"Pee in my mouth... don't do that. I think I regret saying that"Mint Fantome

Breaking Dimensions: Hololive English 2nd Concert

Aquatic Novellite

Freshwater Shiorin
Early Adopter
If voices are enough, Nenélove is clearly a very fast rodent from Mexico.

The Rrat

Phoneposting, Rat-loving menace
Early Adopter

Nenélove

Menace of the Asylum
Early Adopter
Nene's Pet Latinx
Latinx/Latine
If voices are enough, Nenélove is clearly a very fast rodent from Mexico.
I am indeed speedy gonzalez, but not the one you remember from the cartoons.

I am speedy after he went to prison for 8 years due to drug trafficking, disturbing the peace, disorderly conduct and several acts of indecent behavior around animals, I am speedy after he got out on bail due to the cartels wanting to lynch him for once a long time ago beating Ignacio Roperos de son of the local druglord and politician in chess, I am speedy after he chewed his way out a car trunk in the middle of the chihuahua desert while drunk off of raw agave juice and suffering multiple cases of hysterics and hallucinations in which satanas himself came to him for not inviting him to his niece's quinceañera. AND I AM SPEEDY AFTER HE WENT ON A 6 MONTH REVENGE PLOT AGAINST HIS WIFE'S KILLER, EL LOBO DE CHAPULTEPEC IN AN EPIC ACTION PACKED THRILLER STARRING BEYONCE AND BRAD PIT.

Aka Split

IRyS's husband
Early Adopter
I mean, I already posted my face (I am a living cup of mountain dew, my obsession with baja blast is because I love cultural appropriation). Also I have secretly posted another body part (it is not my penis, so no one here will be interested in looking for it).

Edit: and I can never read the word 'coming' anymore without imagining IRyS's pronunciation of it:
so be wary of a 6'3" latino coming to get your ass.

Last edited:

Willemshaven

Outlasted the Chinese Community Sinicization Group
True & Honest Holofan

PleaseCheckYourReceipts

At this point, I'm really quite confused how much they actually do completely live. I thought it was only the MC segments, but maybe there's an option for solo or groups to do it on-site & live? They obviously script all of the song & camera work (because that's just the Japanese way), but, outside of the full group songs, I wonder how much is actually done via Live Capture right at the time. We're fairly certain Korone, Moona, Fauna, Mumei and Gura weren't there, so any of their segments were done in Japan and then just done via live playback.

I think, except for the transitions, basically none of it is Pre-Rendered, which is pretty cool for where the tech actually is now. And it would explain the complete lack of shadows, shading and specific light sources. But if they are doing stuff on-site, that probably highly limits the actual locations they can use, as you'd still need a fairly sizable secondary space for them to setup their Travel Studio.

Actually, you could back-work which segments were captured in Japan. There'll be a more accurate tracking effect you could observe, on close inspect, compared to the MC segments. So Bae probably did her solo song back in Japan, because I doubt the their mobile setup could handle that.

ValkyrieAce

in a toxic relationship with IRyS

At this point, I'm really quite confused how much they actually do completely live. I thought it was only the MC segments, but maybe there's an option for solo or groups to do it on-site & live? They obviously script all of the song & camera work (because that's just the Japanese way), but, outside of the full group songs, I wonder how much is actually done via Live Capture right at the time. We're fairly certain Korone, Moona, Fauna, Mumei and Gura weren't there, so any of their segments were done in Japan and then just done via live playback.

I think, except for the transitions, basically none of it is Pre-Rendered, which is pretty cool for where the tech actually is now. And it would explain the complete lack of shadows, shading and specific light sources. But if they are doing stuff on-site, that probably highly limits the actual locations they can use, as you'd still need a fairly sizable secondary space for them to setup their Travel Studio.

Actually, you could back-work which segments were captured in Japan. There'll be a more accurate tracking effect you could observe, on close inspect, compared to the MC segments. So Bae probably did her solo song back in Japan, because I doubt the their mobile setup could handle that.

Bae talked about having a breakdown while doing their rehersal though because the music track they sent for her to perform to was wrong and it took until the last minute for them to get a corrected version. In recent years, I don't think they do the performances themselves live, but they do them on the day, probably a couple hours of before. That way they can avoid any severe technical issues but still have the energy of performing on the day for everyone. MCs are largely live now though.

Nenélove

Menace of the Asylum
Early Adopter
Nene's Pet Latinx
Latinx/Latine

Stop trying to calculate it dude, most of it is pre-recorded and it's been that way since years ago simply because doing it live would be a nightmare (specially for fes with how many people are involved) and any fuckups would be reported on as the end of the world because of "the sheer unprofessionalism of cover."

PleaseCheckYourReceipts

Bae talked about having a breakdown while doing their rehersal though because the music track they sent for her to perform to was wrong and it took until the last minute for them to get a corrected version. In recent years, I don't think they do the performances themselves live, but they do them on the day, probably a couple hours of before. That way they can avoid any severe technical issues but still have the energy of performing on the day for everyone. MCs are largely live now though.

I do imagine it's not Real Time Live performance, but it's a question of the delay. Because Suisei is talking as if the performances were done while the crowd was there. It's just interesting that it seems some stuff has changed with the technology over time. Because I'm fairly certain it was all captured weeks in advance before, like with the big group song where members were posting clips of their dancing in it as Shorts well before the event.

Stop trying to calculate it dude, most of it is pre-recorded and it's been that way since years ago simply because doing it live would be a nightmare (specially for fes with how many people are involved) and any fuckups would be reported on as the end of the world because of "the sheer unprofessionalism of cover."

I'm not, I'm saying you could. There's a difference. But there's also an interesting change to a number of the performances not being done weeks in advance, which means the time needed to process the capture is quite different now.

Sankisei

HOLOLIVE SAIKYO
I do imagine it's not Real Time Live performance, but it's a question of the delay. Because Suisei is talking as if the performances were done while the crowd was there. It's just interesting that it seems some stuff has changed with the technology over time. Because I'm fairly certain it was all captured weeks in advance before, like with the big group song where members were posting clips of their dancing in it as Shorts well before the event.

I'm not, I'm saying you could. There's a difference. But there's also an interesting change to a number of the performances not being done weeks in advance, which means the time needed to process the capture is quite different now.
Suisei just does whatever she wants its my rrat

White Stone

A literal white stone
Early Adopter

From the clip you linked, Suisei mainly talked about her observation of the live audience. It is possible that the performances were prerecorded, but they still get a direct live feed of the audience on that day itself, so that they can "feel" like they are performing live. I remember Gura saying something similar back in 3rd Fes (reminder that they still couldn't travel to Japan during that time). She said she can see the audience live, but nothing about performing live.

BlueSharkTV

Fucking Riggers
Early Adopter
Yuria's Husband
From the clip you linked, Suisei mainly talked about her observation of the live audience. It is possible that the performances were prerecorded, but they still get a direct live feed of the audience on that day itself, so that they can "feel" like they are performing live. I remember Gura saying something similar back in 3rd Fes (reminder that they still couldn't travel to Japan during that time). She said she can see the audience live, but nothing about performing live.
Kronii said she was poking out of a window to look at the audience and wondered if people would see her, so I think they just get a room overlooking the concert hall so they can see the reaction of the whole crowd.

Aka Split

IRyS's husband
Early Adopter
Kronii said she was poking out of a window to look at the audience and wondered if people would see her, so I think they just get a room overlooking the concert hall so they can see the reaction of the whole crowd.
Wasn't that in the context of leaving the venue after the show?

BlueSharkTV

Fucking Riggers
Early Adopter
Yuria's Husband
Wasn't that in the context of leaving the venue after the show?
nah she said before it started she saw the audience getting seated while looking for Kronies before the concert started.

nooternun

(๑ 'ᆺ' ) Pfp is me IRL
After Aqua's last live watching this concert again feels really refreshing so I thought I would give my thoughts. The whole concert really solidified how EN has bought into being Hololive Idols. It's a ton of work and they all shined bright. I was initially skeptical that EN would follow JP/ID's lead considering it a career so sometimes it's nice being wrong.

Thoughts
High Tide. This is Moona's floor. Her enunciation was much better. The direction really highlighted everyone too. Amazing.
Shiori is so expressive in 3D. An absolute walking and talking dork cringe machine.
Rissa told people to go to SWPN during her MC instead of streaming+. FWMC shilled both. She feels like a fellow fan just telling us where she watched past concerts. Hope she didn't get bonked.
White girl emo/goth Muimei/Fauna duo into chuuni/Shiori then hype tsun/Kronii? Menhera block fucking did work.
Whatever they did to Rissa's model to make a nerdy scoliosis white girl so sensual needs to be replicated. Could be thicc thighs...
Kiara's pineapple song is good but her dancing makes it great. So awkward otherwise but her choreography is always fun.
Biboo = Botan. Irys = Nene. Calli = Polka. Bae = Lamy. Bit cursed but Blue Clapper is amazing
Advent's Rebellion was insane. Everyones vocals felt tailor made and that energy was so fun.
Biboo really owned the stage which is impressive considering she was a gamer 2view a year or so ago. Straight soul!
Calli and Kiara - a real improvement for Calli as an idol as she sang really well and hit all the moves. Can you believe that Kiara was more cringe the Calli this live?! Takotori sales...
It's a FACT that Ina, Kronii and Shiori together is unfair. I need an unrequited love anonymous group to join.
Confident Muimei is so fucking impressive. I love the JP songs but EN originals hit different and Muimei's vocals are so melodic.
Speaking of originals, Rissa hip checked my reality...:MozumiPichi:Considering her RM I thought she would be more awkward but she's cabaret level...
Plus her watching Fauna twirl like an ethereal being and then watching Shiori... Shiori, was so fun.

MCs
Shiori x Kronii and Shiori x Rissa - too fucking much. Two femcels vs one with an unrequited lover. Shiori started it and Rissa ended it - if Hololive went full Yuri.
I think Mori is so cringe for me because she says similar things that I would say. "Nice to meet you if I haven't but I think I have"....Monday morning meeting vibes..
I love love love how newer members do the announcements for the concerts. Is this an idol thing or just Cover looking to involve everyone?

The camera work is better but so many moments I wished for a head on static shot.

They badly need new 3D outfits that fit their personality plus if you are gonna have a concert encore give them Idol tshirts!

The call and responses were pretty confusing but I wasn't in the audience. Still, even small things like Suisei changing her greeting to include Irys caught everyone off guard.

I think Kronii is a bit menhera about her model but Cover added spats to Kiara while she has at best a bikini bottom. It's legit the type of outfit that got Mel and Choco banned.

Gura... fuck. Not optimistic that Cover or her figure whatever "it" is out. Girl is naturally charismatic but camera shy.

Bae's hiphop/kpop style is impressive but the limits of the model and motion capture don't quite "capture" how great she is. Imma link Plave because kpop. Ignore their faces and focus on how the high tempo dance style translates better somehow. I mean look at this. Feels like no matter how many cameras or sensors you have won't be enough. Bae is great, she hits her moves so fucking hard. Just like the camera work I want to see everything she has to offer.

... Calli, please do an ASMR where your are nervously MCing. It's adorable.
For the future
Please, an Ame x Shiori MC
Pare Pare at the end!? That's like taking one last bump. Fuck, I need more!

Curious, who do you think were more nervous?
- Those who never thought they would be doing this kind of content
or
- Those who have always dreamed of being able to stand on the stage

akaaoi

Because I'm fairly certain it was all captured weeks in advance before, like with the big group song where members were posting clips of their dancing in it as Shorts well before the event.
Whether they do it weeks before or do it on the day, they're going to have to rehearse it beforehand and surely that's where they get the Shorts dances from?

I'm in the camp that they do record a version for everyone beforehand just in case (Mumei confirmed that she's recovering from Covid in a stream she did a few hours ago, so she wouldn't have been able to be there on the day for example, and there's been previous cases when someone's come down with something just before a concert), but I do think that they also either allow or prefer for people to do it on the day if they're available. Bae's pretty self critical about minute flaws in her dancing in her after-show watchalongs so I'd bet that she'd be pushing for second takes if she was doing it in a studio instead of settling for flawed performances (unless they do pre-record but only allow 1 take for semi-authenticity, I guess).

tragic amphibian

Given both the spectrum of both dance and singing skills for the performers, I'd imagine the live performances are limited to those that are demonstrated to be completely consistent.
  • Suisei and Calli, for example, have demonstrated the ability to perform live many times in the past and probably have a go-ahead on performing everything live.
  • Talent like Bae is probably allowed to do live choreography with pre-recorded vocals, especially due to her choreography being the sort of stuff that would get in the way of a solid vocal performance.
  • Folks like Fauna and Ame, who need not just pitch but timing correction, are guaranteed to have vocals pre-recorded. This probably also means that their sense of physical timing is going to be a little off, so they'll need pre-recorded motion performance to guarantee a good take.
MC is not a problem for live stuff since that's just walking and talking and that's their job to begin with.

The Rrat

Phoneposting, Rat-loving menace
Early Adopter
Given both the spectrum of both dance and singing skills for the performers, I'd imagine the live performances are limited to those that are demonstrated to be completely consistent.
  • Suisei and Calli, for example, have demonstrated the ability to perform live many times in the past and probably have a go-ahead on performing everything live.
  • Talent like Bae is probably allowed to do live choreography with pre-recorded vocals, especially due to her choreography being the sort of stuff that would get in the way of a solid vocal performance.
  • Folks like Fauna and Ame, who need not just pitch but timing correction, are guaranteed to have vocals pre-recorded. This probably also means that their sense of physical timing is going to be a little off, so they'll need pre-recorded motion performance to guarantee a good take.
MC is not a problem for live stuff since that's just walking and talking and that's their job to begin with.
Bae usually has a couple mistakes in her performances, according to her. Whether they do "final recording" or actual live performances, it doesn't really matter, tbh. Recorded or not, the shit they do is impressive as fuck.

Aka Split

IRyS's husband
Early Adopter
I think it's most likely that all the performances are recorded well in advance, but along the lines of this:
(unless they do pre-record but only allow 1 take for semi-authenticity, I guess).
Sure, they'll do a retake if something catastrophic happens like they trip and fall down or completely forget a part, but I don't think they are recording over and over looking for the perfect run. I don't think any of the concert performances (outside of solo-lives) are live, isn't there always that cope that 'live' in Japan just means 'concert' and not 'live'?

PleaseCheckYourReceipts

Whether they do it weeks before or do it on the day, they're going to have to rehearse it beforehand and surely that's where they get the Shorts dances from?

I'm in the camp that they do record a version for everyone beforehand just in case (Mumei confirmed that she's recovering from Covid in a stream she did a few hours ago, so she wouldn't have been able to be there on the day for example, and there's been previous cases when someone's come down with something just before a concert), but I do think that they also either allow or prefer for people to do it on the day if they're available. Bae's pretty self critical about minute flaws in her dancing in her after-show watchalongs so I'd bet that she'd be pushing for second takes if she was doing it in a studio instead of settling for flawed performances (unless they do pre-record but only allow 1 take for semi-authenticity, I guess).

Sony's "First Take" Youtube Series is probably the best example of what is likely going on. The Japanese Idol industry understands the imperfections are what makes live events so valuable. While they're Japanese and will practice way too much to try to do things perfectly, it's the "approaching perfection" effect that is a huge part of the appeal. But they need to capture a real performance, not something tweaked to mechanical perfection.

You can Real Time voice correct at this point and have been able to for a while, though they'd be little reason for a 3D rendered concert to be setup to be that time critical. My main point is that I used to assume that they had a "big concert" day a bit before these events at their studio, did the whole thing, then fixed any major rendering issues and played it. But somewhere by 2nd Fes, it appears some stuff was maybe "on the day" Live. Which from a technical standpoint doesn't make the most sense, but from a "we're idols and we want to perform Live" members it makes sense. I imagine each song is basically done differently.

They rock up to the venue with the entire concert ready, but they do some of the capture at a studio that day and the MC sections probably at the same time. Though it seems like they might have rolled out 100% real time MC sections this go around, which is something I'm sure they've wanted to do for a while. True Real-Time MC sections would be very valuable to the concerts. Rather than it being effectively a Magic Trick, it allows for full interaction and can really heighten what they'd do for other events. We've already seen 3D Meet & Greets from other conventions, but, at the technical level Cover requires, it probably takes a better setup.

Top Bottom