"Remember chat: people get mad if you say futa. You need to say 'ladyboy from Thailand'"Amanogawa Shiina

Vidya Games Thread

masterstocking

Dogs are forever in the push-up position
Early Adopter
The Xbox didn't come out until over a year after the PS2, and it required a separate IR adaptor be bought to play DVD movies (which the PS2 played out of the box). I definitely remember people buying the PS2 just for the DVD player, DVD players were expensive back then and the PS2 was considered a good price just for that ability, let alone the games.

Same for the PS3: it had a Blu-Ray player included for less than the cost of an actual Blu-Ray player at the time. I still have one of the original backwards-compatible ones

Off-topic tax:

Iron Polka by @yuu_roro.jpg

akaaoi

I don't think so. When I tried that shit my parents said it wouldn't work and were surprised when it did. They didn't know anything about it.
Maybe the disc read as a game to the console and bypassed the security, I don't know.

But the original xbox was setup that way for a reason - it was primarily intended as a games machine (unlike the PS2, which Sony wanted to be a general entertainment system that could play movies and CD music), so they didn't pay for a general DVD movie license for the console because that would have bumped the price up (on a console that Microsoft was already selling at a loss in order to become a competitor to Sony). Buying the DVD playback kit with the remote and the IR sensor meant you were buying a DVD license, which was their way of getting around that.

agility_

We have some serious streams to discuss 🔨
Early Adopter
I love my PS2 library as much as anyone else but my ass will always have stronger feelings for the PSX/Dreamcast era growing up.

God's Strongest Dragoon

Are you retarded, I used my xbox original to play the Incredibles movie as a kid. That feature was not exclusive!
Right, the Xbox didn't play DVDs, mm hmm mm hmm
The Xbox did not play DVDs at launch. This was because the Xbox used the Dolby Interactive Content Encoder for encoding multichannel audio into Dolby Digital 5.1. While this was great for game audio, this was a problem as Microsoft would have to pay licensing for 5.1-encoded DVD movie/audio playback. They would have had to pay the Dolby license for EACH Xbox console if they wanted it to play DVDs out of the box, which would have increased the console's price and would have made them look worse compared to Sony's PS2. The solution was that they pushed the licensing cost from the original Xbox to the Xbox DVD playback kit, which was a remote and dongle that had the Dolby license and would enable your Xbox to play DVDs.
This had actually turbo fucked the original Xbox because while the Xbox DVD playback kit was only $20, it was still an additional purchase on top of the $300 console price. The Xbox DVD playback kit was seen as an accessory so a lot of people didn't know the Xbox could play DVDs and Microsoft couldn't advertise their console played DVDs without saying "and be sure to give us $20 to play DVDs". The people that knew the Xbox could play DVDs just saw it as Microsoft being greedy. Meanwhile Sony had heavily marketed the PS2's ability to play DVDs right out of the box.

And for forcing me to write all this, I would like to leave you retards with this bit of advice

Ensok

Early Adopter
The Xbox did not play DVDs at launch. This was because the Xbox used the Dolby Interactive Content Encoder for encoding multichannel audio into Dolby Digital 5.1. While this was great for game audio, this was a problem as Microsoft would have to pay licensing for 5.1-encoded DVD movie/audio playback. They would have had to pay the Dolby license for EACH Xbox console if they wanted it to play DVDs out of the box, which would have increased the console's price and would have made them look worse compared to Sony's PS2. The solution was that they pushed the licensing cost from the original Xbox to the Xbox DVD playback kit, which was a remote and dongle that had the Dolby license and would enable your Xbox to play DVDs.
This had actually turbo fucked the original Xbox because while the Xbox DVD playback kit was only $20, it was still an additional purchase on top of the $300 console price. The Xbox DVD playback kit was seen as an accessory so a lot of people didn't know the Xbox could play DVDs and Microsoft couldn't advertise their console played DVDs without saying "and be sure to give us $20 to play DVDs". The people that knew the Xbox could play DVDs just saw it as Microsoft being greedy. Meanwhile Sony had heavily marketed the PS2's ability to play DVDs right out of the box.

And for forcing me to write all this, I would like to leave you retards with this bit of advice
I mean personally I'd still rather have good games on my game console than be able to play dvds.

RestlessRain

Early Adopter
I mean personally I'd still rather have good games on my game console than be able to play dvds.
The PS2 has one of the greatest game libraries ever - even if you absolutely despise JRPGs - and could play DVDs without issue. There are some great games on original xbox, but it simply does not compare.

Topo Chico

The PS2 has one of the greatest game libraries ever - even if you absolutely despise JRPGs - and could play DVDs without issue. There are some great games on original xbox, but it simply does not compare.
Also the original Xbox controller was cringe, the Ps2 controller beat the shit out of it in comfort.
1684974655923.png

Disgusting :ewww:

Brosnan Pierce Brosnan

God's Strongest Smartass
Dizzy's Husband

superduper

Gods Strongest Chiramigo
Nolan's Widow
Early Adopter
Rie's Publicist
The Xbox original had Crimson Skies. This alone allows it to beat the shit out of and rape the other consoles in a dark alleyway. It simply does not compare.

God's Strongest Dragoon

This was the year 2000, Gamers as an audience were insignificant compared to what the real target audience was. The PS2's marketing was designed to go after two groups
>People that wanted to play games and DVDs
>Parents that wanted to play DVDs
The first group they would gain an advantange with over the Xbox because of that Dolby licensing issue making Xbox look bad. Meanwhile the parents, the ones buying the consoles for the kid, didn't follow all the details regarding the console. They didn't know that the Xbox could play DVDs if they bought this $20 add-on, what they knew was that the PS2 could play DVDs. Considering that a DVD player in 2000 could cost several hundred dollars, it made the PS2 effectively one of the cheapest DVD players on the market. So when Christmas rolled around and they had to choose which console to get their kids, they overwhelming bought the PS2 because they could make their kid happy while buying a DVD player for themselves.
Not to mention GTA 3/VC/SA released a year earlier on the PS2 over the Xbox. Those 3 games were colossal hits.

Brosnan Pierce Brosnan

God's Strongest Smartass
Dizzy's Husband
Not to derail the thread. But I remember getting a DVD player early in 2001 simply because you couldn't find a ps2 anywhere

Anyway, just a PC/GameCube fag here. Carry on

(Pcs also had dvd drives as early as 98)

Lurker McSpic

We need to increase the hag population
The original xbox was for Yamanbas, that's why they made the controller like that, so if you liked the original xbox you're a Yamanba.

superduper

Gods Strongest Chiramigo
Nolan's Widow
Early Adopter
Rie's Publicist
The original xbox was for Yamanbas, that's why they made the controller like that, so if you liked the original xbox you're a Yamanba.
Only femboys liked Playstation and Gamecube back in the day. Those were the kids I would slam into walls because of how soy they were. They had no taste in gaming and thought games like GTA were groundbreaking fun because they never played KOTOR and Crimson Skies!

Negzana

I grew up on Xbox for Halo even though I preferred Nintendo. Always been a PC person when I wasn't on a gameboy or DS.

God's Strongest Wardog

Wigger Daisenpai Stan
I'm hyped for Snake Eater Delta. I didn't have a reaction like Pomu did, but I am happy for once that Konami didn't just slap the IP into yet another pachinko machine.

I am, however, already sick of the Yamanbas bitching about "iTs nOt ThE sAmE wItHoUt KuMjImMeRs" like grow the fuck up.

Punished Anime Discusser

Early Adopter
"iTs nOt ThE sAmE wItHoUt KuMjImMeRs"
Kojimacucks seem to conveniently forget how utterly shit MGS4 and 5 were in most aspects, and how Peace Walker existed in general.

God's Strongest Wardog

Wigger Daisenpai Stan
Kojimacucks seem to conveniently forget how utterly shit MGS4 and 5 were in most aspects, and how Peace Walker existed in general.
While I could never play 4, I am in my second playthrough of 5 and it's frankly like the cutscenes and gameplay come from two completely unrelated games.

And the less said about how he couldn't turn in a finished* game despite an 80 million dollar budget, the better.

Hotdogs Aplenty

King Shiori Poster
Early Adopter

Jolted Cookies

Ohmies don't snitch
Early Adopter
  • tOo MAnY biLliOnAires hurr durr - hard pass... man Sony BOUGHT this studio too!
  • I liked Helldivers, just not sure what kind of legs the sequeal will have
  • I'm down for more Ghost Runner, but some of the platforming in the first game was excruciating
  • Phantom blade zero, intrigued
  • *sees neon SE sign* THE BOUNCER?!? ...no, whatever the fuck this shit is (worst game in the showcase)
  • huh... calling it MGS Delta makes it seem like they may be going the FF7 remake route
  • I'm on board for FF XVI, but the whole "going against fate" is just the XIII story again
  • AW2 just reminds me I need to play the first game again; looks good
  • AC:M has the look and feel of the first game, so VERY cautiously optimistic
  • I really want to be All-in on Re:link, but some of this footage just makes it looks like a bad MH clone. Hopefully it'll come out this year
  • DRAGONS DOGMA 2 GAMEPLAY! LET'S GO!
  • Bungie rebooting Marathon and bringing back Cayde; busy bees over there
  • And of course, Spider-Man will be great I'm sure

braindoko

its good to know I'm among fellow artistic people that hyperfocus about topics so much we need wranglers :SelenHAHAhere:
My experience is different from almost everyone, my parents got me a PS2 without knowing it was a DVD player so they bought DVD players before and after and they kept failing so they bought more, I never had to share the Pee Es Double with the family :whatastory:
As for the Xbox I didn't even know it existed until I saw Xzibit put one inside a guy's car because it seens M$ only cared about the US market

Top Bottom