about them, would outright insult a proposal that would in theory, be pro consumer if done well, he has a couple of legitimate criticisms but they are peppered with a bizzare form of manchild aggression towards the movement as a whole

piratesoft.png

Punished Anime Discusser

Early Adopter
But Thor aka Piratesoftware, twitch streamer who has been riding a huge popularity boom thanks to him taking advantage of YT shorts among other things, had a bit of a strange over-reaction to Ross Scott's "stop killing games" pettition, https://www.stopkillinggames.com/ an initiative that seeks to petition the EU govt to draft legislation in order to help provide methods in order to keep games alive and not unplayable, Louis Rossman, a popular tech youtuber and proponent of similar issues like Right to Repair, has put out a video directly calling out Thor, since he refused to have a dialouge with Ross, allegedly actively deleted a VoD comment from Ross, and outright called him "Disgusting" because of his attempt to use EU law to force devs to make games playable offline

Currently there are waves of PirateSoftware fanboys slapfighting and other people expressing disappointment that a creator that allegedly fights for consumer rights and talks about them, would outright insult a proposal that would in theory, be pro consumer if done well, he has a couple of legitimate criticisms but they are peppered with a bizzare form of manchild aggression towards the movement as a whole

Reminder that Thor was a nepohire at Blizzard because his dad was the cinematic director.

Planetary Bombardment

It's the only way to be sure.
I have never skipped a cutscene in FF14 before Dawntrail. Even with JP audio so I don't have to listen to the tranny I just absolutely do not give a shit about Wuk Lamat or her stepdad.

Kalion

:)
I have never skipped a cutscene in FF14 before Dawntrail. Even with JP audio so I don't have to listen to the tranny I just absolutely do not give a shit about Wuk Lamat or her stepdad.
Yeah, this pretty much sums up how I feel about Dawntrail's 7.0 MSQ:

There were so many things that could have taken center stage and made feel more important, but the writers had some kind of "Wuk Lamat must talk about peace and love every three minutes" quota.

God's Strongest Dragoon

I've never played a Final Fantasy game but what I've heard is that the new expansion has a big focus on a character that's really annoying but no one is allowed to shit talk it because it's played by a troon. Is that correct?

John Vtuber👁️

Sentient Eyeball, Primarch of Hag Pride Worldwide
Certified Manwhore
I've never played a Final Fantasy game but what I've heard is that the new expansion has a big focus on a character that's really annoying but no one is allowed to shit talk it because it's played by a troon. Is that correct?

Yeah, the expansion was billed as a treasure hunt with the scions, but instead you play as the retainer of Wuk Lamat, and your enjoyment of the expansion depends almost entirely on whether or not you like her as a character. Even after her story ends, and you move on to "next part", whoop, there she is again. It also doesn't help that her EN VA isn't really that good at all, but any and all criticisms of that - not just the character, or the writing of the entire expansion focusing almost entirely on said character - means you're a transphobe, and not welcome in the FFXIV community.

It's to the point where the latest raid boss, Honey B. Lovely, sweeped the most recent character popularity polls 2 days after her introduction, so the usual suspects are unable to say it's because critics just hate women. Shit, the entire reason why I'm desperate for a good MMO is because I was so disappointed by Dawntrail, and I've played the game since the beta of ARR! Clearly, it's not a vocal minority who are disappointed either, as this divide has even affected the expansion's ratings among the players. This might, unironically, knock FFXIV off the MMO throne if they don't improve the 7.X updates, let alone the next expansion!

Superduper Samurai

Early Adopter
Correct, intially people were surprisingly open to shitting on the character but then the VA pulled the "im being harassed" card once grummz started grifting about FFXIV so its now Verboten
The rest of the expansion is pretty shitty plot wise but the actual gameplay is the best in years

God's Strongest Dragoon

Awoogers

basic ass man who loves the british funny woman
That's the point. It's their cash cow and its important that retarded children can play it on their ipads and Nintendo Switch. SO much of their revenue is tied to dumbass kids asking their parents for V-bucks and showing how cool they are compared to the other kids in school. This was one of the reasons why WoW was so successful, you could play that shit on a shit computer.
We need more shit that can run even on shit computers tbh

These it's all about 3d ray tracing and whatnot and not actually making the game fun

Punished Anime Discusser

Early Adopter
Ah, so FF14 just got their WoD expansion.
Nah, it's more like post ICC WotLK/Cata pre-patch where you can feel that it's worse than what came before, but it's not hitting actually bad yet. Only, instead of the Cata pre-patch "we nerfed everything because our players are bad" they made all of the combat content way more interesting than the previous two expansions, while the story fucking sucked dick for the first half of the expansion and then got pretty neat.

Wuk Lamat definitely grew on me like a tumor when I connected the dots and realized that she's just Lyse, with a character arc. And I actually really liked the later parts of the expansion, the final zone in particular was really cool.

God's Strongest Dragoon

Turns out Thor has a farms thread.
He's a gay furfag that sells digital fursuits (furry avatars) in Second Life as a side business. It becomes a bit weird realizing his fursona is a ferret.

CalciumAnimal

Drink Milk
there are plenty of people shit talking it just not the retards who hugbox the topic because troonery is afoot. FF14 is one of the infected zones were any negativity will actually cause the spergs to flip out and due to how raids work essentially lock you out of doing late game content.

think of it like that stupid twitter blacklist thing floating around that blocks "problematic" people except actual functional.

Nah, it's more like post ICC WotLK/Cata pre-patch where you can feel that it's worse than what came before, but it's not hitting actually bad yet. Only, instead of the Cata pre-patch "we nerfed everything because our players are bad" they made all of the combat content way more interesting than the previous two expansions, while the story fucking sucked dick for the first half of the expansion and then got pretty neat.

Wuk Lamat definitely grew on me like a tumor when I connected the dots and realized that she's just Lyse, with a character arc. And I actually really liked the later parts of the expansion, the final zone in particular was really cool.
Pretty much this combined with Dawntrail explicitly trying to lower the stakes. I think it's fine there are more worthy topics then a meh performance and a underwhelming story arc (again which was intentional)

Good to have confirmation I was right about this turd (Pirate Software to be clear)I was suspicious how he suddenly blew up with only a middling game to his name the fucker milks drama for views like the dicks i presume he sucks.

Once the retards i am forced to associate with started praising him i should of actually looked into it.

Last edited:

Zapan1984

Oh, many people even on Reddit criticize the character, as for most it is more about the directing of the character, but overall that doesn't matter as the only place where CBU3 will read feedback hates the character, and there the VA is a non-issue, aka the JP official forum.

shipmate_F

menhera addicted sister
Pipproject Producer
Good to have confirmation I was right about this turd (Pirate Software to be clear)I was suspicious how he suddenly blew up with only a middling game to his name the fucker milks drama for views like the dicks i presume he sucks.

Once the retards i am forced to associate with started praising him i should of actually looked into it.
Both were overblown, but I get his point. While I understand publishers or even devs closing something to move out then fucking up lasting customers (I played MMOs for almost 15 years, I know), you need to have a bit of a safety net for protection of the IP and the design of those themselves are a liability to the safety of customers and trust compliances.
It doesn't happen often, but there are private servers that scam people who are too invested to let go. In the case of offering the files and code to set up by yourself you'll be stuck with the chance of scammers jumping in and transforming sweet memories into slander because a bad actor was able to do it easily.
The vague wording on that bill will definitely kill any indie multiplayer project on sight while also targetting all live service games. It reads as a teenager tantrum rather than a precise incision on the issue.
Personally, always-online games that aren't sold MMOs need to go: Instanced multiplayer games like Mihoyo games, team-shooters, MOBAs, etc. Anything that a simple self-hosting would work, like Counter Strike. And if that helps killing Denuvo I'm 120% behind it - I will always remember wanting to play a game after moving and getting hit with a Denuvo popup asking me to connect to the internet, I felt fucked for paying instead of pirating, that's not the way.

God's Strongest Dragoon

Both were overblown, but I get his point. While I understand publishers or even devs closing something to move out then fucking up lasting customers (I played MMOs for almost 15 years, I know), you need to have a bit of a safety net for protection of the IP and the design of those themselves are a liability to the safety of customers and trust compliances.
It doesn't happen often, but there are private servers that scam people who are too invested to let go. In the case of offering the files and code to set up by yourself you'll be stuck with the chance of scammers jumping in and transforming sweet memories into slander because a bad actor was able to do it easily.
The vague wording on that bill will definitely kill any indie multiplayer project on sight while also targetting all live service games. It reads as a teenager tantrum rather than a precise incision on the issue.
Personally, always-online games that aren't sold MMOs need to go: Instanced multiplayer games like Mihoyo games, team-shooters, MOBAs, etc. Anything that a simple self-hosting would work, like Counter Strike. And if that helps killing Denuvo I'm 120% behind it - I will always remember wanting to play a game after moving and getting hit with a Denuvo popup asking me to connect to the internet, I felt fucked for paying instead of pirating, that's not the way.
It's only an initiative and a lot of those finer details would be discussed as it is redrafted into a bill. One of the major plans I've seen discussed regarding live-service games like WoW is that those games would be exempt as you were not "purchasing" the game, you were paying a subscription fee to access a service. The whole thing started because of the Crew, which was a game that had a single-player mode and people purchased the game. Suddenly Ubisoft took down the servers and in the process took the game away from people that purchased it.

shipmate_F

menhera addicted sister
Pipproject Producer
It's only an initiative and a lot of those finer details would be discussed as it is redrafted into a bill. One of the major plans I've seen discussed regarding live-service games like WoW is that those games would be exempt as you were not "purchasing" the game, you were paying a subscription fee to access a service. The whole thing started because of the Crew, which was a game that had a single-player mode and people purchased the game. Suddenly Ubisoft took down the servers and in the process took the game away from people that purchased it.
I don't think defending it with "It's only an initiative" does well for the case, you're excluding all devs with that broad wording. If they fix what was pointed out, the effect will be the same and you can dodge drama/dumbasses trying to distort it.
And I'm well aware of The Crew, the game is good but Ubisoft being Ubisoft just fucked with an entire community.

Top Bottom