"I have, like, a pipebomb in my chest. It's about to explode! That's my heart by the way. My heart is the pipebomb and it's about to explode with, like, love and care"Chikafuji Lisa
  • ~1 Week Remains: Local fans of a certain pink lagomorph mold golem are attempting to finalize an anniversary project for her. Last call for contributers & artists, etc. No yabbits allowed.
  • !!!!READ THIS NOW!!!!

What is hopefully the final server backup has been implemented. I am now starting the closure process of this forum. Main boards will now be locked. The Proctor's Office will remain up solely for technical feedback. Go to the new site in order to post. Barring catastrophic problems, this cloud-based version will close on the 9th of July.
  • IMPORTANT: Users from Russia may need a VPN to access the new server. I need more data to diagnose this problem. Contact me here or on Discord if you have been blocked, so I can tell you what you need to do.

Vidya Games Thread

Superduper Samurai

Early Adopter
DD2 is the most mid game I've played in years but in a passive, inoffensive sort of way. You could dump 100 hours into the game and by the end you won't have found it a waste of time, and then promptly forget about it when the next interesting thing comes around (which I did). Combined with the hype train behind it as the long awaited successor to a cult classic game it captured the same sort of audience who played vanilla Skyrim on console back in the day who unironically thought it was great.
I wouldn't ever recommend it over playing DD1: Dark Arisen, but the majority of people who played 2 don't have the context to understand how much better it should have been. It sold very well for Capcom so it'll probably show up on a bunch of normie lists like this.
Yeah, i enjoyed my time with it but unlike DDDA or even Vanilla DD there is little to no autism to focus on getting better nor any really fun setpieces to fuck around with, i can only hope that the DLC or surprisingly deep modding scene can alleviate some of the gripes with it

Nenélove

N is for Nenecup
Early Adopter
Nene's Pet Latinx
Latinx/Latine
The funny thing is that a lot of indie dev studios are making the same mistakes. It's like nearly every fucking small indie dev studio decides "ok, so do we do metroidvania, roguelite or both?". They've completely flooded that genre to the point that unless the name is actually Metroid, I don't think I'm going to touch it.

So it's often just a random autist or a random group of autists that got together and made their own game that ends up rocking, just like the good old days in the 90s. Multiple games on that top 10 list are all from solo autists (Manor Lords, Buckshot Roulette, and Balatro) or just two guys in the case of Supermarket Simulator. Nature is healing.
People see the word "indie" and think it's instantly gonna be a minecraft, the truth about indie productions, be it in gaming, music, movies or vtubing, is that it is generally a mixed bag, because indie projects are usually done by one or a few individuals, it is obvious that projects made by random people will be... random. Some of them will surpass what the industry can make (specially industries which have grown complacent) but most will be either meh or absolute garbage, people always focus on the ones which are amazing, not the 20 billion made each year which are shit and nobody remembers. It's obvious that if you take thousands of people and have all of them make games, at some point you're gonna get someone who is actually talented and creative to get the funding they need and make a masterpiece, it's simple odds really.

MrProcessor

Soldier of Godrick

Daiya Fortuna playing Balatro. I can tell she has a good head for math.

VSoyBoy

I don't know why there is no discussion on the Xbox event here, because this is already infinitely better than Geoff's show.

Mint is going to flip when she wakes up and sees the Metal Gear gameplay.

Bronze

I don't know why there is no discussion on the Xbox event here, because this is already infinitely better than Geoff's show.

Mint is going to flip when she wakes up and sees the Metal Gear gameplay.
Nobody's talking during it so there's not much time to post for me. I'm interested in things I see mostly

Bronze

Double posting to put the games shown. Call of Duty is also getting it's additional showcase right now

VSoyBoy

Nobody's talking during it so there's not much time to post for me. I'm interested in things I see mostly
I like the way Xbox does these things. Trailers in the show, and if something needs talking about they either put it at the end like with CoD or Starfield last year, or the put it in their extended showcase thing. Always pisses me of about Geoff's shows. If I want to hear Blumhouse talk I will watch another video or read a blogpost so please leave it out the main show.
Double posting to put the games shown. Call of Duty is also getting it's additional showcase right now

Hard to find issues with that list. Good variety of interesting looking games, maybe a little AAA heavy. And it didn't take 2 HOURS GEOFF!

John Vtuber👁️

Sentient Eyeball, Primarch of Hag Pride Worldwide
Certified Manwhore
Megaton Musashi W: Wired is previewing their upcoming v3.1.0 update, adding new mecha and equipment in the top rarity tiers, new bosses to use said equipment on, collab mecha added to the PVP mode, and QOL updates - no release date just yet, but saying "it's coming" is infinitely better than saying nothing, because I am getting tired of Level-5 not marketing the game:

Archive

but at least they're trying with word-of-mouth advertisement by offering currency rewards to everyone depending on the amount of content shared in the next few weeks:

Archive

and here's the latest coupon code for the month, no expiration date that I am aware of:

Archive

the big brain play for them would be to sponsor Dizzy's streams of the game, as well as Clara Kaminari (who said in passing that she played it before), then they would actually have eyes on the game outside of super robot heads that are starving for content.

I hope that Level-5 will one day start marketing the game, because otherwise my long-form review will be a constant REEEE-ing against them, which is entertaining content nonetheless!

Ballpark_Look

So how is this supposed to be interpreted?

Bronze

So how is this supposed to be interpreted?

He's seething about the backlash he got from his article that was about Suicide Squad iirc in which he never mentioned Sweet Baby Inc. He also got in a twitter fight with someone over it and went on a blocking spree it seems

Planetary Bombardment

It's the only way to be sure.

Abomination

The abominable amalgamation known as "chyaaat!"
As we look at the video game industry's layoffs, burnout, abusive microtransactions, prioritization of short-term profits, risk aversion, rapidly increasing budgets, endless development cycles, and studio closures, it's important to highlight the real problem: not enough diversity.

Funny how this goes both way, huh Shreier? It's almost as if diversity means fuck all when it comes to making a game.
:mitothink:

MrProcessor

Soldier of Godrick
He's seething about the backlash he got from his article that was about Suicide Squad iirc in which he never mentioned Sweet Baby Inc. He also got in a twitter fight with someone over it and went on a blocking spree it seems
I remember when he went after George Kamitani because he didn't like the aesthetics of Dragon's Crown which are pretty much the opposite of modern Western videogame aesthetics, so he's always been in the back pockets of the Sweet Baby Inc types. Not really surprising he'd leave them out of his article on Suicide Squad.

thhrang

Punished Autism Extraordinaire
Early Adopter
Ward Security
♥Realticule's Husbando♥

Awoogers

basic ass man who loves the british funny woman

Shaken

I feel like Xbox usually have good showcases, the issue is that it so far has not materialized into a software lineup that's worth caring about. Most of the time games are either delayed or the release is a mess or the games are so far out they should've never bothered. I get the same feeling from this one. It's good in theory but a lot of games didn't have a release date (including some that are supposed to be this year), stuff like Perfect Dark and Gears of War: E-Day, didn't have a release year and a lot of games were for next year.

People are pretty high on the presentation but to me seemed a bit dire.

RestlessRain

Early Adopter

reinigen

Dang it
Ward Security
The big game that stole the show for me was absolutely Expedition 33.

This will be the first game from the studio, but the staff talking about their favorite games and inspirations gives me some hope.
1718082142460.png

The art directions and soundtrack of this were so out of control I was expecting another Soulslike game but with an actual story. So when it kicked into a turn-based JRPG with reactive combat ala Mario RPG, I lost my damn mind. I cannot wait to find out more about this game.

They also released an extended version of the trailer music, and it features Victor Borba, the vocalist of Vergil's theme from DMC5.

Last edited:

Kazuma

Early Adopter
Had a random thought. Imagine a Lovecraftian game done in the style of Asura's Wrath.

Banana Hammock

Born to Sneed
Early Adopter
Top Bottom