"What's a Nakadashi? Oh, it's a cream pie? Like the food?"Pipkin Pippa

Vidya Games Thread

MrProcessor

Soldier of Godrick
I know Night Dive is working on Shock 2 : Enhanced Edition, but with how fucking good the Shock 1 remake is, I really hope they just let them make an all-out remake of 2, that smooths out some of the balance, gives a reason for some of the skills to exist, removes the fucking platforming, and changes the story slightly so the "foreshadowing" doesn't spoil the twist that SHODAN is alive in the first hour of the game.
I started replaying System Shock 2 partly as an experiment to see how well I could get old Windows games to run under Batocera Linux (it runs perfectly for me, by the way). It actually holds up really well.

God's Strongest Dragoon

The amazing thing is that Arkane Lyon (Dishonored 2, Dishonored: Death of the Outsider, Wolfenstein: Youngblood, Deathloop) and Arkane Austin (Prey, Redfall) are both currently in the dumpster. Their leadership left just a few years ago and that's why everything was going to shit.
It sounds like the Redfall disaster happened in part because Microsoft were trying to not be an overbearing owner who crushes their newly-purchased studios, and figured that Arkane knew what they were doing, when in truth a lot of Arkane staff were hoping that MS would cancel the project.
The understanding I got was that Zenimax pushed Arkane to make a MP GaaS game as Zenimax were actively looking to get bought at the time and they made Arkane make that game to make them look more attractive to potential buyers. Once they got bought, a lot of the staff at Arkane were hoping Microsoft would realize it was a DOA project that was being made to just excite investors and that Microsoft shut that project down. However some of the people in charge of Redfall were giving false promises that they'd pull out some miracle in the final stretch (which is exactly what Bioware was telling EA when they were making Anthem and we know how that ended up).
I'm actually still a bit annoyed about the entire commentary cycle around when Phil was talking about the Redfall failure. A VP and head of an entire section at a Trillion Dollar company was being incredibly transparent and answered some hard questions. You don't get that basically ever, in any industry. And the noodle brains couldn't process what he was telling them, for the most part. Phil specifically said what anyone that understands Ecosystems knows: the Xbox One disaster announcement meant they were never winning another console sale generation. Period. Which is why Xbox, under Phil, switched completely to an Ecosystem focus. Game Pass is an absolutely insane deal and that's exactly what they plan to do. Somehow, Google couldn't figure out what Microsoft could figure out. Which is pretty hilarious.

Phil also all but confirmed there was going to be a big internal review of their entire process. Clearly, way too much had broken down and decisions weren't being made early enough. Granted, Bethseda has been a mess with that for a while
Yeah, hearing a VP just come out and dunk on his own product not even a month after it's released is absolutely wild and I'm surprised it isn't the talk of the town. I think a major issue Microsoft has started to figure out is that while they want to be cool guys that buy studios and then let them have the freedom to make great games without any oversight, those studios aren't in a good situation before they set them loose. They want these studios basically running themselves and pumping out bangers but those studios are already fucked to begin with. It sounds like they were trying really hard to avoid doing it but they're going to end up needing to do the official "judgment from God" process where the big scary parent company goes through and evaluates everyone and everything at these studios. Once they do that, then they can go just let their studios run wild again. It's been far too often that the game studios under Xbox are run by literal retards that should have been pushed out but those retards are all somehow great at office politics so they're still around.
Now, how long is Todd going to ramble about Starfield? The Todd has been suppressed too long.
Considering they're claiming a "Starfield Direct" after everything else in Xbox Showcase, it makes me think we're going to get a lot of time with Todd. The man sold "Elder Scrolls with guns", surely he can sell "Fallout in space".

PleaseCheckYourReceipts

The amazing thing is that Arkane Lyon (Dishonored 2, Dishonored: Death of the Outsider, Wolfenstein: Youngblood, Deathloop) and Arkane Austin (Prey, Redfall) are both currently in the dumpster. Their leadership left just a few years ago and that's why everything was going to shit.

The understanding I got was that Zenimax pushed Arkane to make a MP GaaS game as Zenimax were actively looking to get bought at the time and they made Arkane make that game to make them look more attractive to potential buyers. Once they got bought, a lot of the staff at Arkane were hoping Microsoft would realize it was a DOA project that was being made to just excite investors and that Microsoft shut that project down. However some of the people in charge of Redfall were giving false promises that they'd pull out some miracle in the final stretch (which is exactly what Bioware was telling EA when they were making Anthem and we know how that ended up).

Yeah, hearing a VP just come out and dunk on his own product not even a month after it's released is absolutely wild and I'm surprised it isn't the talk of the town. I think a major issue Microsoft has started to figure out is that while they want to be cool guys that buy studios and then let them have the freedom to make great games without any oversight, those studios aren't in a good situation before they set them loose. They want these studios basically running themselves and pumping out bangers but those studios are already fucked to begin with. It sounds like they were trying really hard to avoid doing it but they're going to end up needing to do the official "judgment from God" process where the big scary parent company goes through and evaluates everyone and everything at these studios. Once they do that, then they can go just let their studios run wild again. It's been far too often that the game studios under Xbox are run by literal retards that should have been pushed out but those retards are all somehow great at office politics so they're still around.

Considering they're claiming a "Starfield Direct" after everything else in Xbox Showcase, it makes me think we're going to get a lot of time with Todd. The man sold "Elder Scrolls with guns", surely he can sell "Fallout in space".
The Todd is going to be unleashed on all of us. But the important question: will it while 16x the detail while seemingly looking like it should work on the PS3?

As for Xbox Game Studio systems, it's actually been pretty commendable how "hands off" Redmond has stayed with the studios. You never get the stories out about how upper management screwed over a project like you do with even Activision. But you do get the stories about disaster fires in the actual studio management. The Redfall cycle has literally been "they should have come in, taken one look and cancelled it". Which is sort of story you never expect after an acquisition.

That said, yeah, Phil is going to need to restructure a lot. Beyond just their internal review-testing system, they clearly need some guys like Mark Cerny. Normally, I'd just say "pay the money and hire him", but Mark, beyond just being an advisor on game development, happens to be the primary designer of the Playstation hardware. That's not happening. That said, much of the "Playstation Game" feel is the direct result of Cerny. The man knows what does & doesn't work in game development.

Still, Xbox also isn't quite as interested in 100+ million dollar budget games in the way Sony is. Which I don't blame them. Though Phil is probably still annoyed he didn't buy Roblox when he had a shot at it.

That Chuuba Enjoyer

DM me if you have a Ed, Edd n Eddy clip
Early Adopter
I honestly am not that excited for starfield. I like space games, but I feel it looks like it will be unoriginal. Gives me no man sky, space engineer, and other space rpg like games vibes out there right now.

I'm honestly excited more for a new elder scrolls or fallout. Hell, I wanna eee inxile and Bethesda work on a Wasteland game together.

I need to look into the story about redfall, cause I thought Arkane made good games usually. Didn't know they did deathloop.

PleaseCheckYourReceipts

I honestly am not that excited for starfield. I like space games, but I feel it looks like it will be unoriginal. Gives me no man sky, space engineer, and other space rpg like games vibes out there right now.

I'm honestly excited more for a new elder scrolls or fallout. Hell, I wanna eee inxile and Bethesda work on a Wasteland game together.

I need to look into the story about redfall, cause I thought Arkane made good games usually. Didn't know they did deathloop.
Arkane has 2 studios. One in Texas and one in France. Zenimax bought Arkane a while ago. After Prey (2017), they wanted Live Service game. So, of course, they tasked an immersive Sim studio to do it. It went as well as you'd expect.

Alchemyth

I don't understand how people can still tolerate Bethesda's garbage, they've been dumbing down their games since Morrowind and basically ruined the Fallout franchise with their terrible writing. Not to mention the Fallout 76 debacle.

Starfield will end up being a Skyrim with guns, planets will be handfull of hubs with 20 people on them, filled to the brim with radiant quests that'll send you to the same dungeon that's been used 50 times already while Reddit shits itself over 'enviromental storytelling' because some random dev got bored copy-pasting the same space-draugr all over and decided to put a skeleton in some random pose to maintain his sanity while Pete Hines reminds his writers they don't need good dialogue or fleshed out characters, because who has the attention span for that.

Not that I care or anything, i'm long over it by now. :takocope:

Punished Anime Discusser

Early Adopter
I don't understand how people can still tolerate Bethesda's garbage, they've been dumbing down their games since Morrowind and basically ruined the Fallout franchise with their terrible writing. Not to mention the Fallout 76 debacle.

Starfield will end up being a Skyrim with guns, planets will be handfull of hubs with 20 people on them, filled to the brim with radiant quests that'll send you to the same dungeon that's been used 50 times already while Reddit shits itself over 'enviromental storytelling' because some random dev got bored copy-pasting the same space-draugr all over and decided to put a skeleton in some random pose to maintain his sanity while Pete Hines reminds his writers they don't need good dialogue or fleshed out characters, because who has the attention span for that.

Not that I care or anything, i'm long over it by now. :takocope:
lore.png

That Chuuba Enjoyer

Early Adopter
I loved Oblivion. Buggy and has it's flaws, but one of few games that gave me fantasy feelings with it's atmosphere and artstyle. Such a charming game too with it's weird quirks. Skyrim was alright, but I didn't really care for the muddier color tone and Nordic stuff as much.

I remember playing morrowind on xbox as a kid and falling for that levitation spell you find on the dead wizard at start of game. Would intake skooma again.

That Chuuba Enjoyer

Early Adopter
Anyone play diablo 4 yet? How you like it?

Punished Anime Discusser

Early Adopter

Summer Game Fest hosted by Kojima's favorite gaijin in 25.

>new prince of persia game
>horribly ugly sidescroller with nu-age low poly models that look like they're from Call Of Dragons
>prince is no longer a suave middle-eastern man, he's some nappy haired chimp
OF COURSE OPEN WITH THAT WHY DON'T YOU

Ed Boon spending 4 years and millions of dollars to make the worst animations you've ever seen in a fighting game, Episode 3.
>finally bring back Stryker after 12 years
>assist-only character
Throw Ed Boon down a flight of stairs.

Nic Cage on the stage.

Last edited:

That Chuuba Enjoyer

Early Adopter
That John Carpenter game looks bad.

Just let my man direct a dead space movie before he dies :annoyedpippa:

PleaseCheckYourReceipts

That John Carpenter game looks bad.

Just let my man direct a dead space movie before he dies :annoyedpippa:
That brings up a good point. Dead Space is one of the top 5 Game > Movie concepts that would work. Have to keep the budget low, but that really would work.

That Chuuba Enjoyer

Early Adopter
HAHAHA did they show the trailer to the wrong game just now? he said black desert online. Not Palworld

oh my god, that Final fantasy door dash moment was funny. dorito pope shot down people's hope

Last edited:

reinigen

Dang it
Ward Security
Can't wait for the new Spiderman game. Both of the Insomniac Spider games have been great and told excellent stories so far. Though here's hoping this "Venom isn't Eddie Brock" doesn't end up like "The Gotham Knights isn't Jason Todd guis, don't worry."

That Chuuba Enjoyer

Early Adopter
JOYRUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU-SAAAAAAAAANNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN

I'm hype for the yakuza 7 prequel game. Hope we get to see more with 8 though later this year.

EDIT: place your 9/11 memes here. God that porche xbox looks like trash

wwadasdasdsad.png
how progressive.

Last edited:

Punished Anime Discusser

Early Adopter

God's Strongest Dragoon

Ed Boon spending 4 years and millions of dollars to make the worst animations you've ever seen in a fighting game, Episode 3.
>finally bring back Stryker after 12 years
>assist-only character
Throw Ed Boon down a flight of stairs.
Yeah, the transition from character select to gameplay was pretty much the only cool thing. Kameo is just a forced tag-team mechanic and they revealed very little in ACTUAL fighters. I've had enough of the bushy eyebrow cunt.
Can't wait for the new Spiderman game. Both of the Insomniac Spider games have been great and told excellent stories so far. Though here's hoping this "Venom isn't Eddie Brock" doesn't end up like "The Gotham Knights isn't Jason Todd guis, don't worry."
Yeah, the only options I'm seeing so far if they do the "No Eddie Brock Venom" is either a Harry Osborn Venom or Kraven gets the symbiote. Even though Miles Morales was a glorified expansion turned into a full game and was short, it was still a good game and made it clear that Spider-Man 1 wasn't a fluke. I wonder how people will react when they go from having the dope Venom powers to not having them anymore after progressing through the story.

I'm interested to see how Lies of P turns out. Pretty much Bloodborne but France instead of England and Puppets instead of Blood Plague.

Paradox is currently refunding preorders for Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines 2. Apparently Hardsuit Labs was the dev that Paradox chose for it but they fired them like a year ago and moved development to an unknown developer. Supposedly the product is still in development but they don't expect it coming out for a long time, hence the refunding of preorders.

reinigen

Dang it
Ward Security
I'm interested to see how Lies of P turns out. Pretty much Bloodborne but France instead of England and Puppets instead of Blood Plague.
A person I trust on Twitter said it's pretty legit good. Might need to snag the demo.

Punished Anime Discusser

Early Adopter
A person I trust on Twitter said it's pretty legit good. Might need to snag the demo.

The fucking demo is either 23 or 32 gigs, I don't remember, but it's still absurd.

That Chuuba Enjoyer

Early Adopter
Paradox is currently refunding preorders for Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines 2. Apparently Hardsuit Labs was the dev that Paradox chose for it but they fired them like a year ago and moved development to an unknown developer. Supposedly the product is still in development but they don't expect it coming out for a long time, hence the refunding of preorders.
What's weird about it though, is they gave a few screenshots in their recent blog post with their announcement of cancelling pre-orders. They also stated too there will be more news in September. Such a development hell cycle for a game.

I know if it does come out it's not going to be an amazing game, but I do hope it'll be alright similar to Dead Island 2 That game had development hell but finally came out and was honestly a pretty alright game with everything stacked against it. Honestly one game in recent time that gore effects have disturbed me. haven't played any game in a while with good gore physics like dead island 2.

Last edited:
Top Bottom