"Sakana, please, you have to give us the oportunity to meet each other, so we can touch each other's boobs and asses"Hakushika Iori

Vidya Games Thread

John Vtuber👁️

Sentient Eyeball, Primarch of Hag Pride Worldwide
Certified Manwhore
Remember "The Settlers"? Ubisoft brought it back last year in an attempt to capture a modern audience, and it has recently left the EGS mines for steam at a major-league 67% off box price. What a steal, right? Surely it's just as beloved as the previous Settlers games:

...One of the lead devs of the series previously left Ubisoft, and set out to make an "actual" Settlers game, released on early access and seems to be a significant improvement over what Ubisoft is doing (which, to be fair, isn't that hard to begin with):

in other news, in the absence of Civilization VII, Paradox is publishing a CIV-like to mixed reception - the developers better make substantial changes quickly before Paradox deems it not worth supporting similar to their other publishing ventures:

Enshrouded has had it's first major content update today and set a road-map in place. Remember when Blizzard shuttered their survival game project because they didn't know how to make it good/fun, and they thought that gamers didn't want survival games anymore? Turns out if you make a good game regardless of genre, instead of making it to jump on a trend, people are more likely to gravitate toward it:

The first DLC for Cities Skylines II has released, and it's beachfront property, baby! There's just no beaches, or beach-related mechanics included in the DLC. So it's currently taking a beating in reviews, peruse for your own amusement below:

I do not know why I keep doing this for free on a niche internet forum for vtubers, but it's still infinitely more work than most game journalists

Last edited:

God's Strongest Dragoon

Remember "The Settlers"? Ubisoft brought it back last year in an attempt to capture a modern audience, and it has recently left the EGS mines for steam at a major-league 67% off box price. What a steal, right? Surely it's just as beloved as the previous Settlers games:

...One of the lead devs of the series previously left Ubisoft, and set out to make an "actual" Settlers game, released on early access and seems to be a significant improvement over what Ubisoft is doing (which, to be fair, isn't that hard to begin with):

in other news, in the absence of Civilization VII, Paradox is publishing a CIV-like in early access to mixed reception - the developers better make substantial changes quickly before Paradox deems it not worth supporting similar to their other publishing ventures:

Enshrouded has had it's first major content update today and set a road-map in place. Remember when Blizzard shuttered their survival game project because they didn't know how to make it good/fun, and they thought that gamers didn't want survival games anymore? Turns out if you make a good game regardless of genre, instead of making it to jump on a trend, people are more likely to gravitate toward it:

The first DLC for Cities Skylines II has released, and it's beachfront property, baby! There's just no beaches, or beach-related mechanics included in the DLC. So it's currently taking a beating in reviews, peruse for your own amusement below:

I do not know why I keep doing this for free on a niche internet forum for vtubers, but it's still infinitely more work than most game journalists

Is the performance for Cities Skylines 2 still dogshit?

John Vtuber👁️

Certified Manwhore
Is the performance for Cities Skylines 2 still dogshit?

browsing reviews and forums, the answer is that performance is still something that needs extensive work, which runs in the face of their previous statement that they would not release new content until performance was improved to their standards

...unless they consider this being "good enough"? the game still sells copies regardless because they're the top dog in the genre, after all

God's Strongest Dragoon

browsing reviews and forums, the answer is that performance is still something that needs extensive work, which runs in the face of their previous statement that they would not release new content until performance was improved to their standards

...unless they consider this being "good enough"? the game still sells copies regardless because they're the top dog in the genre, after all
Everything I've heard about the performance is that it's deceptively "ok" but once your city grows (which is the point of the game) it very quickly goes to shit and it can't handle a decent population size.

agility_

We have some serious streams to discuss 🔨
Early Adopter
It should say on the pricetag there for Millennia, since this is a Paradox game that's just the starting fee. One of several hundreds of dollars you're going to have to keep paying over and over as they drip-feed updates, "expansions" and new modes.

God's Strongest Dragoon

It should say on the pricetag there for Millennia, since this is a Paradox game that's just the starting fee. One of several hundreds of dollars you're going to have to keep paying over and over as they drip-feed updates, "expansions" and new modes.
Yeah, I'm fine with getting milked like a paypiggy by their autism catnip games with some ridiculous DLC system but for the love of Christ, I expect the game to at least run decently.

MrProcessor

Soldier of Godrick

in other news, in the absence of Civilization VII, Paradox is publishing a CIV-like to mixed reception - the developers better make substantial changes quickly before Paradox deems it not worth supporting similar to their other publishing ventures:

Well, there's a lot of crossover between vTubers and gamers. When I first started watching Kizuna Ai, it was for her silly skits, but I think her popularity increased when she played Resident Evil:

Most of the time with vTubers I'm either watching their music videos or I'm watching them play games. (Well, except for the ones like Polka who still do comedy skits).

As to you doing it for free, thank you for your service.

Todd's Strongest Howard

Do not trust the sticker farmer.
Early Adopter
I have never played Elder Scrolls,should I play Skyrim? :ponrys:

I'd rather reply to this here than sperg about it in general, but overall the suggestion to play Skyrim or not depends on if it'd even be the type of game you'd like. It's hardly a deep game mechanically without mods that add features (and bloat), it runs and functions about as cleanly as you'd expect something to when the company meme is It Just Works, the writing isn't really anything interesting (anymore). What it does offer though, and the reason I and many others still play, is a nice, no-brain slash-and-loot dungeon diver that doesn't try to force you through 20 hours of tightly scripted gameplay before you're given all your freedom and options, no enforced build requirements to be functional in gameplay, no 8 different subsystems and submechanics to keep track of and balance alongside your main character skills. You press button, you attack thing. Kill thing, take shoes, take gold, easy life.

Deepdicking modding allows for massive expansion to all sorts of aspects of the game, from spells, weapons, NPCs, quests, so on. Like I was memeing at John Vtuber over, the Legacy of the Dragonborn mod is in itself, a huge excuse to basically 100% the game and it's status as a major mod like that means that every other majorly significant mod wants to be included, and so there's patches and additions to LOTD that add new display halls and wings to the museum for all the new mod stuff and significantly expands on the gigantic fetch quest that is, essentially, "Find all these things and do all this content to fill up the achievement hall". How enticing all that is really depends on how much you like having bragging rights rewards for inconsequential video gaming, but having it as an excuse to add in what'd probably be another 25-40 hours worth of mod-added world spaces and quest lines on top of however long it takes you to do main story can give some direction in getting it done. The storylines in mods can be very stupid though, shoutout to Project AHO having the most fucking annoying lead-in hook ever, whoever's idea it was to start spamming you with "DO YOU WANT TO START THE QUEST" pop-ups every time you fucking go through a loading screen past level 15 needs to get caned with white-hot rebar.

If you want real autism, play Morrowind instead. Unlike Skyrim, it was designed for an audience that was presumed to be deeply autistic, does nothing to make itself presentable or easy, can very simply be made unbelievably easy by exploiting very simple gameplay features, refuses to hold your hand and can be beaten in about three hours if you memorize the sequence of actions you need to take throughout the game because it turns out, NPCs are pretty much unnecessary.

The Rrat

Phoneposting, Rat-loving menace
Early Adopter
I'd rather reply to this here than sperg about it in general, but overall the suggestion to play Skyrim or not depends on if it'd even be the type of game you'd like. It's hardly a deep game mechanically without mods that add features (and bloat), it runs and functions about as cleanly as you'd expect something to when the company meme is It Just Works, the writing isn't really anything interesting (anymore). What it does offer though, and the reason I and many others still play, is a nice, no-brain slash-and-loot dungeon diver that doesn't try to force you through 20 hours of tightly scripted gameplay before you're given all your freedom and options, no enforced build requirements to be functional in gameplay, no 8 different subsystems and submechanics to keep track of and balance alongside your main character skills. You press button, you attack thing. Kill thing, take shoes, take gold, easy life.

Deepdicking modding allows for massive expansion to all sorts of aspects of the game, from spells, weapons, NPCs, quests, so on. Like I was memeing at John Vtuber over, the Legacy of the Dragonborn mod is in itself, a huge excuse to basically 100% the game and it's status as a major mod like that means that every other majorly significant mod wants to be included, and so there's patches and additions to LOTD that add new display halls and wings to the museum for all the new mod stuff and significantly expands on the gigantic fetch quest that is, essentially, "Find all these things and do all this content to fill up the achievement hall". How enticing all that is really depends on how much you like having bragging rights rewards for inconsequential video gaming, but having it as an excuse to add in what'd probably be another 25-40 hours worth of mod-added world spaces and quest lines on top of however long it takes you to do main story can give some direction in getting it done. The storylines in mods can be very stupid though, shoutout to Project AHO having the most fucking annoying lead-in hook ever, whoever's idea it was to start spamming you with "DO YOU WANT TO START THE QUEST" pop-ups every time you fucking go through a loading screen past level 15 needs to get caned with white-hot rebar.

If you want real autism, play Morrowind instead. Unlike Skyrim, it was designed for an audience that was presumed to be deeply autistic, does nothing to make itself presentable or easy, can very simply be made unbelievably easy by exploiting very simple gameplay features, refuses to hold your hand and can be beaten in about three hours if you memorize the sequence of actions you need to take throughout the game because it turns out, NPCs are pretty much unnecessary.
Or you can play Oblivion for all the unintenional hilarity from the ugly-ass models and memeable dialogue. It is also kind of in-between Morrowind and Skyrim's systems.

John Vtuber👁️

Certified Manwhore
Alternately, get Skyrim and Oblivion for Enderal and Nehrim respectively:

If you want to go even further beyond, jump to The Elder Scrolls II: Daggerfall with its Unity port and mods. Don't fret, if you are shaking in your boots at the thought of spending at least a day getting all that set up yourself, GOG has a one-click-install that has everything you need:

Daggerfall Unity - GOG Cut

JMForte

Interesting game concept, concepts like these I wish got explored more, maybe not just as an entire game, but sections.

UberSoldat

In studio news:

Embracer divests Gearbox, but will retain Gearbox Publishing San Francisco, Cryptic Studios, Lost Boys Interactive, and Captured Dimensions

Sega sells Relic Entertainment and lays off employees from Creative Assembly, Sega HARDLight, and Sega Europe

RestlessRain

Early Adopter
I know I'm supposed to feel slightly sorry for the people being laid off, but these people have been producing agitprop slop for too long. And it turns out that all the diversity hires and shit workers tend to get fired over talented people, so maybe we'll start getting good games again. Good riddance, don't let the door hit you on the way out.

MrProcessor

Soldier of Godrick
Sega sells Relic Entertainment and lays off employees from Creative Assembly, Sega HARDLight, and Sega Europe
Relic produced one of my favorite games, Warhammer 40k: Dawn of War, but that was some time ago. I never got into Dawn of War 2, or 3, but Dawn of War: Dark Crusade is a game I'd take with me if were going to be stranded on a desert island with a solar powered computer.

UberSoldat

Relic produced one of my favorite games, Warhammer 40k: Dawn of War, but that was some time ago. I never got into Dawn of War 2, or 3, but Dawn of War: Dark Crusade is a game I'd take with me if were going to be stranded on a desert island with a solar powered computer.
DOW2, despite being very different from the first, is actually pretty good on its own.

agility_

We have some serious streams to discuss 🔨
Early Adopter
Unlike the whole world, I didn't hate dawn of war 3. It was clearly a cashgrab attempt at being an esport moba, but I find the relentless abuse it gets from dawn of war fans is unduly attributed. I still play DoW Soulstorm almost weekly, that doesn't take away from the experience. The situation reminds me of gundam hipsters who feel the need to inform everyone how they didn't like Seed for whatever reason, I don't think anyone cares.

That Chuuba Enjoyer

DM me if you have a Ed, Edd n Eddy clip
Early Adopter
It's kind of funny how third games in their IPs don't do so great and cause controversy at release. Company of Heroes 3 and Dawn of War 3. :SelenHAHAhere:
Think right now company of heroes 2 has a bigger playerbase than 3 after a year since release.

Unlike the whole world, I didn't hate dawn of war 3. It was clearly a cashgrab attempt at being an esport moba, but I find the relentless abuse it gets from dawn of war fans is unduly attributed. I still play DoW Soulstorm almost weekly, that doesn't take away from the experience. The situation reminds me of gundam hipsters who feel the need to inform everyone how they didn't like Seed for whatever reason, I don't think anyone cares.
I think Dawn of War 3 would've been seen in a better light if it didn't hold the dawn of war label. Cause you have to consider how long people were waiting for a new dawn of war game, and I do vividly remember before release they were cryptic about a lot of information on the game and it had delays. I think at one point it wasn't a moba, but they kit bashed it to catch the craze.

But yeah, I think if they just called it different 40k game and advertised it as such, it wouldn't have gotten such harsh backlash.

Superduper Samurai

Early Adopter
Rip in piss, CA has been fucking up for years with only slight victories from Warhammer and Relic has been somewhat of a shell of its former self for god knows how long

Nenélove

Menace of the Asylum
Early Adopter
Nene's Pet Latinx
Latinx/Latine
I was going to write an essay about Dragon's Dogma 2, but forget that, YIIK IS BACK, BABY:

Why...?
The only good thing about the original was that one song made by toby fox.

That Chuuba Enjoyer

DM me if you have a Ed, Edd n Eddy clip
Early Adopter
do you hate water as much as the average chuuba? you should! do your part in the war against over-hydration NOW:

I took your recommendation and bought Creeper World 4. I honestly been enjoying it! Unique twist on Tower Defense, RTS games. Makes me play and think differently when the enemy is a endless expanding liquid encompassing the map. Will say, the tutorial stuff isn't that great and game doesn't explain some mechanics/UI stuff well. Despite that, I've done several missions so far. Love how it keeps adding new things that does put a wrench in my plans and encourages me to look at other ways to win.

Gets the Miko thumbs of approval!
:mikothumbsl:

Top Bottom