"You can slap me but not the sandwich"Ouro Kronii

The Anime Thread

Nenélove

Menace of the Asylum
Early Adopter
Nene's Pet Latinx
Latinx/Latine
I kind of agree, but I'm not sure if it was aimless. I do think that we didn't get anywhere in the second season, as it started and ended in the same exact place, but I think the story they told and the characters they created were good enough to give it a pass in that even if it didn't go anywhere, it was a good story in itself and contributed to the world building. I will agree that the violence and grotesque aspects were the weakest parts, and probably needed to be toned down as you become numb to them after awhile with the worst being how rapidly cave girl just explodes for no reason.

I think that's why I don't really get it, it feels like it's a different show that they wedged into the series, but it's also good enough that I don't mind that. Though the weak aspects of the series really show through in the second season and I hope they pull back on them if there's a season 3 as there's definitely creativity in the show as a whole.

Edit: I think that in a lot of ways the season can be viewed as filler, but I also don't think filler is bad if it's interesting in itself and tells its own story. Maybe it's one of those things that best kept to an expanded universe, though that's usually a failure, and my enjoyment of the Second Season comes not from the show itself but from what the season was in itself, which is why I'm conflicted on it.
Dunno, i am an isekai fag (the lowest of the low subhuman i know, i hate trope-y shit too) so this one is definitely not what i usually watch (i prefer LN over anime these days anyways), but i didn't like being stuck in this village of weirdos for the whole season while everyone slowly dies horrifically, also layer 6 was hyped so much in season 1 that when you finally see it you get let down.

Realticule

Prime Indigenous Pipkin Pippa Appreciator.
Early Adopter
I CAN STILL FIX HER
✡︎ God's Chosen Schizo ✡︎
Dunno, i am an isekai fag (the lowest of the low subhuman i know, i hate trope-y shit too) so this one is definitely not what i usually watch (i prefer LN over anime these days anyways), but i didn't like being stuck in this village of weirdos for the whole season while everyone slowly dies horrifically, also layer 6 was hyped so much in season 1 that when you finally see it you get let down.
I'm ok with Isekai and I usually second monitor anime as background noise. I'm not sure what I think of the village as there are things about it that I don't like, but I think they did enough to make me enjoy the ride. As for layer 6, I'm with you, it just feels like another layer and not something special, and things like sending up the balloon doesn't make shit for sense with the ocean above them. That's what's so conflicting about the thing, it's good on its own sense, but bad as a continuation of the series. So I really like it as the adventure is fun and the weirdos are sympathetic, but a lot of it did feel rushed and out of place which was a letdown.

If this was its own show, instead of a season 2, I don't know what I'd have made out of it. On one hand, some of it seems like shit, but other parts are really good without the context of the series.

Banana Hammock

Born to Sneed
Early Adopter
i prefer LN over anime
My nigga. I'm the same way. Don't have the patience for full episodes of anime, when I can get 3 times as far in the story by just reading the light novel (or manga). Obviously, I make exceptions for series that are anime-only.

Nenélove

Menace of the Asylum
Early Adopter
Nene's Pet Latinx
Latinx/Latine
My nigga. I'm the same way. Don't have the patience for full episodes of anime, when I can get 3 times as far in the story by just reading the light novel (or manga). Obviously, I make exceptions for series that are anime-only.
I used to watch a ton of animu but eventually switched to mainly manga/LN, i only make exceptions for series with amazing animation or those where the anime actually improves upon the LN's/manga's story (there is only one and you know which one it is).
I have always been more into books anyway and some of my favourite LNs have gotten some of the WORST adaptations animation wise, authors shouldn't settle for such low-tier trash to represent their stories.

Even then, reading isekai is like a damn chore, by the 50th power-trip story that invokes no suspense or mystery because the MC FUCKING EXPLAINS EVERYTHING AND LEAVES NOTHING TO THE IMAGINATION, you really start to wonder how these fucks get published at all...

DrStupid

Resident Undertaker
Early Adopter
So after watching Mobile Suit Gundam the Witch from Mercury and being quite pleasantly surprised by it I finally agreed to a suicide pact with my own brain and decided to look up reviews of it on Youtube.

HOLY
FUCKING
SHIT

You ever watched something so retarded that you immediately wanted to do it yourself just to prove it can be done better? Yeah, I might actually do that, simply because the sheer amount of concentrated soy I was just exposed to is a stronger motivation than a hot poker to a horse's ass.

I'm fairly new to the franchise, but not tho the genre, and even tho I enjoyed the 1st season of Gwitch I can't help but wonder why Sunrise/Bandai decided to go this route for the new gundam show. It's not like they're hurting for money, as Gundam is Bandai's 2nd most profitable brand.

So, I've decided to re-watch Saber Marionette J with subs instead of the local dub I watched it the first time. Holy shit, It's like I'm hearing Miko everytime Lime speaks.

The Rrat

Phoneposting, Rat-loving menace
Early Adopter
Frankly, anything that is not UC is complete dog to me, nowadays, anyway. Non-UC shows lets them experiment more and not tie them down to the constraints of UC's narrative, though.

I am also confused why people think this series is so out there compared to other AU Gundams. Some of them are very out-there and worse than what I have seen of other AU series. Though it is not Gundam, it is definitely less weird than Oukouchi's work on Code Geass.

MrProcessor

Soldier of Godrick
If you're looking for a good anime to watch, check out The Irresponsible Captain Tylor. It's been over a decade since I watched it, so I can't guarantee it's as good as I remember, but I remember really enjoying it at the time.
Tylor is great. I think I like it even better because I grew up watching Star Blazers (aka Space Battleship Yamato. Incidentally, I also think the Yamato remake is good.).

I have Tylor on VHS and I got it again on DVD. I kept the tapes anyway. Hopefully Cassette Girl will get them in some dystopian future.

(I also found this forum through the vTuber thread on KF recently.)

The Proctor

Manager Arc Unlocked?
Staff member
Lovebug Proctologist
1677205013869.png

sweet, almost 10% of the way through episode 1. send help

Nenélove

Menace of the Asylum
Early Adopter
Nene's Pet Latinx
Latinx/Latine

DrStupid

Resident Undertaker
Early Adopter
Frankly, anything that is not UC is complete dog to me, nowadays, anyway. Non-UC shows lets them experiment more and not tie them down to the constraints of UC's narrative, though.

I am also confused why people think this series is so out there compared to other AU Gundams. Some of them are very out-there and worse than what I have seen of other AU series. Though it is not Gundam, it is definitely less weird than Oukouchi's work on Code Geass.
NGL, I'd like to see someting else than "space nazis invade space nato" happening in UC.

Godzilla1984

Early Adopter
NGL, I'd like to see someting else than "space nazis invade space nato" happening in UC.
The Da Vinci Code Mobile Suit Gundam Unicorn was a nice change of pace.

The Rrat

Phoneposting, Rat-loving menace
Early Adopter
That's not really what Hathaway's Flash is about, either.

Realticule

Prime Indigenous Pipkin Pippa Appreciator.
Early Adopter
I CAN STILL FIX HER
✡︎ God's Chosen Schizo ✡︎
I used to watch a ton of animu but eventually switched to mainly manga/LN, i only make exceptions for series with amazing animation or those where the anime actually improves upon the LN's/manga's story (there is only one and you know which one it is).

I'm the opposite of that, but I generally watch anime on the second monitor and mostly look over when something interesting is happening. That's also why I'm usually looking for dubs until I know enough Japanese to listen passively.

The Proctor

Manager Arc Unlocked?
Staff member
Lovebug Proctologist
4313 words. My autism is unstoppable.

chihirogumi

Any seasonfags like me that keep up with currently airing shows? I am starting to lose steam with the sheer amount that's airing this winter. I've only been keeping up with sequel shows like Vinland Saga S2, My Hero Academia S6, Iruma-kun S3, and To Your Eternity S2. This season has had the most isekai/fantasy trash I've ever seen.

MrProcessor

Soldier of Godrick
Any seasonfags like me that keep up with currently airing shows? I am starting to lose steam with the sheer amount that's airing this winter. I've only been keeping up with sequel shows like Vinland Saga S2, My Hero Academia S6, Iruma-kun S3, and To Your Eternity S2. This season has had the most isekai/fantasy trash I've ever seen.
Well, I keep up with Overlord. The season ended already, but the movie is coming. They're going to cover the Holy Kingdom Arc in the movie.

Nenélove

Menace of the Asylum
Early Adopter
Nene's Pet Latinx
Latinx/Latine
Yeah this season is full of garbage, i seriously have no idea how all of these repetitive, boring ass isekai web novels get published AND THEN PICKED UP FOR AN ANIME
"REINCARNATED AS A CLEANING BROOM IN A WORLD WITH NO MEN, BECOMING THE MOST POWERFUL WARRIOR IN THE UNIVERSE WITH 19 CHEAT ABILITIES AND A HAREM CONSISTING OF ALL WOMEN IN THE WORLD" It honestly makes me fucking ashamed
Well, I keep up with Overlord. The season ended already, but the movie is coming. They're going to cover the Holy Kingdom Arc in the movie.
Overlord kinda sucks ngl, specially after they start taking over shit and any tension is gone because you know these people are invincible and the rest of the story is just a never-ending powertrip.

IMO the author should have focused on the mc's friends more and made the outside world more of a threat, my favorite part was the one where they had to pretend to be normal people to blend in and i wish the story had kept that up. A suspenseful story where any fuckup can lead to actual danger is 10 times more interesting than "Im lvl 99, you're level 1, you're dead haha noob git gud"

My sincere wish for isekai is that some day someone will write an isekai that takes itself seriously, give me attack on titan or fma brotherhood in isekai form. Give me a story that wants to be more than just some parody of a parody that knows how trope-ridden it is but continues to bash its head against the same shitty tropes.

I know it will probably never happen, because the nips view isekai as a "joke genre" and it can never be serious and dignified, the world-building is always gonna be some ripoff of DND and the characters are always gonna be cardboard boxes. Because isekai is not a gourmet meal, it's a fast food burger, you scarf it down and forget about it, it feels good going down but it has no nutrition, it's just sugary filler and shitty tropes that the authors have perfected over the years to gain engagement.

It's just bait for mindless otaku that would rather have fucking numbers and stats in a book rather than actual themes or suspense or some sense of wonder about the world or the characters... i guess the genre is simply not made for that, i'm probably looking for something in a place where it has no reason being. Like looking for gourmet food in a mc donalds, and people go to mc donalds to eat greasy shit, just like people read/watch isekai to consume something that doesn't really challenge or move you but it makes you feel good and that's all you care about.

The closest we ever got to my knowledge is mushoku tensei, but even that is pretty comedic and light-hearted, which is not a bad thing but it doesn't quite scratch my itch for a fantasy adventure in the LN/Anime medium.

Last edited:

The Proctor

Manager Arc Unlocked?
Staff member
Lovebug Proctologist
My sincere wish for isekai is that some day someone will write an isekai that takes itself seriously, give me attack on titan or fma brotherhood in isekai form.

Re:Zero.

Godzilla1984

Early Adopter
My sincere wish for isekai is that some day someone will write an isekai that takes itself seriously, give me attack on titan or fma brotherhood in isekai form.

chihirogumi

Just looked at MAL's winter season chart and filtered by genre. EIGHT shows with the isekai tag, and this doesn't include the few other shows that are fantasy that share a lot of the same tropes. Two of these fantasy shows are non-isekai (same world) reincarnations. :gunpeko:

Top Bottom