"Sleeping is just like a free trial version of death you know what I'm saying?"Axel Syrios

General Thread v3: The Hexagone

Awoogers

basic ass man who loves the british funny woman
When did brave do it?
gamebu

it was a big deal back then since they pulled it not quite long before the whole kizuna ai fiasco and the worst part they succeeded in doing so they replaced cocoa with the current one

the current one iirc is now a part of riot music and the OG and the one that i love is the lead vocalist of a jpop band

El Rrata

Gringo Tolerable
Early Adopter

jebby

Ok 👍

Lee Crabb

Resident Liacon

Awoogers

basic ass man who loves the british funny woman

Nenélove

Chief Commissar of Holochistan
Early Adopter
Nene's Pet Latinx
Latinx/Latine

Security

irc.rizon.net #TheVirtualAsylum
From my perspective as a parasite (lawyer) this whole AI thing is REALLY BAD, like unbelievably horrible and it will have major consequences.

Normally when new tech comes around, it is regulated somewhat quickly because the slow-as-fuck legal system has time to play catch up, but as technology speeds up and becomes more advanced FASTER, it becomes ever harder to catch up. Normally people would just shrug and say "Oh we will just use customs or analogy, we'll just take regulations for something similar and jury-rig them into working for this as a quick fix" but with AI there IS NOTHING SIMILAR.

It is very scary as a fledgling lawyer fresh out of college with some tech literacy to see systems around the world run by pig-headed fucking geriatrics that have had a chokehold on the entire system for centuries, who control academia and who mentor new voices in the space who should be the ones pushing for expediency and reform. But no, change is bad, change is against customary traditions and what has worked for hundreds of years in this faulty, dying system, so we can't change it even though we are facing an upheaval on the scale of the industrial revolution.

I do not like artists or creatives very much, most of them are insufferable assholes, but this kind of shit affects EVERYONE. There are semi-universal concepts in labor law, about how humans don't just have the right to work, but almost this special duty to as a part of normal life, what I've seen described as "human dignity". When you have machines replace humans and be treated like humans, it kind of... DESTROYS THE ENTIRE BASIS FOR WORKERS RIGHTS AS A WHOLE. It introduces so many funny little nooks for bad actors and companies to begin fucking around with basic human rights. You have no idea what kind of rabbit hole of madness and 80 year old legislators scratching their heads at this stuff we are about to fall into.

I pray that somebody somewhere drafts a good set of protections FAST and everyone else copies it because if nobody does we are FUCKED.

I find it funny that the first thing a lawyer thinks about is regulation.

Anyways, the lack of laws is a good thing, and there's no such thing as worker's rights.

*lights fuse to powder keg, runs*

I think one of the major medium-term effects of AI voice acting is going to be a slump in quality of product delivered to the public. AI output quality very rarely exceeds "serviceable, probably a bit wonky" in quality, and would take way more time and resources to try and iron out the kinks of a particular output, so the significant savings for the developer/producer come from just spamming the generate button a few times until they get one that they feel is "good enough". So expect a return to the era of off/flat readings that was caused by VAs being given context-less lists of lines, often not in narrative order, with little if any direction. It's cheap and the suits will convince themselves that audiences won't care enough to not consume product.

Yeah, but now any asshole with the basic ability to type words can spam hundreds of "works" with absolutely no effort. Just look at how useless Pixiv is if you don't filter AI art. Type a prompt and in 30 seconds you can make 100 variations of it to upload as "your" art, and every single one of those people is an entitled asshole that thinks they did something impressive.
AI is basically the equivalent of an asset flip video game for art/va/music/etc but requiring even less work to do.

You think VA is trash now? Just wait until everything that gets released ends up sounding like a Bethesda game where only 10 voices exists because those are all that are included for free as pre generated voices in the services they use. :depressedtako:

AI is improving rapidly, and a lot of AI voice is already better than some (most) (English) VAs. Hell, AI music is better than most shit I've heard in the past decade.

Give AI voice another year or two and it'll blow VAs out of the water.

Kazuma

Early Adopter

electronic elephant

"I am uncontrollable. I cannot be managed."—Vesper
Early Adopter
  • She was very upset when she posted that first tweet, but has accepted the situation (or so she says, I think she's still pretty pissed personally)

Ina almost had a Vesper moment.

"Without her [Kumo-mane] being a cushion between me and management, things could have gotten more heated."

Superduper Samurai

Early Adopter

"Without her [Kumo-mane] being a cushion between me and management, things could have gotten more heated."

I was joking about Ina invoking a gook curse on management but holy shit lmao

USS IOWA

Isn't rumoured that Ina has a temper problem? I'm surprised that she lasted long with tolerating with this management.

Poyoyo & Jill

KAWAYO

Punished Anime Discusser

Early Adopter

See, if it can happen to the sleepiest holo, Vesper was fully justified in calling his manager a double Yamanba femboy natto slurping, slanty eyed, ding dong bing bong, dog eating, rat fuck who should've gotten Xcom sorted if he didn't want a third nuke dropped on Tokyo.

Todd's Strongest Howard

Do not trust the sticker farmer.
Early Adopter
AI is improving rapidly, and a lot of AI voice is already better than some (most) (English) VAs. Hell, AI music is better than most shit I've heard in the past decade.

Give AI voice another year or two and it'll blow VAs out of the water.

How much longer do we have to wait for AI to blow them out of their "living" status though, like the rest of us?

AI apocalypse when?

Svarog

Saviorfag
Early Adopter
Bibi's anniversary stream :sanasmile:

Isa playing Dicey Dungeons

Security

irc.rizon.net #TheVirtualAsylum
How much longer do we have to wait for AI to blow them out of their "living" status though, like the rest of us?

AI apocalypse when?

Depends on how much they pay off politicians lobby for protections regulations.

If they don't pay enough are too slow, it could really be in the next few years that all games are AI voiced. Anime and TV soon after.

Bronze

Runie's having a black rose lounge with halloween theme

electronic elephant

"I am uncontrollable. I cannot be managed."—Vesper
Early Adopter
I'm looking for the exact moment but it's a two hour stream with no timestamps so it'll be a minute.
PSA: Many youtube videos have a "Show transcript" button in the description that will display the auto-generated subtitles. This is very helpful when trying to find a timestamp of a moment from a stream because you can ctrl+F for particular words or phrases (though the caveat is the youtube AI often transcribes things incorrectly, so you need to pick words to search that youtube is likely to have gotten right). Also, it may take a couple hours after a livestream finishes for the transcript to become available.

youtube_show_transcript.JPG

Last edited:

mismatch

Man, Ina is a fucking saint for being as chill as she is about this whole thing. So basically:

1. It's definitely Cover's fault, and,
2. She doesn't expect to be reimbursed for any of her expenses for her time in japan, despite the fact that she's having to delay, reschedule, and scramble to account for the time's she's not allowed to work.

Her choice is either to cancel those plans entirely and eat the cost of the entire japan trip for nothing, but at least she can stay home and stream, or take a multi-month unpaid vacation so that she doesn't completely waste her money. Steam would be coming out of my ears if that shit happened to me.

If this shit had happened to Kiara, the responsible staff-san('s lifeless corpse) would end up on Japanese news the following day.

Kazuma

Early Adopter
Top Bottom