General Vtuber Discussion (V1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nenélove

Menace of the Asylum
Early Adopter
Nene's Pet Latinx
Latinx/Latine
Thank god the debuts got contained elsewhere, now I don't have to see nolan sperging about the cute and funny.

The Holiest Hole

Needs to stop using imgur links
I'm curious. Why do some people here hate Twitch when it comes to watching vtubers? Is it just because they hate Twitch as a company, or because of their UI, or something else?

I ask because I'm kind of a convert to Twitch. It is an objectively awful platform when it comes to business practices, moderation, etc. But I like it for how it lets you feel an active part of the stream instead of a passive observer. I find watching vtubers on Youtube to be a lot duller than on Twitch. I'm not saying Twitch is better; they're equally bad in different ways, just that I'm surprised how quickly Twitch features have become an almost indispensable part of my watching experience that I feel deprived of on Youtube.
Regardless of the company's politics the platform has been designed to make money even if it will kill both viewer and streamer experience. Yes it incentivizes chat interaction with the streamer but it immediately backpedals by forcing viewers to watch ads for 4-5 minutes randomly. Streamers can't even turn off ads they can only modify the frequency that viewers will recieve ads. Now you can say that they have the right to absolutely fuck people who don't pay money to them but at this point Twitch could work out a better way to make money rather than invest in the adblocker war they just choose not to. As other people have stated above Twitch is in the same place as crunchyroll where they're not innovating at all they're just trying to leech more and more out of people with a platform that is getting older and not better.

Last Of The Mohicans

shopping cart not included
I'm curious. Why do some people here hate Twitch when it comes to watching vtubers? Is it just because they hate Twitch as a company, or because of their UI, or something else?

I ask because I'm kind of a convert to Twitch. It is an objectively awful platform when it comes to business practices, moderation, etc. But I like it for how it lets you feel an active part of the stream instead of a passive observer. I find watching vtubers on Youtube to be a lot duller than on Twitch. I'm not saying Twitch is better; they're equally bad in different ways, just that I'm surprised how quickly Twitch features have become an almost indispensable part of my watching experience that I feel deprived of on Youtube.
1) They have a war on adblockers that's been going on for years, with intrusive ads that will run for 3 minutes per hour and interrupt live content.
2) They have the worst VOD player you'll ever see, a buggy fucking mess.
3) If you want to tolerate the Twitch VOD player because you had to miss a stream, it's very likely the streamer played music that triggers Twitch's content-ID system and mutes significant portions (30 minute chunks) of said VOD.
4) The engagement tools you speak on can be both a blessing and a curse. For many people it comes off as distracting rather than as good content. For examples, see: Silvervale having major parts of her model controllable via chat points and watch her morph every 2 minutes into some random other outfit or God Forbid that "chibi" form. Another example would be the times a funding event happens such as a sub, dono, or bits, many 3D chuubas have an engagement tool set up such an object gets thrown at them and the streamer has to pretend "OH NO YOU HIT ME IN THE FACE WITH A GIANT FISH BECAUSE OF A $50 DONO".
5) From a broadcaster perspective, discoverability on Twitch does not exist. Anyone looking to stream as a career, go to any expert in the field and 100% the first piece of advice will be "You don't grow on twitch, you grow elsewhere that does have discoverability and transplant that audience into Twitch." or you try and network with streamers with bigger audiences than you and self-advertise while not making it obvious you're trying to self-advertise.

Most other complaints about Twitch are not actually unique to Twitch and is more a facet of Twitch being the default platform when someone wants to start streaming. So Twitch attracts the shitty dregs and ethots as well as people with actual entertainment talent.

The Proctor

Manager Arc Unlocked?
Staff member
Lovebug Proctologist
1) They have a war on adblockers that's been going on for years, with intrusive ads that will run for 3 minutes per hour and interrupt live content.

Why do I never get ads? I don't understand. I've never changed any settings, I just use default Brave and default uBlock Origin.

Last Of The Mohicans

Why do I never get ads? I don't understand. I've never changed any settings, I just use default Brave and default uBlock Origin.
You don't get ads on channels you are subscribed to, or if you pay $15/mo for "Twitch Turbo"

Compressed jpg

wtf is happening

Hff201

Pippa Fan, Failed Normalfriend
Early Adopter

Harrow Prime

Among Other Names.
Early Adopter
Kronii's Husband

The Proctor

Manager Arc Unlocked?
Staff member
Lovebug Proctologist
Do you only watch channels you're subscribed to?

Mostly yes. Do raiders get ads too? Raids are 90% of the forces behind me seeing new channels I'm not subbed to.

Is your VPN set to some third-world shithole?

I don't use a VPN for the most part, so no.

Lesbian Solid Snake

Pettan Hag Supremacy
Unlock Origin + ad blocker ultilmate + privacy possum + decentraleyes + Firefox + duckduckgo privacy essentials + vpn

Last Of The Mohicans

Mostly yes. Do raiders get ads too? Raids are 90% of the forces behind me seeing new channels I'm not subbed to.
Streamers can prevent a new viewer from getting pre-roll ads by using the Ad Management Tool and making sure they are running no less than 3 minutes of ads per hour during content.

Whether a streamer does this is up to them.
Twitch's Documentation on the Ad Automator
1686771429175.png

Twitch's documentation on pre-rolls: https://help.twitch.tv/s/article/disabling-prerolls?language=en_US

Last edited:

furaibou

鼻血が出るほどいい
How are you this ass-chafed about goober googles in the year of our lord 2023? Is this a Mundane Matt alt? Go push a boulder dude
Dude, what the fuck are goober googles?
Unlock Origin + ad blocker ultilmate + privacy possum + decentraleyes + Firefox + duckduckgo privacy essentials + vpn
+pan-galactic gargleblaster+sunscreen+weed+hammer smashed against head+coma...

Todd's Strongest Howard

Do not trust the sticker farmer.
Early Adopter
Well, we lost several VTubers due to the current wokeness in the gaming industry (you know, the Wizard game) which stems from Gamergate. I think you can make the connection.

Also, correction, it's the 9th year after Gamergate, not 10th. My bad. Don't judge me during PRIDE MONTH! HATERS!

I would judge you for being a fag but it's illegal during rainbow month. Midnight on the 30th though you swing.

Speech To Text

You don't get ads on channels you are subbed to. Streamers should be able to avoid ads being played to raiders in their settings, but you should eventually see ads on a channel you aren't subscribed to. It could also be ad laws in your country/region making ads less common.

Seth

Fubuki's Best Friendo

Speaking of twitch. I saw this on twitch yesterday

Archive
A twitch staff came in this guys chat to argue with him about the new twitch ToS etc.

Ok this guy acted like a total fag and people using the word " harrassment " are ultra fags. But this shit is fucking unprofessional you dont go in someones chat to argue because your new rules are shit wtf

Last Of The Mohicans

Ok this guy acted like a total fag and people using the word " harrassment " are ultra fags. But this shit is fucking unprofessional you dont go in someones chat to argue because your new rules are shit wtf
For what it's worth, here's the actual streamer's tweet about the shit.

"I just said fuck it and went to touch grass for a little bit. Whatever." And fun fact the staff apparently wasn't just some rando janny it was Twitch's Creative Director.

Murrayしないで

Just go live!
5) From a broadcaster perspective, discoverability on Twitch does not exist. Anyone looking to stream as a career, go to any expert in the field and 100% the first piece of advice will be "You don't grow on twitch, you grow elsewhere that does have discoverability and transplant that audience into Twitch." or you try and network with streamers with bigger audiences than you and self-advertise while not making it obvious you're trying to self-advertise.

I don't understand this "no discoverability on Twitch" thing people are echoing, because from both sides of it it seems to be the opposite for me. Let's say you want to see a stream on game X. On Twitch, you click Browse, you click the game's label, and there you go - streams only about game X. On YouTube, you have to search for that game, which will get you videos as well as streams unless you filter by "Live" only, and it still has the impreciseness of search where it might show you results for things it thinks are related to game X instead of just game X. And from the perspective of a 0/1view, I'm seeing far more people wander into my streams than ever did on YouTube. And I'm not alone on this. Everything I've seen from other established streamers up until this "no discoverability on Twitch" meme started circulating in the last couple weeks has advised the opposite - grow an audience on Twitch, then try to get them transplanted to more profitable and less obnoxious platforms when possible.

Lurker McSpic

We need to increase the hag population
Just dropping for the people who might be interested, the goth girl from the new idol's gen is chapipi who went on hiatus a while ago

her debut cover

Seth

Fubuki's Best Friendo
For what it's worth, here's the actual streamer's tweet about the shit.

"I just said fuck it and went to touch grass for a little bit. Whatever." And fun fact the staff apparently wasn't just some rando janny it was Twitch's Creative Director.

I can respect that then everyone deals with anxiety in different ways. Its more of twitter blowing things up like usual

Titanosaurus

Early Adopter
The Twitch viewer experience/chat interaction is much better IMO, but almost everything else is objectively worse. ESPECIALLY their video player/VOD system. And IMO, it'll be much easier for Youtube to fix their viewer experience issues rather than Twitch to fix their video player.....and everything else.
I have trouble reading the chat, but I do see how twitch would be fun for others. For me there's always crap covering the chat and it's to tinkery to get rid of it
It be cool if youtube added the redeem type stuff but had a way to turn it off on vods (like it's saved seperatly) for when you don't want to see/hear all that all the time.
Clip Tax :menhera:

^This is a comedy clip :SelenHAHAhere: it is not about pee pee poo poo:pekomusliml:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom