"You want your balls glowing?"Moona Hoshinova

General Thread v2: Enhanced Segregation Techniques!

Sithis

Dread Father
Early Adopter
View attachment 61847
in Runie's stream
Quite some time before it got removed
It didn't help that Runie called out a comment that said "N is for normie" right below it so anyone scrolling to find that comment would see it... Or maybe it did help :smugpipi:
Quite a few other nations have currencies that make things like membership gifting very cheap. India, Ukraine, Turkey, Brazil, etc.

For a mere $50 USD you can blow up any small corpo vtuber membership. It would probably be hard to hit the cap with someone like a Hololive member. I believe it prioritizes people that have typed in chat on the channel before then trickles down to people who have merely watched them. You also have to opt in to receiving membership gifts on a channel, limiting the potential pool of giftees even further.
Hmm interesting, thank you for the information

Seth

Fubuki's Best Friendo
So if i understand correctly the talent receives basically nothing in terms of money with a shitty currency and yet more people get access to their paywalled content? I get it if its to troll people but why do that if you genuinely care for the talent?

GOD'S STRONGEST BUILDERBEAR

"Shut up, Dazzle. I will clip your balls" -SB
Early Adopter
Femboy voicetrains. He has quite a range actually

Negzana

Lui failed last night to beat the superboss. Second time's the charm

Superduper Samurai

Early Adopter
I get it if its to troll people but why do that if you genuinely care for the talent?
You got it right the first time, its a way to jew people out of non-monopoly money with as little as 1.50USD in third world funbucks

Johnny Jambalaya

99%
Early Adopter
Ward Security
They changed the gifting option from opt in to opt out a while back...
Looks like you still have to opt-in globally still. Per Google's help page on it:
Viewers must opt-in to be eligible for gift memberships. Once you have opted-in, you are now eligible to receive gift memberships on any channel with gifting enabled that you have interacted with recently (for example, by watching a video on that channel). When you receive a gift, it will be automatically applied to your account, giving you access to special perks like badges and custom emojis.

If you previously opted-in for a specific channel only, you are still eligible to receive gifts on that channel. You will still need to opt-in globally to be eligible to receive gifts on other channels.

To opt in for gift memberships, you must be signed in with a YouTube channel that isn’t a Brand Account. Check if you’re on a Brand Account. Right now, channel members aren’t eligible to get gift memberships.

So if i understand correctly the talent receives basically nothing in terms of money with a shitty currency and yet more people get access to their paywalled content? I get it if its to troll people but why do that if you genuinely care for the talent?
Gifting a bunch of memberships or large/many superchats gets you attention from the streamer. Some people just want the attention regardless if they are actually supporting the talent in a material way or not.

God's Strongest Dragoon

A lot of people have turned on receiving gifted memberships for all channels as a default. A lot of people will pop their head into a stream, maybe make a comment or two and watch like 10 minutes, and then leave. Maybe it was a dull moment of the stream when they started watching or it just wasn't a great stream and now that person won't watch that streamer again. Youtube will probably give that viewer at most a few recommendations of that channel again if they didn't subscribe and if they don't click on those recommendations from youtube, that talent will stop being advertised to them because the algorithm prioritizes things you click on and deprioritizes stuff you don't click on.

If the channel is absolutely flooded with memberships, those randos are going to be gifted a membership and now they're getting that talent's member videos and posts in their feed. The hope is that it will convince the rando that got gifted the membership to give the talent another chance and watch some of their membership streams because "oh, the gifted membership is going to run out soon and I won't have access to this content again".

You're forcing that talent into someone's feed and then using FOMO to get them to watch the talent more and give that talent another chance to potentially get the viewer interested enough to become a regular watcher. You're advertising that streamer to 50 people for an entire month. In terms of advertising costs, ~1-2 USD for a month of advertising to 50 people is a pretty good ad campaign because it includes a level of FOMO to get them to watch the membership streams and it hits people with adblock.

Suppose it's some random 2view streamer that has had maybe dozens or hundreds of viewers drive-by, not enjoy the stream, and then never watch them again. Maybe the 2view was pretty awful at streaming when they just started out and now that they're more comfortable and found they're groove, they have to deal with the consequence that those "drive-by viewers" are now not going to be recommended to them. Someone decides to spend $10 USD to gift like 250 memberships to that 2view streamer and now all those people that did a drive-by over the past few months are getting a solid month of advertising that penetrates their adblock and tries to FOMO them into watching membership streams.

Last edited:

The Rratarded Alt

Rat-girl Idol Connoisseur

In 4 minutes!

Goddamn that was nice. I love the art designs. While it may not have been animated, it at least looked nice and colorful. Everyone sounded good, too. Mumei especially stood out with those low-pitch vocals. :shiinastare:

Edit: Bae confirmed the guest is coming and on the way now.

Short

God Damn the Sun
A lot of people have turned on receiving gifted memberships for all channels as a default. A lot of people will pop their head into a stream, maybe make a comment or two and watch like 10 minutes, and then leave. Maybe it was a dull moment of the stream when they started watching or it just wasn't a great stream and now that person won't watch that streamer again. Youtube will probably give that viewer at most a few recommendations of that channel again if they didn't subscribe and if they don't click on those recommendations from youtube, that talent will stop being advertised to them because the algorithm prioritizes things you click on and deprioritizes stuff you don't click on.

If the channel is absolutely flooded with memberships, those randos are going to be gifted a membership and now they're getting that talent's member videos and posts in their feed. The hope is that it will convince the rando that got gifted the membership to give the talent another chance and watch some of their membership streams because "oh, the gifted membership is going to run out soon and I won't have access to this content again".

You're forcing that talent into someone's feed and then using FOMO to get them to watch the talent more and give that talent another chance to potentially get the viewer interested enough to become a regular watcher. You're advertising that streamer to 50 people for an entire month. In terms of advertising costs, ~1-2 USD for a month of advertising to 50 people is a pretty good ad campaign because it includes a level of FOMO to get them to watch the membership streams and it hits people with adblock.
If this becomes common the FOMO part will die, though I have seen several comments on both Natumi's chat and on pcg of people who received an email or a YouTube notification about my member gifts, and those people tend to stay for a while watching the stream so I guess it does work as an ad lol.

naganon

#1 Hexa Fan
Hexa is live with the first Sonichu Saturday. I think she will be watching the documentary by GenoSamuel.

Edit:
brave-Na-KSo85-A90.png

:whatastory:

mysticdreamlife

Miia Enjoyer

ValkyrieAce

in a toxic relationship with IRyS
Goddamn that was nice. I love the art designs. While it may not have been animated, it at least looked nice and colorful. Everyone sounded good, too. Mumei especially stood out with those low-pitch vocals. :shiinastare:

Edit: Bae confirmed the guest is coming and on the way now.
Kronii's lines might have awakened something in me too...

God's Strongest Dragoon

If this becomes common the FOMO part will die, though I have seen several comments on both Natumi's chat and on pcg of people who received an email or a YouTube notification about my member gifts, and those people tend to stay for a while watching the stream so I guess it does work as an ad lol.
I added a part into my comment while you quoted but yeah, it is a very effective method for helping 2views. If you're some random 2view streamer, you were likely legitimately shitty at streaming at first and the "2 view scouting" viewers didn't care for your stream and wrote you off. Now that it's like 3 months later and you've found your groove with streaming, you have to deal with the fact that those dozens, if not hundreds, of drive-by viewers aren't going to receive youtube recommendations for your channel.

A $10 superchat might be nice but you could spend that $10 and buy like 250 gifted memberships with monopoly money and advertise to all those "missed connections" for a month straight. The streamer is still receiving effectively $10 but now they're being advertised to a fuck ton of people for a solid month. That could be the way that the streamer slowly pushes from 2 view to very low 3view.

The Rratarded Alt

Rat-girl Idol Connoisseur
Kronii's lines might have awakened something in me too...
Oh yeah, she sounded really good, too. Mumei threw me off so hard I didn't even remember how good Kronii sounded in this.

Bae also said she didn't even ask Mumei to sing that low, she couldn't believe it, either.

mysticdreamlife

Miia Enjoyer
Hexa is live with the first Sonichu Saturday. I think she will be watching the documentary by GenoSamuel.

Edit:
brave-Na-KSo85-A90.png

:whatastory:

1705809286402.png

Well @midori , you can always cover our dear friend Nolan Crush in the future. At least he doesn't sing....right? I hope not.

I still need to finish that huge mega thread on him once I've got enough booze in me to endure it all.

Renmai

Shiori, what the fuck are you talking about?
Early Adopter

Gintoki

White Yaksha
Early Adopter

A members post a few days ago and now a tweet? Slow down, Gura. You're going to kill the chumbuds. They have been without content for so long that this is like trying to feed a starving man a three course dinner.

Negzana

A members post a few days ago and now a tweet? Slow down, Gura. You're going to kill the chumbuds. They have been without content for so long that this is like trying to feed a starving man a three course dinner.
They're gonna need it. Next Gura content drop will probably be in 2 months for Holofes.

soap suds

Seems like the rrats about Kotoka being at fault for Mel's termination got to her. I mean, if I was blamed for a friend losing her job I would also find the internet tiring.

God's Strongest Dragoon

They're gonna need it. Next Gura content drop will probably be in 2 months for Holofes.
Valentine's Day is less than a month away. Cover is going to force her to do a stream for that and then she'll fuck off again. Maybe she'll try to do a few streams before Valentine's Day to make it look like she didn't just show up to shill Valentine's Day merch for the desperate losers in her fanbase. We saw recently how turbo parasocial boo bros are and there's a big overlap between boo bros and chumbuds.

Top Bottom