"Because of what happened with a prior graduation in the company, I had already been told by my senpais that oftentimes suspensions would be disguised as 'breaks' by the talents. Now, I understand why."Zaion LanZa

Vidya Games Thread

chihirogumi

So this guy is complaining that people are complaining that he raised the price of the game?

:mikothumbsl:

I mean, this is a honest question but maker of Dusk are you FUCKING RETARDED? Price goes up, less people buy the game, wow. You have a great talent that should be used by current economic pros

I think a wise investment for his game dev company is a PR manager so they can prevent him from shoving his foot down his throat so hard. No, the syncophants sucking your dick in the replies aren't good candidates.

Just finished the entire Trails series (that's been released in the West. Daybreak is pre-ordered). I have a lot of problems with how the Erebonia arc ended, but the high points of the story were worth the wait and the grind. Reverie did solve a couple of my issues with the conclusion of IV and the gameplay loop is very satisfying with all the post-game content. Can't wait for Daybreak.
Best song in the game and it's in the prologue.

Abomination

The abominable amalgamation known as "chyaaat!"
Just finished the entire Trails series (that's been released in the West. Daybreak is pre-ordered). I have a lot of problems with how the Erebonia arc ended, but the high points of the story were worth the wait and the grind. Reverie did solve a couple of my issues with the conclusion of IV and the gameplay loop is very satisfying with all the post-game content. Can't wait for Daybreak.

I've been really lagging on finishing Reverie. Hopefully I can put some time aside soon to dive back into it.

I definitely agree about the Erebonian arc. I could go on for a long time all the problems I have with the arc, particularly with IV. Even still, the positives outweighed the negatives for me. I still really enjoyed the arc, particularly 3. It's my least favorite arc so far, and CS1 and CS2 are probably my least favorites in the series, but I still enjoyed every one of them. Probably my favorite video game series.

Kuri Rinji

Marlon Reis
Just a random Ashenvale PvP raid and this pops up. PC worldwide.

WowClassic_vzvmGbvEz4.png

UberSoldat

MrProcessor

Soldier of Godrick
For all Nasuverse fans out there - Mahoutsukai no Yoru is now available on Steam, with EN interface and subs. Never touched this one, maybe someone here has an opinion?

I probably should have waited to get this on Steam, but I already have it on Switch. I can't say much more except my friend tells me it's a great visual novel, hopefully I'll get some time to play it soon.

Zapan1984

Panko Enjoyer

It seems that Insomniac got a big fucking leak through hacking:
and a Reddit thread with all info so far?
That's a lot of shitty info. Sony trying to have some multiplayer ambitions with Spider-Man 2 Online. They even mentioned GTA Online as an inspiration. They are also considering splitting Spider-Man 3 into 2 games for $50 each.

Brosnan Pierce Brosnan

God's Strongest Smartass
Dizzy's Husband
That's a lot of shitty info. Sony trying to have some multiplayer ambitions with Spider-Man 2 Online. They even mentioned GTA Online as an inspiration. They are also considering splitting Spider-Man 3 into 2 games for $50 each.
It kind of makes sense from their perspective that they are trying to monetize a game like that. The fact is that all the budget numbers from their 1st party games make them all seem like sunk cost fallacies. But instead of cutting budgets and releasing low risk high reward games they are doubling down with these expensive games. Something has to give and I'm guessing that this is the first true sign.

Panko Enjoyer

It kind of makes sense from their perspective that they are trying to monetize a game like that. The fact is that all the budget numbers from their 1st party games make them all seem like sunk cost fallacies. But instead of cutting budgets and releasing low risk high reward games they are doubling down with these expensive games. Something has to give and I'm guessing that this is the first true sign.
They pretty much laid it out during the FTC trial that they don't care about making money with their 1st party games. The whole point of those games is to get people onto the Sony platform so when retards are finished playing their 10hour movie game and they go back to their FIFA/Madden/Apex/CoD, they end up buying all their MTX on the Sony platform and Sony gets a cut. I'm pretty sure their cut of CoD's MTX alone generated far more money than anything they put out. Their 1st party games are just advertisements to lure retards onto their Sony platform, if it goes into the green, that's just a positive.

Sony has talked about how they want to launch a bunch of GaaS but who knows if it will actually succeed. They already shitcanned TLOU's Factions, which was suppose to be a GaaS and there's rumors that Bungie is supposedly having issues developing Marathon.

Last edited:

Panko Enjoyer

Sorry for doublepost but this deserves its own post. Apparently the sales figures for Sony leaked.
To the surprise of no one:
-Miles Morales outsold TLOU2 but TLOU2 had slightly higher net sales because Miles Morales was a cheaper game
-Death Stranding tanked REALLY badly
-Ghost of Tsushima sold like a quarter less copies than TLOU2 but made about 88% of what TLOU2, indicating that a lot of TLOU2's sales were heavily discounted. Also note the colossal difference between the Sell-in and Sell-through numbers for TLOU2. Considering TLOU2's massive budget, Ghost was likely more profitable than TLOU2. This is even more apparent when you add the Director's Cut/Remaster sales
-Turns out the "all of Days Gone's sales were free PSN offer" was overblown and it actually did pretty well for its size
-The Spider-Man franchise is hard carrying Sony
-Bloodborne did pretty good, especially relative to its size and how From was more niche back then
-Surprisingly, Horizon 1 didn't actually turbo bomb. Probably because they bundled that game with every single PS4 bundle imaginable.
-Returnal flopped at only 1 million copies/$57million in net sales
-Demon Soul's Remake only sold 2 million copies

Also this Kojima tweet for reference.

This was around the time Epic Games gave the game for free. So like half their sales are from PC and a significant amount of that is from the free giveaway.

Also random info about the Sony leak:
-The Spider-Man 1 remaster cost $39 million to make and had a total profit of only $11 million
-Ratchet & Clank was a flop, took $81 million to make, had -$8 million in profit
-Miles Morales cost $156 million, made $104 million in profit. Consider that TLOU2 had a budget that was at least $70 million more and barely sold more Net Sales (USD) than Miles Morales
-Spider-Man 2 cost $315 million to make, total profit was $75 million
-Steam Sales Info: Days Gone sold 1.7m copies after 1.5 years while Spider-Man remaster sold 1.3 million after 6 months, Miles Morales sold like shit on PC
-About a $1.5 Billion revenue gap they're afraid might appear when CoD disappears from Playstation, so Sony is clearly panicking, hence the focus on GaaS

agility_

We have some serious streams to discuss 🔨
Early Adopter
Also random info about the Sony leak:
-The Spider-Man 1 remaster cost $39 million to make and had a total profit of only $11 million
-Ratchet & Clank was a flop, took $81 million to make, had -$8 million in profit
-Miles Morales cost $156 million, made $104 million in profit. Consider that TLOU2 had a budget that was at least $70 million more and barely sold more Net Sales (USD) than Miles Morales
-Spider-Man 2 cost $315 million to make, total profit was $75 million
-Steam Sales Info: Days Gone sold 1.7m copies after 1.5 years while Spider-Man remaster sold 1.3 million after 6 months, Miles Morales sold like shit on PC
-About a $1.5 Billion revenue gap they're afraid might appear when CoD disappears from Playstation, so Sony is clearly panicking, hence the focus on GaaS
Christ almighty. With development costs all swollen up like that it's no wonder they keep pushing for Current Year political correctness, they really need something to back that investment up. How do people expect there to be a PS6, at the rate they're losing money that is more likely not going to happen.

Panko Enjoyer

Christ almighty. With development costs all swollen up like that it's no wonder they keep pushing for Current Year political correctness, they really need something to back that investment up. How do people expect there to be a PS6, at the rate they're losing money that is more likely not going to happen.
They listed their 2020 net sales as $1.614 B and their 2021 net sales as $556 M. That's before development costs and marketing. It really is no surprise why they threw everything they could at making sure they didn't lose CoD on playstation because that alone is a fuck off huge revenue stream for them.

MrProcessor

Soldier of Godrick

Biboo finished Lies of P, she really liked it.

Empty_Inbox

🏆 Thread Recap links are in my Profile Posts
Early Adopter
Deranged Archivist
Oh, they are planning something again

Superduper Samurai

Early Adopter
A possible collapse of the Triple A industry would be interesting to see, i dont even know if that would be even be possible but some of these budgets are getting ridicolous and Fortnite is retarded

Thomas Talus

Εκ λόγου άλλος εκβαίνει λόγος
Early Adopter
A possible collapse of the Triple A industry would be interesting to see, i dont even know if that would be even be possible but some of these budgets are getting ridicolous and Fortnite is retarded
If it means a resurgence of the AA industry that focuses on novel ideas within limited budgets, that might even be a good thing.

Alchemyth

Kuro is fully translated on /fg/, and work on kuro 2 is nearing completion, with only the random npc dialogue not translated yet.

PleaseCheckYourReceipts

If it means a resurgence of the AA industry that focuses on novel ideas within limited budgets, that might even be a good thing.

It's probably marketing that's getting really out of hand. One of the big problems in Movies, generally, was when they figured out that the Ad Spend more directly correlated than anything else to the final outcome. That said, they need to have smaller teams making 4 games at 20 million each. They'll make more because the one game that truly pops off will make up for the rest. But that comes at nailing the mechanics early.

Sony's other issues is that a "Sony Game" goes through a couple of rounds of pitches, so it's a 6-7 year development cycle. The actual cost only starts getting nutty because of that.

Doyoulike4

I'm both glad and depressed that I got to experience what felt like the golden age of single and double A games during the fifth/sixth and to some extent seventh generation of consoles. I got to experience it as it was happening, but also have seen what feels like the death of the single and double A game. It really felt like even big publishers were taking chances on really interesting low-medium budget games on both PC and console quite regularly. I don't know if it's necessarily that you can't do it anymore or it's just a choice to not, but it seems like it's really gone to the extremes of basically everything being indie or AAA with far less releases in that A and AA space.

Panko Enjoyer

Top Bottom