"I was supposed to be a joke!!!"Sena Bonbon

Nijisanji declares Total Retard War on Dokibird

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scoots

The Pontiff of PonWolf
Early Adopter
Why does Matara/Nina still talk and hang out with Millie behind the scenes (as hinted in their tweets about them meeting in an elevator) if Millie herself is a bully? I mean, if she was a bully, then I don't see any reason for Matara/Nina to hang out, let alone, talk to her behind the scenes.
Yeah the Millie Enna bully rrat struggles in the face of Nina being close to them I can't see her being a bully too

niggaphil

When person I like has high subs .
"More subs more good, corpo vtuber is clearly better."

When simping for a corpo .
"Your oshi doesn't even have 2 million subs ? Literal who."
Are you Nolan? Because you sounds like him :crushface:

Hwoarang

Yeah the Millie Enna bully rrat struggles in the face of Nina being close to them I can't see her being a bully too
I assume you're insinuating that Nina is a bully too, but didn't she leave because of management issues? If that's the case, assuming the rrats about Elira and her clique are true, then she wouldn't be talking to them anymore. Or I'm just too retarded to read between the lines, and there's something that I haven't investigated yet. I'm willing to be roasted with corrections here.

Twin Adder

Scoots

The Pontiff of PonWolf
Early Adopter
I assume you're insinuating that Nina is a bully too, but didn't she leave because of management issues? If that's the case, assuming the rrats about Elira and her clique are true, then she wouldn't be talking to them anymore. Or I'm just too retarded to read between the lines, and there's something that I haven't investigated yet. I'm willing to be roasted with corrections here.
I'm saying those exact reasons are why it's hard to believe that rrat

God's Strongest Dragoon

CURSE OF AMERICAN STUPIDITY!
WILL COMPLAIN ABOUT HIGH RENT BUT WILL ALSO SPEND 100 DOLLARS TO MAKE SURE FAT SUICIDAL BITCH DOESNT SURPASS FAT EVIL BITCH IN IMAGINARY COMPUTER NUMBER.
THIS IS WHY ((())) ARE REPLACING YOU WITH MEXICOIDS.
Hey man, those are chinks

Hwoarang

@Hwoarang My guy, Lyrica will not fuck you
that's not why i'm posting here. I'm just here to read anything that leads to the truth. I mean this site has a semblance of freedom of speech after all. I'm willing to stop supporting her if it really comes out that she's a bully.

I Wanna Die

Don't do drugs, blow all your money on vtubers
Why does Matara/Nina still talk and hang out with Millie behind the scenes (as hinted in their tweets about them meeting in an elevator) if Millie herself is a bully? I mean, if she was a bully, then I don't see any reason for Matara/Nina to hang out, let alone, talk to her behind the scenes.
I've run this one through my head a dozen times and it still throws me off. It's pretty clear early on she wasn't close as the rest of Ethyria but that seemed to change over time and they were super close at the end. It'd be one thing if she decided to play nice while she was still working with them but then why would she still be friends after? Has she hung out with Enna since as well, I only remember the tweets from her and Millie? Elira and Enna being part of a clique but not Millie makes no sense.

So either they aren't in the clique or Nina joined the clique. Three different things come to mind if we're rrating under the assumption she was part of it.

1. She sat by and watched as they harassed everyone else. (possible given that she's admitted to being in a pretty poor mental state while she was there)
2. She participated in the bullying. (goes against everything she's about so she'd be an expert at manipulation even among women)
3. She tried to quell any sort of harassment from the clique to any other livers and that all went to shit when she left. (maybe)

niggaphil

that's not why i'm posting here. I'm just here to read anything that leads to the truth. I mean this site has a semblance of freedom of speech after all. I'm willing to stop supporting her if it really comes out that she's a bully.
welp, you must be @Reticule clone because you support your oshi so much.

Not trying to ridicule you, but we are just shitposting here. If you get too serious about our shitpost, you need to :gsh:

God's Strongest Dragoon

Not trying to ridicule you, but we are just shitposting here. If you get too serious about our shitpost, you need to :gsh:
He's a flip, the only help that can cure him is a game of Russian Roulette with a glock.

reinigen

Dang it
Ward Security
Don't remember seeing this posted but honestly, this explains so much of what has happened in this whole situation and makes more sense than the grand rat because it doesn't involve people being raging, hate filled faggots. A simple misunderstanding caused a whole chain reaction that we've seen.

TL;DR is essentially when Doki's lawyer sent the document she had made which outlined her proof of her treatment, they thought THAT was the document that she was going to release to the public. A document filled with, what I can only assume are, names, times, places and dates and more evidence. Because of the misunderstanding they assumed she was about to go nuclear on them and drop this for the public to read and that's why they reacted how they did. That to me explains the sudden burst of new information by their own admission that was otherwise unknown and why livers were given documents far more than "Elira is actually a mastermind trying to rule EN with an iron fist". Also explains why her termination letter was so clearly rushed. Because it was. They had 2 hours to put this together and shit it out because they thought she was about to open the whole EN branch up for the world to see.

It's on the Nijisanji subreddit why would you not post an archive you dumb Yamanba aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Archive
Like everyone else, I've been confused and dismayed by Nijisanji's bizarre, self-destructive approach to first breaking the news of Selen's termination and then responding to Dokibird's statements. Fans have thrown about a lot of theories to explain Niji's approach, ranging from plausible-sounding accounts of the facts to feverish rrats straight from the belly of /vt/. I can't claim any special inside knowledge about the specific set of facts of this situation, but I do work in comms for a living and can speak to the general dynamics at play in public disputes between highly visible actors in which one or both parties are subject to NDAs. Based on my professional experience and my knowledge of the statements from Nijisanji and Dokibird, the explanation here seems fairly obvious: Nijisanji misinterpreted the personal account of workplace bullying that Selen sent them shortly before her firing, and they misinterpreted this document hard.

I don't know if Nijisanji missed the mark here because Selen's accompanying documentation for this account was ambiguous, because there was a mistake in translation from one or both law firms, or because EN management adopted a wholly cynical interpretation of the document to try this defense in the court of public opinion, but I'm pretty confident that everything that's happened so far can be explained by this fundamental failure to communicate. If I'm right, the timeline goes something like this:

Selen posts her Last Cup of Coffee MV for perms approval. Management leaves her on read for 37 hours and then fails to get back to her for another 15 hours, so Selen goes ahead and posts the video without final perms check. There's a lot that we don't know about the background and context here. For instance, had management already seen the video prior to this final check? If yes, why hadn't they raised the issue with graduated livers proactively? If no, why hadn't they seen this video during the months-long process of its creation? Did anyone in management give Selen a deadline for perms check that she then blew by? I tend to think that the answers to these questions are not favorable to Nijisanji, since they would have shown evidence that Selen was at fault for the missed Christmas release date during Elira's response stream if such evidence existed. Regardless, the answers to these questions actually do not matter for a breakdown of Niji's thought process throughout the subsequent PR nightmare.

Both management and talent reach out to Selen about her decision to post the MV without full perms, and shortly after this she attempts suicide. Management reaches out to Selen's emergency contact and removes Selen's access to socials, posting a skinwalked explanation for her absence on December 28th. Again, there's a lot that we don't know here. Were other talent/management mocking, cruel or abusive in their communication, or were their words just interpreted as such by Selen? If talent/management were abusive, was this a one-time thing or part of a larger pattern of behavior? Once again, the following version of events makes sense no matter how you answer these questions. The thing that matters here is that in any version of these events, a comms team involved in the decision-making process realizes at this exact moment that they're dealing with a potential PR nightmare. It would be disastrous if the public learned that beloved liver Selen Tatsuki attempted suicide because of harassment or mismanagement in the NijiEN workplace. It's not actually comm's job to manage the frayed relationship with talent, but at this point there are probably discussions about potential responses depending which way the situation develops.

Selen hires legal representation to help mediate her business relationship with Nijisanji, and both parties discuss potential next steps and remedies. Talks between Selen and management about a return to Nijisanji break down, and both sides realize that some sort of split is inevitable by late January. Nijisanji wants Selen to explain that the MV was taken down because of negligence on her part; Selen believes that management is responsible for the failure, and additionally has other grievances about how she's been treated in Nijisanji before, during, and after this inciting event. Per Dokibird's first statement

on the matter, she asked to leave Nijisanji on more neutral terms on January 26th; per her second statement
on the matter, Nijisanji's legal team was unresponsive after this request.

Frustrated by Nijisanji's unresponsiveness, Selen's lawyer suggests that she send a personal account of her experiences in Nijisanji to Niji's legal team in order to help them understand her grievances. If my understanding of the situation is accurate, this is the exact moment that everything goes to shit. Per Nijisanji's termination notice

, we know that Selen has told Nijisanji (through her legal representation) that she intends to speak up about her experiences at Nijisanji if she's terminated: "Moreover, Selen Tatsuki insisted that if the negotiations did not progress, she would proceed to release a statement regarding her claims to the public." Now they're received a document written in a personal tone, alleging all sorts of abusive practices from management and/or talent and filled with potentially sensitive information about other Livers. Per Selen's second statement
, she wrote this account to "document my thoughts and history with evidence... during my darkest time mentally" and included in it "privacy information that should not be public." Someone in Nijisanji's legal team comes to the conclusion (cynically or naively, based on ambigious instructions from Selen or based on bad translations from staff-- it does not matter) that this account of Selen's is in fact the statement that she intends to release if she's terminated, and this scrambles all the jets.

Immediately, the comms team goes into full crisis mode and scrambles to get a termination out the door so they can get the first word in. In my experience working comms during times of crisis, "perfect" immediately goes out the window and is replaced by "quick." There's an enormous advantage to being the first actor to explain their version of events on the public, and even very experienced communications teams will make sloppy mistakes in this race to publish. With this context in mind, it's easy to see how Nijisanji screwed up their response to Selen's account of workplace conditions. Remember, Nijisanji's legal team has already been given notice of Selen's intent to publish a statement if negotiations fall apart and (presumably) has already advised her legal representation about potential risks that come with violations of an NDA. Now they see this document and have decided that it's a copy of Selen's statement, so they think that she's decided on publishing this even after having been warned about the consequences of violating an NDA. Comms likely isn't party to any of this communication, but they are given a copy of the statement itself and they're told "legal says Selen intends to publish this."

The comm team pulls up the termination notice they've already written for Selen and they add a bunch of defensive language to get out ahead of the claims in her document. Copy like

makes no sense unless the communications professional writing it expects the "claims raised by Selen Tatsuki" to be available for public consumption in the near future. This solves the first mystery of "why did Nijisanji allude to bullying from talents when Doki did not:" Niji's legal team understood Selen's private account of her experiences to be a public tell-all account that management then instructed comms to preempt.

Additionally, comms also begins to brace for Selen's statement by preparing to counter specific allegations she raises. At least some of these allegations involve specific Livers, so the comms team (working with legal) shows talent selected portions of Selen's document in order to coach them on a statement about any sensitive information regarding past lives, workplace communications, etc. This explains the second mystery of "why did Elira, Vox, Ike, Millie, Enna, etc. see portions of Selen's document:" comms believed that each of these talent would need to respond to specific allegations about their behavior and began prepping these statements based on legal's failure to understand the nature of Selen's account.

Immediately after Nijisanji's termination notice, Dokibird releases her own prepared statement that does not include sensitive information or specifics but does reveal her suicide attempt and confirms the general claim that she believed NijiEN was an abusive workplace environment. Within an hour of Nijisanji's termination of Selen Tatsuki, Dokibird rises from the ashes and publishes a prepared statement that's obviously been checked by her legal representation. From a PR perspective, it's hard to imagine how this could have gone any worse for Nijisanji. Dokibird's statement begins with "I will not be silenced anymore," reminding the public of the still-recent #Where'sSelen controversy. She brings up bullying but leaves it ambiguous whether talent, management, or both are implicated, making Nijisanji's preemptive mention of talent seem like yet another instance of the company throwing its Livers under the bus. Finally, she brings up the suicide attempt, revealing that Nijisanji covered up this serious tragedy for over a month and puppeted Selen's account to reassure the public.

Seeing the massive shitstorm their failed strategy has caused, legal, talent, management, and comms all begin to flail, leading to the PR disaster that was Elira's stream. Honestly, I can't even begin to hazard a guess at the precise series of events that led to this stream. There are too many unknowns about the specifics of Selen's allegations at this point, too many parties desperate for vindication who might concievably be in a position to dictate how the company should organize its last-ditch efforts at crisis PR. You can read Elira's stream as a disgusting attempt to provoke Selen into revealing her grievances with Nijisanji so they can be litigated in the public square, a talent-initiated response to their real fear of personal information being leaked that management cynically encouraged in order to deflect from their own failures, or any number of other possibilities. The bottom line is that Nijisanji's talking points do not update to reflect the new terrain of the public dispute. They continue to treat Doki as a walking, talking brand risk despite her clear interest in just moving on from the controversy, and this just creates a whole new set of fan grievances and lurid theories of conspiracies and cliques.

Not yet understanding how Niji has misinterpreted her account of workplace conditions, Doki fires back on twitter

explaining her understanding that this document was private. At this point Doki responds to the ill-conceived Elira stream, rightfully conveying her shock that this document was shared with other Livers. She also speculates if talent was given access to her medical records, igniting yet another round of accusations and attacks.

Legal is once again called in to assess this accusation of leaking private HR document/medical records, which would be incredibly damaging if true, and at this point someone finally realizes the scope of the miscommunication. Speaking as a comms professional, I am almost certain that the next statement

we get from Nijisanji was written by a lawyer covered in flop-sweat and covering their own ass rather than an in-house comms team. The statement alleges that "In order to check the validity of Selen and her lawyer's claim, ANYCOLOR Inc. shared only necessary parts of the information sent by her lawyer with our Livers and led an internal investigation," ignoring the fact that sharing any of the information in this account of workplace abuses would be in violation of Selen's request for that document to remain private and ignoring the fact that Livers would not necessarily need to be informed of these specific allegations in order for Nijisanji to investigate the validity of Selen's claim. They also write that they have not given other talent any of "the specific information and documents which Selen’s lawyer requested that we do not share with our Livers," which fluent readers of legalese will notice is different from "the specific information and documents which Selen's lawyer requested we keep private from all non-legal department parties."

This statement ends with a "we investigated ourselves and found no evidence of wrongdoing"-type reassurance, but reading between the lines it's clear that something has broken down with Nijisanji's handling of private documents. Nijisanji's legal team has invented a new reason for why talent was shown this document to cover for their initial misunderstanding of what the document actually was, but the writing is still on the wall for anyone paying attention.

Around the same time as this statement, Doki walks back the claim of leaked medical information but reiterates that some of her information was improperly shared. She once again explains that she just wanted to move on from this chapter of her life, and by this point both legal and comms understand that there's a possibility to de-escalate the situation. Someone from Nijisanji's side makes an overture to Doki's lawyer, and at last the two parties begin to address the underlying misunderstanding.

Finally, Doki posts a final statement

that explains the pertinent document, alludes to some unspecified miscommunication without admitting any specific failure on her part, reiterates her intention to keep private information private, and calls for all fans to cease harassing talents. More than anything else discussed so far, it's this final statement that has me convinced this whole disaster started with legal's failure to properly understand Selen's account of her experience. Doki's final tweet reads like a carefully crafted statement that has been vetted by both parties in order to put the controversy to rest. Under the hood this statement does a lot of things all at once, and it's worth unpacking them all to understand the various concerns that are being addressed.

• Doki rebuts the specific claims that Elira, Ike, and Vox made towards her, explaining that the recording was a one-time remnant of a pre-event mic check and that the sensitive information was always intended to remain private. This allows her to get the last word in on these allegations, avoiding any situation where fans might be left with the impression that Selen ever intended to leak this information.
  • Doki acknowledges the potential for information to be lost in translation, thus lending support to the idea that both party's lawyers failed to understand one another. Explaining how things ever got to this point, Dokibird writes "All of the communication was done between lawyers in Japanese. Things are not black and white and everything gets more complicated and muddled when lawyers are involved in a different country. When things are conveyed to multiple parties through different degrees of communication, everything turns into different narratives and different translations." This copy explicitly alludes to the general shape of the error without delving into specifics or pointing fingers, letting Doki explain the series of miscommunications without throwing anyone under the bus.
  • Importantly for any specific parties in Nijisanji who may have misinterpreted Selen's document, Doki gives a fig leaf justification for Nijisanji's terrible response by explaining her intentions for public comment have changed over time. Doki writes that "Everything I post to the public about the situation was a response. If it was a month ago, it will have been different as I was angry but I was also very alone in my head. But it's not a month ago and I've accepted it." One month before Doki's final statement would be around January 14th, before Selen requested to leave Nijisanji. If she indicated that she planned to respond to a termination with a public statement around this time, her words here give anyone responsible for this mishap a fig leaf excuse that they can point to in order to explain what happened. Whoever is responsible for this mishap is almost certainly losing their job, but these few sentences give any responsible parties the thinnest possible sliver of justification they can cite to management. Anyone who sees the boulder of layoffs rolling downhill in their direction might plausibly push for it to be included.
  • Doki's statement ends with a request for fans not to harass the Livers and a straightforward explanation of her intentions to keep these matters private. NijiEN's credibility is on fire by now, and Doki is the only party in this dispute who fans and the outside onlookers might plausibly listen to. She's always been very clear that fans should not harass talent, but ending on this point one last time is crucial for Niji if they want to start putting out the fires. Doki has also been fairly explicit about her intentions to keep moving forwards, but her comments that "For those who wish to see receipts or documents or anything else, hoping I will reveal them, I'm sorry but these are the things that should be private and if needed, between lawyers" is the most explicit version of this message thus far. By writing this Doki has effectively demonstrated to both her fans and Nijisanji itself that she does not intend to leak sensitive information. This single sentence conclusively address the fears that prompted Nijisanji to over-react and provides a commitment that Niji can hold against Doki in the court of public opinion if she decides to provide reciepts while also letting her twist the knife one last time by implicitly blaming Niji for their improper handling of private materials. This sentence is very cleverly written and manages to convey all these ideas in a very concise way, and whoever wrote it 100% knew what they were doing.
  • Finally, and most importantly, this statement was translated into Japanese. If everything I've laid out so far wasn't enough, this last detail convinces me that Doki's most recent statement was a collaboratively-edited attempt at de-escalation. If I'm right that Nijisanji was somehow involved in vetting this final statement, it makes sense that they'd want it translated for JP-only staff and shareholders/board members to read. Remember, Doki does not speak fluent Japanese herself, so someone was either hired to translate this statement or provided the service free of charge. It's plausible that one of Doki's many bilingual friends in the vtubing world offered to step in to clear up any misunderstandings, but it seems more likely to me that someone in Nijisanji either translated the document in-house or paid for the document to be translated by an outside contractor (probably more advisable in light of everything that's happened so far). Going this route allows internal Nijisanji staff and stakeholders to easily assess how this situation is being resolved while also giving Doki a chance to explain herself to the JP-only audience who has largely been unsympathetic to her situation.

If I'm right, what should we expect to see next? Assuming everything I've laid out thus far is more or less accurate, Nijisanji now has two options for their path forwards. The first is a long period of silence from EN Livers, followed by a gradual ramp-up of streaming and a total cone of silence around the subject of Selen and her termination going forwards. In this version of a PR strategy Nijisanji would pivot from their misguided attacks and attempt to just memory hole these events, counting on the internet's short attention span to eventually take the heat off their talent and hoping that enough fans stick around to keep the EN branch financially viable. The second approach Nijisanji might take is one more final statement explaining the failure to communicate in general terms, apologizing profusely to Selen and promising that those responsible have been fired out a cannon into the sun in order to take some heat off the talent and the rest of management.

In my experience working with public-facing companies I've found that the C-Suite is (unfortunately) often loath to fully explain fuck-ups even after they've implemented fixes, since the same details that might lead a member of the public to forgive will also lead a shareholder to lose confidence in the stock. Whether I'm right about this series of events or not, my hope is that Nijisanji makes the necessary changes to turn the ship around and then offers the public as much transparency as they reasonably can in order to dispel the cloud hanging over the remaining talent. But walking this path would require them to make damaging admissions about profound failures while also collaborating with Doki in order to ensure her wish to move forwards is honored, and all these difficulties make me believe that a total memory-holing of this disaster is more likely.

Final thoughts: Reduced down to its essence, the basic task of a comms team is to understand an issue of interest, analyze the public's view of that issue in real time, and craft messages that ultimately move the public's view in the client's desired direction. If the version of events I've laid out here is more or less accurate, Nijisanji's PR strategy failed because they managed to screw up each of these three tasks. Nijisanji's comms team may have gotten off on the wrong foot because they were given bad information about the issue of interest from legal, but their subsequent failures to adjust their strategy in response to Dokibird's statements and the public's speculation are additional black marks in their own right separate from this original mistake.

All of these communications mishaps are also separate from the failures which occurred in the sphere of talent management, where EN managers failed to support and protect their most popular female streamer so badly that she attempted suicide and then hired legal representation to negotiate an exit from the company. My point in analyzing the communications dimension of this debacle is not to apologize for this mismanagement of talent but rather to explain how a bad PR response turned an intrinsically-bad piece of news for the company into a catastrophic scandal that has jeopardized the whole branch. Ironically, it might be fortunate for us that Nijisanji's comms approach missed the mark this badly, since a more competent communications strategy might have papered over these underlying problems and allowed the underlying mismanagement of talent to continue. My hope is that this catastrophe leads NijiEN's senior leadership to take a look in the mirror and make real changes to improve talent relations, comms, and translation services, but based on the moves we've seen thus far I can't say that I'm optimistic.
Okay, actually read this now. As much fun as the GURRAT is, it is just schizophrenic rumor mongering.

This seems like the most realistic explanation of what actually went down in the last few weeks. I buy it.
If so, why double down when doki made it clear the document WASN'T going to be released and WILL NOT be published 2 times by the time "message from nijisanji en" has dropped
Combination of Japanese Corpo Autism/Pride and outright not believing her.
But for something like this to be true it would require all of NinjiEN to be colossally retar.....wait there could be something to this
Considering how idiotic the rest of the staff has demonstrated to be, I can fully buy into the idea of their cheap labor decisions finally catching up and biting them in the ass and seriously wounding them.

Pack it in boys, I think we've reached the sad conclusion as to what killed our favorite purple dragon.
:sinktheyacht:

Nenélove

Menace of the Asylum
Early Adopter
Nene's Pet Latinx
Latinx/Latine

I will bully your oshi @Hwoarang but no hard feelings, is only business.

Bronze

She's most likely not a bully. She might be an accesory though, considering her instant reply to Selen's cover tweet. She must be aware of something at least. Either that or she's one dumb easily manipulated girl who will be used repeatedly by the actual problem folk unless she gets out. Have Matara poach her to Vshojo and all will be better.

E: or she can be a result of the toxic work culture created due to incompetence of management, but you can say this for most of them.

Last edited:

Hwoarang

Either that or she's one dumb easily manipulated girl who will be used repeatedly by the actual problem folk unless she gets out
I really think this is the case, especially ever since she talked about how she and Enna almost had a fallout due to an argument. According to her during a minecraft stream, Enna wanted to end their friendship, but Millie either called her, or went to her house (I don't remember) but she was crying, and after a conversation they reconciled. Shortly after that, I've begun seeing shitposts about Enna being a bitch in the NijiEN general on vt, possibly because of what Millie said in that stream. I don't remember which stream, so I can't give a link, but it was a Minecraft stream in 2022. Vod is still there.

lolwatagain

Don't remember seeing this posted but honestly, this explains so much of what has happened in this whole situation and makes more sense than the grand rat because it doesn't involve people being raging, hate filled faggots. A simple misunderstanding caused a whole chain reaction that we've seen.

TL;DR is essentially when Doki's lawyer sent the document she had made which outlined her proof of her treatment, they thought THAT was the document that she was going to release to the public. A document filled with, what I can only assume are, names, times, places and dates and more evidence. Because of the misunderstanding they assumed she was about to go nuclear on them and drop this for the public to read and that's why they reacted how they did. That to me explains the sudden burst of new information by their own admission that was otherwise unknown and why livers were given documents far more than "Elira is actually a mastermind trying to rule EN with an iron fist". Also explains why her termination letter was so clearly rushed. Because it was. They had 2 hours to put this together and shit it out because they thought she was about to open the whole EN branch up for the world to see.

It's on the Nijisanji subreddit why would you not post an archive you dumb Yamanba aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Archive
Like everyone else, I've been confused and dismayed by Nijisanji's bizarre, self-destructive approach to first breaking the news of Selen's termination and then responding to Dokibird's statements. Fans have thrown about a lot of theories to explain Niji's approach, ranging from plausible-sounding accounts of the facts to feverish rrats straight from the belly of /vt/. I can't claim any special inside knowledge about the specific set of facts of this situation, but I do work in comms for a living and can speak to the general dynamics at play in public disputes between highly visible actors in which one or both parties are subject to NDAs. Based on my professional experience and my knowledge of the statements from Nijisanji and Dokibird, the explanation here seems fairly obvious: Nijisanji misinterpreted the personal account of workplace bullying that Selen sent them shortly before her firing, and they misinterpreted this document hard.

I don't know if Nijisanji missed the mark here because Selen's accompanying documentation for this account was ambiguous, because there was a mistake in translation from one or both law firms, or because EN management adopted a wholly cynical interpretation of the document to try this defense in the court of public opinion, but I'm pretty confident that everything that's happened so far can be explained by this fundamental failure to communicate. If I'm right, the timeline goes something like this:

Selen posts her Last Cup of Coffee MV for perms approval. Management leaves her on read for 37 hours and then fails to get back to her for another 15 hours, so Selen goes ahead and posts the video without final perms check. There's a lot that we don't know about the background and context here. For instance, had management already seen the video prior to this final check? If yes, why hadn't they raised the issue with graduated livers proactively? If no, why hadn't they seen this video during the months-long process of its creation? Did anyone in management give Selen a deadline for perms check that she then blew by? I tend to think that the answers to these questions are not favorable to Nijisanji, since they would have shown evidence that Selen was at fault for the missed Christmas release date during Elira's response stream if such evidence existed. Regardless, the answers to these questions actually do not matter for a breakdown of Niji's thought process throughout the subsequent PR nightmare.

Both management and talent reach out to Selen about her decision to post the MV without full perms, and shortly after this she attempts suicide. Management reaches out to Selen's emergency contact and removes Selen's access to socials, posting a skinwalked explanation for her absence on December 28th. Again, there's a lot that we don't know here. Were other talent/management mocking, cruel or abusive in their communication, or were their words just interpreted as such by Selen? If talent/management were abusive, was this a one-time thing or part of a larger pattern of behavior? Once again, the following version of events makes sense no matter how you answer these questions. The thing that matters here is that in any version of these events, a comms team involved in the decision-making process realizes at this exact moment that they're dealing with a potential PR nightmare. It would be disastrous if the public learned that beloved liver Selen Tatsuki attempted suicide because of harassment or mismanagement in the NijiEN workplace. It's not actually comm's job to manage the frayed relationship with talent, but at this point there are probably discussions about potential responses depending which way the situation develops.

Selen hires legal representation to help mediate her business relationship with Nijisanji, and both parties discuss potential next steps and remedies. Talks between Selen and management about a return to Nijisanji break down, and both sides realize that some sort of split is inevitable by late January. Nijisanji wants Selen to explain that the MV was taken down because of negligence on her part; Selen believes that management is responsible for the failure, and additionally has other grievances about how she's been treated in Nijisanji before, during, and after this inciting event. Per Dokibird's first statement

on the matter, she asked to leave Nijisanji on more neutral terms on January 26th; per her second statement
on the matter, Nijisanji's legal team was unresponsive after this request.

Frustrated by Nijisanji's unresponsiveness, Selen's lawyer suggests that she send a personal account of her experiences in Nijisanji to Niji's legal team in order to help them understand her grievances. If my understanding of the situation is accurate, this is the exact moment that everything goes to shit. Per Nijisanji's termination notice

, we know that Selen has told Nijisanji (through her legal representation) that she intends to speak up about her experiences at Nijisanji if she's terminated: "Moreover, Selen Tatsuki insisted that if the negotiations did not progress, she would proceed to release a statement regarding her claims to the public." Now they're received a document written in a personal tone, alleging all sorts of abusive practices from management and/or talent and filled with potentially sensitive information about other Livers. Per Selen's second statement
, she wrote this account to "document my thoughts and history with evidence... during my darkest time mentally" and included in it "privacy information that should not be public." Someone in Nijisanji's legal team comes to the conclusion (cynically or naively, based on ambigious instructions from Selen or based on bad translations from staff-- it does not matter) that this account of Selen's is in fact the statement that she intends to release if she's terminated, and this scrambles all the jets.

Immediately, the comms team goes into full crisis mode and scrambles to get a termination out the door so they can get the first word in. In my experience working comms during times of crisis, "perfect" immediately goes out the window and is replaced by "quick." There's an enormous advantage to being the first actor to explain their version of events on the public, and even very experienced communications teams will make sloppy mistakes in this race to publish. With this context in mind, it's easy to see how Nijisanji screwed up their response to Selen's account of workplace conditions. Remember, Nijisanji's legal team has already been given notice of Selen's intent to publish a statement if negotiations fall apart and (presumably) has already advised her legal representation about potential risks that come with violations of an NDA. Now they see this document and have decided that it's a copy of Selen's statement, so they think that she's decided on publishing this even after having been warned about the consequences of violating an NDA. Comms likely isn't party to any of this communication, but they are given a copy of the statement itself and they're told "legal says Selen intends to publish this."

The comm team pulls up the termination notice they've already written for Selen and they add a bunch of defensive language to get out ahead of the claims in her document. Copy like

makes no sense unless the communications professional writing it expects the "claims raised by Selen Tatsuki" to be available for public consumption in the near future. This solves the first mystery of "why did Nijisanji allude to bullying from talents when Doki did not:" Niji's legal team understood Selen's private account of her experiences to be a public tell-all account that management then instructed comms to preempt.

Additionally, comms also begins to brace for Selen's statement by preparing to counter specific allegations she raises. At least some of these allegations involve specific Livers, so the comms team (working with legal) shows talent selected portions of Selen's document in order to coach them on a statement about any sensitive information regarding past lives, workplace communications, etc. This explains the second mystery of "why did Elira, Vox, Ike, Millie, Enna, etc. see portions of Selen's document:" comms believed that each of these talent would need to respond to specific allegations about their behavior and began prepping these statements based on legal's failure to understand the nature of Selen's account.

Immediately after Nijisanji's termination notice, Dokibird releases her own prepared statement that does not include sensitive information or specifics but does reveal her suicide attempt and confirms the general claim that she believed NijiEN was an abusive workplace environment. Within an hour of Nijisanji's termination of Selen Tatsuki, Dokibird rises from the ashes and publishes a prepared statement that's obviously been checked by her legal representation. From a PR perspective, it's hard to imagine how this could have gone any worse for Nijisanji. Dokibird's statement begins with "I will not be silenced anymore," reminding the public of the still-recent #Where'sSelen controversy. She brings up bullying but leaves it ambiguous whether talent, management, or both are implicated, making Nijisanji's preemptive mention of talent seem like yet another instance of the company throwing its Livers under the bus. Finally, she brings up the suicide attempt, revealing that Nijisanji covered up this serious tragedy for over a month and puppeted Selen's account to reassure the public.

Seeing the massive shitstorm their failed strategy has caused, legal, talent, management, and comms all begin to flail, leading to the PR disaster that was Elira's stream. Honestly, I can't even begin to hazard a guess at the precise series of events that led to this stream. There are too many unknowns about the specifics of Selen's allegations at this point, too many parties desperate for vindication who might concievably be in a position to dictate how the company should organize its last-ditch efforts at crisis PR. You can read Elira's stream as a disgusting attempt to provoke Selen into revealing her grievances with Nijisanji so they can be litigated in the public square, a talent-initiated response to their real fear of personal information being leaked that management cynically encouraged in order to deflect from their own failures, or any number of other possibilities. The bottom line is that Nijisanji's talking points do not update to reflect the new terrain of the public dispute. They continue to treat Doki as a walking, talking brand risk despite her clear interest in just moving on from the controversy, and this just creates a whole new set of fan grievances and lurid theories of conspiracies and cliques.

Not yet understanding how Niji has misinterpreted her account of workplace conditions, Doki fires back on twitter

explaining her understanding that this document was private. At this point Doki responds to the ill-conceived Elira stream, rightfully conveying her shock that this document was shared with other Livers. She also speculates if talent was given access to her medical records, igniting yet another round of accusations and attacks.

Legal is once again called in to assess this accusation of leaking private HR document/medical records, which would be incredibly damaging if true, and at this point someone finally realizes the scope of the miscommunication. Speaking as a comms professional, I am almost certain that the next statement

we get from Nijisanji was written by a lawyer covered in flop-sweat and covering their own ass rather than an in-house comms team. The statement alleges that "In order to check the validity of Selen and her lawyer's claim, ANYCOLOR Inc. shared only necessary parts of the information sent by her lawyer with our Livers and led an internal investigation," ignoring the fact that sharing any of the information in this account of workplace abuses would be in violation of Selen's request for that document to remain private and ignoring the fact that Livers would not necessarily need to be informed of these specific allegations in order for Nijisanji to investigate the validity of Selen's claim. They also write that they have not given other talent any of "the specific information and documents which Selen’s lawyer requested that we do not share with our Livers," which fluent readers of legalese will notice is different from "the specific information and documents which Selen's lawyer requested we keep private from all non-legal department parties."

This statement ends with a "we investigated ourselves and found no evidence of wrongdoing"-type reassurance, but reading between the lines it's clear that something has broken down with Nijisanji's handling of private documents. Nijisanji's legal team has invented a new reason for why talent was shown this document to cover for their initial misunderstanding of what the document actually was, but the writing is still on the wall for anyone paying attention.

Around the same time as this statement, Doki walks back the claim of leaked medical information but reiterates that some of her information was improperly shared. She once again explains that she just wanted to move on from this chapter of her life, and by this point both legal and comms understand that there's a possibility to de-escalate the situation. Someone from Nijisanji's side makes an overture to Doki's lawyer, and at last the two parties begin to address the underlying misunderstanding.

Finally, Doki posts a final statement

that explains the pertinent document, alludes to some unspecified miscommunication without admitting any specific failure on her part, reiterates her intention to keep private information private, and calls for all fans to cease harassing talents. More than anything else discussed so far, it's this final statement that has me convinced this whole disaster started with legal's failure to properly understand Selen's account of her experience. Doki's final tweet reads like a carefully crafted statement that has been vetted by both parties in order to put the controversy to rest. Under the hood this statement does a lot of things all at once, and it's worth unpacking them all to understand the various concerns that are being addressed.

• Doki rebuts the specific claims that Elira, Ike, and Vox made towards her, explaining that the recording was a one-time remnant of a pre-event mic check and that the sensitive information was always intended to remain private. This allows her to get the last word in on these allegations, avoiding any situation where fans might be left with the impression that Selen ever intended to leak this information.
  • Doki acknowledges the potential for information to be lost in translation, thus lending support to the idea that both party's lawyers failed to understand one another. Explaining how things ever got to this point, Dokibird writes "All of the communication was done between lawyers in Japanese. Things are not black and white and everything gets more complicated and muddled when lawyers are involved in a different country. When things are conveyed to multiple parties through different degrees of communication, everything turns into different narratives and different translations." This copy explicitly alludes to the general shape of the error without delving into specifics or pointing fingers, letting Doki explain the series of miscommunications without throwing anyone under the bus.
  • Importantly for any specific parties in Nijisanji who may have misinterpreted Selen's document, Doki gives a fig leaf justification for Nijisanji's terrible response by explaining her intentions for public comment have changed over time. Doki writes that "Everything I post to the public about the situation was a response. If it was a month ago, it will have been different as I was angry but I was also very alone in my head. But it's not a month ago and I've accepted it." One month before Doki's final statement would be around January 14th, before Selen requested to leave Nijisanji. If she indicated that she planned to respond to a termination with a public statement around this time, her words here give anyone responsible for this mishap a fig leaf excuse that they can point to in order to explain what happened. Whoever is responsible for this mishap is almost certainly losing their job, but these few sentences give any responsible parties the thinnest possible sliver of justification they can cite to management. Anyone who sees the boulder of layoffs rolling downhill in their direction might plausibly push for it to be included.
  • Doki's statement ends with a request for fans not to harass the Livers and a straightforward explanation of her intentions to keep these matters private. NijiEN's credibility is on fire by now, and Doki is the only party in this dispute who fans and the outside onlookers might plausibly listen to. She's always been very clear that fans should not harass talent, but ending on this point one last time is crucial for Niji if they want to start putting out the fires. Doki has also been fairly explicit about her intentions to keep moving forwards, but her comments that "For those who wish to see receipts or documents or anything else, hoping I will reveal them, I'm sorry but these are the things that should be private and if needed, between lawyers" is the most explicit version of this message thus far. By writing this Doki has effectively demonstrated to both her fans and Nijisanji itself that she does not intend to leak sensitive information. This single sentence conclusively address the fears that prompted Nijisanji to over-react and provides a commitment that Niji can hold against Doki in the court of public opinion if she decides to provide reciepts while also letting her twist the knife one last time by implicitly blaming Niji for their improper handling of private materials. This sentence is very cleverly written and manages to convey all these ideas in a very concise way, and whoever wrote it 100% knew what they were doing.
  • Finally, and most importantly, this statement was translated into Japanese. If everything I've laid out so far wasn't enough, this last detail convinces me that Doki's most recent statement was a collaboratively-edited attempt at de-escalation. If I'm right that Nijisanji was somehow involved in vetting this final statement, it makes sense that they'd want it translated for JP-only staff and shareholders/board members to read. Remember, Doki does not speak fluent Japanese herself, so someone was either hired to translate this statement or provided the service free of charge. It's plausible that one of Doki's many bilingual friends in the vtubing world offered to step in to clear up any misunderstandings, but it seems more likely to me that someone in Nijisanji either translated the document in-house or paid for the document to be translated by an outside contractor (probably more advisable in light of everything that's happened so far). Going this route allows internal Nijisanji staff and stakeholders to easily assess how this situation is being resolved while also giving Doki a chance to explain herself to the JP-only audience who has largely been unsympathetic to her situation.

If I'm right, what should we expect to see next? Assuming everything I've laid out thus far is more or less accurate, Nijisanji now has two options for their path forwards. The first is a long period of silence from EN Livers, followed by a gradual ramp-up of streaming and a total cone of silence around the subject of Selen and her termination going forwards. In this version of a PR strategy Nijisanji would pivot from their misguided attacks and attempt to just memory hole these events, counting on the internet's short attention span to eventually take the heat off their talent and hoping that enough fans stick around to keep the EN branch financially viable. The second approach Nijisanji might take is one more final statement explaining the failure to communicate in general terms, apologizing profusely to Selen and promising that those responsible have been fired out a cannon into the sun in order to take some heat off the talent and the rest of management.

In my experience working with public-facing companies I've found that the C-Suite is (unfortunately) often loath to fully explain fuck-ups even after they've implemented fixes, since the same details that might lead a member of the public to forgive will also lead a shareholder to lose confidence in the stock. Whether I'm right about this series of events or not, my hope is that Nijisanji makes the necessary changes to turn the ship around and then offers the public as much transparency as they reasonably can in order to dispel the cloud hanging over the remaining talent. But walking this path would require them to make damaging admissions about profound failures while also collaborating with Doki in order to ensure her wish to move forwards is honored, and all these difficulties make me believe that a total memory-holing of this disaster is more likely.

Final thoughts: Reduced down to its essence, the basic task of a comms team is to understand an issue of interest, analyze the public's view of that issue in real time, and craft messages that ultimately move the public's view in the client's desired direction. If the version of events I've laid out here is more or less accurate, Nijisanji's PR strategy failed because they managed to screw up each of these three tasks. Nijisanji's comms team may have gotten off on the wrong foot because they were given bad information about the issue of interest from legal, but their subsequent failures to adjust their strategy in response to Dokibird's statements and the public's speculation are additional black marks in their own right separate from this original mistake.

All of these communications mishaps are also separate from the failures which occurred in the sphere of talent management, where EN managers failed to support and protect their most popular female streamer so badly that she attempted suicide and then hired legal representation to negotiate an exit from the company. My point in analyzing the communications dimension of this debacle is not to apologize for this mismanagement of talent but rather to explain how a bad PR response turned an intrinsically-bad piece of news for the company into a catastrophic scandal that has jeopardized the whole branch. Ironically, it might be fortunate for us that Nijisanji's comms approach missed the mark this badly, since a more competent communications strategy might have papered over these underlying problems and allowed the underlying mismanagement of talent to continue. My hope is that this catastrophe leads NijiEN's senior leadership to take a look in the mirror and make real changes to improve talent relations, comms, and translation services, but based on the moves we've seen thus far I can't say that I'm optimistic.
I'm not fond of this theory for a couple of reasons:

First, Doki's lawyer conveyed that the document should have been kept close to the vest for both parties, which should show an intent to not make the document public.

And second, and this is the big reason why I view this as copium, is that if you are in a negotiation, and someone is threatening to go fucking nuclear, you try to negotiate further and talk them down. What you do not do, is take any unilateral action that would force them to hit the button and go completely fucking nuclear unless you 100% want them to go nuclear.

If you think she's planning on going nuclear, breaking NDA and releasing everything. You do not try to "get ahead of it" by just issuing a termination that ultimately will do nothing to keep the sensitive information from getting out. You let them know that you will go after them hard if they do break any NDA, and you come back with some concessions to get them off of the ledge.

That would not be the result of any misunderstanding, that would be pure incompetence by multiple parties. Incompetence even more severe than what they've already demonstrated.

GOD'S STRONGEST BUILDERBEAR

"Shut up, Dazzle. I will clip your balls" -SB
Early Adopter
Either that or she's one dumb easily manipulated girl who will be used repeatedly by the actual problem folk unless she gets out.
My blood calls this bullshit.

frz

ah yes the height of human achievement NOT diddling kids.

wheres my medal i want one.
Sorry but this board is in guilty until proven innocent mode after kestraline

Kuri Rinji

Marlon Reis
If so, why double down when doki made it clear the document WASN'T going to be released and WILL NOT be published 2 times by the time "message from nijisanji en" has dropped
Considering how awful the communication pipeline is over at Niji, even if some of the employees realized they did an oopsie and preemptively fired all of their cannons, the ability to put the breaks on anything would very likely also be delayed.

lolwatagain

Considering how awful the communication pipeline is over at Niji, even if some of the employees realized they did an oopsie and preemptively fired all of their cannons, the ability to put the breaks on anything would very likely also be delayed.
I don't know, I'm assuming they suspended Scarle and quickly reversed course when they realized people noticed. I mean it took them about 5 hours, and they had more time than that in between the termination and Elira's terrible stream.

frz

Yesterday the gap closed from 54k to 31.6k (22.4k change), so I estimated that she'd probably pass Elira around mid/late tomorrow. However Doki has seen a big surge today because people have taken notice that she's getting close to Elira and that's become an entire topic on twitter now. Now Doki has 566.6k and Elira is down 570k, meaning there's only a 3.3k difference now (28.3k change).

Over the past few hours, the gap has been closing by around ~500 subs/16minutes. Doki will likely pass Elira within ~2 hours. Just from writing this, I've noticed it dropped from 3280 difference to 3220. However I just noticed there was a sudden 300 sub gain for Elira and now it's back up to a 3500 difference. This has happened like 3 times in the past ~2 hours, I think the Nijisisters are trying to bot subs for Elira to keep her above 570k. If Elira drops close to 570k and she has a sudden surge in subs again, they're definitely botting.

Doki/Elira Live Count Update Link
Potential Sub Botting
subdifference.png

I think they're botting subs and then getting purged by youtube. At the same time, youtube might be freaking out and thinking Doki is growing too fast because she just got culled another 100 subs.

She was basically labeled the "5th" member of Tempus for a long time and interacted with Holostars a lot. I doubt she would join in with that.

Oh hey I was wrong in thinking it would take another day ish for Doki to beat elira in subs
Seem like it gonna happens within 30 minutes from now

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom