General Vtuber Discussion (V1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GOD'S STRONGEST BUILDERBEAR

"Shut up, Dazzle. I will clip your balls" -SB
Early Adopter
Excuse me?
IMG_20221006_031629.jpg
Also arists will always find their bread. Like, all the uncanny atrocities you need to get through before you can actually get decent results, you don't really go to an artist because you want a picture of vague anime girl. You go for an image of that anime girl MADE by that artist, his style, quirks and all, which ai cant do and at most will probably generate something generic as a result as the best outcome

Last edited:

RestlessRain

Early Adopter
Excuse me?
View attachment 1794
Also arists will always find their bread. Like, all the uncanny atrocities you need to get through before you can actually get decent results, you don't really go to an artist because you want a picture of vague anime girl. You go for an image of that anime girl MADE by that artist, his style, quirks and all, which ai cant do and at most will probably generate something

Here is what I see as the pros of an AI Artist:
- You don't want to pay any money and are willing to make compromises on quality. You aren't concerned about legal production and distribution rights
- Can try out all sorts of styles and designs as free rough drafts before requesting an artist to do a finalized design.

I can definitely see room for both types of art in the future.

Gravedigger

Most of the time, my own...
Early Adopter
About Vesper and what he said in his latest zatsudan about DnD:
He seems to be molded by the olden ways DnD used to be played. Low fantasy, mostly harsh with the rules, and even releshing in making his players mad. While he also said some stuff I agree with (ex: don't show pity just for pity's sake) his overall vibe sounds like I would rather not be a player in his campaing.
I hope he proves me wrong when I see his style in action, I think it will be entertaining either way, but he is not making me hopeful to experience a stellar example of modern DMing. Maybe I can improve my own style by seeing different things to do/ not do, as DnD nerd it's always neat to see others play, but I've quite mixed feelings about this.

Calli's WoD TTRPG was an interesting peek into a system I haven't played yet, I liked her style.

Laidho

Avalon's Most Wanted
I treat AI art as a quick and effective way to streamline concepts for personal pet projects, like making vague character concept arts for a DnD group. Especially for artistically challenged people. No need to seek out a random artist to commission them for stuff like that, until you want something more out of it.

Godzilla1984

Early Adopter
Screenshot_1.png
My idiot brain took a minute to process that these were two different streams.

Piarro

Early Adopter

It's shark time.
Less than 5 minutes in and she's already going on about smells. Now it's Disney again.

Last edited:

DaddyChill

What the hell is even that!
Early Adopter

AyoTempus

DoctorGladiatorAssassinHeroLobsterTempuraEater
Early Adopter
I highly doubt anyone in Cover management is that steeped and looped-in on RPGs that they'd know otherwise. Just general observance from Calli's TTRPG sessions with Myth but it felt like she had creative free-reign on it (at least, as far as I can recall). What they probably know about it at this point is that it's certainly filtering for the normie portion of their audience - though I really would just attribute that to Callie's DMing "voice" and general energy. Something tells me Vesper's might do better.
I'd imagine that question is how much does management care about whatever interpretation or use they have for the setting for Tempus' Hololore. Vesper has shown time and time again that he very much never wants to get into trouble or bother his boss with anything unless he has to. He doesn't overload management with perms requests, he got panicky due to DMCA bullshit with Spore to the point that he felt like ending the stream early, and overall he has shown that he tries not to be a nuisance so he doesn't get in trouble or bother people.

Because anything Vesper says about "Elysium" could be considered canon once you turn it from an inside joke of calling Australia "Northern Elysium" to Northern Elysium actually having geography, lore, economy, culture, political bodies, and all that sort of basic worldbuilding elements you'd expect to be shown in a fleshed out TTRPG. Vesper is an autistic perfectionist while being a long time DM. If I were in his position I'd have already written out a first draft for all four corners of Elysium if management let me. It is just a bunch of potential management bullshit that someone like Vesper probably would want to avoid. Oh and having to avoid potentially using the Tempus boys as NPCs if the story justifies it, as that can be kind of weird too depending on how much you care about plot in a TTRPG.

Calli's campaign to my knowledge had nothing to do with anything Holo related, it was purely a custom scenario that has nothing to do with HoloMyth. If Vesper ran HoloElysium as the setting, then it does become Holo related.

He seems to be molded by the olden ways DnD used to be played. Low fantasy, mostly harsh with the rules, and even releshing in making his players mad. While he also said some stuff I agree with (ex: don't show pity just for pity's sake) his overall vibe sounds like I would rather not be a player in his campaing.
I hope he proves me wrong when I see his style in action, I I think it will be entertaining either way, but he is not making me hopeful to experience a stellar example of DMing. Maybe I can improve my own style by seeing different things to do/ not do, as DnD nerd it's always newt to see others play, but I've quite mixed feelings about this.

Calli's WoD TTRPG was an interesting peek into a system I havn't played yet, I liked her style.
I think Vesper just wants to avoid the problem I've seen with a lot of modern post 5e/Critikal Role DnD where the DM is effectively a waiter for his players and the players are almost spoiled children in what they expect from the campaign. The always expecting a win types, the types who want to just have things go there way as long as they aren't a murder hobo, the type who can go "Hey can I get/use/be X" and the DM is expected to say "Yes" at every point otherwise they are "stifling" them. The type that overly values "fun" over "engagement". I think conflict, restriction, and harshness leads to people who are willing to roll with the punches to a better more engaging game because if you can just do whatever you want then it is hard to be engaged for very long. Their is a real limit to how much fun "just having fun" is IME when it comes to stuff like this. I remember a really old time DM made a huge essay post explaining this concept, and he effectively said that being an overly kind DM with your players is like eating junk food, it is nice for a moment but it is really unfulfilling.

My current problem with Vesper from how he's explained his TTRPG experiences so far is he I think over reached with trying to explain what a "Munchkin" is to someone like Magni who has no clue about this stuff. A Munchkin is an incredibly specific type of power gaming player as they're the type who tries to play full exploit Coffeelock unironically, and then Magni attributed it to stupid shit like "Anyone who plays Half Elf is a munchkin because they have good racial stats and Darkvision." I find these types of DMs who throw around the term "Munchkin" focus far too much on power in a player's build and will wag their finger if you dare make a strong build by trying to cuck you out somehow because you being good at something is "hogging spotlight" when you quite literally made your character to be good at that thing on purpose. Like you should be ashamed that you made your archer Fighter actually really good at shooting a bow for some reason. These types of DMs also tend to reeeeally hate Fighters for some reason due to how on the surface exploitable you can make a Fighter in 5e.

Spergatory

Early Adopter
View attachment 1795
My idiot brain took a minute to process that these were two different streams.
I personally can't stand ASMR but I guess it's cool for the people that like it.

Also looks like Lia is having some issues with her mic setup. If she can't fix it she's gonna do something else tonight.

kestraline

Early Adopter
Another rocket launch:

Lia ASMR is live too:

Last edited:

Piarro

Early Adopter
Gura is now telling us that she is seeing and hearing apparitions IRL. Multiple instances of things out of the corner of her eye.

She said she's started talking to "it". She's gone full mask off with the menhera shit in a public stream. She also said that she's starting stream earlier to try and fix her sleep schedule, so this timeslot may be a permanent change or end up even earlier.

The Rrat

Phoneposting, Rat-loving menace
Early Adopter
So happen to notice this in my feed, now you may ask who cares just a new staff but this guy has a history tried to create a safe space version of twitch that ran out of money before even going live and invested nearly half million of his own cash into it. Former twitch staff member and failed streamer on the platform guy bought his 50 emote slots on twitch buy gifting all the subs he could only to get 15 views on average.

Hiring ex-Twitch staff seems like a grand idea. They really know what they're doing!

:smugpipi:

electronic elephant

"I am uncontrollable. I cannot be managed."—Vesper
Early Adopter
Altare is streaming while traveling. (Soon he'll be ready to tell random cops about being an article 4 free inhabitant.)

That Chuuba Enjoyer

DM me if you have a Ed, Edd n Eddy clip
Early Adopter
Looks like cute guides are taking us on another trip today with a Visual Novel!

I assume it's a Yuri VN with the video title. Hopefully Akira contains herself enough during this stream!!!

thequ1eteye

Early Adopter
I love the banter between these two:

gregeoryL

Tulpa
Early Adopter
I highly doubt anyone in Cover management is that steeped and looped-in on RPGs that they'd know otherwise. Just general observance from Calli's TTRPG sessions with Myth but it felt like she had creative free-reign on it (at least, as far as I can recall). What they probably know about it at this point is that it's certainly filtering for the normie portion of their audience - though I really would just attribute that to Callie's DMing "voice" and general energy. Something tells me Vesper's might do better.

Also kinda surprised he didn't say he knew or liked Dimension 20. Brennan Lee Mulligan is such a fun DM and makes their sessions really fun and entertaining even for the normie crowd.

I hope he proves me wrong when I see his style in action, I think it will be entertaining either way, but he is not making me hopeful to experience a stellar example of modern DMing. Maybe I can improve my own style by seeing different things to do/ not do, as DnD nerd it's always neat to see others play, but I've quite mixed feelings about this.

Calli's WoD TTRPG was an interesting peek into a system I haven't played yet, I liked her style.

Chronicles of Darkness (which where Hunter the Vigil, the game Myth played, is from) doesn't really have any kind of storyline or scenario/adventure modules like most other TTRPGs provide. There is usually at least one starter scenario for each game line just to help people who have never played a TTRPG before, but after that, it is basically a complete sandbox environment. It gives you tools but expects the GM to come up with basically everything as far as stories and characters go.

Old World of Darkness is a bit different in that there are some characters and an overarching metaplot that most people ignore AFAIK (my group basically never paid attention to that stuff). Still no real scenario modules. Though I might be slightly wrong about that, my group mostly plays CofD.

Calli did pull a bit from oWoD elements for the Wurm and a few other things, but most everything that appeared in their sessions was completely made up out of her own head. CofD can be a really hard game for inexperienced GMs to run simply because of the amount of work it is, but I thought she did really well. Especially for having inexperienced players. Double especially for letting those inexperienced players do basically whatever they wanted (*cough watoto*).

CalliopeMori BiggerestFan

New Year, New Autism!
Early Adopter
What a truly riveting experience from this Gura stream. Complete and utter silence for an hour only broken by a bug jump scaring her.

Lia on the other hand is doing worm insertion ASMR as she gives chat a friend inside their head.

I haven't caught an Ame stream in a while. Has she had a Spanish translator for a while? Someone has been live translating all stream into Spanish.
Untitled.png

Last edited:

Piarro

Early Adopter
What a truly riveting experience from this Gura stream. Complete and utter silence for an hour only broken by a bug jump scaring her.
I knew it was too good to be true. Maybe she'll still do a zatsu after gameplay (we really need a rainbow sticker)

The Peanut Gallery

His smile and optimism: Restored. 🕯️👁️
Early Adopter
While we wait for the pippa
Kirche streaming digimon anf got done talking about Brazilian human traffiking

Also Tomoe is gonna do a dramatic Dr. Suess reading an hour after Pippa starts.

Todd's Strongest Howard

Do not trust the sticker farmer.
Early Adopter

I am interested in how it plays out with him, I can vary a lot in my style depending on the type of group I'm running with and what their expectations are of the game. It's unfortunate that Crit Role kind of bred this age of players that more or less just want a loosely corralled chatroom RP experience with some loose dice arbitration on key events and to be fed this grand story, when that's hardly typical for anyone that isn't a major writing sperg. Even then, that style of game doesn't always mesh with everyone. Sometimes you just want to smash monsters and gather loot. I can get behind someone with a good sense for setting the scene and leading the game where they want it to go and that's where most of my respect for Calli comes from, she is actually really good at bringing your attention into the game, at least for me.

My issue with Vesper's outlook, I feel like it might be a bit harsh for new players that don't really grasp what they're in for. Axel's history with CoC I think he'll be fine since my experience with that system, it's a little unforgiving itself, but I think Magni's going to get rolled. I've played with new players so many times overs the years, I find going too hard on freshies out of the gate kills their mood, so I hope he goes the route where he paints their campaign as some grueling challenge but he's going soft on them behind the scenes so that he can let them have a 'hard won victory' even though he was softballing the entire time. Then he can meatgrinder the fuck out of them in the next campaign.

I'd imagine that question is how much does management care about whatever interpretation or use they have for the setting for Tempus' Hololore. Vesper has shown time and time again that he very much never wants to get into trouble or bother his boss with anything unless he has to. He doesn't overload management with perms requests, he got panicky due to DMCA bullshit with Spore to the point that he felt like ending the stream early, and overall he has shown that he tries not to be a nuisance so he doesn't get in trouble or bother people.

Because anything Vesper says about "Elysium" could be considered canon once you turn it from an inside joke of calling Australia "Northern Elysium" to Northern Elysium actually having geography, lore, economy, culture, political bodies, and all that sort of basic worldbuilding elements you'd expect to be shown in a fleshed out TTRPG. Vesper is an autistic perfectionist while being a long time DM. If I were in his position I'd have already written out a first draft for all four corners of Elysium if management let me. It is just a bunch of potential management bullshit that someone like Vesper probably would want to avoid. Oh and having to avoid potentially using the Tempus boys as NPCs if the story justifies it, as that can be kind of weird too depending on how much you care about plot in a TTRPG.

Calli's campaign to my knowledge had nothing to do with anything Holo related, it was purely a custom scenario that has nothing to do with HoloMyth. If Vesper ran HoloElysium as the setting, then it does become Holo related.

I think Vesper just wants to avoid the problem I've seen with a lot of modern post 5e/Critikal Role DnD where the DM is effectively a waiter for his players and the players are almost spoiled children in what they expect from the campaign. The always expecting a win types, the types who want to just have things go there way as long as they aren't a murder hobo, the type who can go "Hey can I get/use/be X" and the DM is expected to say "Yes" at every point otherwise they are "stifling" them. The type that overly values "fun" over "engagement". I think conflict, restriction, and harshness leads to people who are willing to roll with the punches to a better more engaging game because if you can just do whatever you want then it is hard to be engaged for very long. Their is a real limit to how much fun "just having fun" is IME when it comes to stuff like this. I remember a really old time DM made a huge essay post explaining this concept, and he effectively said that being an overly kind DM with your players is like eating junk food, it is nice for a moment but it is really unfulfilling.

My current problem with Vesper from how he's explained his TTRPG experiences so far is he I think over reached with trying to explain what a "Munchkin" is to someone like Magni who has no clue about this stuff. A Munchkin is an incredibly specific type of power gaming player as they're the type who tries to play full exploit Coffeelock unironically, and then Magni attributed it to stupid shit like "Anyone who plays Half Elf is a munchkin because they have good racial stats and Darkvision." I find these types of DMs who throw around the term "Munchkin" focus far too much on power in a player's build and will wag their finger if you dare make a strong build by trying to cuck you out somehow because you being good at something is "hogging spotlight" when you quite literally made your character to be good at that thing on purpose. Like you should be ashamed that you made your archer Fighter actually really good at shooting a bow for some reason. These types of DMs also tend to reeeeally hate Fighters for some reason due to how on the surface exploitable you can make a Fighter in 5e.

I wildly oscillate between understanding and not understanding Vesper's stance on not wanting to use 'Elysium' because it's part of kayfabe and would be awkward to them, but at the same time c'mon man we know you're not really a Great Value Alucard. I sympathize and disagree with his stance on it and don't really understand why, beyond yeah, maybe he doesn't want to end up canonizing something that someone else in Cover has plans for.

I get not wanting to play into the kind of game that just feeds players wish fulfillment, but at the same time that can be a good lead to start really challenging the players. Feed them a bit of easy dubs, pander to the character fantasy a little, but slowly you're starting to reel them into the shallows and it's full of grit and pain as now they're invested in keeping their little happiness fountain safe and the threats they're starting to deal with are genuinely concerning. Players that are really into the game will get into the drama of their characters being threatened but managing to scrape by or fight their way out. Players that just want to be catered to will wash out on their own.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom