"It might be someone's fetish to put beautiful girls dangerously near whirling blades"Noir Vesper

Yuri and Phase Connect seperation thread

Kourai

Not pictured: the will to live
Early Adopter
Archivist
Hm. I didn't watch Yuri or Phase much, so I can't say I'm torn up. Still sucks.

Agreed. Though I think Phase worded it badly. The use of Termination makes it sound like she was fired, and not that it was a lapse in contract due to breakdown in negotiations. People are reading that one word and spinning rrats immediately. You're already seeing people on /vt/ comparing Idol to Phase saying "3 graduations is not as bad as one termination".
It is odd that the announcement flip-flops between calling it a termination and an infeasible renewal. Usually a company will consistently use the latter reason for separation if they can. Maybe the timing was weird and her contract had actually just been renewed.

Edit: Crosspost from the homeland:
Sakana has said before how Canadian labor laws really favor the employee and it's a big hassle for a company to fire someone since they have to prove more things in order to justify it. It's a shame, I like Yuri! Kind of ridiculous the Twitter replies dragging Phase Connect. If she kept violating her contract, she knows the consequences.
So one would think Sakana would have stuck with infeasible renewal if he could.

For the sake of documentation, Sakana made an additional comment when sharing the link in the Phase-Connect Discord server, asking people not to ask the talents about it, out of respect for Yuri.

View attachment 21775

EDIT: This has nothing to back it up and I haven't heard this rumour personally, but a recent reddit post claims she was taking personal donations to bypass Phase's cut. This feels like an unsubstantiated rrat so take with a grain of salt.

View attachment 21778
Archive
What stands out to me is that Sakana tells people not to ask the talents about it (standard procedure) out of respect for Yuri (unusual). The farewell video is also unusual. I don't know if Yuri signed away or sold her IP to Phase when she joined as an Invader, and it would suck for her if she did and that's why her channels were nuked. We also haven't heard her side yet. Other than that, this is much more professional and seemingly amicable than, say, Zaion's termination.

My rrat about the donation rrat: Pippa, Calli, etc. have roommate personas which conduct activities that aren't affiliated with their corpo and are essentially a second job. You can send money to those and bypass their corpo, but they can't actively promote their roommates under their corpo identities. Since Yuri was a Phase Invader, does she have a known roommate? (Edit: What I'm getting at is, maybe accounts which would have been Yuri's roommate property are Phase's property because the Yuri persona joined Phase, instead of Yuri's roommate taking on a new corpo model.)

Last edited:

CalliopeMori BiggerestFan

New Year, New Autism!
Early Adopter
The craziest thing to me is that with all of the various controversies these past two years...Yuri is the one to go. While certainly unhinged like the rest, I don't recall her ever making waves like lemon woman or the rabbit. I certainly wouldn't have put my money on her being first.

RestlessRain

Early Adopter
HOLY SHIT THIS IS SAD BUT ALSO EXCITES ME FOR THE FUTURE POSSIBILITY THIS HAPPENS TO RIE!
It's important to know that Superduper is super duper not Rie pretending to be a Rie anti.

By the way, Rie, next week's planner isn't up yet. How am I supposed to know if you're doing any collabs if you don't have your schedule up?

Just pretending

The Great Bald Rrat
Early Adopter
The craziest thing to me is that with all of the various controversies these past two years...Yuri is the one to go. While certainly unhinged like the rest, I don't recall her ever making waves like lemon woman or the rabbit. I certainly wouldn't have put my money on her being first.
I think this is the main and only argument for the rrat that she was terminated because of breaking the contract with Phase Connect. However, as a great bald rrat myself I shall oppose the "donos straight to my pocket" narrative vehemently, simply because it seems to have originated on r*ddit.

God's Strongest Dragoon

My take about yuri graduation is that it should be a warning for all people that keeps incentivizing people line Kirsche and other vtubers to join PC.

While we don't know anything about yuri termination, she lost her channel, model and everything else because of it. She did transfered the ownership of it to them, so yeah, next time when you want your oshi to join any company keep that in mind
That's kind of expected with all corps and I don't really get why people haven't figured it out yet. The model/identity has intrinsic value tied to it even after the talent retires. The corps will obviously want to own it because it disincentives talents from breaking away if that means you'll have to start over from scratch. Sure, there's been instances of vtubers "restarting" but they've typically only gained equal or more subs when moving to a bigger company (Rosemi) or they absolutely shilled the fuck out of their PL for months on end to help their fans transition to that new account (Kson).

In some of these smaller corps you'll see talents retain their models because the company is either failing, they don't understand negotiations, or the buyback will net them a more attractive amount relative to their size and they don't understand the effects that will have on other talents in their company. Once a talent is able to buy their model when they leave, that unspoken threat of "you start over if you leave" no longer hangs over all your other talents' heads. For these big companies like Cover, it is very unlikely you'll ever see this happen because whatever the talent is willing to buy it back for is never going to be enough. A talent could say, "I'll buy it for 10-20k" and that might be fine for some small corp because 10-20k is very valuable to them. For Cover, that shit ain't happening because that amount is minor to a company their size and the value of saying "you start over if you leave" in contract negotiations is so incredibly massive to a company with such colossally popular talents. Any decently competent corp will fight hard to get the rights to the model/identity. It isn't some "black company" behavior, it's just basic business.
I wouldn't be surprised after that initial 1 yr is up for a Cover talent, the merch consideration is substantial in the negotiations, as it is tied to the model/identity. If a talent gets to walk away with their model, Cover losses those merch sales and the talent is also incentived to leave and sell their merch by themselves. By retaining the model/identity, Cover likely keeps that in mind during negotiations to be more lenient with talent requirements during contracts negotiations. The whole "we expect you to stream x amount of times a week/month" likely goes out the window. Once you make it big enough, Cover likely doesn't give a fuck and probably says, "just do Holofes, birthday streams, and maybe 2-3 other events throughout the year so we can keep rotating in new merch to sell". It will always be worse to have a talent leave with their model/merchandising than to let them fuck off for 95% of the year while you bank on their merch.

In all seriousness... Coco didn't change. Flesh streaming aside, Coco's content remained exactly the same as before. Both as an indie and in Talent Freedom Agency.

"Legendary" is right, because the Coco people picture in their heads never existed. They can get the genuine Coco experience right now. Just watch kson.

Turns out that the genuine Coco experience isn't all that unique once you throw in a couple thousand English speaking vtubers with big tits and unafraid of referencing butt plugs.
You're right that Coco didn't change, the problem is the nature of the Coco experience did change though. It's like you said, the Coco shenanigans aren't that unique or interesting when you're fucking around in Vshojo with a bunch of other whores. Meanwhile when she's in "serious Japanese company with expectations of decency", her antics are far more exciting as all the other members are forced to become the "straight man" to her antics. It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia has a main cast where everyone is different flavors of crazy but it works because there's random folks that act as the straight man to their antics or sometimes half the cast is doing some stupid shit while the other half is suddenly the reasonable ones. It's like that recent "Teaching Pippa fashion" stream where somehow Lia is the voice of reason/straight man to Pippa's schizoposting. You can have multiple flavors of crazy that can bounce off each other but there's only one flavor of whore behavior.

AmpleChip

Money rules the world. The worst stream yabs can and have been forgiven, but sleezing Don Fishzhang of his cut will get you the cement shoes. I can't see this termination being anything but money related.

Goon

Flat chest connoisseur
My gaslighting cat is gone whos gonna brainwash me with you love me now!!!!

Last edited:

CalliopeMori BiggerestFan

New Year, New Autism!
Early Adopter
What annoys me most about the Yuri situation is knowing that fat whore Hylo is laughing it up right now.

DelusionTree

Early Adopter
I'm going to miss this cat and her mindbreaking streams.
View attachment 21832

1682296936698704.png

God's Strongest Dragoon

Kourai

Not pictured: the will to live
Early Adopter
Archivist
I think this is the main and only argument for the rrat that she was terminated because of breaking the contract with Phase Connect. However, as a great bald rrat myself I shall oppose the "donos straight to my pocket" narrative vehemently, simply because it seems to have originated on r*ddit.
The donation rrat is attractive because people like explanations, and it fits all available data:
- Breaches occurred multiple times in secret and recently came to light (so not something like a negotiation breakdown over IP)
- A situation that theoretically could be "remedied", but in a way that Yuri may find unfavourable (e.g. pay back X amount and stop doing it)
- Something that Yuri and Phase Connect would feel strongly enough about to have negotiations break down
- The remaining talents seem emotionally down, but accepting

Of course, there is currently no proof, and even narratives that fit all available data can be completely wrong.

Goon

Flat chest connoisseur
You guys think yuri will pop up again or is this it?

Last edited:

God's Strongest Dragoon

So is this why her April Fool's stream is the only one up on her twitch channel?

>she mentions she's graduating
>says she's leaving after the end of this month (April)
>says Sakana doesn't want to work with her anymore
>"what did I do? ummmmm....I wasn't cute and funny enough."
>stops talking about it like it's a deadpan joke and now tries to discuss it like it's a hypothetical

Last edited:

TwoBit

Early Adopter
I really don't know what to think about all this. I didn't watch Yuri a whole lot but this is still sad. The times I did catch her stream, she was very funny. One of you posted that short she put out of her eating the burger next to Nikocado while he was having a melt down and I remember that absolutely killing me when I first watched it. More recently, there was that sons of the forest collab with her, Pippa, Lumi and Kirsche which was hilarious. They all played off each other so well and had amazing chemistry. I was hoping they would do a part 2. Guess that isn't going to happen now.

As far as speculations go as to why this happen, I have none. Reading the rrats is entertaining enough. I doubt we'll get any real reason aside from corporate speak for all this. It is unfortunate and I hope Yuri gets through all this and finds success with whatever she does next. Do we even know of any roommate or past life info for her? I'd like to give those accounts a follow just to see where she lands once the dust settles.

Nabeshin

That's kind of expected with all corps and I don't really get why people haven't figured it out yet. The model/identity has intrinsic value tied to it even after the talent retires. The corps will obviously want to own it because it disincentives talents from breaking away if that means you'll have to start over from scratch. Sure, there's been instances of vtubers "restarting" but they've typically only gained equal or more subs when moving to a bigger company (Rosemi) or they absolutely shilled the fuck out of their PL for months on end to help their fans transition to that new account (Kson).

I totally agree, that's why I get mad at retards that go to all indie vtuber and says to them to join company X. Like they do with kirsche, did wih Lisa and Ami when Tsunderia died and more. Joining a corpo can make their life way worse

God's Strongest Dragoon

I totally agree, that's why I get mad at retards that go to all indie vtuber and says to them to join company X. Like they do with kirsche, did wih Lisa and Ami when Tsunderia died and more. Joining a corpo can make their life way worse
Yeah, it's why I don't see the reasoning for joining a corp if you're successful as a 3/4 indie streamer. You might get a huge bump in your view/sub count but it'll be offset by the amount of restrictions and the cut the corp takes. Only real reason to do that is if you have dreams of the idol bullshit at like Hololive or desperately want to be part of "that group", like how La+ is a huge Towa fan or Kaela is a Kronii fan.

RestlessRain

Early Adopter
Corpos in general, and each individual corpo, have their upsides and downsides. Obviously your success is hard to transfer after you leave a corpo, and you do have to split revenue, but you get a higher viewer base, wrangling if you need it, (this is good and bad) access to managers and other talents complimentary to you, merchandise revenue, opportunities to do original songs and covers and performances and so forth. There's no right or wrong answer to whether people should be in a corpo or not, otherwise people would have long left their corpos after their contracts ran out.

niggaphil

Based on my obsevation of Tenma, the easily rage-inducing romanian old hag would fight with management (which almost get her fired, based on her previous new year new hope stream) or antis if her co-worker is being bullied.

Surprisingly, she only posted one reaction picture, and continue with her daily shitpost behaviour, I am convinced that Yuri may did some serious yab even Tenma couldn't defend her.

Nabeshin

but you get a higher viewer base
Disagree with this because there's outliers in corpos that are from big companies don't get 4 digits and there's indies who gets 5 digits. I believe that corpo helps on that when you're starting but if you already broke the 100 average views, it wouldn't change if you joined on not.

opportunities to do original songs and covers and performances and so forth
Disagree with this for the same reason, a good example of this is Miori Celesta, she's an indie and has done collabs and covers with people from Hololive.

I personally only agree with the manager and merch side, that it helps,

DrStupid

Resident Undertaker
Early Adopter
Sad to see yuri go, but not that sad. I'm doing a bit of dumpster diving on /pcg/, and found this.

230424000031.png

There are plenty of rrats being thrown around, like her being the femanon that leaked Lia's RM pics, or Tax problems. Most of them boil down to money issues tho.

Last edited:
Top Bottom