"I'm trying my best! I'm both Asian and woman!"Lilybelle

Vidya Games Thread

Tamavitch

Pig in human clothing
Relic produced one of my favorite games, Warhammer 40k: Dawn of War, but that was some time ago. I never got into Dawn of War 2, or 3, but Dawn of War: Dark Crusade is a game I'd take with me if were going to be stranded on a desert island with a solar powered computer.
See, this right here. This is the whole problem. The Relic who made Dawn of War existed 20 years ago. Long enough that a child could be born and get a 2 year degree. We could have BRED new game devs in this amount of time. And how long has it been since that Relic, actual Relic, has existed? Companies are like bands or artists. They have a finite number of good years in them, or good works. And that's if they stay whole.
Some randos getting their mitts on an IP and a logo and slapping it on Next Product doesn't connect it to the thing you liked at all, let alone imply that it would, or could, be as good.
Movies from Disney can never be Star Wars. Games from nu-Blizzard can never be Diablo or WoW or Starcraft. If 3 guys dragged Ringo Starr's corpse out on stage and had the IP to call themselves the Beatles, they are NOT THE FUCKING BEATLES and CANNOT MAKE A NEW BEATLES SONG.
Why the FUCK do people think it's somehow even slightly different with a game company? Divest yourselves of this belief. Culture cannot heal until we do. Relic is not making another Relic game ever again. No new Blizzard game is ever coming out, ever again. No new Mozart symphony is ever being written. No new songs are being added to Sergeant Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band. No new Star Wars movie is coming out.

God's Strongest Dragoon

Spent like 2 hours trying out the new Holo X Break game. Only played Polka. The art and music is great as usual. The cute references to Hololive are very enjoyable. The problem is that the gameplay itself is just clunky as shit and just overall not fun.
>you want to make a unique build? Fuck you, you only get 3 equipment slots
>by stage 3, pretty much every enemy has a spammable ranged projectile attack with barely any windup time or warning
>you have to stop and charge to do your power attacks, abilities, or ultimate. Man, it would be a real shame if one of the dozen enemies on screen decided to throw something at you
>there's only 2 abilities per character and they're on a long cooldown
>you want a dash, block, or jump attack? Nah, you get a dodge in the strictest terms possible, as it only gives minimal i-frames to dodge attacks and barely gives you any movement. Your base movement speed is also incredibly slow
>there's no melee combat system, it's only mash 1 attack button with a single combo string and it locks you into the animation for a long time, especially for the recovery frames, so you're bound to get hit by something. Attacking also feels delayed, so it just adds to the janky and slow feeling when you combine that with the dogshit mobility and slow movement speed
>the elite and boss enemies are very quick while you move slow as shit with no mobility
>speaking of boss fights, there's a big fat healthbar that takes up the bottom chunk of the screen. God help you if you have to move to the top half of the screen to avoid an AOE attack because now their healthbar is obstructing your vision. Doesn't help that the camera is shit and follows you up to the top of the arena, so the bottom half is by default invisible.
>followers just add to the clutter on the screen and you end up being unable to see the projectiles getting thrown around everywhere like it's a fucking touhou game at some points. You can't even issue simple commands like "do whatever you want" or "come to me", so you're likely going to lose 1 of them going full retard at a group of enemies on the other side of the screen
>the default keybindings are straight up retarded. You want to do a power attack? Better hope you're not next to a weapon as you'll pick that up instead. Trying to do an ability? Better hope there's not some random item on the ground near you because that shares a keybinding too.
>the inventory management itself kills the flow of what's suppose to be an action game. Even Holocure, where you're leveling up constantly and every levelup forces you to pause the game, feels more action packed than this
>the item/inventory UI is just awful, you can't see the full list of items you have unless you cycle through them all and there's no description, you have to pause and enter the inventory menu to see what it does if you forgot
>no save system, which the game doesn't tell you, so you have to beat the multiple stages and bosses in one sitting from 1-1 to 5-5
>if you die to a boss, you lose all your coins and get back to the 3rd stage of the level, forcing you to regrind through the waves of enemies you've seen dozens of times before
>coins are also super important because you need to upgrade your gear for better stat boosts, so you better always burn your coins every time you enter the camp. I started a level with 0 coins and died to the boss with 9k coins gained through the level. It set me back to stage 3 and I got to the boss with far less than 9k coins, you're actively punished to continue playing
>did I mention that upgrading item rarity is expensive and has a chance of failing? Only a 42% success rate from grey to green quality and then 13% chance after that. Why the fuck is this in a game where you can only go to the camp a few times for the entirety of a run?
>consumables are incredibly OP and very spammable. You'll end up doing better just spamming them at a boss than actually playing your character/build. It's really fucking stupid that you're better off spamming Baseballx45 and Pebblesx70 at a boss than getting anywhere near the piece of shit because you move so slow that they're bound to turn and hit you hard in melee range. Combine that with the low telegraphing and windup on attacks, getting in melee is a nightmare and you better have some spammable health regen.

The gameplay needs A LOT of work, it's likely much more manageable if you're playing local co-op but man, solo play fucking sucks. It's janky, slow, annoying, and it just doesn't feel good.

EDIT: I decided to play it for a few more hours and try out Botan and Lumi to see if it's just Polka or something. Nope, the game design is just as atrocious. Somehow Kay Yu has managed to make a beat 'em up game where you're discouraged from getting in melee and there's just a plethora of projectiles everywhere. Nearly all the character abilities aren't usable unless you find an opening because you're too busy dodging projectiles. There's no reason to ever use a Power Attack unless you have the item that reduces the charge time on it because yet again, you're a sitting duck and going to get assblasted. Fucking TouhouNíggers, I swear to God.

Last edited:

God's Strongest Dragoon

I ended up playing Nene just so I could have a well-rounded opinion of the game and the balance. I 100% understand why Kay Yu said this was a multiplayer game first and foremost but he's wrong. This isn't a multiplayer game, it's Nene's game. Nene is a million years better than the other 3 characters (haven't played the HoloX characters after beating the story mode).

Frankly put, if you don't have spammable healing outside of consumables, you can't play the game as a Beat'em up because there's way too many projectiles being thrown around and a bunch of enemies have super armor. Nene has a spammable AoE heal that heals her and allies, which keeps the followers alive to be actually meaningful. Ended up just gangraping the first 4 bosses with a squad of 7+ followers because I could keep them going and they just mobbed the boss. Her ult also makes her invulnerable and massively heals everyone.

Nene's second ability, the beetle, just runs around the room doing a lot of fucking damage and staggering everything, so you can actually melee enemies without worrying about all the enemies spamming their projectiles non-stop. Instead of playing keep away and just weaving in/out to get hits in with the other 3 characters, I just facetanked everything that came through and gave no fucks.

The only way this game functions in any meaningful manner is if you have Nene, it's fucking retarded. This is Nene's game. And the final boss fight is irredeemable retarded touhou shit to the max in the final phase.

@Nenélove your oshi is OP as fuck and the entire fulcrum that this game rests on

Nenélove

Menace of the Asylum
Early Adopter
Nene's Pet Latinx
Latinx/Latine
I ended up playing Nene just so I could have a well-rounded opinion of the game and the balance. I 100% understand why Kay Yu said this was a multiplayer game first and foremost but he's wrong. This isn't a multiplayer game, it's Nene's game. Nene is a million years better than the other 3 characters (haven't played the HoloX characters after beating the story mode).

Frankly put, if you don't have spammable healing outside of consumables, you can't play the game as a Beat'em up because there's way too many projectiles being thrown around and a bunch of enemies have super armor. Nene has a spammable AoE heal that heals her and allies, which keeps the followers alive to be actually meaningful. Ended up just gangraping the first 4 bosses with a squad of 7+ followers because I could keep them going and they just mobbed the boss. Her ult also makes her invulnerable and massively heals everyone.

Nene's second ability, the beetle, just runs around the room doing a lot of fucking damage and staggering everything, so you can actually melee enemies without worrying about all the enemies spamming their projectiles non-stop. Instead of playing keep away and just weaving in/out to get hits in with the other 3 characters, I just facetanked everything that came through and gave no fucks.

The only way this game functions in any meaningful manner is if you have Nene, it's fucking retarded. This is Nene's game. And the final boss fight is irredeemable retarded touhou shit to the max in the final phase.

@Nenélove your oshi is OP as fuck and the entire fulcrum that this game rests on
I already know, her heals let her sit behind everyone else and do nothing.

PleaseCheckYourReceipts

MrProcessor

Soldier of Godrick
See, this right here. This is the whole problem. The Relic who made Dawn of War existed 20 years ago. Long enough that a child could be born and get a 2 year degree. We could have BRED new game devs in this amount of time. And how long has it been since that Relic, actual Relic, has existed? Companies are like bands or artists. They have a finite number of good years in them, or good works. And that's if they stay whole.
Some randos getting their mitts on an IP and a logo and slapping it on Next Product doesn't connect it to the thing you liked at all, let alone imply that it would, or could, be as good.
Movies from Disney can never be Star Wars. Games from nu-Blizzard can never be Diablo or WoW or Starcraft. If 3 guys dragged Ringo Starr's corpse out on stage and had the IP to call themselves the Beatles, they are NOT THE FUCKING BEATLES and CANNOT MAKE A NEW BEATLES SONG.
Why the FUCK do people think it's somehow even slightly different with a game company? Divest yourselves of this belief. Culture cannot heal until we do. Relic is not making another Relic game ever again. No new Blizzard game is ever coming out, ever again. No new Mozart symphony is ever being written. No new songs are being added to Sergeant Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band. No new Star Wars movie is coming out.
I used to tell my brother, "Follow the creatives, not the brand." An example is when Iga did that Kickstarter for Bloodstained. If Konami weren't headed by idiots, he would have been making a new Castlevania for them. Instead they turned him into a competitor for no discernable reason. I like the name Bloodstained better anyway.

agility_

We have some serious streams to discuss 🔨
Early Adopter
I don't know why you are acting surprised that a free game made by a touhou fan isn't any fun in the long or mid term.I used to tell my brother,

"Follow the creatives, not the brand." An example is when Iga did that Kickstarter for Bloodstained. If Konami weren't headed by idiots, he would have been making a new Castlevania for them. Instead they turned him into a competitor for no discernable reason. I like the name Bloodstained better anyway.

Konami should have folded so long ago, but the fortunate auspices of Yugioh have kept them well over the redline.

reinigen

Dang it
Ward Security
Harada has the chance to do the funniest thing ever.

MR.T800

Why do you cry?
[- IT SEEEMS I MADE AN APPEARANCE IN IT'SAGUNDAM'S VIDEO AT 3:45 -]
[- I DID THE FAMOUS T800 SCENE OF DUAL WIELDING ENDO PLASMA RIFLES -]
[- KOTAKU WRITERS REFUSE TO WRITE 50 GAME GUIDES A WEEK - SKYNET WILL BE THEIR DOOM -]

That Chuuba Enjoyer

DM me if you have a Ed, Edd n Eddy clip
Early Adopter
Found this youtuber that's making an interesting game with 2.5 sonic battles graphics, unique breeding system, and combat similar to exanima physics combat.

Dude definitely has a lot of passion trying to make the game best it can be!

:makotomisaki:

Nenélove

Menace of the Asylum
Early Adopter
Nene's Pet Latinx
Latinx/Latine
Found this youtuber that's making an interesting game with 2.5 sonic battles graphics, unique breeding system, and combat similar to exanima physics combat.

Dude definitely has a lot of passion trying to make the game best it can be!

:makotomisaki:

Oh yeah this guy is cool.

CalciumAnimal

Drink Milk
DOW2, despite being very different from the first, is actually pretty good on its own.
wish The Last Stand was made it's own standalone game and updated it's stupidly fun (and people still play it even)

I want a Heretek building walls and fortifications while a Commisar drives a baneblade closer to hit them with his sword while a Squad of Farsight Tau pull out their replica Dawnblades and get in the damn melee.

Banana Hammock

Born to Sneed
Early Adopter
Frankly put, if you don't have spammable healing outside of consumables, you can't play the game as a Beat'em up because there's way too many projectiles being thrown around and a bunch of enemies have super armor.
I assume it gets harder later on, but I didn't have any problems beating Iroha with Botan. Those healing orbs are handed out like candy.

That said, I agree that the game isn't very good. Maybe it's better with multiplayer, but my only gamer friend isn't in to vtubers. Hopefully Kay will be able to use the assets to add NePoLaBo to Holocure.

Last edited:

God's Strongest Dragoon

I assume it gets harder later on, but I didn't have any problems beating Iroha with Botan. Those healing orbs are handed out like candy.

That said, I agree that the game isn't very good. Maybe it's better with multiplayer, but my only gamer friend isn't in to vtubers. Hopefully Kay will be able to use the assets to add NePoLaBo to Holocure.
Iroha is only stage 2. Stage 3 is where you they decide all but 1-2 enemies for the entire stage needs to have a projectile they can throw quickly. Chloe is kind of annoying but she's not too bad. Stage 4 is even more projectile spam, especially when they decide to just combo mini-bosses next to each other in the same wave and they have big AoE projectiles.

La+ boss fight is an obnoxious amount of projectile spam at some points and her final phase involves her summoning the other 4 bosses and they all do a special move at once while there's potentially elite mobs running around and attacking you.

Last edited:

ScarletCorrupt

Awawawawa (derogatory)
Saw a LobosJr video of this, it's a From Software OST guesser. I like these daily trivia games.
fromsoft-heardle.png

Takodachi

Shared joy is double joy
Early Adopter
What are the chances of Waffle House taking on the offer

CalciumAnimal

Drink Milk
What are the chances of Waffle House taking on the offer

high. Wafflehouse is one of the chains that likes free advertising last i checked.

UberSoldat

Stunned But Dumb

God's Strongest Dragoon

Famitsu physical software sales in Japan got posted a few days ago for March 19th-March 24th.
  1. [NSW] Princess Peach: Showtime! (Nintendo, 03/22/24) – 77,562 (New)
  2. [PS5] Dragon’s Dogma II (Capcom, 03/22/24) – 68,592 (New)
  3. [PS5] Rise of the Ronin (SIE, 03/22/24) – 64,646 (New)
  4. [NSW] Dragon Quest X Online: The Door to the Future and the Sleeping Girl (Square Enix, 03/21/24) – 17,919 (New)
  5. [NSW] Mario Kart 8 Deluxe (Nintendo, 04/28/17) – 9,276 (5,758,176)
  6. [NSW] Super Mario Bros. Wonder (Nintendo, 10/20/23) – 8,118 (1,795,584)
  7. [PS4] Dragon Quest X Online: The Door to the Future and the Sleeping Girl (Square Enix, 03/21/24) – 7,333 (New)
  8. [PS5] Final Fantasy VII Rebirth (Square Enix, 02/29/24) – 7,121 (305,756)
  9. [NSW] Mario vs. Donkey Kong (Nintendo, 02/16/24) – 6,987 (131,428)
  10. [NSW] Minecraft (Microsoft, 06/21/18) – 6,563 (3,476,939)
FF7 Rebirth dropped to 8th place and has only sold 305k so far, while FF16 sold 336k in its first week. The weekly sales dropped another 38% this week from 11,497 sales last week to 7,121 sales this week. If sales continue to slow down, FF7 Rebirth might not even be able to break 336k over 2 months. This is a disaster, their trilogy plan is going up in smoke.

Last edited:
Top Bottom