"I drank two glasses of something like Cassis Orange, I felt tipsy and sleepy; I told A-chan I'd had enough, then she said 'You'll feel better if you puke - Don't worry, I'm used to this, let's go to the toilet'"Roboco

The Anime Thread

Brosnan Pierce Brosnan

God's Strongest Smartass
Dizzy's Husband
The only real driving thread in Evangelion was his like, dive into depression through each of the characters. But look at it this way, Rei was suppose to be a major character but after Shinji and Rei had a little moment early on he couldn't figure out what at all to do with her so he more or less sidelined her for the rest of the series. Evangelion is an allegory for him being unable to pilot the show itself LOL

CalciumAnimal

Drink Milk
What the fuck does pen represent then?

I honestly hate east asian pseudo-philosophy bullshit storytelling, trying to be way too deep by hamfisting in all of these allusions to deeper meaning and Abrahamic religious iconography, it really shows how little chinks and nips understand about western culture despite their best efforts.

If you want an anime that has a lot of meaning, deep story and is actually good just watch FMA:B
Advancement for the sake of advancement for lack of a better way of putting it a penguin who is at least as smart as humans who does nothing but drink and watch tv.

Also how said advancement cause us to forsake nature and the spirit. (the latter which Gendo is obsessed with recreating which is why hes Thought/Will)

Edit: you asked I never said it was good. Edit edit: speged a little more because i explained it poorly.

Forgot to mention Pen is implied to be some sort of Experiment a successful one but for this major scientific breakthrough nothing actually comes of it hence advancement for the sake of advancement.

How this applies to Shiji hes a lazy fuck up who only does things because he feels like he has no other choice. connect the dots.

Last edited:

Nenélove

Menace of the Asylum
Early Adopter
Nene's Pet Latinx
Latinx/Latine
Janny meddling spotted

Stunned But Dumb

Janny meddling spotted
I thought I was rereading stuff when I haven't touched this thread in a while.

On topic, WFM is giving me the same feeling Darling in the Franxx did when I dropped it 4 episodes in and watched everyone continuously hype it up then break into tears at what it had become.

Nenélove

Menace of the Asylum
Early Adopter
Nene's Pet Latinx
Latinx/Latine
I thought I was rereading stuff when I haven't touched this thread in a while.

On topic, WFM is giving me the same feeling Darling in the Franxx did when I dropped it 4 episodes in and watched everyone continuously hype it up then break into tears at what it had become.
DitF was basically just trying to copy EVA as closely as possible, batshit insane plot included.
Just think about it, bland directionless MC, mysterious female lead who ends up being the product of some weird experiment, other side characters who all have drama-llama character arcs that never resolve, a post-apocalyptic world and transhumanist philosophical quandaries that are poorly done, a shadowy organization controlling everything, mysterious monsters that end up being aliens from thousands of years ago that through convoluted means connect to MC and lead female, the show being good for the first half and then going to shit in the second half as it becomes needlessly cryptic and nonsensical, and an off the rails ending that feels like a huge disappointment.

CalciumAnimal

Drink Milk
DitF was basically just trying to copy EVA as closely as possible, batshit insane plot included.
Just think about it, bland directionless MC, mysterious female lead who ends up being the product of some weird experiment, other side characters who all have drama-llama character arcs that never resolve, a post-apocalyptic world and transhumanist philosophical quandaries that are poorly done, a shadowy organization controlling everything, mysterious monsters that end up being aliens from thousands of years ago that through convoluted means connect to MC and lead female, the show being good for the first half and then going to shit in the second half as it becomes needlessly cryptic and nonsensical, and an off the rails ending that feels like a huge disappointment.
congradulations you described like 70% of scifi stories.

as much as both shows suck they are pretty different.

Renmai

Shiori, what the fuck are you talking about?
Early Adopter
Speaking of the new shows this season, all the good shows seem to be new seasons of already aired anime like Jujutsu Kaisen 2nd Season and Jobless Reincarnation 2nd Season.. and trash like Rent a Girlfriend 3rd season.

The best "new" shows I've seen so far are the Kenshin remake and Zom 100: Bucket List of the Dead. Kenshin is starting from the very beginning and seems more faithful to the manga.

CalciumAnimal

Drink Milk
Speaking of the new shows this season, all the good shows seem to be new seasons of already aired anime like Jujutsu Kaisen 2nd Season and Jobless Reincarnation 2nd Season.. and trash like Rent a Girlfriend 3rd season.

The best "new" shows I've seen so far are the Kenshin remake and Zom 100: Bucket List of the Dead. Kenshin is starting from the very beginning and seems more faithful to the manga.

was it not like already 90% faithful? unless they gigabotched something i'm not aware of.

yeah the good new stuff won't happen till next season or even next year tends to be the pattern unless there is a surprise original drop somewhere.

Renmai

Shiori, what the fuck are you talking about?
Early Adopter
was it not like already 90% faithful? unless they gigabotched something i'm not aware of.
I can only go on the first episode but it seemed like a damn near panel for panel copy from the manga. Also the change from the 1996 Kenshin anime is that only had Gohei as the fake battousei killer and this new remake has
Kihei, Gohei's bro as the brains of the operation. The 96 anime seemed to combine both bros brawn and brains into Gohei and wrote his motivation as broken fingers so he could no longer hold a sword instead of a real estate landgrab

Kazuma

Early Adopter

They are remaking Rurounin Kenshin? WTF

Slam Dunk remake when?

Haven't been watching any anime for a while now but looking forward to the Pluto anime adaption.

Last edited:

God's Strongest Wardog

Wigger Daisenpai Stan
> Samurai X remake
> Pluto anime
Finally something to eat.

Also, I know I missed the earlier mecha sperging, but I want to add one more into the pile of "much ado about nothing" anthology series: Aldnoah Zero.

God, was that shit a waste of time immediately after the pilot was over.

The Rrat

Phoneposting, Rat-loving menace
Early Adopter
The original Kenshin anime had a ton of filler and didn't adapt the final arc until the last OVA series and it wasn't a complete adaption and entirely different from the manga in tone.

I used to be a big fan of the series and the mangaka, in general, until he was caught for being a pedo. Kinda changed the already-questionable relationship between Misao and Aoshi and even between Kaoru and Kenshin, to a much lesser extent.

Kazuma

Early Adopter
The original Kenshin anime had a ton of filler and didn't adapt the final arc until the last OVA series and it wasn't a complete adaption and entirely different from the manga in tone.

I used to be a big fan of the series and the mangaka, in general, until he was caught for being a pedo. Kinda changed the already-questionable relationship between Misao and Aoshi and even between Kaoru and Kenshin, to a much lesser extent.
Some of the filler were pretty decent and the OVAs had an anime only ending, with Kenshin dying, right? I didn't watch the OVAs.

The Rrat

Early Adopter

I knew they were making this, but this is the first time I have seen footage from it. Has any other recent anime done this to where they basically took manga panels and animated them? This style is great for highly detailed source materal like Uzumaki.

Faceless Waifu

prompt: 1girl, solo, faceless
Early Adopter
I knew they were making this, but this is the first time I have seen footage from it. Has any other recent anime done this to where they basically took manga panels and animated them? This style is great for highly detailed source materal like Uzumaki.
The closest thing I know would be the anime adaptation of Yakuza House-Husband, and even then it's less of "animating manga panels" and more like "we colored it, and move it in such way that it still resembles some sort of animations even though by all accounts it's just powerpoint slides", or something like that.

Despite that it's intentional by the author, it's still not making fans happy apparently.

The Rrat

Early Adopter
Not sure how many other DBZ retards there are here, but I just found out that some random French company is releasing amazing remasters of the original DB series with fan-found original Japanese broadcast audio.

As someone who has been waiting for this to happen for years, this is awesome news.

Kazuma

Early Adopter
Not sure how many other DBZ retards there are here, but I just found out that some random French company is releasing amazing remasters of the original DB series with fan-found original Japanese broadcast audio.

As someone who has been waiting for this to happen for years, this is awesome news.

Someone uploaded this release on Nyaa with English subs.

Last edited:

DrStupid

Resident Undertaker
Early Adopter
I wanted to check with people without twitter brain-rot about this.
Is any of you up to date with Oshi no Ko's manga? If so, what do you think of the most recent twist?

Zapan1984

I wanted to check with people without twitter brain-rot about this.
Is any of you up to date with Oshi no Ko's manga? If so, what do you think of the most recent twist?
I am, ngl it was amusing to see people lose their minds about that. Even so, "Bro, gimme your juice" was a bit of an eyebrow raiser.

DrStupid

Resident Undertaker
Early Adopter
I am, ngl it was amusing to see people lose their minds about that. Even so, "Bro, gimme your juice" was a bit of an eyebrow raiser.
Agreed, and those chapters were also (cleverly) scheduled to release after the season 1 finale, so it was great to see people get severe whiplash from one week to the next.

If you're familiar with OnK, you'll remember the main characters are reincarnations of a underaged cancer patient and a gynecologist in his early 30's that bonded over their love for Ai. Sarina (ruby) was smitten by Goro (Aqua) and made him promise that he'll marry her when she turned 18. He said yes because it was a promise made to keep a dying child's hopes up.

Up until now both of them were oblivious to who the other really was, until Aqua saw Ruby crying over the dead doctor's employee ID (that had an AI sticker on it). Upon seeing this they came forward about their past lives, and after a really sweet reunion moment, Ruby told Aqua that she didn't forget the promise they made, and that she was already a woman. The chapter ended on a cliffhanger and pointing out that turning down Ruby would be devastating for her mental health (that was in shambles because of current plot).

The following chapter was released after 15 days (cheeky small hiatus) and the situation was resolved offscreen and the supporting characters see Ruby and Aqua relaxing in a very chummy and close way (with ruby wanting aqua to share his juice pouch with her).

Top Bottom