"I’m awake, hold them off for a bit. I need to gather up some chakra before I can enter sage mode"Noir Vesper
  • ~1 Week Remains: Local fans of a certain pink lagomorph mold golem are attempting to finalize an anniversary project for her. Last call for contributers & artists, etc. No yabbits allowed.
  • !!!!READ THIS NOW!!!!

What is hopefully the final server backup has been implemented. I am now starting the closure process of this forum. Main boards will now be locked. The Proctor's Office will remain up solely for technical feedback. Go to the new site in order to post. Barring catastrophic problems, this cloud-based version will close on the 9th of July.
  • IMPORTANT: Users from Russia may need a VPN to access the new server. I need more data to diagnose this problem. Contact me here or on Discord if you have been blocked, so I can tell you what you need to do.

Vidya Games Thread

Ensok

Early Adopter
I don't know what the fuck is going on with the chat for this event but whatever.

Zizara

No faith in Humanity
Dizzy's Wife
So many of these look like the next dead on arrival AAA chasing old trends, and I'm just here to catch the next update on Monhun Wilds. The update here is supposed to be more substantial than the trailer we just got a bit ago.

Also, nothing but trailers and cutscenes. No gameplay. No confidence in themselves even for games about to launch.

Edit: Oh nice, Dark and Darker has made it back onto Steam and other platforms, I had thought the Korean corpo dystopia had fucked that game forever.
Edit 2: Ok not much info on Wilds after all, but the skeletons used for those worm-like monsters the trailer was about look like they could 100% be re-used for Lagiacrus.

Last edited:

Saturnus

haha it's unou

God's Strongest Dragoon

VSoyBoy

Fuck Geoff for not saying no to that ad.

Svarog

Saviorfag
Early Adopter
Fuck Geoff for not saying no to that ad.
This is what the whole show was organized for. Trailers(and ad) cost $250000 for 1 minute, $350000 for 1.5 minutes, $450000 for 2 minutes and $550000 for 2.5 minutes.

Banana Hammock

Born to Sneed
Early Adopter

Oh, nice. Looks like they're actually planning to use that gacha money for real games. Of course, it'll probably take a while, but given that I've only recently gotten into the Atelier series, there's a ton of games for me to play.

RestlessRain

Early Adopter
1) Random Japanese studio making gajillion dollars using 6 million dollars to give GameFreak the finger
2) The one rare successful live service game that Sony has but they've shot it in the dick and the dev is fucking it up
3) Random AA German game studio making basebuilding survival RPG
4) One random autist with a half finished medieval sim
5) Fucking grocery store 9-5 made on a shoestring budget with asset flipping
6) The sequel to a sleeper hit that popped off out of nowhere but the talk about the sequel died incredibly fast
7) Capcom's sequel to a niche game that somehow popped off because people thought it was going to be the new Elden Ring
8) Autism card game
9) Deep Rock Galactic: Holocure Edition
10) The ugliest looking game with the most minimal gameplay

AAA game companies must be looking at this list and be having an aneurysm.
AAA gaming has gone to shit. Everything has been focus-tested to remove anything remotely controversial to create products that are safe, boring and bland, everything has to be DEI-approved and filled with evil white men, ugly women, gay kissing and pride flags. No wonder everyone has gone to indie gaming.

God's Strongest Dragoon

AAA gaming has gone to shit. Everything has been focus-tested to remove anything remotely controversial to create products that are safe, boring and bland, everything has to be DEI-approved and filled with evil white men, ugly women, gay kissing and pride flags. No wonder everyone has gone to indie gaming.
The funny thing is that a lot of indie dev studios are making the same mistakes. It's like nearly every fucking small indie dev studio decides "ok, so do we do metroidvania, roguelite or both?". They've completely flooded that genre to the point that unless the name is actually Metroid, I don't think I'm going to touch it.

So it's often just a random autist or a random group of autists that got together and made their own game that ends up rocking, just like the good old days in the 90s. Multiple games on that top 10 list are all from solo autists (Manor Lords, Buckshot Roulette, and Balatro) or just two guys in the case of Supermarket Simulator. Nature is healing.

Superduper Samurai

Early Adopter
Currently watching the Summer Games Fest that just started
steamtop10.png

FUCKING GROCERY STORE AUTISM MOGGING HARD

Im geniuenly surprised Dragon's Dogma 2 weasled its way into this list, its not a masterpiece or even that much of an improvement over the first game, still fun though, i hope the numbers are good enough for DLC or a more meatier 3rd game without taking 10 years to make

God's Strongest Dragoon

Im geniuenly surprised Dragon's Dogma 2 weasled its way into this list, its not a masterpiece or even that much of an improvement over the first game, still fun though, i hope the numbers are good enough for DLC or a more meatier 3rd game without taking 10 years to make
Yeah, that was a big surprise for me. However we're only counting up to May and there just hasn't been a lot of heavy hitters this year. It snuck its way to the #7 position just because of people hyping it up massively and it being FOMO for like 1-2 weeks. It will very likely fall off that top 10 list by the time Steam does their official 2024 top 10 sales list. I kinda figured that Ghost of Tsushima might weasel its way in but I'm convinced that whole PSN shitshow with Helldivers did damage to Ghost's sales on Steam.

Superduper Samurai

Early Adopter
Yeah, that was a big surprise for me. However we're only counting up to May and there just hasn't been a lot of heavy hitters this year. It snuck its way to the #7 position just because of people hyping it up massively and it being FOMO for like 1-2 weeks. It will very likely fall off that top 10 list by the time Steam does their official 2024 top 10 sales list. I kinda figured that Ghost of Tsushima might weasel its way in but I'm convinced that whole PSN shitshow with Helldivers did damage to Ghost's sales on Steam.
Oh yes i doubt it will come to it being a GOTY contender or even a footnote by the end of the year, but a part of me hopes its enough for the Double A/Indie clones of it to start popping off, or even enough attention for capcom so they throw more money at the IP

GOD'S STRONGEST BUILDERBEAR

"Shut up, Dazzle. I will clip your balls" -SB
Early Adopter

whoa look another stream game dropped

Sh4gg1

yeah...
Early Adopter

Stunned But Dumb

John Vtuber👁️

Sentient Eyeball, Primarch of Hag Pride Worldwide
Certified Manwhore
The funny thing is that a lot of indie dev studios are making the same mistakes. It's like nearly every fucking small indie dev studio decides "ok, so do we do metroidvania, roguelite or both?". They've completely flooded that genre to the point that unless the name is actually Metroid, I don't think I'm going to touch it.

the obvious solution would be to innovate on whatever aspects of metroidvania or roguelite those developers enjoy, until it's basically an entirely different system altogether, and something people would be interested in playing. which, unfortunately for the short-sighted, goes against whatever trends are currently being sought after.

there's a lesson to be learned here, but it might take the actual game industry crash before indie devs stop trying to chase trends just as hard as the AAAA-devs.

...it's also why, in my quest to make a successor to Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of Sky, it would take an extensive amount of effort to innovate on the "dungeon" aspect so it's not procedurally generated, while offering an equal or greater experience as the base inspiration. But if that's what it takes to stand out, then that's what it takes.

Awoogers

basic ass man who loves the british funny woman

UberSoldat

So it's often just a random autist or a random group of autists that got together and made their own game that ends up rocking, just like the good old days in the 90s. Multiple games on that top 10 list are all from solo autists (Manor Lords, Buckshot Roulette, and Balatro) or just two guys in the case of Supermarket Simulator. Nature is healing.
At least I got a ton of good boomer shooters out of it, and we're still getting bangers like Selaco (even though the dev is pozzed) and Turbo Overkill, which is in my top 3 with Dusk and Ion Fury

PleaseCheckYourReceipts

Suicide Squad was an all around disaster according to the article. Apparently there were multiple cycles where the project leader spent dev time on features that would ultimately be discarded. Then the dev team themselves submitted unsatisfactory work multiple times. It then all culminated in the project leads jumping ship and starting their own studio. Then some randos internally had to take over and push the pile of half baked ideas out the door.
Side note: according to Schreier there are no lay offs at the studio yet because the dev team was already understaffed and Warner Bros is still trying to break into the video game market.

Also I think people are vastly overestimating what pull SBI has with developers and publishers. In this case it's basically what happened to Anthem in 2019 and in 2019 SBI was barely even a thing yet.

The way people act about SBI, you'd think they're the shadow developer of these games. Honestly, the "conspiracy" behind them is immensely retarded. They are a narrative consultant. Whatever consulting they did on SS, Redfall, or Gotham Knights isn't what made those games shit. They would have been shit with or without their involvement.

Putting these 2 together. SBI is a symptom of the core problem, which is why the insiders won't see it. They simply cannot see the problem with some outside writing contractors. But if your company is hiring and listening to incompetents that practice a deeply evil religion, there's a whole host of terrible decision making that gets you to that point. No one on the staff gets a pass for being so pathetic as to not being willing to point out & deal with actual issues. Same issue with Naughty Dog and all the others.

The mass scale entrance of Artists & Visual Effects staff into gaming is what has done all of the damage. It's morphed "game design" from what is a primarly Logic/Structure field into an Artistic/Expression field. There's deep technical skills needed for both, but the mindset and skill sets needed a very different. It also changes the production pipelines when the fundamental aspects of Playing Games has not changed. Games are a mechanical input first medium. Mario Bros & the NES blew up because the controls were so tight. That's what made it work before anything else. We see this at all times and levels of gaming. If the input interface isn't smooth, the market disappears. This is the big issue with VR, frankly.

This is why 1-5 autists sitting in a room grinding out a set of mechanics until they're tight and enjoyable is what causes these small games to pop off. There's more complex layers to it all, as it's a Audio-Visual-Physical medium to interact with and the nexus of that interaction can be leaned on any of the axises, but one of those has to be extremely refined to find a market. i.e. wherever in the matrix of interactions you can find the Dopamine trigger, you've found a game.

Zizara

No faith in Humanity
Dizzy's Wife
DD2 is the most mid game I've played in years but in a passive, inoffensive sort of way. You could dump 100 hours into the game and by the end you won't have found it a waste of time, and then promptly forget about it when the next interesting thing comes around (which I did). Combined with the hype train behind it as the long awaited successor to a cult classic game it captured the same sort of audience who played vanilla Skyrim on console back in the day who unironically thought it was great.
I wouldn't ever recommend it over playing DD1: Dark Arisen, but the majority of people who played 2 don't have the context to understand how much better it should have been. It sold very well for Capcom so it'll probably show up on a bunch of normie lists like this.

Top Bottom