"I'm sorry that I've driven you into drug use!"Kaneko Lumi

The Great 5000-page Thread Split

Status
Not open for further replies.

VTuberBobDole

I understand not wanting to create a hugbox thread for each corpo, but the speed at which the main thread is moving is getting unmanageable to read/keep up with, in my opinion. (At least for me who has a job, family, other obligations, etc that I have to do.) 10+ pages a day and that is on an uneventful day. When something big happens we will be at 20-30+ pages/day I'm sure. Once whatever has been going on with Vesper and Magni is revealed officially, I bet there will be more than that. I'm kind of morbidly curious. At that point you have decide to just skip it and start replying, potentially making it worse by repeating things other people have already said, or take the time to try to read through it all and catch-up. Which by the time you've done, it is potentially past or on the downslide.

I think we should either:
1. Chunk it up into separate threads for each corpo, indie, and maybe some liveposting threads for each as well (but sounds like you aren't fond of this idea).
2. Have the jannies strictly enforce/tardrangle liveposting, vagueposting, double-posting, me too-ing, and other worthless content from the main/general thread.
OR 3. Create a "news" type thread that people could subscribe to. You could enlist an autist(s) who actually keeps up with everything in the general thread, give only them access to post in the news thread, and have them create minimal posts in that thread for news-worthy events/drama. They could then maybe also link that post to the main general thread so people can pick up where they want in the general discussion without having to wade through pages and pages of stuff to where discussion started for that event.

RhoasJonas

Capippalist
I just dont see the point in having 4-5 semi-inactive threads compared to one that has constant level of activity. A highlights feature like the homeland has would expidite catchup issues more then dead threads would.

Warspite

Tea is just leaf juice。
Early Adopter
Why no option for just a general #2? I like how it is now, and I don't want separate threads because Tribalfagging is bad.

Topo Chico

Free my nigga Nolan Crush when the thread splits. He didn't shit up this new future thread, so there's really no harm no foul ya feel me?

GOD'S STRONGEST BUILDERBEAR

"Shut up, Dazzle. I will clip your balls" -SB
Early Adopter
One thread for both. Basically leave everything as is.

Kalion

:)
I enjoy having one big general thread as it lets me keep up on all the happenings without having to browse 20 different threads.
I stopped using the Invaders liveposting thread even though I watch all of them because it seems like no one posts in it. But think we should use them for big events (gen debuts of mid-big corpos) and certain talents that would otherwise overrun the main thread.

Edit: I know it was talked about, but any progress on getting the highlight feature from the homeland?

Last edited:

yeah me

dirty grey in chat
Free nolan so the jannies can earn their pay.

Lurker McSpic

We need to increase the hag population
I personally like more the single thread thing but I'd say, if possible, add a way for users to tag their post as a holo/niji/x corpo post to maybe help people who want to only read specific posts.

Realticule

Prime Indigenous Pipkin Pippa Appreciator.
Early Adopter
I CAN STILL FIX HER
✡︎ God's Chosen Schizo ✡︎
I'm pro option one, but make it clear you can still effort post in the main thread even if the talent is live otherwise you'll end up with shit bleeding between the two threads constantly.

If the place does keep growing, you might have to break up the thread by corpos eventually, so keep in mind how you'll make a unity thread in that case now.

Tamavitch

Pig in human clothing
Why make more dead threads? Anything other than Main Thread Episode II: The Attack Of The Men With Voicechangers is just going to be a mess with dead threads and wasted time and having to chase down scattered information.
The real issue is people feeling like they need to, are entitled to, or should always "keep up" with every fucking post. This mean you, Bob. Stop. This whole "everyone needs to slow down so I can 'keep up' with everything ever" is a dogshit concept that is long past its time to be shot in the head out back like Ol' Yeller. As long as it's not exploding the site (which it might be?) then there is no reason for smaller, more "manageable" threads, period. Obviously all forums and all writing period need to strive 24/7 to have as little chaff and filler as possible, that's not addressed at all by a thread split.

Realticule

Early Adopter
I CAN STILL FIX HER
Why make more dead threads? Anything other than Main Thread Episode II: The Attack Of The Men With Voicechangers is just going to be a mess with dead threads and wasted time and having to chase down scattered information.
The real issue is people feeling like they need to, are entitled to, or should always "keep up" with every fucking post. This mean you, Bob. Stop. This whole "everyone needs to slow down so I can 'keep up' with everything ever" is a dogshit concept that is long past its time to be shot in the head out back like Ol' Yeller. As long as it's not exploding the site (which it might be?) then there is no reason for smaller, more "manageable" threads, period. Obviously all forums and all writing period need to strive 24/7 to have as little chaff and filler as possible, that's not addressed at all by a thread split.
I'm with you on the filler, but sometimes branches are needed as we can see with the Pippa thread which is massive on its own. Eventually that's going to be more common if growth happens, as the Pippa community was inherited and it's unclear how many others might be as well.

I don't think the main thread is that fast currently, at least not as far as forums go, but I'm sure you can agree that live posting is a beast of its own that's essentially filler in itself once the stream is done as it's essentially a pseudo chat.

Tamavitch

Pig in human clothing
I'm with you on the filler, but sometimes branches are needed as we can see with the Pippa thread which is massive on its own. Eventually that's going to be more common if growth happens, as the Pippa community was inherited and it's unclear how many others might be as well.

I don't think the main thread is that fast currently, at least not as far as forums go, but I'm sure you can agree that live posting is a beast of its own that's essentially filler in itself once the stream is done as it's essentially a pseudo chat.
Yeah the Pipposting needed its own thread I suppose but is there a single other case like it? We already do splits when there's a Holo debut or some shit. So who else warrants a whole separate thread?
Also note that the Pipposting would have a fraction as many posts and far less chaff if it had been kept inside the main thread, right now it has 24/7 cable news syndrome...Reticule would have been penis-exploded months ago for instance

Realticule

Early Adopter
I CAN STILL FIX HER
Yeah the Pipposting needed its own thread I suppose but is there a single other case like it? We already do splits when there's a Holo debut or some shit. So who else warrants a whole separate thread?
Also note that the Pipposting would have a fraction as many posts and far less chaff if it had been kept inside the main thread, right now it has 24/7 cable news syndrome...Reticule would have been penis-exploded months ago for instance
I don't think anyone really needs their own thread right now, or even a corpo specific thread, and the Kirsche/Invaders threads show that. Though that doesn't mean there won't be a need for it in the future as communities evolve.

As for your second part, maybe, but this has been Reticule Burgundy, stay classy San Francisco, this has been GNN the all Pippa news hour.

Aquatic Novellite

Freshwater Shiorin
Early Adopter
I'll say that I do keep up with split threads when I care. I don't really care about Pippa, so I don't keep up with that thread. I do care ahout Advent (well, about Shiori), so I keep up with the Advent thread (though it's slowly folding back into main).

I'm aware that others have had different experiences, of course, but strictly from my point of view, splitting threads by (major) corp or talent wouldn't be a problem in that regard.

What could be lost this way are "major" news and drama, which oftentimes interest people who aren't interested in the corp/talents themselves, only in the reactions their actions cause. Vshojo being the major example.

So maybe a general thread for news/drama, and another for stream/liveposting? Where the latter can, if this split alone still isn't enough, still be split by corp?

Though whether that'd work with the established thread culture is a different question.

I do tend to agree that this place is growing too big for a single main thread, but how to split it up, well, at the end of the day, one will have to test how it goes.

I did like how the Advent thread became its own thing for a while, and felt it was a very natural evolution. Alas, it's being abandoned for main, so that one didn't really work out in the end.

VTuberBobDole

Just giving my personal opinion, how I use the site, and what we might want to do in the future. Fuck me for that, almost like that is the point of this thread. I don't feel entitled and I WISH I didn't have to read every damn post and could just focus on/subscribe to the stuff I'm interested it. Pretty much how every other forum on the internet is run, even the homeland, kind of the point of them actually. It's just over there at KF that vtubers were one of many subjects, and in fact not even the main focus of the site, so we were forced to be confined to a single massive thread. But the owner of KF complained continuously about how annoying and massive our thread was and how he seemed to only keep it around because it was driving traffic to the site, even though he loathed it. So we have the chance to split off and maybe fix at least some of those issues caused by containment at a more "welcoming" place here at TVA. But it has been decided on high that yet again a single monster thread is how most of this should be run, at least up until now when maybe there is a small chance to change it with this thread/poll.

Just speaking from personal experience, it is coming to the point of triage for me. I'm beginning to come to that conclusion that it is too much to keep up with it all and something has to give. So my options are to stop coming here except for major events when I remember (this is pretty much what I did after KF went down and TVA was created, for a couple months, and it was actually kind of nice so might be a good option), or come here maybe a couple times a week when I have time, and just ignore everything that has happened in the monster thread and start fresh every time, probably asking what is going on and for info that has already been discussed but is buried 20-30 pages back and generally clutter it up. Anyway, this thread/poll came up as I was beginning to weigh my options, and I figured now was the time to speak up with my thoughts and opinions, if any.

Tyrvalla

Early Adopter
we only need General Thread #2.

I hate keeping track of multiple threads. I'd rather scroll through 50 pages every day rather than see a slow crawl of each separate thread.

Also keeps the spoonfeeding at the minimum, except for niche interest that needs to be spoonfed for the general thread.

Last edited:

Nenélove

Menace of the Asylum
Early Adopter
Nene's Pet Latinx
Latinx/Latine
Just giving my personal opinion, how I use the site, and what we might want to do in the future. Fuck me for that, almost like that is the point of this thread. I don't feel entitled and I WISH I didn't have to read every damn post and could just focus on/subscribe to the stuff I'm interested it. Pretty much how every other forum on the internet is run, even the homeland, kind of the point of them actually. It's just over there at KF that vtubers were one of many subjects, and in fact not even the main focus of the site, so we were forced to be confined to a single massive thread. But the owner of KF complained continuously about how annoying and massive our thread was and how he seemed to only keep it around because it was driving traffic to the site, even though he loathed it. So we have the chance to split off and maybe fix at least some of those issues caused by containment at a more "welcoming" place here at TVA. But it has been decided on high that yet again a single monster thread is how most of this should be run, at least up until now when maybe there is a small chance to change it with this thread/poll.

Just speaking from personal experience, it is coming to the point of triage for me. I'm beginning to come to that conclusion that it is too much to keep up with it all and something has to give. So my options are to stop coming here except for major events when I remember (this is pretty much what I did after KF went down and TVA was created, for a couple months, and it was actually kind of nice so might be a good option), or come here maybe a couple times a week when I have time, and just ignore everything that has happened in the monster thread and start fresh every time, probably asking what is going on and for info that has already been discussed but is buried 20-30 pages back and generally clutter it up. Anyway, this thread/poll came up as I was beginning to weigh my options, and I figured now was the time to speak up with my thoughts and opinions, if any.
:lolcalmdown:
Do notice that none of the vote options is keeping the status quo, and there are many valid reasons being brought up to keep the general in one piece.
Let me super honest rn, I really don't give a shit about phase or idol, or random nobody indies or whatever garbage people like to shill. I would genuinely be a happy man if I could just consume Hololive and drama 24/7 but I put up with it.
So sure! Let's just split it! It don't hurt me anyways! Just don't complain when nobody talks about your rando 2view or now you have to check 10 slow threads instead of 1 fast one and keep missing out on stuff.

Seth

Fubuki's Best Friendo

I would agree if @Empty_Inbox wasnt on the forum. He litterally does recaps for every 50 pages. I do understand that people dont have the time to read every dumb thing written on the main thread but we shouldnt have to adapt to the less actives users. Maybe if we had 10k members but we are so far from that. This is a forum to discuss vtubers. Not a vtuber newspaper or whatever

CalciumAnimal

Drink Milk
I just dont see the point in having 4-5 semi-inactive threads compared to one that has constant level of activity. A highlights feature like the homeland has would expidite catchup issues more then dead threads would.
Proctor does tend to use the thing at the top of the site when something BIG happens you know the thing you looked at to get the link to arrive here direct? that thing.
I would agree if @Empty_Inbox wasnt on the forum. He litterally does recaps for every 50 pages. I do understand that people dont have the time to read every dumb thing written on the main thread but we shouldnt have to adapt to the less actives users. Maybe if we had 10k members but we are so far from that. This is a forum to discuss vtubers. Not a vtuber newspaper or whatever
I Honestly think maybe we should give Empty his own thread or Space so we can have them very easy to browse through and search for guy does hard work and it's a shame some people miss it.

Other then that Keep general as is I get Proctor wants to slow the thread down due to usage limits and other concerns but all it's achieving is making another thread for the same amount of posts while encouraging tribalfags.

Ill agree with the need for a Dedicate Pippa Thread and to some extent Kirshe because people whould litterally not shut up about them for two talents that were not relevant to everyone. Holo is relevant to everyone because they are arguably the standard right now (and also big enough that not every post is about Marine) Ninji is relevant to everyone because being a trash fire smells up the place.

jokes aside id like to think i made my point other corpos are small enough that even site darlings like Ponwolf don't take up too much discussion space.

SZ 109

One thread for big corpos (Holo, Niji, possibly vHoeShow), one thread for indies.
Perhaps instead of splitting by corpo affiliation, threads based on the nature of the things being discussed would make more sense?

Thread 1:
For sanitized, official, idol culture related things, such as new outfits or model upgrades, upcoming debuts, merch, song covers, official concerts and events, upcoming stream schedules, official announcements, notable brand or talent collabs, and other hype for upcoming events etc. (Yagoo's dreamland)

Thread 2:
For spontaneous events, such as eventful moments during streams (be it good, such as funny moments, speedrun achievements, someone notable showing up in chat etc; or bad, such as yabs or breakdowns); or sideshows such as Twitter bickering, behind the scene discussions (agency, licensing issues, financials), leaks, rrats etc. (Where Yagoo's dreams go to die)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom