"STOP SWEARING, IRYS!!!"Ouro Kronii

Anime Board/General Content Board Proposal

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Proctor

Manager Arc Unlocked?
Staff member
Lovebug Proctologist
So I'd like to get community feedback regarding whether or not they'd like a board for anime content or more off-topic content in general. The poll should be reasonably comprehensive in terms of options. Not much to say here, just want to know what people think.

Realticule

Prime Indigenous Pipkin Pippa Appreciator.
Early Adopter
I CAN STILL FIX HER
✡︎ God's Chosen Schizo ✡︎
I'd like an anime/manga thread and a general offtopic but if I could pick one or the other an anime thread would it as I'm usually looking for recommendations.

Godzilla1984

Early Adopter
Feature creep ruined the homeland.

The Proctor

Manager Arc Unlocked?
Staff member
Lovebug Proctologist

Godzilla1984

Early Adopter
What do you mean?
It's hard to explain, but I'll try.
I've always lurked in the homeland, and over the years I watched it go from CWC to lolcows to so much other random stuff. The general vibe took a turn with each step of, for want of a better word, Balkanization.
I remember the BBS days, and the lean and mean focus on one topic served the same function as the megathread here and the homeland; it filters out people.
Think of it as practical autism in practice to hyper focus on one thing really good in one place with its own culture and all that jazz.

The Proctor

Manager Arc Unlocked?
Staff member
Lovebug Proctologist
It's hard to explain, but I'll try.
I've always lurked in the homeland, and over the years I watched it go from CWC to lolcows to so much other random stuff. The general vibe took a turn with each step of, for want of a better word, Balkanization.
I remember the BBS days, and the lean and mean focus on one topic served the same function as the megathread here and the homeland; it filters out people.
Think of it as practical autism in practice to hyper focus on one thing really good in one place with its own culture and all that jazz.

I appreciate the insight. I do understand those concerns, and I lean towards accepting them overall. However, it's always been my intention to grow this project beyond its roots. I don't mean 'sell out for the reddit crowd' by any means, but at some point we have to establish at least a trickle of outsiders or resign ourselves to being a gated community with an objectively finite lifespan. I place a lot of value on the opinions of the existing userbase (hence why I'm not going ahead with this idea, given there's not much point in a poll if I then totally ignore the results), but I do want you to keep in mind that practical concerns alone mean I can't just eternally cater to the same 100-odd regulars every time.

Fucking YTs

I just want to annoy people in peace.
Early Adopter
I think taking focus away from general is a bad idea. I think if you open it up to something like an off-topic anime/manga thread there is going to be lot of moderation needed with normies coming in where there really isn't now. There is also a million places to talk about anime & manga.

I think keeping things hyper focused will benefit the site in the long run.

Also, the resource tab could be interesting for some off-topic stuff like software recommendations, but I'm not sure how quickly that will get out of control.

Fucking YTs

Early Adopter
but I do want you to keep in mind that practical concerns alone mean I can't just eternally cater to the same 100-odd regulars every time
Do you have a plan for this site beyond it's initial inception?

The Proctor

Manager Arc Unlocked?
Staff member
Lovebug Proctologist
Do you have a plan for this site beyond it's initial inception?

I have all the plans of somebody with no experience in digital marketing whatsoever.

Before all this kicked off, I mentioned on poa.st that I would guarantee this forum three months of my personal investment. We're now roughly halfway through that period. I need to start thinking hard about ways to make this place self-sustaining. I don't even know if Xenforo has built-in monetization options, but I would never go with anything intrusive anyway, so my options are fairly limited. Who knows, maybe the next thread here will be a 'how to self-fund' thread. Something like Patreon is a potential option, but I'm not sure if they'd demand content restrictions.

But how this ties back into growth and membership is simple; more people join, give more exposure, so more people join. I don't want to be a huge soulless enterprise, but I don't believe in gatekeeping beyond making it absolutely transparent what kind of community we are and telling people that we expect them to assimilate with us instead of the other way around.

Fucking YTs

Early Adopter
I have all the plans of somebody with no experience in digital marketing whatsoever.

Before all this kicked off, I mentioned on poa.st that I would guarantee this forum three months of my personal investment. We're now roughly halfway through that period. I need to start thinking hard about ways to make this place self-sustaining. I don't even know if Xenforo has built-in monetization options, but I would never go with anything intrusive anyway, so my options are fairly limited. Who knows, maybe the next thread here will be a 'how to self-fund' thread. Something like Patreon is a potential option, but I'm not sure if they'd demand content restrictions.

But how this ties back into growth and membership is simple; more people join, give more exposure, so more people join. I don't want to be a huge soulless enterprise, but I don't believe in gatekeeping beyond making it absolutely transparent what kind of community we are and telling people that we expect them to assimilate with us instead of the other way around.
I could see using Gumroad or something like that, but I'm not sure if you need a tangible item to sell or if just putting another tag by someone's name would work for a membership. I'm willing to help out as long as I don't have to think about it. I'm old.

sbm

Early Adopter
Archivist
A single thread for anime and manga would be great. Any more and we'd struggle to maintain activity.

Johnny Jambalaya

99%
Early Adopter
Ward Security

What is the cost per month right now? I am more than willing to send over some BTC.

The Proctor

Manager Arc Unlocked?
Staff member
Lovebug Proctologist
What is the cost per month right now? I am more than willing to send over some BTC.

Currently 73 buckos a month. Have never used crypto before aside from setting up a Bisq account right before the last bust and then going 'lol nah' and forgetting about it. But not opposed to it. You might have to put up with my hideous normie vibe though. Either way, it's by no means a priority until at least next month.

Johnny Jambalaya

99%
Early Adopter
Ward Security
Currently 73 buckos a month. Have never used crypto before aside from setting up a Bisq account right before the last bust and then going 'lol nah' and forgetting about it. But not opposed to it. You might have to put up with my hideous normie vibe though. Either way, it's by no means a priority until at least next month.
If you get it set up or just want to do a one-off, I have a wallet with about 1.1 millions sats (~$212 current market value) that I would empty out and send your way.

Banana Hammock

Born to Sneed
Early Adopter
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom