"The French are not white people"Sena Bonbon

Vidya Games Thread

Shuba Saber

MPP
Early Adopter
I can't wait to get the rest of the Tsukihime remake in 2040 :BijouBijou:
Sacchin's time to shine will come, i believe, not any time soon BUT IT WILL COME!
:takocope:

Mushroom man has to go through his library of lore notes cause he only recently remembered that Sacchin existed. Trust in the 30-year process :BijouBijou:

Honestly, the only thing I am wary of with the remake is that they didn't get the Melty Blood VAs back. They were the voices of the characters for me for the better part of two decades. If Nrvnqsr is in part 2, not having Jouji Nakata will be especially sad.
Yeah same. It still feels off to me but I get the decision considering the complete rewriting of the lore and how a lot of the old VAs aren't as active anymore (And RIP Hisui's original VA). Nakata is still very active though and Nrvnqsr showed up in FGO so I wanna hope he'll reprise the role if it happens.

Bug Eater

Humble Bundle decided to include an incomplete early access game in their monthly thing:

It was definitely heavily inspired by System Shock. The gunplay doesn't feel great (can't reliably hit headshots even at point blank range), it has some serious QOL issues, and the storytelling/worldbuilding feels like an afterthought. You have to hold your gun in your left hand (like a freak, sorry lefties) to be able to shoot with the left mouse button because there's no option to rebind them. The flashlight is dogshit as well. Despite all that it has a lot of potential, but I couldn't recommend it in its current state. Just play the System Shock remake instead. :mikothumbsl:

The Rrat

Phoneposting, Rat-loving menace
Early Adopter
Sacchin's time to shine will come, i believe, not any time soon BUT IT WILL COME!
:takocope:
Mushroom man has to go through his library of lore notes cause he only recently remembered that Sacchin existed. Trust in the 30-year process :BijouBijou:
All I am saying is I remember being excited for a possible Satsuki route, as well... back in 2008 when the remake was initially announced... :BijouBijou:

Security

irc.rizon.net #TheVirtualAsylum
Doom 3 came out 20 years ago today. I vividly remember this mindblowing demonstration from MacWorld 2001 (timestamp should be at 52:48), then more at E3 2002, then it getting delayed in 2003, then finally coming out in 2004 where... it was quite the disappointment. It's not a bad game, but it's not really Doom, and even now it's only a "good" game. Still, a technical marvel, and an important part of gaming history.

Now if you'll excuse me I need to go find a high bridge to do a backflip off of.

Awoogers

basic ass man who loves the british funny woman
I wonder if they'll release mahoyo 3rd(?) part now

The Rrat

Early Adopter
I wonder if they'll release mahoyo 3rd(?) part now
Wait, Mahoyo isn't a finished game? Jesus Christ, the Tsukihime remake really will never finish...

Awoogers

Wait, Mahoyo isn't a finished game? Jesus Christ, the Tsukihime remake really will never finish...
There's still a 3rd(?) I think part iirc and on the recent JP anniversary sojuros NP shows at least a glimpse of the final battle that was supposed to happen

The Rrat

Early Adopter
There's still a 3rd(?) I think part iirc and on the recent JP anniversary sojuros NP shows at least a glimpse of the final battle that was supposed to happen
Nasu, you Yamanba, finish your games.

Shuba Saber

MPP
Early Adopter
Mahoyo was always meant to be a trilogy. Last we heard of Mahoyo 2 was back in 2012 when it was confirmed that it was in development.

And yeah in peak Nasu behavior, the FGO collab earlier this year basically showed a spoiler for it :BijouBijou:

Awoogers

Mahoyo was always meant to be a trilogy. Last we heard of Mahoyo 2 was back in 2012 when it was confirmed that it was in development.

And yeah in peak Nasu behavior, the FGO collab earlier this year basically showed a spoiler for it :BijouBijou:
My boy was battle ready since 2012 and just shows a glimpse of it on fucking FGO of all place

Nasu you fuck at least finish a game that doesn't have saber in it

Alchemyth

Why would he? The fucker is swimming in money at this point. He only writes when Takeuchi feels like making a new saberface.

thhrang

Punished Autism Extraordinaire
Early Adopter
Ward Security
♥Realticule's Husbando♥
Half-Life 3 might actually be a thing.

Yes, I know McVicker is a tard. But his information seems good here.

Security

Half-Life 3 might actually be a thing.

Yes, I know McVicker is a tard. But his information seems good here.

Never heard of McVicker.

Anyways, torn on this. Yay, Half-Life 3. BUT this is way, way, way past Valve's prime. I didn't like the direction HL2 Ep2 was going, TF2's looking retarded (as shown in the video), I have no idea what the state of the Civil War inside Valve is right now between the nerds and the woketards (boy that's been a fun battle to view from the outside on the Steam storefront), and Deadlock looks absolutely embarrassing, and also a showcase of "those that once lead now follow."

I do not know what Valve could even do with Half-Life 3 to make it a great game, much less make something groundbreaking. Technologically, they can either go for super fine-tuned (which I don't think would grab much attention outside of aficionados), or really push it visually - which, if they're not going VR, would have to be ray/path-tracing. I have a hard time seeing that, even though my recent experience with Quake II RTX makes me think it absolutely is the way forward - but that's with Quake II, and not a brand new, high-poly game, where going full-on ray or path-tracing just isn't possible at the moment (Cyberpunk 2077's isn't the same, but that's a tech rabbithole).

Maybe they could do it culturally, where they go turbo-90s with cool shit, sexy women, cultural stereotypes, and saying "faցցot" at every opportunity. Very unlikely, but I can dream.

Thomas Talus

Εκ λόγου άλλος εκβαίνει λόγος
Early Adopter
if even Bungie and Blizzard are having woes with their live service games, you would think that would be an indication for other studios to not chase after that hypothetical infinite money printer
The allure of recurring revenue that can be pointed to as growing on your quarterly reports (as opposed to annual-ish bursts from sporadic releases) to MBAs cannot be understated.

shipmate_F

menhera addicted sister
Pipproject Producer
All I am saying is I remember being excited for a possible Satsuki route, as well... back in 2008 when the remake was initially announced... :BijouBijou:
I'm still waiting for the Other Side routes because I wanted Sacchin, Nero and the new Wallachia back for Melty Lumina, gave it like 2 years to have the characters... :BijouBijou:

thhrang

Punished Autism Extraordinaire
Early Adopter
Ward Security
♥Realticule's Husbando♥
Yay, Half-Life 3. BUT this is way, way, way past Valve's prime. I didn't like the direction HL2 Ep2 was going,
Have you played (or watched a playthrough of) Half-Life: Alyx? Game was actually very good, the writers of the past games returned as contractors for it - which explains why it isn't slop; presumably they've also returned for this upcoming traditional game as well. Spoilers, the ending of HL:A retcons the ending of HL2:EP2 via G-Man time-travel fuckery to be different with Eli still being alive and Alyx is now missing. This was presumably done because Marc Laidlaw leaked a plot outline of HL3 back in 2017 and so Valve had to find a way to switch it up to avoid ending up being compared to it. Video

Valve may be meandering with their multiplayer offerings nowadays, but I don't want to be so doomer so as to say I don't have faith in them to deliver a competent single-player product set in their most important franchise. If they fumble this, it will be very depressing.

Saturnus

haha it's unou
Valve may be meandering with their multiplayer offerings nowadays
I really don't know how or why Valve is fumbling the ball with their multiplayer offerings these days.
AFAIK with Dota 2 (I quit playing back in 2017-2018) It still gets large content updates and patches. I haven't heard anything bad about it but that could be due to me more or less disconnecting with that whole game since then. I know the last patch introduced some weird ass League shit where everyone has a set of innate passives (Kinda like Earth Spirit and the like, I guess?) but I haven't really heard much more about that.

Counter-Strike 2 is the biggest fumble so far. A bit of a tangent here. What Valve did was basically taking what they learned from the last game they ported over to the Source2 engine, which was Dota 2, and essentially forcing everyone to be playtesters. For context; Back in the day, they announced the whole Source2 port for Dota 2 (called Dota 2: Reborn iirc) and had a public beta for it for like, a week before dumping everyone over to the Source 2 version of the game. Did people like this? Fuck no, I played through most of that shit and it fucking SUCKED. The game was riddled with gamebreaking bugs and glitches. In retrospect I guess it's a great way to squash bugs really fast because instead of a minority of users willing to beta-test for you, it's the whole userbase. I vaguely even remember due to the amount of bugs they had a big BUG REPORT button on the main menu that you could submit the replay of your last match and describe what happened to Valve for them to hot-fix it if it was game ruining enough.
Bringing it back to CS2. They've essentially done the above, but this time instead of updating the game with content they've more or less fucked off. Dota 2 at least has the caveat of being a game where you play on 1 map, forever. CS2 is completely different and you need to be pumping in the content (that was already in CS:GO) back into the game to keep the players (moderately) happy. Along with killing the fucking bots, too.

Team Fortress 2 is still on life support.
The game is kept alive by 1 valve employee clocking in and choosing whatever hit "Top voted in the last ~3 months" to add to the game (and a majority of the time what he adds isn't that good). Sure, they've actually been doing some sort of "treadmill work" now to keep the game from rotting to death from bots. But as someone who grew up playing TF2 in the golden years of the big content updates. I wish we could get something like that again. Maybe not to the degree of frequency that they used to do it but at least every few years. I know there's people that've argued that "TF2 is perfectly fine we don't need new content (like new weapons or Valve-made shit) and modern Valve couldn't make a good balance patch to save their life!" But I'd honestly say, that it is kinda retarded that a Live Service Game something Valve unleashed from Pandora's box and have shown to many developers is a successful business model. Receives the absolute bare minimum of support (literally just an update for people to spend more money on the game, no balance tweaks or anything). They really should come back to the game and give it some sort of decently sizable content update. (I don't think it is "entitlement" to say that.) Not to just liven the game up a bit for both old and new players but to actually fix what they've left half-baked with the aftermath of the Meet-Your-Match update.

I'm also going to add Left 4 Dead 2 here. I've heard that game is riddled with a bunch of shit in terms of Multiplayer exploits. Valve pls fix your games before working on Deadlock any further. We're at the polar opposite of the last decade and a half of Valve's games where it was entirely chasing the multiplayer live-service cash to the majority of veteran staff being empowered by HL: Alyx to work on singleplayer experiences... while ignoring their live-service games. (Except for Deadlock.)

Alchemyth

All this talk about Valve games and nobody remembers Artifact. At least it gave us the official movie streaming section of twitch. It's where I watched Morbius, so thanks for that I guess. :kroniibitchclap:

Security

All this talk about Valve games and nobody remembers Artifact. At least it gave us the official movie streaming section of twitch. It's where I watched Morbius, so thanks for that I guess. :kroniibitchclap:

Man, I'm still waiting on Ricochet 2.

Saturnus

haha it's unou
Gonna be real, I had a tiny bit of hope for Artifact. They sealed their fate continuing to be stubborn and trying to combine the physical TCG business model into a digital TCG. By that I mean you had to buy card packs in game to get new cards. Instead of Artifact being free-to-play, you spent $20 to play it. But you got to choose between two full "starter deck" packs with the purchase. I think they had an idea, but were too late to the game to make it acceptable when Hearthstone pretty much set the standards of Digital TCG. Despite all that, the actual gameplay was fun, though.

Top Bottom