"Oooh! Magnyamu is here! I got the magnyamu, but no bullets"Shishiro Botan

The Anime Thread

Realticule

Prime Indigenous Pipkin Pippa Appreciator.
Early Adopter
I CAN STILL FIX HER
✡︎ God's Chosen Schizo ✡︎
Mashoku Tensei also takes itself rather seriously even if it has a few jokes in it. The comedy isekai is a kind of a new thing.

Nenélove

Menace of the Asylum
Early Adopter
Nene's Pet Latinx
Latinx/Latine
Mashoku Tensei also takes itself rather seriously even if it has a few jokes in it. The comedy isekai is a kind of a new thing.
Mushoku tensei is probably the best isekai to date, i have very few issues with it other than some of its weird world building, like the several different groups of titles given to certain characters that get really confusing and aren't ever explained that well, the story also slows down a lot after homeboy settles down but it actually does effectively convey how much time has passed and how different characters/places have changed.

I do think it embodies a problem that a lot of isekai have: The lack of any inner drive for the MCs, you see it in a lot of isekai, the MC's only "drive" to do anything is "I want to live a nice life with my family/friends/country", the only reason the plot happens is because someone else wants to fuck with the MC, aka; an external conflict.
MCs don't really have any goals or motivations and if they do it's just the cliché "I wanna get stronger", I don't blame MT for using this trope since it does it better than anyone else, but it does get tiring.

Realticule

Prime Indigenous Pipkin Pippa Appreciator.
Early Adopter
I CAN STILL FIX HER
✡︎ God's Chosen Schizo ✡︎
Mushoku tensei is probably the best isekai to date, i have very few issues with it other than some of its weird world building, like the several different groups of titles given to certain characters that get really confusing and aren't ever explained that well, the story also slows down a lot after homeboy settles down but it actually does effectively convey how much time has passed and how different characters/places have changed.

I do think it embodies a problem that a lot of isekai have: The lack of any inner drive for the MCs, you see it in a lot of isekai, the MC's only "drive" to do anything is "I want to live a nice life with my family/friends/country", the only reason the plot happens is because someone else wants to fuck with the MC, aka; an external conflict.
MCs don't really have any goals or motivations and if they do it's just the cliché "I wanna get stronger", I don't blame MT for using this trope since it does it better than anyone else, but it does get tiring.
The pacing is also very good and it does well when it comes to mixing the lighthearted bits with the more serious ones to punctuate that it's not just a video game for the main character. A lot of shows tend to derail rather heavily as they get more seasons, with Re:Zero being a great example as season one is fantastic but then season two just feels like a mess that drags on. Sure, there's still good stuff about season 2, and parts of it are rather good, but it clearly has some serious issues. I didn't really get that from Moshoku Tensei, if anything the second season was tighter than the first when it came to pacing.

Nenélove

Menace of the Asylum
Early Adopter
Nene's Pet Latinx
Latinx/Latine
The pacing is also very good and it does well when it comes to mixing the lighthearted bits with the more serious ones to punctuate that it's not just a video game for the main character. A lot of shows tend to derail rather heavily as they get more seasons, with Re:Zero being a great example as season one is fantastic but then season two just feels like a mess that drags on. Sure, there's still good stuff about season 2, and parts of it are rather good, but it clearly has some serious issues. I didn't really get that from Moshoku Tensei, if anything the second season was tighter than the first when it came to pacing.
It only gets better tbh, Mushoku tensei starts out fine if a bit generic, the MC literally narrates everything the reader needs to know which i really dislike but it's common practice for LN, then it gets more and more interesting and hits its peak with the part that will become season 3 and possibly season 4, then its fine if a bit dragged out until it ends.

Nenélove

Menace of the Asylum
Early Adopter
Nene's Pet Latinx
Latinx/Latine
For some reason i never realized this was an isekai, i had heard of it but thought it was some sort of game or shounen and never paid much attention to it.
So i tried reading the LN and just couldn't get into it :depressedtako: The laidback way all of the characters talk like they know this is all fake and are just standing around chatting about how funny the situation is, the meta commentary about isekai, the author constantly TELLING instead of SHOWING and blatant info dumps make me unable to go a paragraph without rolling my eyes. I don't think the premise or characters are bad but the way it is presented makes it a chore to get through even the first chapter.
I will try to watch the animu to see if that hooks me, otherwise ill probably just put it off until i have absolutely nothing else to consume.

Look at me trying to sound like some sort of critic to a bunch of strangers... my autism knows no bounds

Last edited:

Banana Hammock

Born to Sneed
Early Adopter
Speaking of isekai, I can't fucking wait for season 3 of Konosuba.

Hopefully it's not a huge letdown like The Breaker: Third Wave was. I don't know what the hell he was thinking, making it a fucking webtoon.

AO Cody

Go read Cloudscratcher
Early Adopter
Well if you've ever actually read the light novels you'd know the guy behind Konosuba isn't exactly the sharpest tool... The light novels are all two sentence paragraphs that sound like a child wrote them (i.e. "the lake, which is the large body of water").

Konosuba is basically a DeviantArt guy's OCs that somehow got picked up by a studio.

Nenélove

Menace of the Asylum
Early Adopter
Nene's Pet Latinx
Latinx/Latine
Well if you've ever actually read the light novels you'd know the guy behind Konosuba isn't exactly the sharpest tool... The light novels are all two sentence paragraphs that sound like a child wrote them (i.e. "the lake, which is the large body of water").

Konosuba is basically a DeviantArt guy's OCs that somehow got picked up by a studio.
To me kobosuba is like the shrek of isekai, it mocks and derides all of the tired conventions of its genre but that in itself has been so overplayed that it has ironically become a trope. I don't like any of the characters anyway, i wish the mc would just pull out and leave of all these leeches who do nothing but get him into trouble.

Banana Hammock

Born to Sneed
Early Adopter

I'm fine with poor technical skills, as long as the world and story are interesting. Obviously, the former would enhance the latter, it's not a requirement.

AO Cody

Go read Cloudscratcher
Early Adopter
There's poor technical skills and there's "I see what they mean by most light novels being just a first draft finished by the editors."

Nenélove

Menace of the Asylum
Early Adopter
Nene's Pet Latinx
Latinx/Latine
There's poor technical skills and there's "I see what they mean by most light novels being just a first draft finished by the editors."
Don't many LNs just begin as random stories posted by nobodies on webnovel sites? Mostly written between 2008-2014?
Then they get streamlined by a professional editor-

AO Cody

Go read Cloudscratcher
Early Adopter

Nenélove

Menace of the Asylum
Early Adopter
Nene's Pet Latinx
Latinx/Latine
Nah, it goes deeper than that...

https://japantoday.com/category/fea...’t-write-aren’t-the-ones-creating-their-books

Most LNs are straight-up written by low-tier fanfic writers that just write to play with their OCs and often have to be reminded to have things like "a story" and "a point."
That is quite funny ngl, but not surprising, i have toyed with trying to write an isekai that fits my (stupidly strict) standards, but i'm admittedly not the most confident in my capabilities and i wouldn't be doing it to get famous since i already have a in-the-works career in something totally different.

Fentanyl Floyd

4 YEARS SOBER

CalciumAnimal

Drink Milk
Speaking of isekai, I can't fucking wait for season 3 of Konosuba.

Hopefully it's not a huge letdown like The Breaker: Third Wave was. I don't know what the hell he was thinking, making it a fucking webtoon.
Gonna throw my hat into the ring here.
Konosuba sucks (EDIT: ok maybe sucks is too harsh but the anime is drastically different) the anime you watched is not Kobosuba in the sense that it was an insane adaptation that fiddled with many knobs to get it to hit just right. I still to this day have not watched season 2 but i like season 1.

For those of you who are hungry for BETTER Konosuba can I recommend Princess Connect RE : Dive solid jokes great animation and had me in tears at the end two seasons so far hope for a 3rd

Also shout out to it's actually impressive attention to continuity and world lore

The Proctor

Manager Arc Unlocked?
Staff member
Lovebug Proctologist
Absolute kino, except for the current arc which is medicore

My biggest issue with Re:Zero is that it got rid of Best Girl Rem. Then again, I also feel like the author is weirdly self-conscious about the whole returning from death aspect and romance in general. There's something inherently creepy about all the relationships Subaru has, in that they all think he's amazing after he has technically gotten them all killed in horrible ways literally dozens of times in some cases.

Fentanyl Floyd

4 YEARS SOBER
My biggest issue with Re:Zero is that it got rid of Best Girl Rem. Then again, I also feel like the author is weirdly self-conscious about the whole returning from death aspect and romance in general. There's something inherently creepy about all the relationships Subaru has, in that they all think he's amazing after he has technically gotten them all killed in horrible ways literally dozens of times in some cases.
I think it fits with Re:Zero's fucked up setting. Worth noting Subaru has been killed by most of the significant characters either directly or indirectly. There's a whole thing in a later arc where Subaru realizes that Rem was justified in killing him earlier on the story

CalciumAnimal

Drink Milk
I think it fits with Re:Zero's fucked up setting. Worth noting Subaru has been killed by most of the significant characters either directly or indirectly. There's a whole thing in a later arc where Subaru realizes that Rem was justified in killing him earlier on the story

Re:Zero gives the perfect excuse to have an unlikable protagonist because it can murder him every time he decides to do something shitty it's cathartic when he deserves it and tragic once he starts putting in real effort and traumatic when those earnest attempts result in more deaths or even more tragic outcomes See Also Puck freezing not only the entire country but Emilia Rem Ram presumably Roswall and finally Subaru who understands nothing except to internalize it as another failure and death Also Subaru being genuinely sympathetic when it's revealed why hes the way that he is helps a ton.

Seth

Fubuki's Best Friendo
Mf really said one piece and naruto for starter fans. Wtf.

Imo i would go for

HxH
Assassination classroom
Demon slayer
Akame ga kill
Dbz

( im a normie in term of anime ) but for a new fan i think thats a pretty good list

CalciumAnimal

Drink Milk
I have recommended anime a few times and i have had more success with recommending shorter series or even movies over everything else.

Also I would not call Akame Ga Kill a "normie" Pick even if the anime meddled

On my end

Full Metal Alchemist
Dragonball (Specifically the Broly Movie)
Pokemon Movie 3
Zettai Karen Children: Hyoubu Kyosuke:The Unlimited
Black Cat

Top Bottom