"Are you gonna fap to my voice?"Fujikura Uruka

Vidya Games Thread

The Rrat

Phoneposting, Rat-loving menace
Early Adopter
Do people seriously like the new pokeman game? It looks fucking awful and worse than sword and shield, but i haven't seen much hate for it so i guess people like this bland piece of shit.
Apparently, despite running like dogshit, it has a lot of nice QOL changes. But idk, I haven't tried it.

That Chuuba Enjoyer

DM me if you have a Ed, Edd n Eddy clip
Early Adopter
It still bums me out how powerful Pokémon popularity and Nintendo loyalty is, that we'll probably never see a Pokémon game with decent 3d graphic, performance, and just feel of a AAA game should have. However, AAA gaming these days has kind of lost that big charm of how empty they feel in some regard. Especially how open world games just be filled with fetch quests and generic npc questlines.

Last edited:

AyoTempus

DoctorGladiatorAssassinHeroLobsterTempuraEater
Early Adopter
Do people seriously like the new pokeman game? It looks fucking awful and worse than sword and shield, but i haven't seen much hate for it so i guess people like this bland piece of shit.
It is an improvement compared to what Pokemon has become since the 3DS era from what I've observed from both typical Pokemon fans and those at the homeland who tend to be more critical of the series, but that honestly doesn't say much due to how stagnated Pokemon is. It is kind of like Sonic where a true 6-7/10 maybe above average game (barring technical shit) for its series might as well be 10/10 for how starved the series is for something interesting, Legends Arceus had the same kind of reception, only Pokemon fans are far greater in number and even more delusional then Sonic fans on average.

It still bums me out how powerful Pokémon popularity and Nintendo loyalty is, that we'll probably never see a Pokémon game with decent 3d graphic, performance, and just feel of a AAA game should have. However, AAA gaming these days has kind of lost that big charm of how empty they feel in some regard these days. Especially how open world games just be filled with fetch quests and generic npc questlines.
Pokemon to gaming is what Disney is to pretty much every other visual media. Only Disney once in awhile can make something actually at least reasonably good within its studios, while Pokemon can't without giving their license to a game developer who isn't completely incompetent.

Pokemon will never get shit because Gamefreak have been overworked, and probably depressed, mobile console developers for the last 20 or so years due to the extreme power of the Pokemon merchandising brand forcing the series to dump copious amounts of games and generations with rapid fire pacing since gen 2 showed that lightning can strike twice. You pretty much need to pray to spin offs to give Pokemon anything worthwhile. The last great Pokemon that captured the potential the series has beyond being a child's backpacking adventure was stuff like Mystery Dungeon or Colosseum. Pokemon became what Disney's massive property umbrella did in record time pretty much. It took Disney decades of time and change in upper management to become what Pokemon did after about a decade or so at best.

Even in the ye old days the Pokemon manga was doing far more with the concept and world then the games ever did. I genuinely have more hope that Sanic Team will make a great game for Sonic before Gamefreak can make a great Pokemon game without some kind of massive help from someone who isn't inept.

Nenélove

Menace of the Asylum
Early Adopter
Nene's Pet Latinx
Latinx/Latine
I wish they made a pokemon game with good fucking story, instead of some ridiculous bullshit lore bait, the only Pokémon game with a good story was the explorers ones, and those were fucking stupid little dungeon crawler spinoffs for God's sake!

Godzilla1984

Early Adopter
Here's my list of current free open source games that can be played on Windows/Android.
Any Steam links are to the paid versions, but free local standalone versions are available for all of these games.
Most are listed in the Google Play Store, but a few APKs are buried in their respective websites/wikis.

empyrean_1.jpg
Flare is an open source, 2D action RPG licensed under the GPL3 license. Its game play can be likened to the games in the Diablo series.

Fciv-net-2022.png
Freeciv is a Free and Open Source empire-building strategy game inspired by the history of human civilization.

1.d25af17a.png
Mindustry: A sandbox tower-defense game.

8.jpg
Minetest is a free software game engine to create various games based on voxel gameplay, inspired by InfiniMiner, Minecraft, and the like.

in_the_beginning.png
Pixel Dungeon is a traditional roguelike game with pixel-art graphics and simple interface for Android, iOS, Windows, Mac and Linux.

levelgen.gif

Shattered Pixel Dungeon is a traditional roguelike dungeon crawler that’s simple to start but hard to master! Every game is a unique challenge, with four different heroes, randomized levels and enemies, and hundreds of items to collect and use.

wesnoth-1.11.11-1.jpg
The Battle for Wesnoth is an open source, turn-based strategy game with a high fantasy theme. It features both singleplayer and online/hotseat multiplayer combat.

r9XER9.jpg
Unciv: An open-source reimplementation of the most famous civilization-building game ever - fast, small, no ads, free forever!

Saturnus

haha it's unou
As someone who bought it around launch week to play a bit with friends and is only at the third gym currently (In part due to real life in another part due to playing other games). It isn't great in most aspects but it is more serviceable than Sword/Shield in some aspects. The game feels like one good 1 step forward and like 5 steps back. I really miss the customization Trainers had in Sword/Shield and the anime artstyle those games had over whatever the fuck SV is doing, though.
The lack of hate probably stems from most of the people who (autistically) got mad at GameFreak during Sword/Shield was due to them starting to cut Pokemon from certain games. These people have probably either just fallen in line and consoomed the product (because you actually cannot vote with your wallet against the masses of Pokemon consumers) or have now fucked off to greener & better monster collecting pastures.
Especially how open world games just be filled with fetch quests and generic npc questlines.
To be fair most "Open World" games are pretty much like that. Pokemon really came to the idea a bit too late and it just feels sort of half baked. Like the most "open world" I have felt in SV was the fact I could go to the first gym or the 2nd gym (wow) after that it feels like you're still lead down a hallway like every game since at least XY. I assume they did this to rope in game journos and casuals that this REALLY IS THE OPEN WORLD POKEMON GAME before they get bored after getting bodied by Iono's Mismagius and watched a LP of the full game.

The Proctor

Manager Arc Unlocked?
Staff member
Lovebug Proctologist
I have started writing spreadsheets for Factorio.

Please, please send help.

AyoTempus

Early Adopter

That's just Factorio gameplay isn't it? I'm not seeing the problem.

Please say yes to validate how many spreadsheets I've made for DnD

That Chuuba Enjoyer

Early Adopter

Why do you need to write spreadsheets for Factorio? Hopefully it's not that bad that you're doing excel work like a literal job on your free time lmao

The Proctor

Manager Arc Unlocked?
Staff member
Lovebug Proctologist
Why do you need to write spreadsheets for Factorio? Hopefully it's not that bad that you're doing excel work like a literal job on your free time lmao

Do you have ANY IDEA how mentally traumatizing it has become for me to walk through a factory and see a non-saturated belt line? Do you even comprehend what it's like to know that there exists a perfect ratio of inputs to outputs that can only be achieved via an odd number of inputs to an even number of outputs? You just don't get it, man. You don't get it. Only real Factorio players get it.

Nenélove

Menace of the Asylum
Early Adopter
Nene's Pet Latinx
Latinx/Latine
Factorio essentially weaponizes the efficiency autism that consumes a lot of people when playing vidya, the game is all about maximizing outputs and running the math so it isn't that weird.

I'd usually scoff at this sort of shit because I'm a firm believer that trying to play "by the meta" or the most efficient way possible sucks the fun out of everything but here it's the sole point of the whole thing so it's okay. I do wonder if scientists or doctors could create games based on unsolved problems and just let gamer autism solve them.

That Guy Over There

It's time to Moom
Do you have ANY IDEA how mentally traumatizing it has become for me to walk through a factory and see a non-saturated belt line? Do you even comprehend what it's like to know that there exists a perfect ratio of inputs to outputs that can only be achieved via an odd number of inputs to an even number of outputs? You just don't get it, man. You don't get it. Only real Factorio players get it.
Sir, this is a KFP.

But here's some interesting news on Factorio, they're raising the price to $35, for a game that they have said will never go on sale.

The Proctor

Manager Arc Unlocked?
Staff member
Lovebug Proctologist
But here's some interesting news on Factorio, they're raising the price to $35, for a game that they have said will never go on sale.

Game made by terminal math addicts. Checks out.

That Chuuba Enjoyer

Early Adopter
fetchimage (15).jpeg
I really felt like the chick in this meme with that response lmao.

Factorio essentially weaponizes the efficiency autism that consumes a lot of people when playing vidya, the game is all about maximizing outputs and running the math so it isn't that weird.

I'd usually scoff at this sort of shit because I'm a firm believer that trying to play "by the meta" or the most efficient way possible sucks the fun out of everything but here it's the sole point of the whole thing so it's okay. I do wonder if scientists or doctors could create games based on unsolved problems and just let gamer autism solve them.
It kind of sounds like the shit some Asian peeps I know do with mmos like ffxiv lmao
I'm kind of interested in it for the combat aspect of building a base/factory for war. Is it like that or satisfactory where it's all about building?

Sir, this is a KFP.

Shit might need to get it now before the increase.

Nenélove

Menace of the Asylum
Early Adopter
Nene's Pet Latinx
Latinx/Latine
It kind of sounds like the shit some Asian peeps I know do with mmos like ffxiv lmao
It's more of like the people who get 10 trillion gold that they can't use for anything in stardew valley by optimizing planting/harvesting and space to the optimum level because it scratches some primal nerd instinct, RPG fags are pretty similar yeah, the kind of people who will throw a fit every time a new character, area or item is added because it "RUINS THE META" and the game is LITERALLY FUCKING DYING because the devs refuse to achieve absolute balance where everything is equally viable, which might just equate to having one character and one item set anyway.

Congrats, you turned games into literal economics! Where anyone and everyone is in a mad rat race to fuck everyone else over by employing the best tactic possible at all times!

AyoTempus

Early Adopter
the kind of people who will throw a fit every time a new character, area or item is added because it "RUINS THE META" and the game is LITERALLY FUCKING DYING because the devs refuse to achieve absolute balance where everything is equally viable, which might just equate to having one character and one item set anyway.

Congrats, you turned games into literal economics! Where anyone and everyone is in a mad rat race to fuck everyone else over by employing the best tactic possible at all times!
Multiplayers games will always have this because of the competitive nature of the game if it is a pvp game, or because in the case of MMOs or some kind of cooperative grind/challenge people want to achieve whatever they're trying to do faster either for actual time reasons, patience reasons, or so they do whatever they want to do and bounce to the next game or activity they want to do. The internet has made finding "meta" (or close enough to) so easy that literally any lazy google warrior can find the best of anything within minutes. Depending on the type of game, then yeah if a bunch of people can easily employ the best tactic and you don't, then you're going to have a rougher time by default in some way.

Unless you can somehow obliterate this kind of issue, the whole talk of balance and meta will always happen unless you're just playing a single player game. Even then badly balanced single player games also tend to suck in different ways because they usually have some cheesy exploit or broken strategy that makes the game far to easy that you can just stumble into by accident, or the game is balanced around it so if you do anything else then the game is more frustrating.

The Proctor

Manager Arc Unlocked?
Staff member
Lovebug Proctologist
I'm kind of interested in it for the combat aspect of building a base/factory for war. Is it like that or satisfactory where it's all about building?

This is a modded playthrough but it's a very good insight into how combat focused the game can be. (Also quickly becoming my favorite Youtuber.)

That Chuuba Enjoyer

Early Adopter

This is a modded playthrough but it's a very good insight into how combat focused the game can be. (Also quickly becoming my favorite Youtuber.)

I hate you Mr. Proctor. You made me dwell into autism with a vtuber centric site and now making me fall further into the spectrum with Factorio...when will your reign of terror stop?
zchf42f7a4x61_1.png

Last edited:

paul

Early Adopter
I watched a little Persona 3 Portable gameplay from Calli and it confirmed me not to buy this shitty port of an inferior version.
So I researched a bit what is currently the best way to play FES. After trying out a few things: here are my recommendation for everyone who is interested in playing it.
I know there are rumors about a true remake of P3 but it doesn't excuse Atlus for releasing this lazy port.

agility_

We have some serious streams to discuss 🔨
Early Adopter
It only hurts because I still think Persona 3 is the better game out of all the high-school student jrpgs saturating us right now. Not a big loss since I have both PS2 versions and a backup on a hard drive. I wasn't expecting anything from atlus after the low-quality music in Nocturne.

Top Bottom