"Are moths the goth version of butterflies?"Ceres Fauna

Vidya Games Thread

Faceless Waifu

prompt: 1girl, solo, faceless
Early Adopter
>Metro 2033 is remade with the Metro: Last Light game engine
This doesn't mean much for LL but it's more of a change to 2033 as the UI is now the same across both and the mechanics are the same with stuff from LL carrying over to 2033 like stealth takedowns, weapon customization, wiping your mask, armor system is the same as LL, and some other stuff. The Metro 2033 looks a lot better as the studio was a lot smaller and had a much smaller budget when they first made 2033.
I have been replaying it since I bought it two days ago and I'm enjoying the changes so far. It feels more decent looking, though I kinda mis-remembering certain things that ended up put me off once or twice. I much prefer Last Light's stealth than the original so it's a massive plus to me, that and the whole "yey I can knock off people instead of killing them!"

I'll probably go straight to LL Redux after I cleared this one. Just one more level.

Random stuff, but I discovered that someone who spent his time digging around Spec Ops: The Line beta stuff managed to make a mod that lets you change the camera settings, allowing you to change how far away the camera is when playing and the best of all, Freecam mode. As someone who's into making cool screenshots, this is pretty neat thingie since it allows you to make shits like these:

20230627011329_1.jpg
20230702175443_1.jpg
20230701095106_1.jpg

PleaseCheckYourReceipts

@Jambalaya I don't think it's quite settled to Ubisoft how badly they screwed up not going to Japan with AC a decade ago. The place literally gives you a solid 5 major eras, spanning 1500 years where, historically, a bunch of events turned on the deaths of major players. Sometimes randomly. The most blatant is obvious Oda Nobunaga, but that could be saved for game 3.

Related, but the Ghost of Tsushima developers are now legends on the island of Tsushima and have lead to a tourism boom for the island. The positive things when you make a good game and respect the people players and the history.

ogey_rrat

ogey
They finally showed a gameplay walkthrough of Mirage and it had a fuck ton of hate. The whole "we're returning to the roots" to try to court old fans backfired massively after people saw a bunch of things they were lukewarm on and then it ended with the PC doing some magic move bullshit.

Hitman Absolution had a very similar point shooting mechanic that to my knowledge was never brought back in future releases because nobody liked it, and that game came out over a decade ago. If I were a higher up at Ubisoft, I'd start worrying because none of their recent games have been very successful, and the last non-mediocre AC game turns 10 this year.

Punished Anime Discusser

Early Adopter
They finally showed a gameplay walkthrough of Mirage and it had a fuck ton of hate. The whole "we're returning to the roots" to try to court old fans backfired massively after people saw a bunch of things they were lukewarm on and then it ended with the PC doing some magic move bullshit.

Not to mention the Assassin's Creed that's suppose to be set in Japan is being done by the team that did Odyssey, so no one is expecting that to be good. They were holding onto the Feudal Japan setting in their back pocket like it was a "break glass in case of emergency" situation because they knew everyone wanted it and there has been a severe drought of Western games set in that era. Then Ghost of Tsushima showed up out of nowhere, stole their "get out of jail" card, and then did their formula better than them. Now when they do their Feudal Japan game, it is 100% going to be compared to Ghost and it's going to fuck them hard.

I'm still angry about this. That game deserved better.

Splinter Cell's corpse has been moldering in the broom closet for so long that the Mark & Execute cancer spread to AssCreed. Mirage also looks ugly as fuck, and the animation for it seems really off, but I couldn't tell you how exactly.

The Holiest Hole

Needs to stop using imgur links

reinigen

Dang it
Ward Security
Has anyone played FFXVI and care to share their thoughts? I just bought it, and it's my first Final Fantasy game. I am excited to try it, mostly because I haven't played anything new in a while now.
I'm a handful of hours i to the game, around level 27 or so. Been enjoying it so far.

It is a Final Fantasy game first, and an action game second. Meaning there will be lots of story and dialog with bits of action between. If you aren't a fan of story focused games it might not be for you.

I also see a lot of people complaining about all of the cutscenes. I think it's a shit complaint though because they've essentially turned all of the dialog boxes you would click and read through into voice acted cut scenes. And Final Fantasy has always been dialog heavy.

On the whole I've been enjoying it so far, and I can see a lot of the complaints online are either people who have never played a mainline Final Fantasy game before and had bad expectations, or people who are genuine haters looking for any thing they can to complain. There are absolutely criticisms to levy against the game, but I'm seeing much less of that then the shit stirring.

Todd's Strongest Howard

Do not trust the sticker farmer.
Early Adopter
Hitman Absolution had a very similar point shooting mechanic that to my knowledge was never brought back in future releases because nobody liked it, and that game came out over a decade ago. If I were a higher up at Ubisoft, I'd start worrying because none of their recent games have been very successful, and the last non-mediocre AC game turns 10 this year.

Absolution tried to be more action-y, or like a cinematic thriller with it's direction, working out more like interactive movie setpieces than how the rest of the series had been to that point and it didn't work. Despite the dogshit monetization scheme for the World of Assassination trilogy at least they went back to a quality formula even if there's still no sane bundle to get all the content at once, you'll still get nickel and dimed on some small pieces if you want everything-everything.

I also see a lot of people complaining about all of the cutscenes. I think it's a shit complaint though because they've essentially turned all of the dialog boxes you would click and read through into voice acted cut scenes. And Final Fantasy has always been dialog heavy.

On the whole I've been enjoying it so far, and I can see a lot of the complaints online are either people who have never played a mainline Final Fantasy game before and had bad expectations, or people who are genuine haters looking for any thing they can to complain. There are absolutely criticisms to levy against the game, but I'm seeing much less of that then the shit stirring.

For real. "Oh my god a Final Fantasy game is full of a lot of talking and cutscenes this is such a bad game!" Motherfucker what series do you think you're playing? This is like going into Metal Gear Solid and being like "The game is alright I just wish it wasn't a movie." I'm aching for it to come to PC.

Would you recommend I play the Drakengard games to get fully immersed in the side quest? I heard mixed things about Drakengard 1 and 2 being kind of shit. I can always just fire up the emulators to play them.
Drakengard 1 is a terrible videogame that will hurt you physically, emotionally, and on an existential level due to how terrible it is. It is designed to grind your will down and make you miserable. You can play it, you can also just watch it on Youtube.

Drakengard 2 is a shit game that is basically a non-canon spinoff-story made by Ubisoft. Easy skip.

Drakengard 3 is pretty OK, but suffered shit performance on PS3, is pretty alright on emulator from what I heard. Worth a playthrough

NIER and the remake are god damn fantastic, the original having crusty gameplay, and the remake being better in all respects except a butchered soundtrack. Would recommend the remake because it has more content, and is generally better.

Drakengard is definitely a rough game but it gives you most of the context to understand things overall. 2 is irrelevant to the story. 3 is a prequel to 1, so the flow to fully understand the story is 3->1->Nier. I like the series and unironically loved the Drakengard games but trust me when I say you're probably better watching a playthrough or an overview at least. There is nothing to gain from experiencing the gameplay personally.

Has anyone played FFXVI and care to share their thoughts? I just bought it, and it's my first Final Fantasy game. I am excited to try it, mostly because I haven't played anything new in a while now.

You bought 16. I've bought literally everything else but 16 in this current sale. Cost me near $400 to complete the franchise and adjacent but I finally have it all in one place.

reinigen

Dang it
Ward Security
This indie game hit my radar, and the premise sounds great. I love the "Dungeon explorer by day, shop owner by night" style games. And this one sounds unique. Scuba diver by day, sushi restaurant sim by night.
1688519700719.png

Reviews are stellar for a game that came out less than a week ago, and the amount of reviews is staggering for such a small game. And it's only $20 too, so can't go wrong with that price.

I am excited to try it, mostly because I haven't played anything new in a while now.

You bought 16. I've bought literally everything else but 16 in this current sale. Cost me near $400 to complete the franchise and adjacent but I finally have it all in one place.
Going to add to Todd's point here. If you enjoy the game, try some of the older ones out. I'd recommend avoiding 13 and its offshoots as well as 15, as they are generally regarded as the worst. I'd also avoid the FF7 Remake too until you've played the original. I can't explain why (spoilers), it's just really advised to play the OG first.

If you enjoy the heavy political storyline from 16 too, I'd go for FF12-Zodiac Age next. If you want to experience more of what an OG Final Fantasy was like, go for FF10 or all the way back to FF6 IMO. Both are considered the bests in their series.

Harrow Prime

Among Other Names.
Early Adopter
Kronii's Husband
Well, I looked at all the others and none of them piqued my interest as much as 16, so that's why I got it.
Going to add to Todd's point here. If you enjoy the game, try some of the older ones out. I'd recommend avoiding 13 and its offshoots as well as 15, as they are generally regarded as the worst. I'd also avoid the FF7 Remake too until you've played the original. I can't explain why (spoilers), it's just really advised to play the OG first.

If you enjoy the heavy political storyline from 16 too, I'd go for FF12-Zodiac Age next. If you want to experience more of what an OG Final Fantasy was like, go for FF10 or all the way back to FF6 IMO. Both are considered the bests in their series.
Hopefully after I'm done with this one I'll be more open to trying the previous games. None of those really seemed up my alley from what I've seen, but I said the same thing about Persona and I ended up enjoying that. I was really on the verge of trying out 13 since it was on Game Pass, but I decided against it. Guess I was correct in doing so?

Todd's Strongest Howard

Early Adopter

Well, I looked at all the others and none of them piqued my interest as much as 16, so that's why I got it.

Hopefully after I'm done with this one I'll be more open to trying the previous games. None of those really seemed up my alley from what I've seen, but I said the same thing about Persona and I ended up enjoying that. I was really on the verge of trying out 13 since it was on Game Pass, but I decided against it. Guess I was correct in doing so?

Aw fuck autism incoming.

Original 7 is important to have the context for 7 Remake, otherwise 7 Remake would come across a little nonsensical with it's delivery. It might be spoilery to say, but 7 Remake isn't meant to be a standalone or a replacement, you need to already know the story of 7 to really appreciate Remake.

I kind of like 13 but it's definitely not the greatest, Blinded by Light is such a good battle theme though. Heard it for the first time in Dissidia 012 and the song alone convinced me to play the game after avoiding it for years. The story in 13 is a bit what the fuck and the writing I remember being a bit fucking loopy, I can't remember specifics off the top of my head but there was like a solid 40% of the game I remember thinking "Just fucking kill each other and shut up". 13-2 is... a game. I'm not entirely against it but it definitely felt weird and I think there was too big a gap between playing 13 and 13-2 to really connect the story, I got lost in the sauce, got close to the end but ended up sidetracked with something in the game (probably grinding out monster companions) and didn't finish. Never got around to Lightning Returns because by then I just wasn't sold. Also never really got much into 15 but I'm going to force myself through it now that I've gotten the full series.

My takes: 1 and 2 aren't terribly important, I actually don't think I've ever played 2 to any real degree to be honest, 1 is good to see where it all started but you're not missing a ton. FF3 and 4 are both good games, 4 is one of my personal favourites of the series and has some of my favourite music of the franchise and I'm still super gassed that the latest FF14 expansion rolled with a lot of FF4 themes initially and then went hardcore into fanservice storyline for the post-launch content. The 3d remakes of 3 and 4 are also cheaper than the Pixel Remasters by a lot, so you're not out near as much. I hear 4: The After Years is bad, I'm sure I'll find out. 5 isn't bad but I'll be honest, I don't recall a lot about it in isolation. 6 is a good entry, a lot of iconic songs in that one, one of the better stories of the series and the iconic laugh. 7 is good, some classic bangers on the OST but some really annoying segments and if you're super autistic materia will drive you nuts, and like I've already said, 7 Remake isn't a replacement. There's also a shitload of other games that form a giant nebula of autism around 7 that aren't really available beyond Crisis Core which is also kind of important to understand some broader aspects of 7 in general but will be important to understand 7 Remake and 7 Rebirth which is coming. 8 is okay but has some gameplay features that make it super easy to break if you like playing card games. I can't recommend 9 because I never got to disc 2 any of the times I tried to play it in the past, I just don't like the cast. 10 is again a pretty decent game overall but it's been so long since I've played it I can't remember much specifically other than dodging 200 lightning bolts in a row without fucking up the timing, 10-2 is a skip unless you're super invested, you're not missing anything important.

12 is one I've been meaning to revisit since I don't remember a lot from it and I think I only got halfway through it or so, I understand the Zodiac Age release on Steam has some alterations to progression for the characters and that might make it a bit easier to get through since I got choked out autismgrinding license points back in the day. To be honest I feel like 60% of the selling point for FF12 was based around it being shared setting with the FF Tactics Advance setting and how unbelievably fuckable rich and developed the resident bunnywoman Fran is. 11 and 14 both skipped for being MMOs, though while 11 is pretty barren and painful to play unless you are fatally autistic, 14 is an award-winning MMORPG with a fre- force of habit, it's actually got a pretty decent story for being an MMO and SE is taking a lot of efforts to put systems into the game so that a player can complete the entire main scenario quest line through all expansions without having to party with other people by allowing you to queue into the instanced dungeons with AI party members. It's an absolute ballache to start though because as good as it gets, A Realm Reborn (2.0~2.57 storyline, initial re-launch content and subsequent story patches) is super not interesting and you can really feel that it was a product of being pushed out in ~2 years as a last effort to save what would have been a title-killing failure to launch. It worked, but in hindsight with the rest of the game that comes afterwards holy shit it hurts. Heavensward onwards (3.0~) starts getting really good, though admittedly as well a lot of the better parts (or at least my favourite parts) of the subsequent expansions were the references and callbacks to the other games in the series. It's still not a must play, but it's a really good payoff for fans of the rest of the series and surprisingly accessible for an MMO. FF14 also has an entire raid series tied to Nier, and all the madness that entails, because you know, why not.

Out of side games though, I also personally recommend Stranger of Paradise: Final Fantasy Origins, because it's a Soulslike FF-spin off with some truly ridiculous story direction. Very solid gameplay, camp as fuck story, plays like Nioh, satisfies loot grind autism with some satisfyingly vicious combat and serves as another bit of a fan service title to long time series fans.

The Holiest Hole

Needs to stop using imgur links
Shame you don't like 9's cast. It's my personal favorite and I think it's one of the narratively strongest FF stories. I can see why you don't like it if you couldn't get to disc 2 though since most of disc 1 is just expanding the setting and if you can't get invested in Vivi the Disc 1 cast is pretty meh( owmyedge freya, sleazeball zidane, naive idiot garnet, man?child? Quina and stick-up-my-ass Steiner). For example, Steiner's character development in Disc 1 is literally that he eats pickles(technically there's more to it but that's all it amounts to pre-Disc 2).

reinigen

Dang it
Ward Security
Shame you don't like 9's cast. It's my personal favorite and I think it's one of the narratively strongest FF stories. I can see why you don't like it if you couldn't get to disc 2 though since most of disc 1 is just expanding the setting and if you can't get invested in Vivi the Disc 1 cast is pretty meh( owmyedge freya, sleazeball zidane, naive idiot garnet, man?child? Quina and stick-up-my-ass Steiner). For example, Steiner's character development in Disc 1 is literally that he eats pickles(technically there's more to it but that's all it amounts to pre-Disc 2).
I literally don't think I've played 9 since release, and at this point I'm waiting on the leaks that there's a 9 remake in the works before I play it again.

Abomination

The abominable amalgamation known as "chyaaat!"
4 is one of my personal favourites of the series and has some of my favourite music of the franchise
Best take. Four was the first time I ever experienced a game where I gave a shit about the story and characters. I still go back and play it every once in a while. Still one of my favorite games of all time.

I haven't played all of the FF series, so I don't plan on playing the newest one any time soon. I have been going back and playing some from time to time, but it's been slow. I played 1 and 4 when I was a kid, but I don't think I touched another one until I was an adult. As of right now, I've played 1, a little bit of 2, 4, 6, a bit of 7, 9, 10, and dropped 10-2 after a few hours.

I enjoyed pretty much every one I listed, aside from 10-2, unsurprisingly. Going to go back and restart 7 whenever I play my next one.

Todd's Strongest Howard

Early Adopter
Best take. Four was the first time I ever experienced a game where I gave a shit about the story and characters. I still go back and play it every once in a while. Still one of my favorite games of all time.

I haven't played all of the FF series, so I don't plan on playing the newest one any time soon. I have been going back and playing some from time to time, but it's been slow. I played 1 and 4 when I was a kid, but I don't think I touched another one until I was an adult. As of right now, I've played 1, a little bit of 2, 4, 6, a bit of 7, 9, 10, and dropped 10-2 after a few hours.

I enjoyed pretty much every one I listed, aside from 10-2, unsurprisingly. Going to go back and restart 7 whenever I play my next one.

I've beaten 1, 3-8, 10, 10-2 and 13 as far as numbered titles and direct sequels go. If I ever started 2 I didn't get far and have no memory of it, furthest I've gotten in 9 was disc two but I always burn out by then. 10-2 I actually enjoy because my autistic ass just likes grinding jobs, it's why my Bravely Default 2 playthrough is over 60 hours and climbing because I FUCKING LOVE CHECKLIST CONTENT. I have a vague interest in trying to play 11 on a private server so I can try to run as much of the story as I can without people since apparently there's a lot of it but 100% of everything is unmarked and requires you to talk to literally everyone at random to pick up various questlines and shit or follow guides exclusively and even with jacked up xp and movement rates it still takes fucking hours at a time. At least I'm current(ish) in 14 so I don't have to do catchup there outside of raid shit. I've a few hours in 15 as well but if the game allows me to fuck off and brainlessly grind without purpose I'm going to do that. The Compilation of FF7 shit is all a clusterfuck but I've also played it. I'm also going to be picking up Type-0 again since I reacquired it this Steam sale.

I wish Dissidia/012 was ported and/or remastered. NT isn't the same and hitching my success in offline matches on fucking garbage AI allies that can lose me the match by being incapable is pain when it feels like I have to fight all three enemies solo half the time to keep them from assfucking my allies. I also wish we could get some kind of comprehensive recollection of the FFT/A games since it's the hip new thing to farm money off nostalgia re-releases, I've been itching to play FFT again but don't feel like fucking around with emulators and no longer have original hardware.

I would also very much enjoy a new Crystal Chronicles type game, or another Final Fantasy Explorers title even, shit.

The cast doesn't really stand out, the aesthetic doesn't really work for me either and it feels like it's too slow to start to get me pulled in and yeah, I really don't give a shit about Vivi. Worst of it all is that I don't think I could recall a single song from 9 from memory, which is troubling since I can whistle FF2's battle theme 1 from memory and I've never actually played it near I can recall. Only way I would be familiar with it at all is through Dissidia, which would also give 9 just as much exposure but it's left so little impact.

Last edited:

Zapan1984

This indie game hit my radar, and the premise sounds great. I love the "Dungeon explorer by day, shop owner by night" style games. And this one sounds unique. Scuba diver by day, sushi restaurant sim by night.
View attachment 34279
Reviews are stellar for a game that came out less than a week ago, and the amount of reviews is staggering for such a small game. And it's only $20 too, so can't go wrong with that price.

Dave is really fun. I played to the end of its early access in March, and the full release is really polished.

Thomas Talus

Εκ λόγου άλλος εκβαίνει λόγος
Early Adopter
Worst of it all is that I don't think I could recall a single song from 9 from memory, which is troubling since I can whistle FF2's battle theme 1 from memory and I've never actually played it near I can recall. Only way I would be familiar with it at all is through Dissidia, which would also give 9 just as much exposure but it's left so little impact.
Rose of May and You're Not Alone are the ones that stick out in my mind the most from 9.

9's art style has always been a stumbling block for me; even if it is fairly pretty overall, it makes it harder to take any of it seriously, even by FF standards. I also didn't like how the characters' abilities are all set in stone from the outset, it makes it hard to do clever things with your build and mostly boils down to grinding out whatever allows for cheap 9999 damage spells.

PassiveUnaggressive

Early Adopter
The FF games I've played extensively are FF1 on GBA/PSP, FF3 on DS (end dungeon), FF4 on DS (end dungeon), FF12 on PS2, most of FF7, and Crystal Chronicles (got a full setup for it).
I enjoyed FF1, it's easy to get lost in, though. I wouldn't put it on hiatus for too long if you start it. I wouldn't feel bad about having a guide handy.

I loved FF3 and FF4 a lot actually, at least the DS versions. The music for both are exceptional; seriously, check out the opening cutscenes for both games with the live orchestra, that is really what sold it to me. I think Eternal Wind is my favorite piece of music from any FF game, so I might be biased. I don't remember the story for FF3 too much, but I thought it was charming iirc, and FF4's story has been praised already.
Spoiler-y tbh, but really nice

I loved FF12 a lot actually, it was the first FF I actually completed, only thing left was Tiamat and... Zodiark to kill iirc? I played the version without speedup, zodiac age has that going for it with QoL changes, but take a bit of time to explore the towns and cities for their environments.

I liked FF7, just I'm horrible about finishing games right at the end for some reason. I had it happen with Breath of Fire 4, right near the end (another JRPG with a lot of charm.

Crystal chronicles, lovely game, bit lonely without someone to play with. Listen to the music, I think it really stands out.

If you want a shorter action RPG, check out Threads of Fate on PS1 sometime. Not an FF game, but the music in that game has stuck with me.

That Chuuba Enjoyer

DM me if you have a Ed, Edd n Eddy clip
Early Adopter
I have a love hate relationship with FF like star wars. I used to indulge in the content when I was younger, but kind of moved away from the two IP over the years. I really didn't like 15 and felt it was under cooked with mechanics. It could've been something great with the road trip theme, but just felt not fully envisioned. I might get 16 when it comes to PC down the line, but I'm not rushing out to get it anytime soon.

I did love 1, 2, 3, 10, 12, 14, 15,crisis core, crystal chronicle series, that ps2 third person shooter 7 spin off, Gameboy games, and tactics series. I think the one game that got me into the series was Crisis Core as a kid.

Is it bad i've played the spin off games around 7 but have not played 7 or the remake yet? :shiinastare:
crystal chronicles game is fun but I still think the DS games were GOATED AS FUCK action dungeon crawlers. Also got rid of the someone having to hold the orb to keep you from dying the first game had. Which I think was a good thing, cause the first game if you played multiplayer, someone had to be assigned to carrying that orb for the team. which would be unfun for them.

I would say I agree that 12 combat is mid cause it's just 11 MMO combat with no multiplayer. However I still hold it dear to my heart cause of the world, characters, and artstyle of it. I'm a big sucker for that high fantasy desert/airworld 12, tactics, and 14 gave for Ivalice. I just really love it.

dawdas.png
Also it had chocolate versions of Pippas people that @God's Strongest Sanalite would like!:SelenHAHAhere:

Seeing how good tactics ogre reborn did last year, they already working on a remaster of FF Tactics. Hopefully the Tactics Advance game gets updated too.

I initially didn't care for 10 with the combat, however that game really kept me for the story, artstyle, and music. I honestly can't think of another game that had such a beautiful fantasy world like 10 had. It's also a time capsule of the 2000s in some regards with clothing style. which I think made it interesting. really unique look to the game with using 2000s fashion, scifi, and fantasy.
such good soundtrack and the cold opening for FFX was a really good attention grabber.

Last edited:

agility_

We have some serious streams to discuss 🔨
Early Adopter
Since none of you fags are going to admit to it, I will.
After the initial shakeup, I came to enjoy replaying FFVIII. The junction system is some wacky unbalanced nonsense but damned if it ain't fun to game it for your advantage. And triple triad is to this day unbeaten as a series minigame.

v holy shit I never made the connection, Pippers is a viera

Last edited:

God's Strongest Mozumite

Mega Mozu Milkers.
Early Adopter
ENTERING FLAVOR COUNTRY
Also it had chocolate versions of Pippas people that @God's Strongest Sanalite would like!:SelenHAHAhere:
it would appear I'll be making a purchase during the steam summer sale after all :Pekora-EVILGRIN:

Top Bottom